Author Topic: Mystery (to me) bnc probe ends  (Read 1200 times)

Offline super7800Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Mystery (to me) bnc probe ends
« on: November 26, 2021, 01:02:46 am »
I recieved (a bunch, 50+) of these probes with a local purchase of two tek 7904a oscilloscopes. I would have just assumed they where custom to an application, as searching the part number turned up nothing, but I did recieve one awhile back with a previous purchase, so perhaps they are not uncommon, and I am simply unaware of them. There seems to be two varieties, one of which seems to inject what I assume to be -15v into the signal through a resistor.

My question is has anyone seen these before or know of their uses? Perhaps to probe points on a custom pcb?

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Mystery (to me) bnc probe ends
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 02:09:03 am »
I think it might be something to do with the "pre-charge" function of the 7A19 plugin.

https://w140.com/tekwiki/index.php/7A19

Offline super7800Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 05:48:10 pm »
Interesting thought, but I'm unsure as to how the connector shown relates to the precharge function. Are you referring to the "yellow connector" on one of the types of probes? Thanks

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 12:28:52 am »
Interesting thought, but I'm unsure as to how the connector shown relates to the precharge function. Are you referring to the "yellow connector" on one of the types of probes? Thanks
I was thinking more about your comment re "injecting -12v into the signal."

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 09:31:01 pm »
That looks like a homemade low-z offset probe, which is something that would definitely be used with a 7904.  Low-z probes are simple and high bandwidth, but their low input impedance can upset the DC operating point of some circuits.  An offset probe prevents this by presenting a high DC impedance at a voltage other than ground.  They were commonly used for ECL.

https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/P6230

An offset probe can be as simple as injecting a current into the dividing junction of a low-Z probe.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 09:43:54 pm by David Hess »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf