Author Topic: Need help with LED module  (Read 8952 times)

Offline PetrosATopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Need help with LED module
« on: November 16, 2011, 03:49:32 am »
I have a customer with a hanging lamp that she claims is from "Europe" but there's no info on it anywhere. It has three LED modules along the bottom of it that fit into a gimbal ring for an MR11 lamp. The modules are fed with 120V line voltage, so there must be step-down happening on the module itself. I need replacement modules for it but can't find anything like this on the net. Any help would be appreciated.

I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Need help with LED module
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 04:22:16 am »
I'm not clear what you are looking for? Is it whole item pictured, with circular PCB containing LEDs and electronics and two wires attached?

If so, it would appear to be a custom manufactured part. Reverse engineer and repair would seem to be a more practical option than trying to find an identical replacement.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 04:25:44 am »
It would be best if I could get a complete replacement. I'm hoping that this is some kind of standard item outside of the US, but you might be right that it's a custom made thing.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 05:48:55 am »
I don't think it can be standard, since it is apparently an exposed circuit board designed to be connected to the mains. There is no conceivable way that it could satisfy any safety regulations or be a part designed for user replacement. Unless you can find the exact manufacturer of the original lamp fixture, and somehow convince them to send you a replacement, I don't see how you are going to find anything like it.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 06:07:12 am »
The modules are fed with 120V line voltage, so there must be step-down happening on the module itself.

If you watch closely, the stepdown circuit is there, its a poorman ac led driver circuit using that big cap film cap to drop the ac voltage and sort of regulate the current, while the resistor to limit the inrush and diode to pass the other ac cycle.

Offline nzo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 07:39:06 am »
That top resistor looks like it might be fried.
Frogman: half man, half frog, but which half?

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 09:04:24 am »
Can you post an image of the item where those modules fit?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 08:04:59 pm »
It fits into a downlight housing for MR11 lamps. These are located in a steel box approximately 3 cm deep, so not deep enough to fit a regular MR11 halogen lamp. The downlight housing is similar to this one:

http://www.slvbyslv.com/main.php5?g_page=209&g_menu=120&g_arnr=111952

Alex

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 09:21:26 pm »
Google goggles returnes nothing. Maybe you can repair the existin ones and charge a lower price if the customer is OK with that, or otherwise suggest a replacement module that is available locally.

Here is what I believe is the schematic of it, in case you want to go down that route. Hope this helps.

• Frequent Contributor
Returning to the subject...
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 06:15:20 pm »
I've looked into premade options for replacing these lights. None to be had.

I told the customer that I would get pricing for custom made replacements, so here's the brief:

I need three MR11 sized LED modules 25mm dia. with built-in circuitry to work on 120VAC with 6" leads like those pictured in my OP. Single, high output LEDs would be fine vs the array style originals. Optimal would be 2700-3000K LEDs in the 80-200 lumen range. Potting the back side to insulate the 120V areas would be recommended, although once installed, there is no possibility for accidental contact.

Additional information:

The 120V supply is controlled by a dimmer switch so voltage will be variable. If it's possible to build in dimming capability, that would be fine. If not, it would be good to have the LEDs output a constant brightness over a pretty large voltage range up to 120VAC.

If anyone is interested in taking on the job, please let me know via PM so we can sort out price and details.

Thanks!

Alex

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 06:19:13 pm »
Petro, whats the potential for a larger number of custom units?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 06:22:41 pm »
Zero :) The fixture has three LEDs on the bottom and incandescent sockets on top. She just needs the three LEDs replaced.

Edit to add: I told her this would not be a cheap fix since it would involve low volume, custom made LEDs and that she should expect to pay more than the few dollars that a new light bulb costs.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:24:28 pm by PetrosA »

Alex

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 06:25:55 pm »
Thanks for a quick and honest reply petro.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 06:31:10 pm »
Could you not just install a normal LED PAR lamp in a hanging socket, or cannibalize such a lamp to get the LED module out of it?

There are a multitude of such lamps on the market now in many different designs. My local Home Depot has all sorts of them. Things like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lightkiwi-Par20-Dimmable-Light-Flood/dp/B004MWXCZW/ref=pd_cp_hi_3

Alex

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 06:51:01 pm »
...repairing the current ones would be another solution.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 09:29:46 pm »
Have you tried CPC Farnell They have a GU10 led lamp that runs 230 volt could you fit similar to the unit code No is LPO405370 its at £2.35 in the cat. that I have

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 09:44:03 pm »
Heres the link for CPC and the led lamps I have a MR16 12 volt and that looks like it would be possible to cut the board out of with a bit of care and a diamond burr in a dremel so the mains one would be possible to.

http://cpc.farnell.com/gu10-mains-voltage

Uncle Vernon

Re: Returning to the subject...
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 10:00:37 pm »
I've looked into premade options for replacing these lights. None to be had.

Looks like they can be had from ASIA. While finding an exact replacement will be needle in the haystack stuff, a quick Google search shows there are lots (too many) similar modules being used for under furniture lamps. Add the term "puck" to any searches. You should be able to find something which can be bastardised, if your customer is prepared to pay the necessary costs associated.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/442801046/Ultra_thin_led_puck_light.html Far from an exact replacement but one of hundreds of dubious fittings found. I doubt you'll need 5000 units but a few Chinglish emails should help locate an importer/reseller.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 10:32:02 pm »

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 01:30:45 am »
+1 for the gu10 socket if the fixture can accommodate the depth. lots of options for 110V gu10 led.

http://www.ledlightbulb.net/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_13&products_id=960&zenid=a554ac0e050373eac1471ce5a6183cf0

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 01:39:25 am »
+1 for the gu10 socket if the fixture can accommodate the depth

[quoteThese are located in a steel box approximately 3 cm deep, so not deep enough to fit a regular MR11 halogen lamp.[/quote]

Doesn't look like that is the case.

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 03:04:18 am »
These are located in a steel box approximately 3 cm deep, so not deep enough to fit a regular MR11 halogen lamp.

bummer...

i'd bet a dremel would convince it to fit.  teach that fixture a lesson! :D
-sj

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 03:14:36 am »
These are located in a steel box approximately 3 cm deep, so not deep enough to fit a regular MR11 halogen lamp.

bummer...

i'd bet a dremel would convince it to fit.  teach that fixture a lesson! :D
-sj
I'm sure you are right, but don't think it will help the OP, who has to stay within a budget the customer will be prepared to finance.  :)

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 10:32:16 am »
GX53 are only 26mm deep

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 04:31:02 am »
I'll try locating some of those MR16s with the LEDs that I might be able to remove. Thanks for the idea! :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf