Author Topic: New Electronic Thermometer, 1955  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Homer J SimpsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
New Electronic Thermometer, 1955
« on: March 26, 2017, 03:35:26 pm »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: New Electronic Thermometer, 1955
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 03:58:24 pm »
Now available for under $5 as well, and it is hard now to actually buy a mercury thermometer as well.

Offline Stupid Beard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 03:59:16 pm »
I like how they say it can be used in the dark, which skips over the fact that to actually use it in the dark you'd still need a light and thus could use any thermometer  :-DD

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 04:25:12 pm »
Now available for under $5 as well, and it is hard now to actually buy a mercury thermometer as well.

I still remember the first time I saw a mercury thermometer.  A nice long one in high school.  The teacher was going to show us the temperature changes from ice to steam, so she put ice in a flask, took a cork and put a hole in it, fitted this onto the flask and then inserted the thermometer into the hole.  After a little entertainment where she lit the gas tap instead of the bunsen burner, we had heat under the flask.

The ice melted, the temperature rose and when it started boiling I didn't notice any steam escaping - that was until the cork and thermometer were launched into the vermiculite ceiling.  (The cork survived.)

An electronic thermometer wouldn't have been half as much fun.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf