Author Topic: New Macbook Pro released  (Read 27907 times)

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: New Macbook Pro released
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2016, 08:08:28 am »
This leaves the market of posers and people who are too stubborn to admit that it was a bad idea switching. And occasionally as this thread points out, the former disguising themselves through justification that they need to provide some figures for a emotional purchase because half their mind is rational and the other half is "ooooh shiny thing!!!"
No, this leaves a bunch of posers who cannot admit most of the people can live without them or don't use them at all.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2016, 08:17:16 am »
I hardly ever look at the keyboard when I use a computer - even for function keys and special signs - they have embedded themselves as muscle memory - so the TouchBar is rather useless to me. I use an old IBM style keyboard on the Mac when "at home" and that is absolutely perfect - part from keyboard is so worn it shines a bit like a mirror on the keys that use to be mat black...

I had hoped for lightweight 15 (or even 17) inch high power developer machine. But I guess I'll wait for KLake 7-series to hit the Lenovo P series and put my MBP into retirement as a "shelf mounted" Xamarin compiler. The 16GB max is not enough for the things I do even with a super speed swap space on SSD.

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2016, 08:52:24 am »
So next stop Lenovo X1 Carbon. Macbooks have already shriveled up in the traditional tech space. I'm even seeing hipsters with windows 10 machines.

Funny how Lenovo started this touch bullshit for the function keys, but they went back to buttons. Still has a fucked up keyboard layout, but at least they are buttons again.

I really wish some manufacturer would bring back the Lenovo T60 or Dell Latitude D series keyboard layout.

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2016, 08:54:40 am »
So next stop Lenovo X1 Carbon. Macbooks have already shriveled up in the traditional tech space. I'm even seeing hipsters with windows 10 machines.

Funny how Lenovo started this touch bullshit for the function keys, but they went back to buttons. Still has a fucked up keyboard layout, but at least they are buttons again.

I really wish some manufacturer would bring back the Lenovo T60 or Dell Latitude D series keyboard layout.

Exactly. Lenovo saw the error of their ways.

I'm on an X201 at the moment that is 6 years old. I've had newer machines (Two MBPs) but this thing is orders of magnitude more productive even if it's old.

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2016, 10:26:19 am »
I'll just buy another X201 I think when this one dies. Does me fine as most of my computing power is remote (AWS) and you can get NOS ones that have been hiding in the corners of distributors for virtually nothing these days. £200-300 for a new unit with a 9-cell battery.

10 hours, bomb proof, nice keyboard, can take a coffee in it and shrug (yes I've done that) and can strip and fix anything with a single screwdriver.

Offline magetoo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2016, 02:51:11 pm »
To add, who the hell thought it was a good idea to take a touch keyboard, the thing that nobody likes using, and adding it to a real keyboard. Next thing you know the next macbook pro will get rid of the keyboard altogether and replace it with a touch screen.  |O

If I recall correctly, Apple bought a company (long time ago) that did exactly this - they were the first, the first I heard of anyway, to have products that would let you use gestures on touch interfaces.  There was a small one that became the touchpad as we know it today, and a large keyboard-sized one you could type on.  Looked very Star Trek.

Wonder what happened to that Thinkpad project where they would take ideas from the community.  From what I remember, the community were mostly on the side of "get rid of this modern nonsense and give us an updated T60".

("Sent from my Thinkpad T60p")

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2016, 08:23:49 pm »
 I don't touch type, never had. I do best on a proper mechanical keyboard, the modern style laptop keyboard are ok, but the old ones without the individual keys were horrible. In my iPad, if I use it in landscape orientation and propped up at an angle (as the cover is designed to do), the size of the on screen keyboard is big enough for me to type effectively. For more serious note taking, I have an keyboard cover with an actual physical keyboard. I have and do just take the iPad to meetings instead of carting my laptop along, using an app like Evernote it then syncs to my Windows laptop. There are also plenty of use cases that do not require large amoutns of text entry, this is where a tablet of any sort excels.

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2016, 09:46:20 am »
Apple Engineer Talks About New 2016 Macbook Pro:

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2016, 05:44:48 pm »
Hahaha perfect!

Offline rfbroadband

• Supporter
« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2016, 07:30:12 pm »
brilliant.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2016, 07:46:03 pm »
The audio is funny enough (nothing to do with Apple), but with the captions together it's hilarious.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf