Author Topic: MC3000 - a new kind of charger presented on IFA 2014  (Read 6516 times)

Offline dinoboyTopic starter

• Contributor
  • EE101
    • DC
MC3000 - a new kind of charger presented on IFA 2014
« on: September 01, 2014, 02:13:13 pm »
Hi guys,

i am dinoboy, expert ;) tester of round battery chargers. In 5 days, on the IFA Berlin 2014, a new kind of charger-analyzer will be presented to the public. Very interesting item for end users in the ecig, flashlight, RC toys scenes or people who deal with cylindrical batteries professionally/industrially.

Do you guys know IFA Berlin?, anyone going? — Or let's ask this way, is anyone interested in an advanced (yet affordable) fancy charger-analyzer for round batteries?

Some pre-release info on the charger can be found on CPF, the flashlight forum.

This is General Chat section, so i am keeping the OP general  ::)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:07:40 am by dinoboy »

n45048

Re: MC3000 - a new kind of charger presented on IFA 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 10:24:41 pm »
Regardless of what batteries you buy, to be able to see rated capacity and other stats during and at the end of the charge is a great feature. Batteries do fail over time. I'm not too bothered about the Bluetooth functionality, but I would assume firmware can be pushed to the device via Bluetooth as well, so yeah, I guess it has merit.

Besides, if you want to only partially charge a battery just to get something working, then the stats come in handy for that too (I know I usually rummage around for a while looking for charged batteries for cordless mice etc...).

On face value, it looks like a fairly well designed product.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:26:59 pm by Halon »

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 11:54:09 pm »
This looks pretty cool. I bet the guys over on the ECF are going gaga over it!

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

• Contributor
  • EE101
    • DC
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 11:31:29 pm »
Following the info spread in the CPF thread, maybe the key feature which should win over an ever growing user base of this new product is imho the upgradable firmware, which will guarantee evolved bugfree mature operation and also expandability of the code to include new future battery technologies, alternative charging algorithms (to suit every expert's demands), and possibly any other funky stuff which firmware h*ckers care to code, like games.

Martin will check it out afaik. And i wouldn't be surprised to see a review or teardown on this forum too  :bullshit:

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 11:33:12 pm »
We need better batteries, not better charger IMO
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 11:35:50 pm »
We need better batteries, not better charger IMO

I'll accept both!
depending on the price, I'll probably end up getting one: wanted a nice lion charger for a while but haven't found one suitable.

bluetooth and phone connectivity seems gimmicky to me, I'd rather have the flexibility of a desktop but with the tablet craze, it could work out well.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

• Contributor
  • EE101
    • DC
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 12:18:37 am »
I'd rather have the flexibility of a desktop but with the tablet craze, it could work out well.

The product has 1 (or 2) PC software applications to accompany the device through USB cable connectivity. I've seen preliminary software versions of it and it is okay for now. We know how long it takes to evolve a PC software program from something basic simple to something elaborate and detailed.

The bluetooth/phone connectivity is extra. That's an app for a modern smartphone with bluetooth version 4.0+. I'll prefer the PC software too, even though i also own a fancy smartphone.

prototype :

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 12:29:02 am by dinoboy »

Offline SirNick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 01:22:44 am »
Wait... there's a forum for flashlight enthusiasts?  You really can find anything on the Internet.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 11:21:19 am »

Wait... there's a forum for flashlight enthusiasts?  You really can find anything on the Internet.

Yup! There's even an *Arduino compatible flashlight* out now. I'm not even shitting you. Google Hexbright.

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 05:15:23 pm »

Yes. And it's HUGE!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf