Author Topic: New DSO is arround the corner...  (Read 12457 times)

Offline hacklordsniperTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Don't turn it on, take it apart!
    • HackLordSniper
New DSO is arround the corner...
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:44:16 am »
Hey guys,

I'm sharing with you a new information, don't ask from where it comes and don't tell i told you  ;)

Owon wants piece of cake in the DSO market and is coming with new scopes, ditching the PDS and PDS (NEW) series. The first scope will be released approximately in third quarter of this year and its aimed to directly take the Rigol DS1052E from its throne. BW is 60 MHz, i have pictures and specs sheets. The rest will follow until first quarter of next year and should go up to 500 MHz.  I will post them later today arriving home, just read the information in my web mail directly from Owon. 
Oh, the joy of sending various electronics to silicon heaven

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: New DSO is arround the corner...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 11:55:03 am »
Owon's handheld scope could be a really nice piece of kit if they rewrote the software - it works OK, but the user interface is a complete dog. I don't know if their benchtop units are any better.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 12:02:30 pm »
Nice score!
Let's see'em!  ;D

Dave.

Offline mitpatterson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 04:43:09 pm »
Dave, mabey you should see if you can get in contact with someone there and get a demo unit before release like you did with the Agilent

Alex

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 04:58:30 pm »
Yeah, practise that Chinese.

Offline Sionyn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 05:03:34 pm »
as long as it involves going to the local Chinese take out i am happy to practise Chinese

they make the most fabulous mixed vegetable curry 
eecs guy

Alex

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 05:20:42 pm »
Try snake blood or jellyfish tentacles or any of these as captured from downtown Beijing, where the real Chinese cuisine can be found! We digress.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/8900/dsc01603t.jpg

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 07:25:54 pm »
I will get a demo unit in about a month (teardown guaranteed). Will finish work in hour or two, come home and post everything...

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 06:12:58 am »
Dissapointed  :(

I have specs only for 60 MHz for now, they will go up to 500 MHz . I will post as i get them... Generally alot on noise from Owon but after seeing it, fail.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 06:26:34 am »
business is business. not magic, unless its half the price.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:50:35 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 06:28:15 am »
Thanks for sharing!
Is it just me or is that one BUTT UGLY scope?
Where is the USB host?
500MS/s?

Dave.

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 07:08:07 am »
Thanks for sharing!
Where is the USB host?
500MS/s?

Dave.

Yeah, only nice LCD
On the side, you can see it in spec sheet
I will recopy mail from Owon later, reading it yesterday and seeing specs later i dont understand it  ;D

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 07:12:37 am »
I threw up in my mouth a little bit.  It looks like it was designed by Oldsmobile or something.

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 08:08:39 am »
I cant put my finger on it, but it just doesn't look rite.

Regards
Testing one two three...

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 02:07:34 pm »
very dissapointed, no single word about wfrm/s, ugly design and 500MSs ? Do they bought too many cheap ADCs and don't know what to do with them? probably. But hey, big screen - so typical marketing trick, we put new display and everybody think it is good value for money.

Anyway, let's see what the 500MHz modell will have.

Just a note that 500 Mhz model wont be available atleast 3 years. I was just confirmed in about 1 year they will release 200 MHz model. First is 60 MHz somwhere at end of this year, fresh information from e-mail recieved today. Why they take so much time to develop between models, i really dont know...  :(

Alex

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 02:42:52 pm »
That is just terrible. Several steps back in the evolution of scopes or more like a side step. Look at the buttons below the screen...terrible.

It takes so long because its just one guy designing this trying to find the cheapest suppliers ever.

I am curious to see the menu system.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 05:18:59 pm »
trust me. 3 years from now, when the 500MHz unit is ready, its not going to price like 50MHz unit now. so i better enjoy the oxygen as much as i can during the years.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 07:42:40 pm »
Yes, thanks for sharing the advance notice.  Still, we had to judge a book by its content, not its cover.  Too bad its such a low sampling rate, 250 Ms/s dual channel, per the spreadsheet.  The pic should have been made with a sample waveform on it.

The spreadsheet has added hi res photos, the ports are on the side: USB x 2 and RS-232.

Thanks for sharing!
Where is the USB host?
500MS/s?

Dave.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline ianryeng

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 05:47:03 am »
It may not be attractive and has a low(er) sample rate than its competitors but did you see how thin it is? Might be worth the compromise if space is an issue...
I also am curious if this will actually be 800x? after their previous larger screen models with their 4:1 pixel upconverting for lack of a better description.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 06:12:24 am »
very dissapointed, no single word about wfrm/s, ugly design and 500MSs ? Do they bought too many cheap ADCs and don't know what to do with them? probably. But hey, big screen - so typical marketing trick, we put new display and everybody think it is good value for money.

Anyway, let's see what the 500MHz modell will have.
Just a note that 500 Mhz model wont be available atleast 3 years. I was just confirmed in about 1 year they will release 200 MHz model. First is 60 MHz somwhere at end of this year, fresh information from e-mail recieved today. Why they take so much time to develop between models, i really dont know...  :(

3 years?
A good 500MHz analog front end is not easy to design, but geeze. It's rare someone would put a 3 year design cylce timeframe on a product like this these days.

Dave.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 06:33:59 am »
The thing looks tacky. Part from it is maybe because the shown unit might be a mock-up. But part from it is indeed the design. This is strange.

I am not going to say that Owon had beautifully looking oscilloscopes in the past, but they managed to give them an individual look. They even went so fare as to offer them in two colors http://owon.co.uk/MSO1.jpg  OK, they always felt a little bit tacky when it came to build quality, but they looked good.

But that thing? That thing has a touch of a CRT TV from the '50th. You know, when a TV wasn't only a TV but also a piece of furniture.

Why three years? Maybe Owon's owner is believing in the old communist way of planing ahead? Maybe they have a three year plan, like in "the good old days"? Looking at what is available today, sticking to that three year plan will make them irrelevant in the low-end oscilloscope market. Unless, of course, this is a deliberately placed red herring. What do we know about the source of the images and information?
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 08:40:16 am »
What do we know about the source of the images and information?

The information is genuine from Owon, since I'm authorized dealer for some companies from China, Owon somehow contacted me and offered me their DSO-s since i have some negotiations with other company for importing DSO-s at this time. I'm not sure how they came in contact with me and knew im planning to import DSO-s from some other competition, but information somehow leaked.

If there is some insinuations that i photo shopped that images, imagined specs and published them here because i had no better things to do, then you are very wrong

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 03:18:37 am »
The information is genuine from Owon, since I'm authorized dealer for some companies from China, Owon somehow contacted me and offered me their DSO-s since i have some negotiations with other company for importing DSO-s at this time. I'm not sure how they came in contact with me and knew im planning to import DSO-s from some other competition, but information somehow leaked.
leak? by the insider or someone in the business along the line. just as you, a dealer. now you leak their info to us, thanx alot. ask them to do better, instead of a furniture tv.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:22:29 am by Mechatrommer »

• Frequent Contributor
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 06:39:41 am »
Just got this, 300 Mhz version released... coming for review and teardown...

Offline grenert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 03:11:46 pm »
In the catalog, I think it's funny how obvious the image of the MSO model is a computer mockup  :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf