Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1450425 times)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #1175 on: September 08, 2013, 12:52:04 am »
Electronics is both a hobby and a component of my studies. ... and Liechtenauer fencing. Some of these are more applicable to electronics than others, ...

Well if there is any way to combine Liechtenauer fencing with electronincs, somebody here will figure it out.  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Skaface

• Contributor
« Reply #1176 on: September 13, 2013, 03:21:03 am »
Hey, I have just joined this forum, im a bench tech at moorabbin airport, vic and I repair aircraft radios and electronics. Its an interesting field as im fault finding radios that are mostly from the late 70's and 80's, so its all dirty old school circuits which can actually be repaired, rather than todays method of swapping complete boards.
One of the biggest problems is hunting down old transistors and IC's which are no longer in production

Offline surfinbird72

« Reply #1177 on: September 13, 2013, 06:29:00 am »
Hi all, my name is Bart and I am from Belgium. I have a master degree in electronics but specialized as embedded C++ programmer in professional life. However, I'm still 'playing' with electronics as a hobby.

Offline WhiteWolf

• Contributor
« Reply #1178 on: September 13, 2013, 10:44:37 am »
Hi,

My name is Daniel and living in Sweden. Can speak 4 languages: swedish, finnish, english and some german. Finished my study to EE on University of Gefle, right now I'm just waiting to get my exam on paper and searching for a new job. Been looking on Dave's videos for some time now and reading this forum also, but this week I decided to become a member. I thought that I didn't need to be on another forum, when I'm already in so many and I'm good off with the swedish electronics forum but I became a member anyway here :)

Electronics and computers have been my hobby since I was like 8-9 years old back in the middle/late 90's. Been working as a hardware designer and software designer on microcontrollers, I like C but asm is a little pain in the ass sometimes.. But my new interests are EMC/EMI and digital signal processing <- cool stuff but the EMC/EMI is like magic :p

But right now I don't have a own electronics lab cause I moved in to my girlfriends apartment and there is almost no space for it. Hopefully next year we have moved into a bigger apartment or house :)

That's for me now,  great forum by the way!

Offline Aurora900

• Contributor
« Reply #1179 on: September 16, 2013, 11:29:54 pm »
Hi!  I'm Danielle.  I'm a computer tech/systems admin from New York who likes to play with electronics on the side.  I'm passionate about technology in every aspect, but hardware is my favorite part.  I know a bit of programming too (mostly Java) and I'm also a photographer and musician.

I joined the forums since I just picked up my first scope.  It seemed like a good place to turn for help and advice with that :P  (Seeing as I got all my information so far from David's videos)

Offline atw60444

• Contributor
« Reply #1180 on: September 22, 2013, 01:26:41 pm »
Hi,
   I'm Jonathan from Portsmouth in England. I've been following Dave's video blogs since #1, whenever that was!
I owned my first soldering iron from age 8, passed my Radio Amateurs Examination at 16. Worked in the Telecoms industry for 32 years. But been tinkering with electronics and radio construction & repair most of the time as my main hobby.
I also play 2nd Cornet and am Chairman for a local Brass Band. It makes a nice break from technology :) 

Jon

Offline Scotty

« Reply #1181 on: September 25, 2013, 03:15:14 am »
Hello all, my name is Scott and I'm currently a student at Louisiana Tech University majoring in Mechanical Engineering, but I have a interest in electronics design.  I cant wait to be an active member on this forum.

Offline madsci

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1182 on: September 26, 2013, 06:31:12 am »
I'm Andrew from Dallas, Texas. I'm currently a part time student at the University of Texas at Arlington majoring in EE. I'm currently clearing out some prerequisite courses to the more advanced stuff.

I'm also the on-call sysadmin for a small private school back home and I run a tiny PC and electronics repair shop out of my bedroom, an operation that has been going on for about 15 years. I completed my first stereo repair when I was 9 years old and I've been interested in anything that passes electrons in a controlled manner since I shocked the heck out of myself on some xmas lights when I was 3.

I'm also a ham...KE5TMP.

Offline Köcki

« Reply #1183 on: September 26, 2013, 02:30:51 pm »
hello everybody, i am köcki from germany. just a beginner in pcb and electronic design. i hope i can learn a lot and perhaps even help you and give some advices.

regards

Offline andtfoot

• Supporter
« Reply #1184 on: September 26, 2013, 02:56:19 pm »
I've posted a couple of times now after an extended lurk, so I suppose I should chuck something here... :)
I'm Andrew from Australia. Currently living near and working in Canberra as an Audio/Video Technician of sorts.

I picked up electronics as a hobby back in high-school (I'm 26 now, so... sometime ~10 years ago?), and did most of an Adv. Dip. in Electronics before a job opportunity struck. Been working full-time since, but wouldn't mind finishing off the course.

I've recently gotten into it again and also started earning enough to get a bit more serious with the hobby so I'm stocking up the "lab". I have a cheap analog and digital scope, DMM, soldering station, chip programmer, assorted misc; looking at PSUs, function generator, etc in the near-ish future.

Loving the videos and the knowledge on here. :D

Offline Br0ski

• Contributor
  • Comms Tech
    • Worldwide Social Gamers Network
« Reply #1185 on: October 01, 2013, 11:36:52 am »
Br0ski here. Was an Electronics Technician for the military working on Satellite Communications always been interested in electronics. I like what Dave's doing here (love his videos) and thought I would drop in and check this place out. Maybe participate a little. I am still learning as electronics spans a very huge array of topics and expertise. Currently I am using most of my skills for setting up audio equipment and learning about that. I work now as an Industrial Engineer.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:41:24 am by Br0ski »
5 yrs Electronics Technician in Military Satellite Communications: EHF/SHF/UHF/VHF/HF/VLF/ELF
I am no expert (still learning).
Worldwide Social Gamers Network - If you like to game come join us.

Offline djococaud

• Regular Contributor
  • General rule : Simpler is Better
    • Djo Labs
« Reply #1186 on: October 01, 2013, 10:21:46 pm »
Hi everyone,
My name is Jonathan, also called "Djo", I'm currently a LED lighting system designer in a small company in Nantes (France).
My typical working day is to draw PCBs for LED Spots, LED stage lights, LED video screens and so on...
My hobbies are music (piano, guitar, bass...) and electronics (of course  ;)), Mostly based on LEDs (Yes I'm a LED fanatic  ;D).

Oh yeah, and I love this forum ! :-+

Offline victor

• Regular Contributor
  • Boy who writes code and take things apart
    • vitim.us
« Reply #1187 on: October 03, 2013, 03:16:33 am »
Hi, my name is Victor, I'm a computer science kid, but I was always playing with electronics before computers, I was always hacking electronics, blowing shit, taking things apart.

My interest in electronics started since taking toys apart, then I was facinated about transmitters I dived in rf and analog electronics, etching some boards using all savaged parts. Some years after I started programming software and I dived in digital electronics.

I was always following all kind of electronics content on books and the internet, so one day I found the EEVBlog about 2 years ago, watching it since then but just recently joined the forum.
your body is limited, but not your mind

Offline alan747

« Reply #1188 on: October 06, 2013, 11:26:27 pm »
Hey! im Alan and i have a very big interest in all things electronic.

Offline coreybus

« Reply #1189 on: October 07, 2013, 12:03:10 am »
Hi Im Corey. Studying Electrical Engineering at The Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT). First year as of 2013. I have always been interested in electronics and how electronic systems function so i though becoming an Electrical Engineer would be a fitting career path into something that i am truly interested in.

Offline Rcouto

« Reply #1190 on: October 07, 2013, 12:06:14 am »
Hi All,

Ricardo from Canada. I am an electronics hobbyst. Love Dave's youtube channel.

Cheers!

Offline hughes_k

• Contributor
« Reply #1191 on: October 07, 2013, 12:10:29 am »
Hey, everyone! I'm Kevin from Philadelphia.  I am just about done my Master's in EE from JHU (Baltimore, MD), and have my bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering double with Applied Math and Statistics.  I love Dave's videos, and have found the forum to be really interesting too.

Offline Hamster

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1192 on: October 07, 2013, 12:17:01 am »
Hey, New Member 2x .... I was a member, but got purged ? had to resign up.

I repair Arcade & Pinball PCB Boards, and Member of the Orlando, FL , US Familab Hackspace, and Tampa, FL, US "Tampa hackerspace" .

I own various test equipment:

HP 16700A & B Units , Modules include dso, la, pg ..
Rigol 815-tg + swr bridge
Rigol 100mhz dso scope
fluke 9010 microprocessor test system.
fluke z80 & 6809 portable microprocessor test boxes.(not sure on exact model #)
rhode & swartz rf signal generator
crt tube rejuvenator.
lots of avr & arduino stuff.

i just enjoyed the weekend @ the orlando mini maker faire, baby sitting & coding on the "RaspberryPi Controlled Fireball" Pinball machine..

i am also one of them "amateur radio operators" , US Call-sign "KI4SWY"
Arcade Board Repair Guru.  [ twitch: HammysHangout , youTube: Hammy Builds ]

Offline lagman

• Contributor
« Reply #1193 on: October 07, 2013, 12:36:21 am »
Hey,
I'm François and I live in France. I just got a Master's degree in micro electronics and I'm currently looking for my first job.
I like to play with electronics in general but I specially like RC planes (currently owning a Bixler 2).
I also LOVE batteries. I guess it's because they can contain so much power... I like to build battery powered things, like LED flashlights or an USB emergency battery.
Looking forward to learn many things here!

Offline usLEDsupply

• I'm addicted to Arduinos, CNC Machines, Electronic
    • usLEDsupply
« Reply #1194 on: October 07, 2013, 12:49:46 am »
Hello, i think i have watched every one of the EEVblog videos over the past few years and lave learned a lot about electronics and test equipment from them:-) for work i do product design and tech support for usLEDsupply and i am always excited to work on electronic projects or making things with our CNC routers.
Hello to all
Desta from Mercer, PA USA

Offline MichaelW

• Contributor
« Reply #1195 on: October 07, 2013, 01:32:07 am »
Well, this could be a ridiculously long post, but I'll keep it as short as I can. I am 41 year old working on a electrical engineering degree.

As a kid I was interested in electronics, I took stuff apart. I read a few books. I built a few circuits that were featured in those books. However, I never really understood what I was doing. I was a poor student and ended up quitting school at 15, joined the US Navy at 17 (got my GED in the Navy), was a welder (poor ASVAB math scores prevented getting into anything interesting like electronics), got out and got into computers and spent the next ~20 years being a bench tech/it consultant... but wasn't happy.  I always regretted not going to college, and I always regretted not pursuing my interest in electronics. So, when I lost my job do to the economy in 2009, I decided to go to the local community college. Initially, I intended to go for a CompSci degree, but quickly decided that I really didn't want to do that.  What I REALLY wanted to do was finally get into electronics!  So, I switched gears and started on the long path toward an EE degree. It took me 4 years to get my AA (had to work and pay bills, plus a LOT of remedial math) and right now I am at University as a Junior in the EE program.

A while back I discovered Dave on one of his videos and was highly entertained and learned something, so I decided to watch more of his videos. Been watching ever since. I finally decided to come over to the forum and register. I'll be asking some dumb questions, I'm sure. To be honest, I have been wanting to post something for a while, but I've been intimidated. I know so very little, I feel dumb for even being here. As if I have nothing to contribute.

I think Dave and I are about the same age, and had I had the presence of mind, dedication, and drive that he has, I could probably have been doing something so much more productive and interesting with my life than the aimless wandering it has been so far. Hopefully I can make this course correction work and spend the next 20+ years doing something I enjoy.

Hmm. Now that I read back over that it was a rambling mess. Let me try again:

Was interested in electronics as kid, quit school, joined Navy, wasted life for 20 years, lost job, started college, working on EE degree at University now.

That was better.

Offline chrisdevilx3

« Reply #1196 on: October 07, 2013, 01:32:54 am »
Hi, my name is Chris and I am from Greece. I am an Electrical and Computer Engineering student and Iam interested in everything involves hardware. I like arduino constructions and stuff..

Offline bronzies

« Reply #1197 on: October 07, 2013, 02:05:40 am »
Hello from California. I am a molecular biology student. I am taking a few DCC classes on the side and am excited about the skills I'm getting. Hopefully there are a few electronics projects in my future!

Offline dacrawf

• Supporter
« Reply #1198 on: October 07, 2013, 02:40:47 am »
Hi everyone! My name is Derek, I am from Michigan. I am a computer engineer by education. I am employed as a mechatronics engineer for a global heavy duty diesel engine manufacturer. My job is focused around CAN based distributed  engine control system test and validation using hardware in the loop simulation. I have followed the eevblog videos since Dave was still in his garage...

Offline cubansite

• Contributor
« Reply #1199 on: October 07, 2013, 02:44:07 am »
Hey guys im lew

Born in cuba, but grew up in the states with the passion to take things apart and see if i could break fix it.

love the blog

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf