Author Topic: New Mac Pro Retinal Has No Optical Drive And No Ethernet - Duh  (Read 20016 times)

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
Re: New Mac Pro Retinal Has No Optical Drive And No Ethernet - Duh
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 10:55:08 am »
dont forget : you can buy an apple 27" thunderbolt monitor
and then you have all gigabit ethernet, firewire, usb plugs at the back of the monitor
only by plugin the thunderbolt cable on the macbook pro ...
hot swap ...
ok it's $1000 more but who cares ?

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 11:13:52 am »
1) There are no places without WiFi, You cleverly dodged the question as proposed, I.E. a motel in East Yahoo, without WiFi.
Not dodging the question. You need to look at this from a grander perspective. Sure, you can cherry pick exceptional circumstances, like that East Yahoo motel. So what? Places like that is becoming a minority and will need to catch up. Even if the Average Joe's laptop happens to support an Ethernet port, what if he's got no cables for it? He's screwed either way. (People don't carry extra cables with them that often.)

2) Vk6go says he does not have WiFi at home or work. Hmm! Perhaps he is hallucinating.
3) The Apple Mac Pro is a great stand alone machine as long a you have an old Desktop and myriad wireless devices.
Users on this forum are electronics geeks, nerds, programmers, with different needs compared to a non-tech user. My router doesn't have a WiFi either. Apple's target audience is not you and me. They target Apple fans with their shiny Apple devices and Apple access points and Apple cloud servers.

Personally I wouldn't what a laptop without Ethernet, but I can envision a future where Ethernet is becoming less relevant for portable devices. Tablets have been working fine without it for a while now.

--As long as you are toting around a myriad of wireless devices, you probably would not mind the added weight of a USB Ethernet hookup, just in the unlikely event that a WiFi free location is encountered.
To do the test, in reality you'll need... 1 smart phone. That's it. People who are mobile and want a laptop will most likely have at least one other portable device that is WiFi capable.

Re (2),Sarge inadvertently "took my name in vain". ;D
I use WiFi all the time,& also suggested that a 3G dongle would get around the "away from home" Internet access problem.

Offline Omicron

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 11:27:00 am »
But I don't think we'll ever see something so practical come from Apple. Form over function is their thing, as we all know.
Clearly Apple still manages to evoke the "love em or hate em" syndrome with so many polarized opinions. Personally I like many of their products and wouldn't agree with above statement. But then again that is purely subjective off course. So then what is it that attracts people like me to these products? I guess it would be the same thing that makes me want to watch Dave spend half an hour enthusiastically explaining a case idea for a new power supply. It's the care and effort that was spent on designing the product and the drive to come up with something new and original. It's the same thing that attracts me to the old HP and Tektronix devices. Maybe that just makes me a snob in some peoples eyes. But I much prefer that my money ends up rewarding companies that still embody this love for their products. Too many companies these days seem to be driven purely by their marketing departments with their design teams slavishly pushing out "me too" type of products instead of being allowed to use their talents come up with new and original things. Again, this is just my own personal opinion.

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2012, 12:25:09 pm »
My 13" MacBook pro still works as good as the day I bought it, and its now 2 generations old. My old laptop was 2/3rds the price, lasted a year before the hinge cracked, and wasn't as nice to use. I still use my iPod video 5G from like 6-7years ago.

I've used the optical drive in my laptop maybe 3-4 times since I've had it, and not out of necessity. The network port is a bit annoying, but I mainly used it for direct connection to devices not on my home network (servers/routers and whatnot for diagnostics/setup).

You can directly compare specifications with other brands all you want, but I've always found Apple stuff to be built to a much higher standard. Whether that premium is worth it, is completely up to you. There's a lot of things they do that I don't completely agree with, and some products are simply priced way out of my pricerange (not many people drop $2500 on a laptop, but if you look at the professional laptops from Dell/HP/Lenovo they're also up there in price).

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 12:28:17 pm »
Oi! Bunch of whiners  :D

You don't get it ! It's APPLE  ( drool mode on .. )
They will sell you a 50$ stylish white ethernet to usb dongle thingie which the sheeple will suck up like its the second coming of whatever... 'oh look what apple has invented this time. An iPlug so i can connect my network cable to a usb port. It's brilliant.. And in the perfect shade of white too ! '

One day they will make the iScrew and it will be installed personally by a 'genius' in the store under laud applause of all the people present in the store.

Drop 'em and bend over please . This will only take a second... There you go sir. Now you are an official iDiot.

Ironically sent from my iPad...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 02:54:03 pm »
The lack of ethernet I would find annoying, but the optical drive can go and stay away. They use a lot of space in the laptop and hardly get used. I'm all for a second HDD/SSD, or an additional battery, or, actually, how about a hotswap bay which can do any of those things and more?

Oh, wait, hasn't my Thinkpad got that? Strange, it seems to have that. And they have done for how many years?! Well, I never would've expected that..
Panasonic have had that in the toughbook range since 2000 at least.

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 03:09:03 pm »
'iDiot'!  ;D
LOL, free_electron! Brilliant pun and, absolutely, on the mark!

I could not agree more with everything you said (alright, 'wrote'), especially on the missing (== redundant perhaps, according to the Apple Standards) Ethernet port and the non-quality and insecure WiFi connections --particularly for the workstation machines that usually are bolted on a fixed place...

APPLE is the latest religion* with the selling point "us vs. them," that is providing to the clueless masses nice but overpriced gadgets to be accessing their FaceBook account 3,257 times per day; nice but overpriced gadgets that should be replaced before they 'expire' (meaning before the replacement overpriced iGadgets show their faces on the selves, right after a few months time the current ones sent most of their victims owners to get yet another painful loan to acquire them).

What I cannot stand is the Apple 'innovations' that find their way to the products of other firms. For example, I really hate to see the "breathing" power LED indicator of my Dell U2410 monitor because I cannot tell the monitor power status with a single glimpse, since I have to be staring at it for at least half a second time to see if it is lit and in what color... It might be handy if you are using that fancy and overpriced iGadgets to be fishing for dumb chicks that might fall for such tricks; but it is not ergonomic --and I do not want to hear that flashing a 0.5mA freaking LED indicator will save 20mWh/day and the planet...

-George

(*) Oh my, discussions like this one remind me how I miss the religion thread... :P
Hi! This is George; and I am three and a half years old!
(This was one of my latest realisations, now in my early fifties!...)

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 03:18:32 pm »
Dear AntiProtonBoy:

--Thanks for your comment. Please allow me to gently and respectfully, chide you a little.

--Assume for a moment that you have only the following. A high speed internet connection which is not wireless, (a $5 to $20 cost per mo.). A new Apple Mac Pro, and a brand new, in the box, Apple Airport router or equivalent. How do you connect?

--You are on the road in East Yahoo. The motel does not provide wireless, but does have the old obsolete wall jack, which allows management to have complete positive control of access. How do you connect?

--You do not have a Desktop and you suspect the Cable Modem or the Router, or maybe even (yikes) the Apple Mac Pro is not functioning. How do you check, it?

--A young woman, whose Email address, you misplaced, posts you a DVD disk containing pictures of her and her girlfriends on the beach in Cancun....

--Next Apple will do away with USB, and tell you to just, get  wireless cameras, scanners and what not, and use the cloud. They will tell you "Don't be a fuddy duddy." Enter the future, eschew backward compatibility, and tell the Old Folks and anyone who is not at the absolute latest level of technology to just p*ss off." Eh?

"You should never bet against anything in science at odds of more than about 1012 to 1."
Ernest Rutherford 1871 1937

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Somebody had to start phasing out older technologies. They provide adapters, if you really depend on ethernet. As for DVDs, you only need another computer (PC or Mac) with a DVD drive and an Apple program to let the MacBook Pro "borrow" it.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 03:50:12 pm »
'iDiot'!  ;D
LOL, free_electron! Brilliant pun and, absolutely, on the mark!

APPLE is the latest religion

Scientology could learn a lot from  "the church of Apple"  ;D

1) waaay more followers
2) even more expensive stuff to buy
3) fanatical following that will vehemently defend anything
4) make way more money.
5) better pavlovian conditioning

iGadgets to be fishing for dumb chicks that might fall for such tricks

it's gotten to the point where you have to watch out when shopping not to run in to people.
i was in a store yesterday looking at some chees and i step forward , luckily i noticed that 'bimbo' in front of me had just whipped out her iPhone to look at an incoming text. she blocked the wholelane to reply to it. there were at least 3 other people growling...
It' unbelievable. They hear the plingploing and the world just freezes.

Other scenario : i walk in golden gate park. Young couple sitting romantically under a tree , picknick basket by their side , .. or so i thought .. until i looked closely : each staring at their own iphone with their earbuds in... sigh ...

Oh yeah i have an iPad and an iMac too. for two reasons : iPad is great to stay in touch with mom on the other side of the world , who doesn't know how to use a computer but could figure out the iPad in 2 minutes. Facetime is great. ( yeah there's skype too but it; too cluttered. facetime is 1 button. )
and she can take picture and email with a few button pushes. so if she gets a letter she can't figure out i can help. Dad died in february and i bought two ipads that i tuned to the same account so i can 'manage' her machine. whatever i do appears on her box through the magic of the cloud.

As for the iMac .. you need one if you want to make apps or use iAuthor to make books ... no escaping. i got a demo model at 50% off (27 inch 2010 model)

Mac's are good for simple things. But as soon as you want to do something even remotely out of their scope of mind  .. bugger all ...
I had a situation this morning. I'm in facetime and mom shows a document.. eh. i need a screen shot. on a Pc there is a convenient key 'prtscrn' ( has been there since it was dos 1.0 )
On a mac ? i took me 5 minutes to figure out you need to do a fingercramp inducing option-shift -4, then hit the space bar , then click on the window you want to capture ... WHAT THE FUCK APPLE ?  And they laugh at ctrl-alt-del ....

I made fun of appletarts that were pissing on microsoft. Of , so you have a mac ? i guess you must really like microsoft then since you bought a machine that is built to run Microsoft word , Microsoft excel , Microsoft powerpoint and even Microsoft Internet Explorer -GRIN- ( this was when apple didn't even have their own browser ...

I got nothing against apple or their machines. As said i have two (  i even have an iphone ) but to me computers and operating systems are just a tool like a screwdriver is. you use the machine to make something with it. it's just a bit of hardware , running a piece of system management code (the Os ) that let's you run one or more programs that make your life easier.
Not something to get all glazy eyed and dribbling drool over... ( if it had the Agilent logo on it and a couple of bnc connectors on the front i could understand the drooling factor  ;D )

I'm secretly hoping apple will make a toilet next. So you can tweet your friends on facepalmbook "iPood on the iCrap. Posted from my (now slightly brown) iPad"

Ps : I do not take myself too seriously , and neither should the reader of this post  ;D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:54:39 pm by free_electron »
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 04:10:56 pm »
Other scenario : i walk in golden gate park. Young couple sitting romantically under a tree , picknick basket by their side , .. or so i thought .. until i looked closely : each staring at their own iphone with their earbuds in... sigh ...
That's pretty sad. This kinda reminded me of a bunch dudes going out and hang out in general. There they were, sitting around, and nobody was talking. They all stared at their bloody phones.

Offline _Sin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2012, 04:34:05 pm »
IME the horde of Apple hating fanatics is larger, dumber, and considerably more vocal than the group which blindly buys any Apple product.

Not sure I'd catergorise the latter as a "religion", but the former... maybe :)
Programmer with a soldering iron - fear me.

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2012, 05:07:18 pm »
Command + Shift + 3 = screenshot of everything conveniently saved to a file on your desktop.

Windows makes you open paint to save it.

In either case, its hardly a difficult operation.

Don't blame your lack of experience using the OS as its fault and not your own  ::)

(btw the blinded apple hating people are just as bad as the blindly apple loving people... how about you just evaluate what you want/need and get on with it. Obviously they are doing something right to get where they are now...)

Innovation is just as much about creating the idea as well as making it into a usable and accessible product.

What I like most about OSX is you get pretty much all the basic tools you need out of the box. Want to merge multiple PDF documents? Built in to the preview app. Windows? Go buy adobe acrobat or something else. Want to print a document to PDF? Built in. Windows? Go download a third party app (there's good free ones, and is something I always install on a windows PC).

Know what I don't like? The bloody window management system. As in, maximising/resizing windows. In windows you can just use the Win + Arrow keys to move windows around. I love that.

I also find there are just as many fanatics for other products (Samsung Galaxy S3 and so on), just as many bimbo's with HTC phones blocking aisles, and so on. People just have this thing for picking on Apple. It makes me laugh because you know damn well Apple is so good at what they do (marketing!) it makes people react like that.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:15:07 pm by metalphreak »

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2012, 05:34:42 pm »
I am sorry to hear about your loss, free_electron. I also lost my father last year in March, so I know perfectly well what the loss of a beloved family member feels like...

Quote from: free_electron
Oh yeah i have an iPad and an iMac too.
I am familiar with Apple's products, since I was given one of the first MacBooks as a New Year's present. After trying to get myself familiar with it and saw the restrictions ("you can run only the applications we approve of") and ethics (blatant spying on the users' habits in favor of the obvious personalized advertisement, if not for any other more sinister reasons) of the Apple products and company. Right after that, I repacked it, returned it back and never looked at the Apple products again.

Of course, it is not that these things happen in the Apple products only: I have literally castrated the Win7 platform I am using, by permanently disabling more than 50 services that are not there for my own interests; services that should be not there in the first place... I am just using wintel because most of the serious programs that exist today have been written for this specific platform.

Facetime is great.
This is true! My family is also communicating with my brother, who lives on the other side of the pond, using Skype. I was reluctant to get an easy-to-use iPad for my mother, who now has a feather-class Sony VAIO laptop, in which I have also taken care of the Win7 platform indiscretions. :)

I got nothing against apple or their machines. [...] to me computers and operating systems are just a tool like a screwdriver is.
This is my point, exactly! What they all are to me, is tools. One platform is good for some tasks, as another platform is good for some other ones. What irritates me is the marketing techniques some companies utilise to get themselves fanatic customers. Additionally, I have nothing against the people using Apple products. What pisses me off is that almost not one of them can see how Apple has trapped them into becoming their fanatic customers for life, by using despicable religious techniques...

Now, I would not really wish to comment on euphemistical deceiving terms I can read, like "The Cloud" or "Green Development" or any other ones of this kind...

-George
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:38:12 pm by A Hellene »
Hi! This is George; and I am three and a half years old!
(This was one of my latest realisations, now in my early fifties!...)

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2012, 05:45:30 pm »
What I like most about OSX is you get pretty much all the basic tools you need out of the box. Want to merge multiple PDF documents? Built in to the preview app. Windows? Go buy adobe acrobat or something else. Want to print a document to PDF? Built in. Windows? Go download a third party app (there's good free ones, and is something I always install on a windows PC).
You know why that's the case for Windows, right?  It's because every time Microsoft add some new feature that was previously the domain of third-party add-ons, they find themselves staring down the business end of another anti-trust lawsuit.  It happened with the browser, the media player, the firewall; the anti-virus got released as an add-on to sidestep it.  I can just imagine the howls of protest if they included things like PDF tools...

(Of course, OEMs could include such things out-of-the-box with new machines, but the vendors presumably don't offer suitable kickbacks so instead we get a pile of crap that does nothing useful or particularly well.  Gah.)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2012, 05:54:04 pm »
The lack of ethernet I would find annoying, but the optical drive can go and stay away. They use a lot of space in the laptop and hardly get used. I'm all for a second HDD/SSD, or an additional battery, or, actually, how about a hotswap bay which can do any of those things and more?

Oh, wait, hasn't my Thinkpad got that? Strange, it seems to have that. And they have done for how many years?! Well, I never would've expected that..
Panasonic have had that in the toughbook range since 2000 at least.

Thinkpads have had them since 1993.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2012, 06:15:32 pm »
Well i hate iCrap devices as much as any hater does, BUT!
I genuinely have me reasons for hating Crapple
First, i DID try all the crApple devices before.
1) Macbook
Oh sounds so good, software's shit and is just a modified FreeBSD with a Mach Kernel and costs money then FreeBSD
2) iPad
 Crappy thing has everything thrown out!
3) iPhone
SLOW AND SLOW AND SLOW battery life short like F**K SO MANY LIMITATIONS SO MUCH COST
4) That mini apple tv thing
Now really look at that thing, you call that nice? I CALL THAT FUGLY! THE DESIGNERS AT APPLE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE DOING!
It's just a china box with a shitload of crap inside
5) Marketing department
"Fastest phone on the market" OH REALLY?! THE IPHONE 4 LAUNCHED AFTER THE MYRIAD OF A8-1GHZ DEVICES AND IT'S SLOW AS HELL
6) Design Department
Really all their designs if you squint, might look a little good
7) Hardware Design Department
Being so slow at designing ( HA they just took samsung's stock SoC design ) and end up releasing a long time after Samsung and HTC has done so,
8) Quality
Bitch please, it's all made in china, once you drop either of the devices, all bets are off, the quality is complete crap and it's all overpriced

If you think YOUR macbook is good, bitch please.
My mom spent 499USD and gets a spankin' 15.6" with 1.4GHz Quad-Cores with 8GB Ram and TWO graphic processors
Do you get it with you crApple laptop? No.

Offline Omicron

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2012, 06:48:14 pm »
IME the horde of Apple hating fanatics is larger, dumber, and considerably more vocal than the group which blindly buys any Apple product.

Not sure I'd catergorise the latter as a "religion", but the former... maybe :)
Amen to that!

Oops...didn't want to get all religious there ;-)

Offline _Sin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, 06:52:56 pm »
Nurse!  DaveXRQ hasn't taken his medicine again!

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2012, 07:26:52 pm »
Command + Shift + 3 = screenshot of everything conveniently saved to a file on your desktop.
Windows makes you open paint to save it.
In either case, its hardly a difficult operation.
i had an email ready , all i need is to include a screenshot of 1 active window ( not the whole bloody screen ).
in windows : ALT-Prtscrn , click email tool hit ctrl-v to insert ...

on apple ctrl-option-4 , hit spacebar to get the camera tool then click on the window you want to grab . it throws this a sa file on the desktop. i dont need a stinking file ! i need it on the clipboard ! click mail tool , drag file in... send email , drag temporary file to trashcan , click trash icon - delet all trash , click yes on propmpt ... yeaarghhhhh ! why so complicated ? this is boneheaded !

simple things should be simple.

By the way i am not an 'apple hater' nor an 'apple fanatic'. It's a machine that lets me do things. and that's it. As a technical person ( when doing electronics ) i wouldn't touch a mac with a long stick.... you can't muck with the innards , there's virtually no electronics related software for it , and i'd be pissing my pants worrying i might fry it and lose a wad of money ... and that's perfectly fine. That is not the macs target audience.

If i need a machine i can take a soldering iron to i'll get a cheap 50$ mobo with a 100$ cpu and solder away. if i fry it i get a new mobo and swap the cpu over. Then again , i wouldn't touch that homebrew computer with a long stick if i had to do some serious graphics work (premiere / final cut / lightroom / aperture / illustrator etc .. ) Gimme the mac. The display alone. Finding a pc monitor with 2560x1280 is a pain in the butt... and windows still hasn't figured out how to do 32 bit color... they're stuck at 24 ... )

if i need a filer in a corner that can chug away as a NAS : i'll happily install loonix.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2012, 07:29:41 pm »
Nurse!  DaveXRQ hasn't taken his medicine again!

Offline _Sin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2012, 07:56:37 pm »
on apple ctrl-option-4 , hit spacebar to get the camera tool then click on the window you want to grab . it throws this a sa file on the desktop. i dont need a stinking file ! i need it on the clipboard ! click mail tool , drag file in... send email , drag temporary file to trashcan , click trash icon - delet all trash , click yes on propmpt ... yeaarghhhhh ! why so complicated ? this is boneheaded !

If you're holding down ctrl, your screen-grab *does* go to the clipboard. If not, you get a file.

So yeah, slightly more long winded than on windows, if you want a window rather than the screen, but not as long winded as you make out.

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2012, 08:29:37 pm »
Uh, TIME-OUT!

You can copy/paste either way on either box, that's a software issue! How did we end up with this big fight about copy/paste?! It's not like Windows can materialize an Ethernet port or optical drive out of thin air while mac OS can't (or the other way around).

Offline caroper

• Regular Contributor
    • Take your PIC
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2012, 10:59:26 pm »
I wonder how much my Lisa is worth now?
I better dig it out and see if it still works. :)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2012, 04:43:26 am »
Probably a lot more than my Mac ( original 128k unit, with all the signatures inside the case).

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2012, 08:53:47 am »
My 13" MacBook pro still works as good as the day I bought it, and its now 2 generations old. My old laptop was 2/3rds the price, lasted a year before the hinge cracked, and wasn't as nice to use. I still use my iPod video 5G from like 6-7years ago.
The Pro (aluminium cased) models weren't too bad (although I think they're a bit overpriced), but the old regular plastic-cased MacBooks seemed to have used an inferior plastic composition and tend to crack around the edges. A quick search on the Internet of "macbook crack" shows this defect clearly.

I prefer Thinkpads, never had any problems with them. :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf