Author Topic: New Centre Speaker for Home Theatre  (Read 465 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
New Centre Speaker for Home Theatre
« on: March 24, 2024, 11:49:33 pm »
I'm setting up a new home theatre. Those in the supporters section will know about it.
Reusing my old Jamo 3-way S606 mains, but I want a new centre speaker. Currently using a JBL S-Centre which is excellent, but I want a slim wall mount unit to hand on the wall below the TV.
Wiring will be all new in-wall, the idea is no wires visible.
The S606's already have a decent 8-inch subwoofer in them so need for an extra sub IMO.

The JBL LC2 looks awesome and only 127mm thick, but seem to be hard to get. So I'm possibly after something similar.

Could possibly go with a an in-wall solution like the JBL Studio 2 55IW, but the 2.7KHz cross over kinda sucks for a centre speaker for speech, I prefer my 3-way jobbie. And Mrs EEVblog doesn't liek the idea of putting holes in the new wall.
Although this might look way nicer for the surrounds than the daggy Jamo S60 SUR's I have.

https://www.selby.com.au/jbl-studio-2-55iw-premium-dual-5-25-lcr-in-wall-loudspeaker.html

Any other slim wall mount solutions?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 11:53:22 pm by EEVblog »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: New Centre Speaker for Home Theatre
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 01:17:57 am »
The issue I have with in-wall and in-ceiling installations is that you want to make absolutely sure that everything else that's attached, or close to the wall doesn't rattle.

Even though I don't have an in-wall speaker (I just use a Sonos soundbar), at high enough volumes/low enough frequencies, I can hear the metal bracing (not sure if that's the correct terminology) behind the gyprock vibrating/rattling against the inside of the wall.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, SiliconWizard

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 01:37:44 am »
Dave: Had experiecne at Dobly and THX, Lucasfilm.

In 2007 for 5.1, HT, We used in wall Dayton for the surrounds LR/RR, DIY   built 1 cu ft reflex with PHL woofers ands RAAL ribbon tweeters, DIY Xover 4p. Linkewitz-Riley.

Center was simple bookshelf spker, plus  subwoofer.

Center wsa small enough to sit on top of Subwoofer.

As center is usually the dialog and just voice, it is not so critical.

GREAT sound super imaging and highs from RAAL ribbons....

Enjoy,

Jon

j

Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 01:42:03 am »
As center is usually the dialog and just voice, it is not so critical.

To me that's actually the most critical part, hence this post, whcih is why I use a 3 way centre. Surrounds I don't care, whatever it is will work. Mains I already have and like.

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 02:57:59 am »
I use a Bose VCS 10. It sits nicely under the TV. Not heavy and can be installed with a simple bracket to support it. Looks like part of the TV.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 03:06:28 am »
I use a Bose VCS 10. It sits nicely under the TV. Not heavy and can be installed with a simple bracket to support it. Looks like part of the TV.

That just has four wide range drivers like many sound bars. I'm after something better than that.

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2024, 03:34:44 pm »
You could build one  ;)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 05:20:53 pm »
A slim form factor only allows midrange and high frequencies (JBL LC2 starts at 55 Hz, for example). From a psychoacoustic perspective a center speaker supporting midrange frequencies is totally sufficient as humans can't determine the source of low or high frequencies. Those would be covered by a good pair of main speakers.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2024, 05:51:20 am »
A slim form factor only allows midrange and high frequencies (JBL LC2 starts at 55 Hz, for example). From a psychoacoustic perspective a center speaker supporting midrange frequencies is totally sufficient as humans can't determine the source of low or high frequencies. Those would be covered by a good pair of main speakers.

Yes, the centre channel is for dialog, hence why I'm currently using a 3 way so the crossovers are further out of the typical vocal range.
https://support.jbl.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-masterCatalog_Harman/default/dwd684bb7c/pdfs/S_CENTER_OM_EN.pdf
But I'll drop back to a 2-way if I have to.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 05:54:24 am by EEVblog »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf