Author Topic: My Fluke 12 broke. I am thinking about trading it in to Fluke from another.  (Read 15161 times)

Offline LawsenTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
My 15 years old Fluke 12 broke.  The keypad to control the multimeter broke.  Fluke is willing to charge me a small fee to have an exchange of a current model with a more reliable rotary switch and true RMS.  The rotary switch is more reliable than the four buttons keypad.  The exchange is about 40% cheaper than buying one elsewhere, but I have to turn in the broken multimeter. 

Offline grenert

• Frequent Contributor
What's the model you get in exchange?

Offline entereev

• Contributor
I don't see what's holding you back?

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
my fluke 12 is on its last leg too... same thing, buttons are crappin' out plus the case is kinda fallin' apart. what model did they offer and how much?
-sj

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
My 15 years old Fluke 12 broke.  The keypad to control the multimeter broke. The rotary switch is more reliable than the four buttons keypad.

Maybe pics from this thread will help to see if the buttons can be fixed or replaced?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/general-chat/fluke-25-my-first-digital-multimeter/

Regarding the rotary switch being more reliable, if Fluke is offering something from the 11x series, pay heed to Dave's comments in blog #60 (Fluke 117 Multimeter Review and Teardown) regarding the knob protruding and taking the impact during a fall.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
And 117 is just ... It doesn't even have a mV range !
Don't accept that offer because it's for electricians .

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
Fluke 12 is pretty basic model of course, what model did Fluke offer to you?
I think something in 110 series, 3 of the models doesn’t have current measurement like Fluke 12 and Fluke 115, Fluke 117 does have current measurement, 117 is for commercial uses and its pretty nice solid multimeter, apart from the knob.

Dave.S I think you mean mA range, Fluke 117 does have a mV range :)

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
the problem with your buttons is most likely the zebra connector. it gets compressed/dirty over time and fails to proper make contact. you can try cleaning and shimming the area over the connection and/or flipping the zebra. also, if any of the screw posts are broken, the meter won't close tight enough to make the zebra connect with the membrane. i got a few more years of reliable service out of mine until just recently as it started acting up again.

117 is way more meter than the 12.
-sj

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Fluke 12 is pretty basic model of course, what model did Fluke offer to you?
I think something in 110 series, 3 of the models doesn’t have current measurement like Fluke 12 and Fluke 115, Fluke 117 does have current measurement, 117 is for commercial uses and its pretty nice solid multimeter, apart from the knob.

Dave.S I think you mean mA range, Fluke 117 does have a mV range :)
Well , seems to have confused the 110 series ... sorry ...

Offline LawsenTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Fluke Corporation at 1-888-993-5853 offered me a Fluke 117 with the "Lo Z," and true Root Mean Square, RMS AC volts for around $90.00.  This is below market price for a Fluke 117 at $156.00.  They will pay for the delivery for the Fluke 117.  I have to send them my broken keypad Fluke 12 for around $20.00. 

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
That looks great deal to me, it will cost you $110 with shipment for your multimeter but you will get a lot better one back for it.

If the Fluke 12 was enough for you till now Fluke 117 will be enough for a lot years more, it is almost bulletproof except from the knob but i used similar models for years now at my work and to be honest i never seen fail one because of its knob.

I think the knob is designed like that so field engineers can turn it easier with gloves on.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
That looks great deal to me, it will cost you $110 with shipment for your multimeter but you will get a lot better one back for it.

If the Fluke 12 was enough for you till now Fluke 117 will be enough for a lot years more, it is almost bulletproof except from the knob but i used similar models for years now at my work and to be honest i never seen fail one because of its knob.

I think the knob is designed like that so field engineers can turn it easier with gloves on.
LOL fluke said they will pay for his shipment .

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
Dave.S i know you only for two days here but i think you should read the posts little bit more careful  :P ;D

He also said this:
They will pay for the delivery for the Fluke 117. I have to send them my broken keypad Fluke 12 for around $20.00.

So Fluke pays only for the shipment for 117 not 12.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Dave.S i know you only for two days here but i think you should read the posts little bit more careful  :P ;D

He also said this:
They will pay for the delivery for the Fluke 117. I have to send them my broken keypad Fluke 12 for around $20.00.

So Fluke pays only for the shipment for 117 not 12.
Crap .... Didn't notice it , OH WELL !
So how much was the shipment ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf