Author Topic: Need help with an Translation  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Lord of nothingTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Need help with an Translation
« on: December 19, 2017, 09:50:50 am »
I know the English Language is not perfect for defier different thinks.  :-//
I hope someone here can help me with the different types of Bus (Lines).

How to call an Bus who operate in an City who is not a City Bus? The Bus Type operate normally Regional and is normally not an Low floor.
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

The following users thanked this post: MatthewEveritt

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Need help with an Translation
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 10:45:28 am »
Coach
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Freelander

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 11:06:59 am »

How to call an Bus who operate in an City who is not a City Bus? The Bus Type operate normally Regional and is normally not an Low floor.

Can you find an image (on google maybe) of the type of bus you are describing ?. if you post the image it may help. 
It does sound like you are describing a 'Coach' - in English English (Real English) - (as opposed to 'US' English  :palm:  ;) -  US English is not 'really' English... :P)

The following users thanked this post: Circlotron

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 11:15:10 am »
Google image search "coach" and "bus"
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 11:37:48 am »

Can you find an image (on google maybe) of the type of bus you are describing ?. if you post the image it may help. 
It does sound like you are describing a 'Coach' - in English English (Real English) - (as opposed to 'US' English  :palm:  ;) -  US English is not 'really' English... :P)

In Australian English, they are still just buses.

The following users thanked this post: Freelander

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 11:42:16 am »
a low floor bus is generally for goverment runs or similar, where maximum occupancy per $ of vehicle is prefered, and are intended for short trip times, e.g. hop on - hop off,

A bus with center luggage bins is called a "Coach" as they are a modern equivalent of a "stage coach" they are built with more comfy seats and are intended to travel further distances.

There are also "mini-buses" that act like "Coaches", however they would not be called as such, E.g. a "Mitsubishi Rosa" they are intended to carry people for over an hour, but they are not as comfy a ride, and are more of a "Shuttle bus" intended to get people from A to B at minimal cost, as a smaller vehicle can park easier and costs less in fuel, at the expense of the comfort of the customer.

To summerise:
a low floor bus is intended for many short trips, where people getting in and out is the priority,
a raised floor coach with luggage bins is intended for long trips, where people comfort is the priority,
a shuttle bus / minibus is for moving the most people at the lowest cost.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 11:53:16 am »
a low floor bus is generally for goverment runs or similar, where maximum occupancy per $ of vehicle is prefered, and are intended for short trip times, e.g. hop on - hop off,

A bus with center luggage bins is called a "Coach" as they are a modern equivalent of a "stage coach" they are built with more comfy seats and are intended to travel further distances.

There are also "mini-buses" that act like "Coaches", however they would not be called as such, E.g. a "Mitsubishi Rosa" they are intended to carry people for over an hour, but they are not as comfy a ride, and are more of a "Shuttle bus" intended to get people from A to B at minimal cost, as a smaller vehicle can park easier and costs less in fuel, at the expense of the comfort of the customer.

To summerise:
a low floor bus is intended for many short trips, where people getting in and out is the priority,
a raised floor coach with luggage bins is intended for long trips, where people comfort is the priority,

Perhaps I should change my comment to "in Western Australian English",as it seems "Eastern Staters" are more Brit oriented.

We used to use the term "Tourist Coach" for buses used for tourists, many years ago.
Long distance buses in WA, although they might meet your criteria, are just called "buses".

Offline Freelander

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 12:04:11 pm »

To summerise:
Don't forget the good old Double Decker as a type of bus  :) - probably the most famous type in the world.
 :)

Offline Freelander

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 12:10:31 pm »
Some type of bus - (uk)

Minibus
Normal town / city bus
Coach
Double Decker

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 01:25:28 pm »

To summerise:

Perhaps I should change my comment to "in Western Australian English",as it seems "Eastern Staters" are more Brit oriented.

We used to use the term "Tourist Coach" for buses used for tourists, many years ago.
Long distance buses in WA, although they might meet your criteria, are just called "buses".

Yes.  It seems we in the east do make the distinction .... and if you want to offend the driver of a coach, ask him about his "bus".

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 01:25:20 pm »
(sry for the Image Size the are from Wikipedia)
We here in Vienna (and other bigger City Like Graz, Innsbruck,...) we have the City Bus:

:-+ Citybus

The next Category are the low floor Bus who operate from bigger City to the Countryside but not inside the City.
(OMG this is the Bus Station where I live next to!!!! How the got into Wikipedia...  :o so if someone want visit me wait on the Bus Station until I arrive someday  :-DD):

The get Operated by "Postbus" a Separated Company from the former the Austria Railway.

The also use for the we called here "Überland Verkehr" Bus Service on the Countryside (new!) non Barierfree Bus:

This Bus also get used for long Distance Bus Service with Transport network Tickets. Depend on the Line here could be a ~3h long Bus Ride and the Bus do not have an Toilet onboard.  :=\  :--

There are also Double Decker Bus in Service but only for a Handfull Service. The should have an Toilet but I am not sure about.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 05:56:47 pm »
The intercity coaches generally ( depending on the operator) will have a toilet on board, but they all do have stops at fixed places for the passengers to get out, walk around and take care of that. However, the feature that differentiates a bus as short distance or long distance is the final drive ratio, as the city route buses are geared for best fuel economy at low speeds, and at highway speeds the fuel consumption is a lot higher than when in inner city streets with start stop traffic. The long distance buses ( often called a coach as well) are more optimised for best fuel economy at the rated speed limit on long roads, where they spend most of the time.

As an aside German tour buses are designed to have best fuel economy on an Autobahn at 140kph, and any bus that does not have that is almost automatically designated as a city bus, even if it is capable of Autobahn travel at 120kph, though there the engine will be operating well out of the green band of optimal revs and fuel consumption.

Here in south Africa the most common bus is a minibus, originally a Toyota E20, of which there are still a lot around, though now the standard is a Toyota Quantum, with a smattering of other Toyota 16 seaters around, a few Nissan 16 seaters, a number of MB sprinter van conversions, and the odd GWM and other Chinese "upside down toyota' copies. Then you get actual buses, almost all of them being 65 seaters, mostly Marcopolo, MB, Iveco, Scania and even a few VW ones. The city buses range from Leylands from 1970, all the way to luxury coaches that are assembled locally from a Brazilian made chassis.

There are 2 double decker buses around, old Leyland powered buses ( think old London double decker buses from the 1970's) used as tourist buses. They come past me every day in holiday season, and every weekend as well, with a cut off top to expose the passengers to the view. They had to put a cage there after an unfortunate accident involving a drunk passenger and a tree.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 01:06:58 pm »
 ;D more idea?

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 12:41:20 am »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 07:36:12 pm »
Hmm what is the best Translation for: "Kraftfahrlinienverkehr mit Omnibussen"?  :phew:

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 08:24:20 pm »
Hmm what is the best Translation for: "Kraftfahrlinienverkehr mit Omnibussen"?  :phew:

Coach
PEACE===>T

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2018, 10:48:07 pm »

Intercity bus, long-distance bus, express bus, over-the-road bus, commercial bus, long-haul bus, highway bus.

Or coach.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercity_bus_service

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 11:03:15 pm »
;D more idea?

There are only so many words for "bus" or "coach" in English. We don't have the facility for inventing new words like you can in German.

For example, you can't have a word like "longdistanceintercityexpressluxurybus" in English  :)

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2018, 09:19:17 am »

Offline Gromitt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2018, 11:01:44 am »
This is also real

From Havana (in Cuba)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo