Author Topic: Neighbours children driving me mad!  (Read 31387 times)

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
Re: Neighbours children driving me mad!
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2018, 01:39:14 am »
ok, I'll roll with   where   to keep the punters happy   ;D

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2018, 02:06:12 am »
ok, so WHERE does all that revenue raising dough go to?

Over here it goes into consolidated revenue.

Interestingly enough though, the guys you so bitterly (and incorrectly) complain about don't go looking for traffic violations. In fact you have to be trying *very* hard for them to even notice you as they go about their business. The ones you appear to take issue with are the traffic police, and their role is to uphold the Road and Traffic Act.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2018, 02:47:05 am »

While the question is, in itself, reasonable - you are focussing on the wrong side of the equation.

Calling it "revenue raising" completely misses the point.  People speed and, hence, break the law.  When they break the law and get caught, they are punished.  The punishment is meant to deter offending again.

It doesn't matter what the punishment is - it is there to dissuade breaking the law in the future.  That can't be any simpler.

The fact that a financial punishment is most often used is that this is, perhaps, one of the most sensitive nerves that can be hit - and it is one of the simplest to implement.  It has - as a by-product - a benefit to the community in the form of financial support.  Sometimes this support is used to fund a hospital bed.  Sometimes this is used to pay a teacher ... and sometimes it is used to pay for counselling of police when they have had to help locate body parts of some teenager who has wrapped their car around a tree - and then have to tell their parents.

I can see where this focus might come from...  You speed.  You get caught.  You don't like it.  We get that.

But, instead of making a fuss - how about thinking a little differently.....

(IMO - whoever came up with that slogan gets an extra piece of pie!)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2018, 02:50:35 am »
Anyway... getting back on topic.

Serious question .... What would the issues be in producing a noise cancelling ceiling?

We've done it with headphones for decades.

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2018, 02:54:55 am »

Serious question .... What would the issues be in producing a noise cancelling ceiling?

Costs too much money.
And, if you are renting, you may not be allowed to renovate your roof.
My solution, though disgusting, is effective wherever you may be and is available today.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2018, 04:15:07 am »

While the question is, in itself, reasonable - you are focussing on the wrong side of the equation.

Calling it "revenue raising" completely misses the point.  People speed and, hence, break the law.  When they break the law and get caught, they are punished.  The punishment is meant to deter offending again.

It doesn't matter what the punishment is - it is there to dissuade breaking the law in the future.  That can't be any simpler.

The fact that a financial punishment is most often used is that this is, perhaps, one of the most sensitive nerves that can be hit - and it is one of the simplest to implement.  It has - as a by-product - a benefit to the community in the form of financial support.  Sometimes this support is used to fund a hospital bed.  Sometimes this is used to pay a teacher ... and sometimes it is used to pay for counselling of police when they have had to help locate body parts of some teenager who has wrapped their car around a tree - and then have to tell their parents.

I can see where this focus might come from...  You speed.  You get caught.  You don't like it.  We get that.

But, instead of making a fuss - how about thinking a little differently.....

(IMO - whoever came up with that slogan gets an extra piece of pie!)

I'm not a disgruntled speeder, nor do see them pull up and confront the hoons and roadragetards who do speed and dangerously,

instead what I do see on a regular basis is them targeting mum, dad and gramps (people) doing a brief 53 kph, whom they know will just pay up and shut up = easy gig for the revenue raisers  :clap:

If they sling me some of those easy RR dollars to be an apologist, I might tend to be less observant of the obvious,

or consider " thinking a little differently....."   :=\

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2018, 05:28:51 am »

Costs too much money.
How do you know?  Have you looked at the idea?  Formulated alternatives?  Done some research?  Do you know of anyone who has?

I don't put these questions to get "in your face" - but I haven't seen anything but an opinion.

And, if you are renting, you may not be allowed to renovate your roof.
...And that's where something that is effective but not structurally involved with the building would be an alternative worth investigating.

Forty years ago, I would have said it would be impossible to get chest thumping bass out of a box less than half the size of a loaf of bread - but they have been around for some time now.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 05:30:45 am by Brumby »

Offline Precisiontools

• Regular Contributor
    • PrecisionTools's Blog
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2018, 05:39:39 am »
Send them a full set of Peppa Pig DVDs, that might shut 'em up for a bit.  ;D

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2018, 05:53:58 am »

Costs too much money.
How do you know?  Have you looked at the idea?  Formulated alternatives?  Done some research?  Do you know of anyone who has?

I don't put these questions to get "in your face" - but I haven't seen anything but an opinion.
I place the cost of my ear plugs at $1.50 for 20 which should last around 6 months before they wear out.  Are you saying a mechanical active noise cancellation will cost me less than that?

My alternative was already posted here on page 1: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/neighbours-children-driving-me-mad!/msg1417536/#msg1417536
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 06:00:47 am by BrianHG »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2018, 06:50:49 am »
With a budget in THAT range .... I can't argue.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2018, 07:19:20 am »

Only that criminals will get weapons anyway.  I'm happy to limit the access to firearms.  I'll bet even criminals have a better control on access to their illegal firearms than some law-abiding citizens do with their legal ones.  But that's the last I will say on that subject.

The gun owners I know take safety very seriously, I can't speak for everybody though.

Despite the reputation the US has involving guns, outside of certain deteriorating urban areas with serious gang infestations, gun violence is pretty rare and not something most of us tend to experience or think about much. Provided you're not involved in gang activity you're a lot more likely to be hurt by some idiot playing with their phone behind the wheel than by some idiot with a gun.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2018, 08:46:38 am »

I've always assumed that the problem is down to spatial phase differences.

With noise cancelling headphones, the location of the microphone relative to the listener's ear is known, and so relevant anti-phase can be implemented. As soon as the relative location of the microphone and the ear isn't known, all bets are off. You'll be able to cancel for one ear at one location, but not multiple ears, or a moving ear.

It also gets harder the higher the frequency as the wavelengths shorten, which is why even noise cancelling headphones are better at attenuating lower frequencies.

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2018, 09:39:13 am »
Score a nice doona /blanket and comfortable pillow for the car,

find a nice quiet deserted street, park or close to a truckers stop

put up a windscreen shade folding thingie to keep the morning sun out, open the car vents for outside air and windows open half an inch, 

set up the seats for maximum legroom stretch > very important!

have some very quiet music in the background to wind down, lose the shoes, cover the phone with something so it doesn't freak you out, 

have something you can use as a surprise weapon in case someone wants to go to hospital by attempting to rob and rape you

and get in some serious shuteye  :=\  well miles better than what you get now

Been there, works like a charm   :-+ 

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:42:12 am by Electro Detective »

Offline tux75at

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2018, 11:34:34 am »
I did not read the whole thread, but talking does not always help. My neighbor from below (!) are very loud. Even Musik does not help. I feel the Kids jumping around and the parrents also walk like elephants. Their visitors park in front of the garage and block the street....  I start to walk like them, because i can not do much, dont get me wrong, i do not jump, i just dont care If my steps are loud or not. Now they even close the doors that everyone can hear it. But soon, about a year, and I will live in my own house, that is the only solution.

Gesendet von meinem E5823 mit Tapatalk

Offline cleanworkbench

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2018, 12:29:17 pm »
Feel sorry for you
We had neighbours like that years ago , except it was thumping music on those paper thin walls every damn weekend , rest from work , no way. Tried talking to the woman and she came out of her kitchen and asked whats up , i complained  and she said i cant hear it in the kitchen with the door closed !!!!! WTF. The husband was not the friendly type, no amount of talking solved it. Eventually we had to sell up.
Perhaps they are bored and the parents have problems , now you will start to think of ways to tackle it !! and dread going home .
Talk or move , whatever you do you will end up the one with the load on your back.
Personally i would put some distance between you and them

Offline DenzilPenberthy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2018, 12:32:01 pm »
It's all about re-adjusting your viewpoint, See it as an artform rather than a nuisance :)

The following users thanked this post: HackedFridgeMagnet, Ian.M, BrianHG

Offline cleanworkbench

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2018, 02:11:30 pm »
Fight or flight !!!

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2018, 03:39:51 pm »
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED IN UPPERCASE.

:-DD

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2018, 03:42:50 pm »
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED IN UPPERCASE.

:-DD

A W A R N I N G H A S B E E N I S S U E D T O Y O U
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2018, 03:48:31 pm »

Muzo?

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2018, 03:51:49 pm »
I wake up at 6:20 AM on weekends when I usually sleep till 10 after a long night because they decide it's fair to let them make a racket at that ungodly hour.

I haven't slept past 5AM in decades.

Anyhow, a box fan can provide some acceptable ambient noise, though probably not enough in your situation. 

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2018, 04:01:29 pm »
Honestly, here is how I deal with this. My bedroom is full of computers, and while I keep most of them off during the night for noise reasons, if my rabbit, which is in the next room, starts going nuts for an extended period of time, I will turn some more of them on just to get the idle noise (and believe me, two 7800GTXs, an FX-57, and 4 7.2k hard drives and you couldn't hear the world ending past that.

I was in a situation where I was sleeping in a hotel room on my way back from Germany (we stopped over in Boston) and I am a rather particular sleeper. There were two beds, and four people, so naturally I just slept on an armchair, which honestly wasn't that big of an issue. The issue is that half of the people in that room snore like freight trains and no matter where I went in the hotel room, I couldn't get away from it. So, my best solution was to put on my headphones, connect it to what was an iPhone 3G running whited00r at the time (My first smart phone for use as a simple PDA I got for 30 bucks), and then just play music for the entire night. I didn't have much (like 12 songs) but on repeat it was enough for me to fall asleep and moderately annoy everybody else in the room as they weren't really good headphones and sound bleed was excessive even on lower volumes (it was a fun vacation).

I also used to just play the radio at night while I slept. I haven't intentionally tuned into a radio for years, but that was fun while I did it.

I know you said no headphones, but I would give it a try. If you like earbuds, then you're golden as those are perfect for sleeping. I can't stand earbuds so that's a no go for me.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2018, 04:38:20 pm »
Do you believe this active sound canceling device is as illustrated in the video?
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/170649-sono-a-noise-cancelation-and-isolation-device-that-sticks-on-your-window

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2018, 07:28:34 pm »
Hope the talk goes alright, if you do have to take the antagoniatic roite, just do it subtly, have a low pass filtered percussion mic on the spot they play and a speaker under the parents bedroom, share the love.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2018, 09:32:05 pm »
Do you know a guy that knows a guy to do a friendly door knock on the noisy neighbors ?  >:D

money well spent and mates rates discounts for musicians

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf