Author Topic: Multiple posts by new members. Death penalty or Guantanamo Bay?  (Read 2257 times)

Offline wilfredTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Multiple posts by new members. Death penalty or Guantanamo Bay?
« on: November 02, 2017, 11:55:36 pm »
/.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 05:49:19 am by wilfred »

The following users thanked this post: nanofrog, Someone, Richard Crowley

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Multiple posts by new members. Death penalty or Guantanamo Bay?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 12:06:10 am »
Multiple posts are one thing, duplicate threads are another.  :--

Lately it would seem there's still some more tuning to do with the forum as duplicate successive posts from the same member are not uncommon.
If the Mods and Admin what to get a handle on the frequency of these crimes then we should all report them.

It's happened to me once AFAIK and I've just removed one of the duplicate posts.....I can't understand why more members don't.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 12:25:50 am »
It does seem heavy-handed to threaten banning someone for something that's not mentioned in the forum rules.  Ideally, the forum software would allow one message to appear in multiple areas.  If that's not possible, a single-post limit is appropriate, but the rules should reflect that.

Ed

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 12:34:21 am »
Sent to Guantanamo Bay. Then shot. Any survivors shot again :)

Seriously though, I've seen it from both angles - clueless newbies spraying posts all over the place because they don't know better (i.e., not intentional spamming), and hard-pressed mods having to repeatedly clean up the mess, which gets old real quick. A warning for first offence seems appropriate though.

More annoying is the first time poster who goes straight to the Buy/Sell forum and advertises his stuff for sale. That's abuse of the forum really - treating it like a free place to post adverts. Most (?) other forums impose a minimum post count before being able to access For Sale ads as a token restriction so they actually engage in some sort of discussion first. But meh, it is what it is :)

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 12:38:52 am »
I have recently seen multiple threads on the same subject from the same poster.  It's annoying but I DON'T see it as a reason to ban someone from the forum.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 06:31:53 am by MarkF »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 12:43:24 am »
I don't know why I've never  seen duplicate posts. I have on a couple of occasions had a browser issue where I have gotten confused with whether my post got made. I go back and check to see if it was duplicated. Different issue though to the one I am trying to draw attention to.

I'm specifically speaking about new members not being sure where their post should go and placing the same post in several boards. Presumably they are anxious their post won't go unnoticed.
Then you should change the thread title to read Multiple Threads not posts. It wasn't clear which you meant so I covered both bases.  ;)

Simon gets a few multiple treads reported to him and deals with them appropriately, locks one and adds a warning then lets the other run. All fair enough IMO.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 04:25:23 am »
Anyone not properly using the term 'cross posting' when appropriate should be immediately banned and I'm reporting you via the convenient button included. :D

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 10:15:06 am »
Just limit the number of threads/post someone can make.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 02:07:03 pm »
 How many? Just one area? If they are allowed to post in more than one area, the possible problem already exists. Only post in one section until so many posts? If so, what section would be allowed, as this would just encourage postings int eh wrong section.

I doubt Dave or Simon or anyone else involved in running this place wants to be bothered with moderating all new users until they are 'ready' to be unleashed, which is how the model railroad forum I'm involved with works, and even with an actual employee of the forum host dedicated a couple of hours per day plus a group of volunteer moderators also capable of approving posts, there can be a day's delay at times waiting for a response from a new poster.  This mangy lot here is pretty good at self moderating, and while it's not anarchy by any means, the rules here are by no means onerous and the disturbances are generally few and far between.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 05:59:24 pm »
There are two sides to this problem. Of course, the spam-like flooding which some users generate, is unsavoury.
Especially when they just repeat the thread because they did not like the answers they got. Such as the guy who is trying to get a advanced lab power supply designed for free.
On the other side, I have asked for help/information on some interesting and rare pieces of equipment (in Test&Measurement). I didn't receive a single answer. I thought about reposting in 'Repair', until I noticed the commotion some double posts did cause. I simply gave up on them.

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 06:16:17 pm »
Does the forum software not have a merge function?  Often forum admins just merge duplicate threads.  Screws up the chronology a bit but,meh.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 06:34:49 pm »
Does the forum software not have a merge function?  Often forum admins just merge duplicate threads.  Screws up the chronology a bit but,meh.
It does.
Dave has used it on rare occasions when threads are worthy of it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf