Author Topic: Need some parts: Digikey / Mouser shipping delays under covid 19  (Read 5482 times)

Offline Back2VoltsTopic starter

• Supporter
I need to order some parts for a project.   I wonder what kind of delay in shipping for a regular guy like me should I expect.   

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Need some parts: Digikey / Mouser shipping delays under covid 19
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 02:42:18 pm »
Have ordered from Mouser, Digikey, Farnell and TME over the last few weeks. Delays: "0". YMMV.

The following users thanked this post: JPortici

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 02:55:22 pm »
I just ordered from both this past month.
The delivery time was basically the same as any other time.

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 03:12:56 pm »
Yes, BAU*

* Business As Usual

Offline Back2VoltsTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 06:37:08 pm »
Thank you guys.   

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 07:27:18 pm »
Ordered from Mouser ~2 weeks ago, no problem. In fact, they upgraded me to next day shipping for free!
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 07:33:41 pm »
I also ordered six PCBs from Elecrow.
It only took four weeks with their standard (cheapest) shipping.   :)

Slightly faster than I remember.

Offline PwrElectronics

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 11:04:15 pm »
I had a small order with Digikey this past Monday (May 11).  It arrived in the mail on Wednesday.  I am sure it helps that I live about 2-1/2hrs drive from TRF, MN.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 10:49:09 am »
I had a small order with Digikey this past Monday (May 11).  It arrived in the mail on Wednesday.  I am sure it helps that I live about 2-1/2hrs drive from TRF, MN.
That’s actually... rather unimpressive. If I order from DK on a Monday, it’ll arrive midday Wednesday, and I’m 4500 miles away. And that’s with the default shipping (UPS) that’s free on orders over $50.

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 11:42:15 am »
Unfortunately, there is a faction in the U.S. with disproportionate influence, who aim to kill off the U.S. Post Office by fair methods or foul.
-John

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 04:57:25 pm »
In normal times, small orders would leave Mouser in Texas the same day or next day.  Recently, they have not been able to ship as quickly, but have upgraded my shipments (at no extra cost) from normal UPS to UPS next-day to meet their normal delivery time, which I find to be a classy reaction to an unfortunate situation.

Offline Mp3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 09:05:53 pm »
In normal times, small orders would leave Mouser in Texas the same day or next day.  Recently, they have not been able to ship as quickly, but have upgraded my shipments (at no extra cost) from normal UPS to UPS next-day to meet their normal delivery time, which I find to be a classy reaction to an unfortunate situation.

Yes, placed 4 mouser orders since March, paid for ups 2 day, got ups next day on each.
High school graduate

Offline M0HZH

• Regular Contributor
    • QRPblog
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 12:53:47 am »
About 20 orders from Mouser, Digikey, Farnell, RS, TME, JLCPCB in the last 2 weeks ... nothing was delayed. But I see some long lead times on some items that used to be in stock.

(yes I abuse the RS "free next-day shipping on any item")

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 06:01:03 am »
Have ordered from Mouser, Digikey, Farnell and TME over the last few weeks. Delays: "0". YMMV.
same in nothern italy, zero delays with any courier (except DHL from germany and deutsche post)
But check with your local courier

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 12:19:29 pm »
So, I've just came to share this with you.
FedEx
Ship Date :   JAN 15, 2021
Estimated Arrival Date :   JAN 22, 2021

I wonder if it made a difference that I've ordered from my personal mouser account, not a business one.

Offline strawberry

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2021, 12:09:33 pm »
first order on Digikey is more than disappointing
order placed 14/12/20 .what is going on?
''Thank you for your inquiry.  Your order was shipped today on tracking number 1Z5674320442944684.  Unfortunately the projected delivery date is unavailable since the order was just shipped today.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you,
15/01/21''

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2021, 12:32:15 pm »
first order on Digikey is more than disappointing
order placed 14/12/20 .what is going on?
''Thank you for your inquiry.  Your order was shipped today on tracking number 1Z5674320442944684.  Unfortunately the projected delivery date is unavailable since the order was just shipped today.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you,
15/01/21''

Speak to DK support, usually they can help... I would worry how they will resolve the issue

If you want more drama, call local UPS and demand* some explanation  >:D

* and since you are not a shipper, they very likely tell you to f... o..  ::)

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2021, 02:41:00 pm »
My recent experience with Mouser is as it's always been - upgraded shipping on every order (so far!) and fast delivery. No interruptions.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2021, 04:21:39 pm »
Digi-Key only took 3 working days to the UK, so no complaints here.  Ordered last month.

Offline snarkysparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 07:31:50 pm »
one week and no shipment from DK.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2021, 07:46:26 pm »
It seems all the delayed DK shipments are from US customers. (Our last order was 2 weeks ago and it arrived in the usual 36 hours by UPS.) If these domestic orders are via USPS, perhaps it's USPS's giant backlog of mail causing the problem, with Digi-Key actually holding off on sending USPS packages? Like, maybe the local post office has asked them to hold off? (I'm sure Digi-Key does its own USPS pre-sorting, so they likely have substantial contact with the local post office.)

Offline harerod

• Frequent Contributor
  • ee - digital & analog
    • My services:
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2021, 08:00:50 pm »
Digikey: Same with deliveries to Germany. 36..48h, depending on the hour when I place the order. For once the timezones work to our advantage.
I (German) had a delivery for a customer in Switzerland the other day. I wasn't sure about the customs' details, so I called Digikey support. They were very helpful. They mentioned that they have groomed UPS as to minimize hassle for the customer. (I remember different stories from the past, say 10 years or longer ago.)

A colleague mentioned that Mouser did the same with FedEx. I couldn't say, not my favorite distri.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 07:26:28 am by harerod »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2021, 08:05:13 pm »
It seems all the delayed DK shipments are from US customers. (Our last order was 2 weeks ago and it arrived in the usual 36 hours by UPS.) If these domestic orders are via USPS, perhaps it's USPS's giant backlog of mail causing the problem, with Digi-Key actually holding off on sending USPS packages? Like, maybe the local post office has asked them to hold off? (I'm sure Digi-Key does its own USPS pre-sorting, so they likely have substantial contact with the local post office.)

Last week I ordered a couple of small things from DigiKey that should have fit into the USPS's first-class $5 shipping, and so far the order is just sitting there in the "Submitted" phase as if it hasn't even been picked. A couple of boards I ordered directly from TI shipped pronto from Fort Worth, TX and arrived via Fred's Ex on time.

I don't understand any of it. If they put all of the unemployed tour managers in charge of shipping, shit would be on time every time.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2021, 05:48:03 am »

Last week I ordered a couple of small things from DigiKey that should have fit into the USPS's first-class $5 shipping, and so far the order is just sitting there in the "Submitted" phase as if it hasn't even been picked. A couple of boards I ordered directly from TI shipped pronto from Fort Worth, TX and arrived via Fred's Ex on time.

I don't understand any of it. If they put all of the unemployed tour managers in charge of shipping, shit would be on time every time.
The fact that orders from abroad continue to be delivered in the usual timeframe suggests the problem isn’t in DK’s ability to pick and pack orders.

Offline jayk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2021, 09:07:47 pm »
I just called and talked to Digikey customer service and they claimed shipping method shouldn't have an effect on the shipping time for orders going to US destinations.  He also claimed it doesn't matter if the order is placed over the phone or on-line, though I don't really believe that one because when I placed a small order over the phone a couple of weeks ago the guy said there were a bunch of on-line orders in some sort of queue but he was able to get my order down to the warehouse ahead of those.  The guy I talked to today blamed the delays on covid, but that's what everyone blames everything on these days so who knows.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf