Author Topic: Mythbusters returns  (Read 5038 times)

Offline Rick LawTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Mythbusters returns
« on: November 09, 2017, 07:30:10 pm »
Since Mythbusters has been mentioned in this forum a few times, I suppose this would be news of interest.  Mythbusters will return within a week! 

Season 15 Premiere Nov 15 (Next Wednesday) with new hosts Jonathan and Brian.

The following users thanked this post: sony mavica, MK14

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Mythbusters returns
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 08:39:24 pm »
Looks like an attempt to capitalize on the name.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:44:37 pm by ataradov »
Alex

The following users thanked this post: janoc, sony mavica

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:44:01 pm »
#notmybusters

They should just name it differently. I predict same fate as Top Gear after those 3 lovable assholes left

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 08:52:50 pm »
Re: New Top Gear... Yea, it just didn't work.  A shame about the "Extra Gear" show.  I thought it wasn't half bad.  They should have stuck with it.

Finally, speaking of BBC, I've somehow become addicted to the "Dirk Gently" series.  Nothing like the books of course, but I watched one and got hooked.  Anyone else?

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 09:04:15 pm »
Finally, speaking of BBC, I've somehow become addicted to the "Dirk Gently" series.  Nothing like the books of course, but I watched one and got hooked.  Anyone else?

Oh yes, I thought they were fantastic, Stephen Mangan seemed perfect for the part. I wish there were more episodes, that's another way of saying I wish Douglas Adams was still with us. I met him once at a book signing.

Have you tried the US series of "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency"? I found it unwatchable, but maybe it is worth persevering.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Online Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 09:07:40 pm »

Austin Princess Appreciation Club.

I read one of the books after watching the TV shows.  Halfway through it left reality and entered Valhalla.  I need to find some more.

EDIT: Looks like there's a new TV series of holistic superiority out.  Don't know if it's any good.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:10:55 pm by Whales »

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 09:25:05 pm »
Oh.  Um, I am actually talking about the new one.  Samuel Barnett, Elijah Wood.  Like I said above, nothing like the book.  I guess it is showing on "BBC America" here.  Is is not showing in the UK?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 09:37:40 pm »
Since Mythbusters has been mentioned in this forum a few times, I suppose this would be news of interest.  Mythbusters will return within a week! 

When will these people get, people watch the show for the hosts. This isn't The Wiggles aimed at 4yo

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 09:43:43 pm »
When will these people get, people watch the show for the hosts. This isn't The Wiggles aimed at 4yo

Yes, exactly.  And it's funny that your conceptions about the hosts matter too.  Once I learned that Adam and Jamie were simply coworkers and not actually friends (actually didn't like each other), I kept watching the show, but found it much less enjoyable.

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 10:16:12 pm »
That made it more fascinating for me. They are so contrasting characters.. that made it interesting to watch.

But this restarting of the series seems like recycling a popular brand. Which is fair I guess, just wait and see what happens. Just don't expect it's the same because of the name.

Like with Top Gear departures, I think the first season of Grand Tour was a bit mediocre compared to their top seasons of Top gear. There were some enjoyable films in them, but most of their stuff seemed to rely on recycled jokes and some awkward scenes. I hope they had time to reflect on all of this and look forward to an improved season 2.
The old Top Gear show had very different hosts, which I can't really get adjusted to. I really like Chris Harris from his YouTube work, but that doesn't make a show for me.

I think the combination of good hosts, but also good producers and creative ideas is important in a good show. I like to be surprised, so will check it out soon.
But yeah.. good producers cannot fix the bad 'chemistry' between hosts.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:17:52 pm by hans »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 02:26:23 pm »

Yup, just wouldn't be the same without The Walrus, The Puppy and The Kids.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline peppper

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 05:58:30 pm »

Hmm, I'll reserve comment until I've seen it. But they do have large shoes to fill !

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 06:07:27 pm »

Which is why we watch dave with the killer knife on mailbag blogs
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 08:12:19 pm »
I get that they couldn't get Adam and Jamie back.
But what is their excuse for not having Tory Belleci, Kari Byron or Grant Imahara ?

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 08:17:57 pm »
Perhaps they realized that Mythbusters would fail without Adam and Jamie?

Offline peppper

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 09:37:41 pm »
But what is their excuse for not having Tory Belleci, Kari Byron or Grant Imahara ?
I suppose the show can't go on forever without changing, But it's always hard to re-launch with a new cast. Just look at Top Gear.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 09:46:47 pm »
I don't think those three were very pleased with how things transpired the last time.

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 02:24:13 am »
I watched the pilot episode uploaded on BT a few days ago.   Jonathan and Brian have a serious uphill battle to climb here.  I hope they get their 'appeal' together within a few episodes quick,,, otherwise the show wont make it.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 03:07:20 am »
With all the genuine myth busting and BS breaking action available on Youtube, why bother with a halfassed show  :palm:

and the ordeal of sitting through dumbass commercials in between?  :=\

No thanks, it's 2017   8)

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 04:14:36 am »
Watching Mailbag re-runs or hunting down missed episodes is still a better myth busting bet imho    :clap:    Adam/Jamie are boring hosts anyway...

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 02:34:04 am »

They were low energy compared to Jamie and Adam.  They could not carry the show.
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 04:01:48 am »
I really liked the first few seasons of MythBusters, however after a few years, it felt like they were running out of salient myths to bust. It also felt like they were streeeeeetching out 30 minutes of content into an hour worth of show.

Basically, the show became: 5 minutes worth of content, 5 minutes worth of commercials, 5 minutes repeating what happened before the commercials, 5 minutes of content, 5 minutes of commercials, 5 minutes repeating what happened before the commercials, rinse repeat for an hour.

That’s why I stopped watching. (Also because Discovery’s Lawyers wouldn’t let Adam and Jamie do dangerous shit anymore; they were worth too much. The three interns were much less interesting and felt forced or faked somehow on the show.)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Rick LawTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 05:10:35 am »
Because of some of the discussion here, I went back into IMDB to see who else is there.  I just saw that while episode 1 has different host, Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage is back on episode 2.

Attach is a screenshot of what I see now.

Here is the IMDB link.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383126/

I personally would like to see Kari Byron and Grant Imahara back as well.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:13:03 am by Rick Law »

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 07:59:16 am »
Great to see it back, it will be awkward with different hosts though, but willing to give it a chance.   I also missed the show where they nominated the new hosts, I can't remember what it was called but it was basically an elimination type show as many people applied. 

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 03:20:00 pm »

Probably some random hacker/maker was cheaper to hire  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf