Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1446179 times)

Offline timothyaag

• Contributor
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #2150 on: December 28, 2016, 12:45:49 am »
My name's Tim. I'm a software engineer professionally but I've always played around with electronics. Now that my life has settled down I've started doing more and more with electronics. I'm pretty good when it comes to the logic side of things, but my knowledge of the electrical side is beginner at best. I'm here to learn.

Offline cabbage

« Reply #2151 on: December 30, 2016, 03:34:23 am »
Hello All,
            I feel out of my depth here.  I messed about with electronics as a kid and I have always attempted to repair things when they break. I am happy to have a go at anything from SMD electronics to ground works. This attitude means that now I am in my 30's  I am an amateur at lots of skills and competent in none.
 I don't have all the gear, nor can I afford it.

I find myself here because the two blokes that I used to discuss electronics problems with have both died in the past year. Sometimes you need another brain on a problem. This is what I hope to get from the forum.

I found the forum through youtube. I enjoy Dave's videos and Mikeselecticstuff's and Bigclive's

Offline rcairman

« Reply #2152 on: December 30, 2016, 10:44:47 am »
Hello,

I'm an electronics engineer from Poland with experience in robotics and UAVs. I started my professional work with ground robots (hardware and low-level software), mainly for professional and military use. After two years I decided to combine flying (I have been building and flying RC planes since I was a kid) with robotics and moved towards UAVs, where I spent 5 years leading a team of engineers in a startup company (hardware, software, mechanics). Recently I put UAVs on the side and joined a medical company, where I manage R&D and mass production of a medical device (hardware, software, mechanics, DFMs, certification, mass production). I decided to keep UAVs as a hobby and a side-job, I have a few interesting projects on my desk that are waiting to be completed.

I have been following EEVblog for quite some time now (I believe I first came across Dave 5-6 years ago, when I tried to find some info on DS1052 oscilloscope) and I am a big fan. I learned a lot from Dave, I also introduced EEVblog to a few of my friends. Despite constant lack of free time, I am doing my best to keep up with recent episodes.

Regards
Jakub
Regards
Jakub

Offline obrien

• Contributor
« Reply #2153 on: December 30, 2016, 06:56:01 pm »
Hi,

I am an embedded SW developer - or I used to be until I moved to management position.

Since I do not get to play with bits and bytes anymore at work, I come back to my roots and started playing with it at home. I specialize on Smart Cards, SW security (especially in embedded systems), cryptography, SW countermeasures etc. But my education background is in EE and Cybernetics.. 

I am looking forward to learn a lot form y'all pure HW guys!

Cheers,

Jan

Offline Inflex

• Regular Contributor
    • Charters Towers Phone & Computer Repairs
« Reply #2154 on: December 31, 2016, 03:52:41 am »
After being asked many times over if I knew of Dave Jones as a fellow Australian, I finally had to go and find out.

Currently doing all manner of design and repairs up in North QLD depending on the demand of the day.

Some of you might have already encountered some of my work in the form of OpenBoardView  :-+

Hope to provide some constructive/positive contributions to the forum.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 04:38:03 am by Inflex »
Magicsmoke abuser | What I repair daily on YouTube | FlexBV
- BoardView
| Paul Daniels

Offline ^_^

• Regular Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #2155 on: December 31, 2016, 10:25:51 am »
Mikolaj from Poland here,

I've been following EEVBlog on yt since my M.Sc. studies, and finally after about 2 years the time has come to sign in on the forum :)
My main interest lies in embedded electronics (MCUs) and digital hardware, but so far in my professional career I've been doing everything from PCB design, analog circuits to simulations, PC software, and then my beloved digital MCUs, circuits, and more complex embedded systems (like BeagleBone and RPi).
However, I'm young, so this experience had me at different levels of the design ladder, which I think gives the best opportunities to grow.

Did many homemade projects during my studies and I'm still trying to, but as most of people here, still fighting the time constrains ;)
Life's hard when you are creative and have hundreds of ideas per second  :-DD

Wishing you all the best!

Peace,
Mikolaj

Offline bgadfly

« Reply #2156 on: January 07, 2017, 04:57:40 pm »
Hi fellow electronics enthusiasts! My name is Cato and I'm from Norway :)

I have been an avid viewer of Daves videos for quite some time now, and I am what most people would consider an electronics newbie. I work as a software developer specializing in backend C-development, but have previously mostly C#/.NET development experience. I have been lurking on this forum for a while and always contemplated opening an account. Unforunately, the reason that made me decide to open an account at this point was that I got my hands on a couple of oscilloscopes someone here might be interested in (sorry, wish I opened the account for the technical discussions!).

Looking forward to learning a lot from you guys!

Cheers!  :)

Offline Highvoltagefox

« Reply #2157 on: January 11, 2017, 12:15:36 am »
Hi from new Mexico!

I'm a nuclear engineering student that is leaning into the focus of detection. I hope to absorb everything you guys have to teach so I can help build evermore complex radiological detection and imaging equipment.

Offline tkuhmone

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2158 on: January 11, 2017, 06:02:43 pm »
Hello from Finland...

Happy to join the forum :) I do have some background on electronics hobby, from last 20...30 years. Sometimes my hobby is more active, other times its been on the background - but not forgotten  :)

Currently planning to setup my own small scale electronics "testpoint". Bought already Twintex TFG-3620E generator. Need to examine it more, since some strange behaviour on it was seen... (I will later write here a thread of it). Oscilloscope and dual/triple output power supply are next items on the list.

I do have work backgound on telecomm area, mostly at mobile networks (GSM, 3G, LTE). Nowadays I try to activate my electronics hobby by getting to understand and program Arduino board. I have one project in my mind - where I could implement it. My other hobbies outside of electonics are:
-astronomy (remote meteor cameras in use, couple of other projects)
-amateur radio activity, OH7HMS (remote station setup ongoing)
-cycling (road cycling, touring cycling)
-woodworking (lathe etc.)

-Timo K., OH7HMS
Timo, OH7HMS

Offline atflake

« Reply #2159 on: January 11, 2017, 06:39:27 pm »
Hello,
I stumbled across this form doing some internet research at work. My back ground has mainly been in the defense arena. I started my career as EOD tech in the US Airforce. That was my first real experience with electrical stuff ohm's law, learning how to disarm IED's, working up blasting circuits, and the occasional effort to shock my coworkers with the blasting machine  ;). During that time I earned my EET degree from DeVry. After my short stent in the military I have worked for General Dynamics building armor vehicles for 15 years and now work at Northrop Grumman. Have some experience in various areas of the industry such as electronics integration, robots, and cyber security. Enjoy working for DOD despite the fact that they take forever to get things done and they cost twice as much as the should. After 20+ years in this industry I have learned I can't fix that, but I can come to work every day and try to keep our troops safer by ensuring our designs are as current as possible and survivable in a wartime environment.

Hobbies:
Fixing stuff (just about anything)
CNC Machining
Archery
Hunting/Fishing
Electric Guitar

-atflake

Offline minifloat

• Contributor
  • loss of precision
« Reply #2160 on: January 14, 2017, 03:00:08 am »
Hi there.
I have a degree in electrical engineering and computer science. For more than four years now I am working in the Electrical engineering and embedded systems field, mainly high-reliability stuff as automotive (right now I'm doing embedded software) and industrial electronics.

Reading my dad's electronics magazines when I was a kid gave me a lot of passive knowledge, tinkering with electronics gave me the feel, how electric and electronic circuits work. A lot of family members are involved and interested in engineering and technical stuff. These two points made me chosing an engineering career.

My Hobbies are... electronics (who would've guessed ;D ), event engineering (mainly sound mixing), reading books and magazines, listening to and making music, collecting electrical lab equipment, riding snowboard.

/minfloat

Offline hankapotomus

« Reply #2161 on: January 14, 2017, 04:34:33 pm »
Hello! I'm in the US, just getting back into electronics as a hobby after many, many years. I'm in mechanical design career-wise, but it can't hurt to have at least some rudimentary electrical knowledge with that.

I came to forum by way of the EEVBlog YouTube page, which I've been enjoying for several years, now.

Offline alayn91

« Reply #2162 on: January 14, 2017, 04:57:38 pm »
Hello, I am Alayn91, from France, near Orly airport.
I'm now retired.
Before, I have been working for CIT-Alcatel, in their Labs and Custom IC, and after that for HP, in their T&M dept.
Now, I like to restaure et fix audio vintage boxes.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 09:43:44 am by alayn91 »

Offline Saronni

• Contributor
« Reply #2163 on: January 15, 2017, 06:13:50 am »
Hi, I'm James from Australia. Dave's youtube channel and forum has rekindled my interest in electronics!

Offline Terrius

• Contributor
    • Tinkering with Terrius
« Reply #2164 on: January 16, 2017, 07:39:42 pm »
Hello,

Wow I feel a bit out of place here, I was introduced to EEVblog by a family member via youtube. I find Dave's videos very interesting and after a few months of binge watching decided I should join the forums!

I am an newbie electronics hobbyist, I've always enjoyed figuring out how things work and Dave's videos along with a couple other youtubers inspired me to learn more about electronics! I don't really have any fancy equipment right now but I try to make do with what I've got. At the moment I'm mostly focused on learning how to program arduinos.

Offline LiamS

« Reply #2165 on: January 18, 2017, 03:59:14 pm »
Liam here.
I've been experimenting with electronics and programming for years. I'm in 1st year engineering at McMaster University. Currently working on an electronic musical instrument that uses electromagnets to resonate steel strings.

Offline Mattjd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2166 on: January 20, 2017, 05:13:10 pm »
Hello my name is Matt and I am an ECE student. I originally found Eevblog when researching the Rigol 1054z, saw the youtube video. Yeah, I initially came here for the membership discount. Not proud of it, but I have come to find a use of this forum.

Truth be told I really like mathematics more than anything. However, I do not believe that I could make the degree profitable so I am shooting for ECE. I am unsure of what I want to specialize in. I am leaning towards something with RF or signal processing, but I have a while to go to choose. For the most of my academic career I have been an atypical student. I was a real jerk off in highschool, purposely failing out of my honors classes. I paid the price when it came to college. I initially was not going to go to college. Wanted to be a tradesmen, mom talked me into at least getting an associates. Well, that turned into me getting an ASS in mathematics and wanting to be an engineer. I've worked 30 hrs plus for the majority of it. Needless to say, that caused community college to take a while. Now I am 24 years old and am only a sophmore in my engineering degree.

Most of my jobs so far have been in warehousing, distribution centers really (there is a difference). Did a few temp gigs at a Subaru warehouse, they were relocating and needed a night shift to consolidate. At a restaurant supplies distribution center I worked as a floor hand for multiple summers. I've also been a dock worker and dispatcher for a transportation company. For the most part I've been bouncing around warehouses/distribution centers depending on the season. My last job was an assistant manager position for a distribution center. I operated the software for all the data processing during the outbound operations, I have a great deal of knowledge of SAP's warehouse, inventory, and material modules. Other than those jobs I have been an on call farm hand of sorts. Really only helping when the farmer didn't feel like doing some kind of crap work.

I do have interest in computers, I have built quite a few. So I am familiar with computer components.

I was planned on working through my engineering degree. The way I set up my ASS was to get take everything but my engineering classes, and I did just that. If I worked at night at my last job (the assistant management), I would have been taking 7-12 credits a semester for 3 years. Seemed like a good idea. However, scheduling conflicts happen. The college of engineering at my university is on the smaller side. Its a good college,but its new and smaller. All labs are at night. They couldn't work with me. Now I am taking out loans for as if I lived on campus to pay for my living expenses. Dangerous, but I think of it as motivation to not fuck around.

Engineering classes I have taken so far

Introduction to Digital Systems (primary focus here was programming FPGA's with the subjects we learned)
Principles of Electrical Circuit Analysis.

Currently taking
Computer Architecture
Electronics I

Other classes taking this semester
Data Structures
Complex Analysis
Electricity and Magnetism (the one after intro)

The bright side of not having to work, and having so few classes to take. I get to double in math as I complete my ECE degree.

In conclusion I really plan on using this forum as a means to an end. Someone is paying me back about $2000 they owe me and I am setting up a home lab to become proficient in electronics. I will be using this forum to supplement my "hands on" learning.

thanks and nice to meet you all.

Offline PMOS

« Reply #2167 on: January 22, 2017, 01:51:24 am »
I'm PMOS.

I'm an embedded developer with a computer science & Physics background.

I know high-level digital design, and know very low-level "how does a transistor work" sorts of things, but not as much in between as I'd like, and am hoping to rectify that.

Offline turfyman

« Reply #2168 on: January 25, 2017, 08:55:26 pm »
Hi,

I'm Tom. A young computer engineer with a passion for electronics and software. I like spending my nights and weekends writing code and building things.

Offline switchedmodepsu

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2169 on: January 25, 2017, 11:48:25 pm »
Hello,

I am an (almost) 42 year old electron - I've done quite a bit of bouncing around in my life, and I am still bouncing... and tonight I decided to bounce around here for a while, before shooting back down some copper and into a few diodes.

Offline mitchty

• User info not found, replace user and try again.
« Reply #2170 on: January 29, 2017, 02:36:08 am »
Hi all, Mitch, I'm a programmer from the midwest in the USA. Found out about all this jazz by watching Dave's video of a the apple wall wart adapter, decided it was time to get back into the more hardware side of stuff as it seemed fun.

Cheers!

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2171 on: January 29, 2017, 11:39:54 am »
58 yo retired.  Been out of electronics mostly for 30 years or so.  Decided to brush up on it since I have designed and built a industrial control for a milling machine and needed to verify the operation.    So, of course I've decided to go whole hog.  Bought a couple of scopes, meter, PSU's, and generators and a bunch of spaghetti and connectors for it all.    Bough a arduino start kit for fun and somewhere to get back.   I Just read up on some of the latest in FPGA's.   Wow.  They have come a long way.   They were basically in their infancy when I stopped working with electronics.   A Brave New World...
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline 5n44p

• Contributor
« Reply #2172 on: January 31, 2017, 10:35:08 pm »
Hello everyone,
i'm Valerio, currently i'm a student in electronics engineering (1st year) in Politecnico di Milano, in Italy

Offline jamie297

• Contributor
  • 'Mature' grad engineer
« Reply #2173 on: February 01, 2017, 07:19:08 am »
Hi All,
Working in industrial elec. maintenance by day - studying for electronic systems engineering degree by night - dismantling gadgets in between!  :box:
Interested in pretty much everything on the spectrum between computer science and power electrics!
Long time lurker on the forums

Offline Falney

« Reply #2174 on: February 05, 2017, 08:48:54 am »
Hola.

I am Ken from the UK and I have one of those cut and paste childhoods I am pretty sure 90%+ of the people here have had, taking things apart to see how they work much to the frustrations of their parents.
Though I am now only really starting EE as a hobby 25 years later. No idea why it took so long. Professionally though I am an out of work software engineer with C and C++ under my belt. (Not much of that work around these parts) 

I am jumping into the deep end though. I have looked at a lot of the "Beginners projects" and thought that "Making an LED blink is a bit lame" So I have done a tonne of research and ordered a metric tonne of parts and once everything is here I will be building from scratch my first power supply, soldering and rework stations.

Well. If you don't hear from me in 3 months time you will know I blew something up, most likely me.

Now I just need to find El-cheapo oscilloscope.

Ken

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf