Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1433922 times)

Offline Allan88

Introduce yourself thread!
« Reply #1525 on: August 28, 2014, 11:37:17 am »
Hi, I am new to eevblog. I am electrical engineer. I am very happy to have chosen to be a part of your community and I hope I enjoy and gathered informative information. Hopefully I learn something about them. I hope to become friends with you guys and have a nice day.
Allan
If you do not conquer self, you will be conquered by self.
"Napoleon Hill"

Offline RobEE

• Contributor
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #1526 on: August 28, 2014, 10:33:30 pm »
Hello all,
My name is Robert. I spent some time in the US Air Force as am avionics technician doing maintenance and repair of aircraft communication, navigation and radar systems. Now I am going to school to be an EE.

Offline urlkrueger

• Contributor
« Reply #1527 on: August 29, 2014, 02:55:16 am »
Hello everybody.

When I was a kid I used to go to the local dump and bring home old radio's and eventually TV's when they became available and take them apart.  I learned a lot about what the various parts were and how they worked but I never did understand how to put them together to do anything interesting. 

Later I was trained by the U.S. Navy as an electronics tech and got to work on early digital and analog computers.  At that time a quad nand gate was a 3" X 4" PCB with a bunch of discrete transistors, resistors and capacitors to implement the logic function.  Later I got into the software side of things writing device drivers and such for mini and micro computers where the most complex chip was an adder and then later still into system administration.  The last big chunk of time in my working life was spent keeping your cell phone working.  (Yay !!!  No more on-call, no more all night conversions.)

Now that I can sit back on my duff and do most whatever I want, as long as it doesn't cost too much money, I am back to trying to figure out how to glue all those different electronic components into circuits that will do interesting things.  In other words, I want to know what you EE's know without doing the whole expensive college thing.  So get ready because I'm hoping you'll be able to help me along, and I promise I'll do my homework first before I bug you.  And don't worry, I'm certainly definitely not after your job.

Thanks in advance.

url
( or as my mother spelled it "Earl" )

Offline sm5uiu

« Reply #1528 on: August 29, 2014, 06:23:13 pm »
Sam from Sweden. Ham radio operator and avionics tech.

Thank you all !...

Unlocked a Rigol 815-TG (spec ana to include all options)
Unlocked a Rigol DS2072A-S (from 70 to 300MHz incl all options)

Have to say that my work Tektronix 200MHz/2GS looks old fashioned compared to the Rigol (and cost almoast double the Rigol)
(To Rigol techs - I proboably wouldnt have bought any of these units if it wasnt for the unlock posibilities. Now Im so pleased that Im thinking of replacing my old Fluke 45 bench multimeter for a Rigol... but guess no unlocks there)

Unlocked a Flir i3 from 60x60 to 120x120 pixels (same as Flir i7)

What comes next.. (perahaps start using the equipment instead   ;) 

Offline CT Special Forces

« Reply #1529 on: August 30, 2014, 12:59:49 pm »
Hello there,
a lurker
also found myself here via Dave's ranting, (great accent)
and tech knowledge
my cheapie dmm has gone haywire (after several years mind you) so I picked up an 'ol fluke 77
and am wanting to get time to repair a bunch of stuff
which I will hopefully be able to post up in the repair section

I would like to say thanks for all your advice and suggestions, especially
for those of us who are technically illiterate....
Your skills make your more qualified than anyone else for this mission

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1530 on: September 07, 2014, 11:44:41 pm »
Ziggy here.

Live and work in Brisbane. Run a small PCB prototyping service making single double and multilayer boards.

Also of late offer SMD pick and place assembly service.

I have been out on my own for the past 20 odd years.

Area of interest:  maintaining unity of body and soul.

Offline unbiased

• Contributor
« Reply #1531 on: September 09, 2014, 12:02:53 am »
Hello, I just joined this very nice, informative and fun forum after lurking around the multimeter test equipment threads for a few days.  I am a gadgets and electronics freak like most of the members (I am guessing), and I only stumbled upon this nice forum because I recently got the itch to get a new multimeter.  I have many old analog meters and an old Fluke DMM from the 1990's.  I seemed to have lost that old Fluke DMM buried in the mess of my house somewhere, so I decided to get a new one.  Well that led me into doing the research for the best bang for the buck if not the best DMM that I can get and not empty my wallet.  I found and watched the many nice informative and entertaining videos on the internet which ultimately led me to these forums.  So here I am.  I am very knowledgeable in electronics and repair and refurbish vintage Hi-Fi Stereo equipment (tube and solid state) and speaker systems in my spare time as a hobby.  So a really nice meter like the Brymen BM869 caught my attention and I just went ahead and ordered one based on the high raves from the many on this forum.  I thank Dave and all that make this forum so informative and the fun to watch videos. I am glad to join and be part of it!
I am from and in the NYC area, USA.

Update: I might add that I have been attracted to electricity and electronics since I was about 11 years young from the first time I got shocked by the electrical 120VAC current playing around with an AC electrical socket and then moving on into my ventures of Hi-Fi stereo sound and equipment.  I used to pick up old TV set chassis and speakers off the street in NYC when I found them thrown out and in junk yards! I would bring them home and start tinkering and taking them apart, learning electronics. Later I enlisted and served 8 years in the U.S. Navy where I was trained thoroughly in electronics and worked on all sorts of Digital and Analog equipment from radios, multiplexers, test equipment, teletype to a full blown Univac computer system with old fashioned MIST cards!  Those were the fun days! I received my FCC 1st Class Radiotelephone license back in 1980 while serving a tour of duty on Guam. I went on after the Navy to work for IBM for 19 years where I honed my software development programming skills, then at AT&T as a senior software engineer, District manager. Bad times laid a lot of us senior paid individuals off and I wound up for a stint as Director of IT Programmimg at NYC, HHC for 2 years, then got called back to work as a consulting contractor to AT&T again doing software development stuff where I am now.  I still dabble in electronics every now and then, mostly audio Hi-Fi related.  I have a BS degree in Mathematics with Computer Specialization and a MS Degree in Telecommunications. That's my extremely summarized background.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:49:59 pm by unbiased »
You don't know what you don't know until you know it.

Offline holmsn

« Reply #1532 on: September 10, 2014, 08:42:00 pm »
Hi,after seeing Dave's many inimitable tear downs on YouTube , latterly the one for the Keithly 2015 meter which I only recently realised had the DSP for distortion measurement, I decided to join his blog board to share ideas with like minded people.
I am a retired UK broadcast transmitter engineer, which occupied me quite enjoyably for 35+ years but after retirement when I thought I'd forget about technical matters for a few years you soon miss doing electronics hands-on, so more recently I've been playing with Raspberry Pi and the like also my old hobby of DIY audio. At the moment I have a slightly sick Keithly 2015 probably 20 years old which I think needs refurbishment of its power supply electrolytics thanks to this board I found a link to a limited Service Manual rather than an operation guide

Offline Spilly

« Reply #1533 on: September 20, 2014, 01:23:46 pm »
Hello, I'm Ryan from the middle of nowhere in North Carolina (Merica).

I am a current Electrical and Computer Engineering Technology student.  I enjoy spending my time working on electronics and programming projects.  Dave's tutorials brought me to his channel and I have been hooked ever since!

Offline janengelbrecht

• Regular Contributor
    • JP-Electronics
« Reply #1534 on: September 22, 2014, 12:33:23 am »
Hey - I´m a Dane.....Electronics ENgineer from University of Aarhus (Denmark).
I´ve been into electronics since 1980. I work at: jpelectronics.eu and [url=http://jpwebdesign.eu]http://jpwebdesign.eu[/url]
What else to say ? I´m a musician so of course all electronics related to making and producing music has my interest :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 12:43:06 am by janengelbrecht »

Offline JayTheGent

« Reply #1535 on: September 25, 2014, 03:08:10 am »
Hi all.  I'm James.  I study computer and electrical engineering.  I am in my fourth year of a five year program. 

Offline digitalnomadjc

• Contributor
« Reply #1536 on: September 26, 2014, 02:10:18 am »
Hi, I'm Justin. I've been an electronics enthusiast for about 3 years and work on it in my spare time. My day job is working as an IT Consultant. My main electronics interests are things that work on IP networks and agriculture related systems.

Offline YD2WPE

« Reply #1537 on: September 26, 2014, 04:37:11 pm »
HI.,.my name is eko pramono with callsign is YD2WPE,..i'm abegineer at direct finding,..maybe oll my friends can share the knowledge about direct finding..best regards from indonesia

Offline kuku175

« Reply #1538 on: September 26, 2014, 07:28:22 pm »
Hello, i'm A-P from finland. In day to day work for industrial applications, mainly SW/HW desing but from time to time also manufacturing and servicing.

Meany years been about to join the forums, finaly today realised that almost four years has passed since first time that i looked Dave's video blog and three years that i'm been reading the forums. So finally registred today.  :)   

Offline volthaus

• DIY
    • Volthaus Lab
Re: HOWDY! New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #1539 on: October 05, 2014, 07:34:01 pm »
Howdy all ya'll wire-heads! I'm in Texas making smoke and telling jokes. I been frying components (  :-DD ) since I was a little kid with my 130-In-1 Radio Shack project box.  It's great to be here and I'm looking forward to tons of fun.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 07:36:33 pm by volthaus »
Let's make it work.. And never give up.

Offline dogcatdog

« Reply #1540 on: October 06, 2014, 05:31:47 am »
Hello from NY, been a lurker, just recently restarting my electronic project hobbies......

Offline mrbook

« Reply #1541 on: October 07, 2014, 03:50:23 pm »
Hello,

I am just getting back into EE as a hobby after a 10 year hiatus.  Sad I sold most of my gear through the years (I do still have my trusty Fluke 12) but now I get to buy new stuff.

I am a software developer by trade (mainly C/C++/C#) and primarily work in the industrial automation area.

Been in to electronics and computers since I was a kid and really enjoy them.  My hobbies now a days are spending time with family, electronics, HAM radio and various other things.

Anyways I just want to stop by and say hello.

mrbook   

Offline engywook

« Reply #1542 on: October 10, 2014, 06:01:51 am »
Hi,

I am a hobby fan, in the remote control vehicles type (cars, planes, multi-rotor, ... starting the FPV path). I use electronics all the time, and I come here to get some tips on technique and tools to help me.

I am from Belgium (Europe) and work as a software developer.

Nicolas

Offline volthaus

• DIY
    • Volthaus Lab
« Reply #1543 on: October 10, 2014, 11:13:46 am »
I forgot to mention my primary passion is solar power. I would love to see the people of the world stop being petroleum junkies! If anyone is into it as well and could use a hand with any projects let me know! :-+
Let's make it work.. And never give up.

Offline valvedude

• Contributor
« Reply #1544 on: October 11, 2014, 06:35:45 am »
hi i am Ian i am 38 years old i live in Dulwich Hill Sydney
i works as an electronics technician in Ashfield Sydney Australia
i have all ways been interested in electronics since time i could read walk and talk hahahahah
at my work i work on domestic and professional electronics
i have a lab in my dining room were i build and fix electronic equipment
i love working on valve gear i have tough my self by reading old valve radio and electronic data books and practising and studying on equipment
i enjoy build valve guitar amps and valve preamps for a hobby

just a tech who is addicted to electronics what more can i say so much fun nothing better then a challenge find a fault in a piece of an electronic equipment

Offline Ranchu

« Reply #1545 on: October 13, 2014, 08:58:43 pm »
Hi everyone

My name is Christian from Brisbane, Australia.  I have an interest in analogue electronics, and I'm currently fairly active on the DIYAUDIO forum.

While doing research for a new 'scope I came across some of David Jones' crazy video reviews, which has led me to this forum.

cheers

Offline a_vlad

« Reply #1546 on: October 14, 2014, 02:16:14 am »
Hi All,

Vladimir, Auckland, New Zealand

IT professional, graduated Electric Engineer, Masters in IM
hobby - diving, sailing, embedded electronics, navigation equipment, radio

Offline KG7AMV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rhine_Labs
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #1547 on: October 17, 2014, 01:20:22 am »
I am Steven Ex-EE out of practice for about 10-12 years Relearning and making it a hobby!

Offline asteroidz

« Reply #1548 on: October 17, 2014, 08:05:43 am »
Hi,
I am Liming. I have been working on RF electronics and PCBs for a few years. Nice to meet everyone.

Offline uridium

« Reply #1549 on: October 19, 2014, 12:45:22 am »
Hi I'm Al.

New hobbyist. Mostly repairing old DEC computers and other silly stuff. Have built a couple of 8bit homebrew computes and am having a ball learning! :)

Best Wishes,

Al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf