Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1430325 times)

Offline ken246810

Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #2675 on: February 05, 2020, 12:21:26 am »
I just registered today after a good while visiting the forum.
I am An electronics engineer I am in Scotland UK.

I have a decent electronics setup at home and at work, but my home setup is better than at work  :-DD

I recently got hold of a BK pvs10005 nice and cheap BUT BROKEN, it was an easy fix, it is a very interesting PSU.
at the moment I am hunting for a nice bench multimeter maybe dmm6500 or 34465a and I have spent a while reading up on them here

Offline Vizmiz

« Reply #2676 on: February 05, 2020, 01:58:39 pm »
Hello everyone, Feel free to call me John.
Electronics has always been interesting to me so I have decided to take the plunge and start learning it. Also trying to do it on as small a budget as I can by reusing materials that I have saved from the trash.

For now I am collecting what I can and setting up my little desktop lab.
    My power supply for 12 and 5v is from a salvaged computer PSU.
    Because of where I am getting my parts from I have ordered one of those component testers from Amazon.
    The multi-meter is a harbor freight special (Yes, I do plan to upgrade.)
    The soldering iron melts solder. (Not sure what more I can expect from it)
    Will be getting an oscilloscope when the opportunity comes up (looking into one of those pocket oscilloscope from Amazon)

Open to any advice seeing as how I'm really just making this all up as I go along and trying not to cook myself in the process.

Offline Szumi

• Contributor
« Reply #2677 on: February 05, 2020, 10:29:23 pm »
Played with electronics when I was a kid.  Spent four years in the USMC at the organizational level repairing radars in F4-j's back in the 70's. 
I've done a bit of relay logic back before PLC's.  Learned enough about PLC's to replace a bunch of forming press controls after a 1/2 day training session on the AB SLC500.

I currently work as a maintenance tech in a manufacturing facility that has robotics, cnc's, and plc based motion systems.  I'm pretty fair at general maintenance machining and troubleshooting automation.  Implemented some work cells using fanuc robots back when you programmed them in Karel.    Wrote programs in Clipper for the accounting and  manufacturing side back in the day.  I've had the chance to play with tech because I was the only one around at the time that understood it in the past.

I like photography, astronomy, and all things firearm related.

I ordered a Siglent SDS1104X-E yesterday.  Didn't care for the 5% price jump between yesterday morning and last night. 

I'm planning on getting a bit more into electronics than I have in the past.  Something to do to keep my mind active when I retire.

Offline lqqkout

• Supporter
« Reply #2678 on: February 14, 2020, 06:49:16 pm »
Hi! I'm James, a long-time lurker and recent Patreon supporter - I'm mostly posting so that I don't get purged with other zero-post accounts.

I've taken apart electronics since I was a kid, failed at learning from an EE educational kit in middle school, and revisited the topic throughout my studies and career in IT. My background is data security and computer science and I'm currently a full-time "homeschool hacker dad" which has given me a lot more time to learn all of the EE topics I missed out on.

My most recent re-introduction to electronics came through the #badgelife community at Defcon and I've been respinning old badges, deciphering schematics, building BOM's, etc. My "Badgedolier" project was featured on Hackaday https://hackaday.com/2019/08/17/nfc-business-cards-to-fpga-cubes-skull-badges-to-bandoliers-heres-the-hardware-from-breakfast-at-def-con/

I'm excited to see the topics roll by and who knows, maybe I'll eventually have something more to contribute!

Cheers!

Offline smorriso3

« Reply #2679 on: February 15, 2020, 06:04:06 am »
Hello, I am Steve. I'm an engineering student who is currently living in the Seattle area. I'm finishing my senior year in Electrical Engineering and right now, besides trying to pass my classes, I'm trying to find an internship. I'm in a fairly unusual position - I want to get as far away from the United States as possible. I'm a triple citizen - US, UK, Canada, though the UK one is in a bit a a flux now with the bullshit that is Brexit. Growing up I completed primary and secondary school in the USA, UK (Glasgow), and AUS (Townsville). To be frank - I would love to move back to the UK/AUS in a year to pursue an EE career if I could only find a serious offer for a company willing to take me. Obviously I'm pursuing good leads in the USA because there are great jobs here but I want to relocate. I'm a driving force in my regional IEEE student chapter with many offers at local public utility companies but I'm looking to get out of here! I'd seriously consider anybody in Sydney or elsewhere (UK, Canada, ???) that would like to initiate a conversation.

Academically - I'm finishing a second Bachelor's degree in Electrical engineering this year. I'm 35 and finished a management degree in 2008, in Hotel and restaurant management. Spent ten years working in kitchens. I'm a great cook but now I really have an edge above my fellow EE students as far as teamwork and management. I'm heavily engaged in mentorship and encouraging underclassmen/women to get engaged with organizations like IEEE.

Sounds too much like a coverletter! But thats me!

Offline bobtiki

« Reply #2680 on: February 16, 2020, 08:32:02 pm »
Hello,

My name is Mark Boszko, and I'm … a tinkerer, I guess? I learned some electronics from the Forrest M. Mims book as Radio Shack when I was a kid, and I've kinda stumbled my way through learning what I need to know to do various projects over the years, as I try to learn animatronics, LED animation, smoke generation, etc., usually in service to a themed environment, film, theatre, home automation, or cosplay project. Arduinos and Raspberry Pis often play a large part.

I also have recently started repairing and hacking old synthesizers and game boys for some fun music projects.

Cheers!
Mark

Offline michalwu

« Reply #2681 on: February 20, 2020, 01:56:27 pm »
Hi there
Name's Mike.
I have been tinkering all my life. Last 10 years gone with kids and kinda normal life. Now want to go back to my passion.
Not active ham, 3d printing enthusiast, RF and radio lover.

Offline Polym0rphed

« Reply #2682 on: February 22, 2020, 02:44:36 am »
Greetings and salutations! Hailing from Melbourne, Australia, I am completely new to electronics (and STEM subjects in general). Unfortunately (in retrospect), I managed to get through the entirety of my schooling without really ever learning math properly (I did almost everything in my head [my own way]), so I'm finding that side of this mysterious new realm quite overwhelming.

I found my way here via a YouTube journey - Dave makes sitting through any topic entertaining and sometimes even if I don't learn anything, I still consider it time well spent! Absolute legend!

I've heard good things about the book Practical Electronics for Inventors, which I may procure as soon as I'm out of financial hardship (neck injury).

I'm almost 100% interested in applying what I learn to Professional Audio (if not for some consumer/prosumer audiophile exceptions).

I appreciate that there are a lot of fundamental that are unavoidably paramount and that some of these, if not all, will be more general in nature. I'm definitely more of a 'concept first, "the how" later' kind of learner.

• Which web-based circuit designers/simulators would I find the most intuitive (and pro audio focused, if possible)?
  • Are there any hobby groups, clubs, regular catch-ups etc. anyone might be aware of in Melbourne (Eastern suburbs is home base) where I might learn from the experience of others?

Cheers!

Offline angrybird

• Regular Contributor
  • !
  • I have a particular fascination with birds.
« Reply #2683 on: February 26, 2020, 07:17:06 pm »
I like birdwatching.

I move around a lot.

Puerto Rico is a little too humid for me.

I once saw two squirrels fighting in a tree; both fell at the same time, and continued the fight in midair and continued it on the ground after they landed with an amazing THWACK.  Since this time, I have always avoided confrontations with squirrels whenever possible.
THE CAKE IS A LIE AND THESE NUTHATCH ARE WAY TOO DISTRACTING

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2684 on: March 24, 2020, 11:40:07 am »
This is probably a bit late but stuck at home with nothing to do.    I'm an old fart automation technician that had a bit of interest in electronics in my youth but only sparsely apply that knowledge to work these days.    Thus half my interest here is to find all those old memory cells.

Offline Simon_RL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2685 on: March 25, 2020, 06:33:43 pm »
Hi All,
I am a relative newb to electronics, although I do a cert 4 when I first left school, but that is so long ago I barely remember anything.

My background is IT both project and operations and I have solid programming knowledge in C/C++.

I have gotten into electronics through my other hobby Astronomy/Astrophotography and a desire to build things for my gear. I find now I have fallen a rabbit hole and am lost in the warren of electronics  :-DD. Having never being accused of doing things by half I find myself diving head long into maths and electronics theory. I have also purchased AOE and am working my way through this fantastic book to gain a more practical perspective of electronics.

Would also like to say a huge thanks to Dave for creating a blog that is such a fantastic resource that is very entertaining. Also this forum is brilliant and am astounded by the level of people’s knowledge and willingness to share information.

Offline datsuncogs

« Reply #2686 on: March 28, 2020, 01:49:35 am »
Hi all, classic car enthusiast here from Sussex UK , i am also interested in electric vehicles, solar power, off grid systems, analogue synthesisers, old tape recorders and other gear that I like to try and rescue. I am better with mechanical restoration , and electrics than I am with electronic circuits and digital stuff. 

I am currently trying to reset a DJI drone battery that has shut itself down. Hope to find some answers here.

Offline toby10ant

« Reply #2687 on: April 02, 2020, 03:05:32 pm »
Hi, My name is Toby, currently work testing transceivers for the Oneweb LEO satellite suppplied by Teledyne.

Looking forward to learning and discovering new things.

Thanks, Toby

Offline gorge441

• Contributor
« Reply #2688 on: April 05, 2020, 05:28:37 am »
Hello! mate
I am from Hessen, Laubach, Germany. I am new here. I expecting to get future support from this community.

Offline spongella

• Contributor
« Reply #2689 on: April 05, 2020, 11:15:22 am »
Hello everyone hope you are all well.  60+ year tinkerer of anything electronic or mechanical, ham op, longwave, mediumwave, shortwave listener, vhf/uhf listener, CB, GMRS, OTA, FTA, radio restoration, alignment, test gear, free-lance writer. Had more radios than socks.  Glad to be here with all those with similar interests. This is one great site from all the posts I've read.

Offline ocom

« Reply #2690 on: April 07, 2020, 04:51:39 am »
Hi all,

I introduce myself, Yohan, 30 years since today, I live in France :) I am the manager of a company specialized in the field of radios and telecommunications. The radio world has fascinated me since my adolescence;). It's been a long time since I read your messages on the forum but I never signed up, it's done now.

thank you

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Regular Contributor
  • Rainer DG1SMD JN48ts
« Reply #2691 on: April 07, 2020, 03:51:10 pm »
New member here: Rainer, keeping the solder flowing for 50 years, 33 of them as a design engineer, and over 25 years as a ham (DG1SMD).
My job is about mixed signal and embedded systems, EMC and standards organisations (DIN, IEC).

My main interests are ham radio (esp antenna building), restoring and using old measurement equipment and computers, audio recording and generally analyzing and repairing stuff.

Greetings,

Rainer

Offline GilgaFrank

• GilgaFrank dot com
« Reply #2692 on: April 08, 2020, 06:26:21 pm »
Hello EEVFolk, greetings from sunny Stockport in the UK. Followed Dave on Youtube for ages so I thought I should sign up for the lively discussion on the forum here. I like audio synthesis, DSP stuff, vacuum tube stuff, late nights spent staring at an IDE with a can of energy drink and the music of Motorhead. That's Lemmy, Phil and Eddie Motorhead, not the Motorhead tribute acts Lemmy organised after Eddie left.

Offline 6h8c

• Contributor
  • Analog system
« Reply #2693 on: April 12, 2020, 01:00:42 pm »
Hi. My name is Olek. In my free time I repair old systems. I mainly concern myself with old tube audio-video-TV gear.
I lack the space for what I have already accumulated and I guess I'll never stop buying.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 05:27:06 pm by 6h8c »
Don't tell my wife how much this fun costs ... I want to live to build.

Offline 3DA502

« Reply #2694 on: April 13, 2020, 06:06:33 am »
 :) hello everyone ,I am a Chinese engerneer

Offline jmh

• Contributor
« Reply #2695 on: April 13, 2020, 09:57:43 am »
Hello all

I’ve fiddled with electronics my whole life since taking a valve to school and lighting the filament from a Lego battery box when I was about 6. My grandfather sparked my interest by explaining the difference between AC and DC. When I started work in 1977 I worked on the maintenance of x-ray generators and electron microscopes and all sorts of associated equipment, eventually building and programming an 8080-based microcontroller out of chips and wire-wrap to log data from an x-ray diffractometer. Lots of boring stuff happened after that, like getting to fiddle with mainframes, mini computers and early PCs but I left the actual electronics ‘doing’  behind, progressed through the web into law and retired in 2018. So I’m back fiddling, this time mostly around the Raspberry Pi and also building radio stuff. I was always into amateur radio but never licensed until 2017. I spent a few teen years fiddling about with teleprinters, eventually buying, repairing and selling on Creed 7E machines for pocket money while I was at school. I now have a Creed 444 to fix. Also into model railways and DCC, and real railways as I volunteer on a heritage line in S&T. That is a result of my lifelong interest in telegraphy. Funny how things come round. Anyway, enough rambling!

Jeremy

Offline mdkendall

« Reply #2696 on: April 13, 2020, 10:08:36 pm »
Hello everyone, I am Matthew from Vancouver, BC, Canada. I have been registered here for many years but not posted much, mainly lurking. I am an engineer mainly doing product development work, particularly RF.

Offline homepoochie

« Reply #2697 on: April 16, 2020, 01:30:41 pm »
Hi, I'm Poochie from the Philippines, 35 y/o and an Electrical Engineer.

Offline Alphaprot

« Reply #2698 on: April 17, 2020, 05:26:39 pm »
Hey there, I'm Yannik - currently quarantined in Germany (I happen to live here, too). 18yo with interest in electronics engineering (which is 99.5% what I'll study once I finish school). Hobbies include a bit of homelabbing (I'm not really into programming though, I can code, but it's far away from being my favourite activity).

Offline hannobisschoff

• Contributor
  • I get high on solder fumes.
« Reply #2699 on: April 18, 2020, 02:32:34 pm »
Hi guys, Hanno here from South Africa. Junior Electrical engineer and looong time fan of the Eevblog. Cheers!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf