Author Topic: Neil Armstrong died  (Read 10303 times)

Offline Bored@WorkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

HLA-27b

Re: Neil Armstrong died
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 08:02:50 pm »
Rest in peace moon man. You changed the world forever.
:'(

Offline Thor-Arne

• Supporter
  • tinker - tinker, little noob.....
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 08:44:51 pm »
A great man, he will be remembered forever.

Rest in peace Neil Armstrong.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 08:50:07 pm »
Rest in sp(e)ace Neil.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 09:03:52 pm »
Tragic, he changed the world forever.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 09:24:43 pm »
A small step for a man, a giant leap for mankind. May he forever walk among the stars.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline bullet308

• Frequent Contributor
  • Jack of All Trades, Master of None Related to EE
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 10:48:34 pm »
A great American, and a great human being.

Godspeed.
>>>BULLET>>>

Offline ablacon64

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 12:21:23 am »
Yes, and a great man also. Because of him I believe the moon travel was real, instead of what some youtube videos say. I believe he would have unmasked the usa government during his life if it was a lie.

Offline bullet308

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 12:51:22 am »
And a man of great personal integrity and character as well.

I still like the way Buzz Aldrin punched that moon hoaxer guy in the nose, though.  Not as dignified, but still, a good show.  :-)
>>>BULLET>>>

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 12:57:06 am »
The man rocked, sad to hear him go out.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 04:45:07 am »
The moment i came his death on the papers i was like
"One small step for man, One giant leap backward for mankind"
It's just like the dismissal of the concorde  :(

Offline whatchitfoool

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 08:06:19 am »
And a man of great personal integrity and character as well.

I still like the way Buzz Aldrin punched that moon hoaxer guy in the nose, though.  Not as dignified, but still, a good show.  :-)

How can you call a hero of mankind a coward, liar, and a thief? 

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 08:35:58 am »
I have some old 16mm movie footage of Apollo 10 (9 minutes) and 11 (14 minutes) missions. I will have to drag out the old Bell and Howell projector and take a look to see what is there. I know that the colour will be pretty bad, thanks to Kodak Ektachrome. I remember the colour in the films were originally stunning, but the film now looks very red and faded at the start. I believe the footage was distributed by the Sydney Morning Herald shortly after the moon landing.

Apparently Nasa accidentally wiped the original video tapes of the moonwalk, so it will be interesting to see if the movies include the walk. The thing that NASA want is the original recorded quality, and not the blurry converted-for-tv images that most of us have seen.

Richard.

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 09:40:00 am »
Feels like the end of one era (landing on the moon) and the beginning of another (the future landing on Mars) with the success of the Curiosity Landing.
Richard, I'd like to see those films of yours if you can ever digitise them.

P.S I should have read about the circumstances of his death before my first comment which I have since removed. My appologies.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 09:43:25 am by djsb »
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline bullet308

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 10:33:51 am »
LOL Yeah, Buzz always was the more volatile of the pair...

>>>BULLET>>>

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 01:34:47 pm »
Sad a man died, but I don't understand the overhyping of it.
Sure he did walk on some planet, sure they buit some missile.

But they were +1000 man to do it at Nasa, who cares who got elected to take some footstep on that planet, and when.

I'm more interested in the control and safety mecanisms, eventually the people who developed that.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 02:05:30 pm »
Yes, I hate to be a naysayer, but I agree with you.  First, my sympathies for his death, it is the clearly the mark of an end of an era, just as with the death of other astronauts from early programs in both Russia and the USA.

But it was a team effort, and probably the engineer in Armstrong recognized that all the attention paid to him for being 'first' was popular hype, but not really the truth.  Clearly, Armstrong did his part that no one else could at the time, he was highly skilled for the task, but had he died or had a mishap enroute, Aldrin was there to substitute.  Had the entire crew been killed, they had backup, and more backup for backups.  Why is so much not discussed about Collins?  Without him and the command module, they'd never get back?   What about all the engineers in NASA supporting the effort, who built the ships, and monitored the flight?  The contractors who provide all the systems?

Armstrong was the tip of an iceberg, but the great bulk of it was underwater. May he RIP.

But they were +1000 man to do it at Nasa, who cares who got elected to take some footstep on that planet, and when.

I'm more interested in the control and safety mecanisms, eventually the people who developed that.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 02:09:22 pm »
the way Buzz Aldrin punched that moon hoaxer guy in the nose, though.  Not as dignified, but still, a good show.

Oh I don't know. there is some real dignity in a famous old guy, knocking some sense into the perennially clueless! Punching stupid people should be compulsory. It's a civic duty, too long neglected.

RIP Mr Armstrong! You were walking on the moon when most other countries space programs  consisted of making cows jump!

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 02:11:59 pm »
Why is so much not discussed about Collins?

Who?  ;)

Offline bullet308

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 02:57:53 pm »
CMPs never get no love.   :-\
>>>BULLET>>>

HLA-27b

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 04:58:36 pm »
Neil Armstrong in his later years accepting yet another award. Please note the words he accepts the award with.

The Apollo program consisted of +400.000 people. Not to mention the politicians, an entire nation that payed the bills and even the Ruskies who started the race to begin with. Media didn't give each and every one of them equal camera time and if there is a fault in that it belongs to the media, not to NASA and certainly not to Neil. My understanding is that all those people in Apollo wholeheartedly accepted him as their representative and spokesman.  To be honest they couldn't have hoped for a better person to do that.

Just had to post this as a reaction to the two slips a few comments above.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 08:24:15 pm »
Its good you found the original broadcast, the last 1, tops 2 min says it all.  He also said it immediately after the mission ended in 1969:

In the Wikipedia a transcript is given, at bottom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11#Lunar_ascent_and_return

Despite that, more awards were given by the US government to the Apollo 11 astronauts not the whole program.  Its more than just the press.  Its seems driven to ride their celebrity.  If it were based on facts, the podium should have had all the surviving astronauts as co-recipients, not just Apollo 11.

...Media didn't give each and every one of them equal camera time and if there is a fault in that it belongs to the media, not to NASA and certainly not to Neil. My understanding is that all those people in Apollo wholeheartedly accepted him as their representative and spokesman.  To be honest they couldn't have hoped for a better person to do that.  Just had to post this as a reaction to the two slips a few comments above.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:25:43 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline ampdoctor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 08:49:20 pm »
God's speed Neil.  While thousands were involved with your endeavor, you became the symbol that inspired a generation and will continue to inspire for generations to come.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 01:29:17 am »

He walked on a moon, not planet  :P

And the Apollo space program (and previous enabling programs) is infinitely more than just making a missile.

Because the man had the guts and the skill to do it. Few have that "right stuff".
There is little doubt that all the men who walked on the moon will be dead before the human race does it again. And likely for all the countless people who made it happen dead too. That's not an unimportant fact for the development of the human race.

Our society needs heroes, it needs figureheads, kids need someone to look up to, that's how the world has always worked.

Dave.

Offline bullet308

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 03:50:24 am »

Our society needs heroes, it needs figureheads, kids need someone to look up to, that's how the world has always worked.

Dave.

And Armstrong is a damn-sight more deserving hero than most so elevated in our culture.  :P

Brave, brilliant, modest...what more do you want?
>>>BULLET>>>

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf