Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1433683 times)

Offline Phil_G

• Regular Contributor
  • G4PHL
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #2800 on: February 23, 2021, 04:09:36 pm »
Hi, newly registered, interests tend to wander but currently retro-computing, on the bench is a SWTPC 6800 clone/reproduction, on the shelf a couple of homebrew SC/MP systems and more 6800 projects, Z80 etc.  Main hobby is on hold through lockdown, which is modern emulation boards used to retrofit vintage radio-control equipment, mostly in PIC assembler, the idea being to safely fly a 50-year-old aeroplane with an appropriate 50-year-old radio. Revisiting your youth is a popular pastime these days  ;)
Cheers
Phil

Offline Renate

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2801 on: February 23, 2021, 08:07:56 pm »
A freaking limey and a fan of SWTPC? :)
I had an MC6802 (with 128 bytes of RAM).
Why would you need any more?

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #2802 on: February 23, 2021, 09:57:08 pm »
A freaking limey and a fan of SWTPC? :)
I had an MC6802 (with 128 bytes of RAM).
Why would you need any more?

Freaking Limeys created 'Murica. :)

Offline Renate

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2803 on: February 24, 2021, 11:50:55 am »
Freaking Limeys created 'Murica. :)
Actually, they just shipped out all their religious loonies. :)

Offline unixb0y

• Contributor
« Reply #2804 on: February 26, 2021, 01:31:00 am »
Hello everyone! :popcorn:
I'm a student from Germany. I am currently doing my Master's degree in IT-Security after having completed my Bachelor in Computer Science a year ago.
Even though we do for the most part software in my studies, I am in my free time very interested in electronics and hardware, so I'm a big fan of Dave from EEVBlog! Long time subscriber...  :)
I've built 3D printers, various custom "IoT" devices based on ESP8266 and tinkered with RF-stuff as well as designed basic PCBs. I also really like putting together custom (DIY) mechanical keyboards.  :-+

Oh, another interest of mine is retro computing. I have a few GameBoys that are the device I kind of grew up with, planning to code something cool for them when I find the time. Also I built myself the amazing "RC2014" (Z80-based computer) and the matching VT132 (VT100-emulating) terminal to control it and hop onto BBSes from time to time :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 01:33:54 am by unixb0y »

Offline Gillandro

« Reply #2805 on: March 01, 2021, 05:49:29 pm »
Hi im simon....i have some minor experience with electronics....ive used multimeters... built soldering kits and a lightsaber from a saber parts seller.

Offline ChemTalk

« Reply #2806 on: March 05, 2021, 04:17:55 pm »
hello, my name is Scott and I enjoy electrochemistry and electrolysis. I also help out with a non-profit called ChemTalk.  It's really great to see the electronics community going strong! hope to learn more here about various electronic devices everyone is using, and if anything chemistry related comes up I'll try to contribute something useful. Nice to meet everyone.
------------------------------------
ChemTalk

Offline Michael YYZ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2807 on: March 14, 2021, 04:14:48 am »
Hello everyone! Recently, I fixed the PA in my subwoofer, which developed a permanent humming noise. After blindly replacing all electrolytic capacitors inside with high-quality components, I realized how nice it would be to have an oscilloscope. Researching the market for one brought me to EEVblog.

I have been an electronics hobbyist since my very long ago childhood years, being lucky to still be alive after the number of times I accidentally electrocuted myself. Now a civil engineer with 35 years of professional experience and a professor, I maintained my hobby in electronics and I enjoy it every so often. I also have a HAM radio licence at the Advanced level. I would venture to assume that there are not many civil engineers here but, if you happen to be one, please do say hello!

I’m very happy to have discovered this community and hope to learn a lot from everybody here. In particular, Dave is commendable for all his vast knowledge and willingness to share it with all of us.

I look forward to enjoying my new friends and my old hobby!...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 04:16:50 am by Michael YYZ »

Offline gtm

• Contributor
« Reply #2808 on: April 03, 2021, 01:46:56 pm »
Hello everyone.
My name is Gabriel, I am a physics student at University (distance learning) and a long time, on and off, self-taught electronics hobbyist. I used to fix broken stuff a long time ago, (analog oscilloscopes mainly), and sell it on the bay. I don't do that anymore.
I am a curious person and I like to understand the "why" of things, not just the "how", even if that involves getting out of my depth occasionally.
Looking forward to continue learning from this forum , and contribute in it if I can.

Offline AmnevaR

• Contributor
« Reply #2809 on: April 09, 2021, 02:03:12 pm »
Hmm...an introduction post...ok.
My name is Andrii, 28. I've been an active forum reader for like 3+ years and an electronics hobbyist for 9+ years :-DD

Worked for 1 year in PCB prototyping factory (small quantity production of multilayer PCBs) and 1 year as SMT machine operator (automatic solder paste printer).
And before that worked for 3 years as a metrology technician (installing and calibrating flowmeters, temperature sensors, etc.)

My fields of interest are electronics, mechanics, 3D printing, CNC control, robotics :-/O

Offline endure

« Reply #2810 on: April 10, 2021, 04:35:03 pm »
Hi all. Name is Richard. Used to be a merchant navy radio officer then moved into IT. Now retired so I thought  I'd start putting ino practice the stuff I was taught years  ago.

Offline Crashpc_CZ

« Reply #2811 on: April 19, 2021, 05:25:56 pm »
Heya! Crashator is here. :-)
Wanted to find some info, ask some questions about Siglent scope which I bought, but before verification, I found out the scope doesn´t have the needed feature. So I will have to make do without it.
Looking for cool stuff, cool people, some geekery, help both ways. Let´s see what we´ve got here. It´s quite roomy here!  :scared:
How about audio? Going to make measurement lab - AES power measurements, already doing TS parameters and comparative frequency response measurements, and will do Large Signal Identification (transducer linearity measurement) using Laser measurements.

Offline OldVolts

• Contributor
« Reply #2812 on: April 20, 2021, 01:43:07 am »
Better late than never, I hope.
Name is Bill Powell
Older than dirt - they were called cycles back when Al Gore and I invented them :-)
Retired from AT&T Labs - THE Labs going on 15 years now.
Last assignment was intrusion suppression and consulting with top 100 customers to perform security audits.
Taught protocols in upper baccalaureate curriculum in AT&T School of Business and Technology
Pioneer in early experiments in what was then called "distance learning"
Started cleaning relays at AT&T Camden
Communications Technician Maintenance - NSGA
Ham Advanced Class license (had to pass a code test in front of a snarling FCC "drill instructor" back then
Was repeater frequency coordinator for Eastern PA and SNJ
Support the local radio club's repeater systems / network
 - Yes - you WILL become busier when you retire.

Offline Crashpc_CZ

« Reply #2813 on: April 20, 2021, 05:22:48 pm »
These forums are so global and evil, they make me cry: "There is almost thousand people better than you". That is my dark view on the global world.  :-DD
Anyways, hope you find what you search for.

Offline Humanoid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2814 on: April 23, 2021, 05:42:56 pm »
Hello!

I joined a few months back, but just saw this thread.

I'm a musician, artist, writer and all-around creative lunatic. Self-taught for the most part and always was a tinkerer—especially once I started working with audio gear and having to figure out how to connect a bunch of equipment together when the internet was still young.

I did some electronics as a kid, but have no real knowledge or skills to speak of. I finally grabbed some tools last year so I could start making my own audio and video cables, repair my own music gear, and maybe start learning to modify or make small devices. I really wish I would have started making my own cables years ago as it's very easy and the quality is superb compared to most garbage they sell in stores.

I've also started refurbishing some old tools and devices, which is proving to be a lot of fun. I still have a long way to go with learning how all the components work and getting all the tools I need (would kill for a power supply right now), but it definitely is worth the investment and is a great break from the insanity of life which I find very relaxing.

So far I'm enjoying this forum. Lots of info and you guys have been very helpful.

See you around.  :-+

Offline 504Mike

« Reply #2815 on: April 26, 2021, 01:14:27 pm »
Hey, it's Mikhail Stepanov  :)
I am 13 years old, so don't expect many posts from me.  ;D
I joined this website to mostly ask questions and just because there are a lot of interesting discussions here.
That's basically it :D

Offline elevendroids

« Reply #2816 on: April 26, 2021, 08:37:53 pm »
Hello everyone!

I'm Michal, been lurking here for a longer while - had an account under this name since 2017 but it got deleted at some point due to inactivty I guess  ::)

I've been playing with electronics since my early days, got my first soldering iron when I was 9 8) Still got the habit of tearing new "toys" apart to see what's inside ;)
For the last ~16 years I've been working as a software engineer, for the last ~6 trying to stay a bit closer to the "bare-metal".

In the free time I like to play with a bit of everything: coding, PCB design, computer networks, photography and music.
"Sleep is for the weak." :P

Love this forum  :-+

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2817 on: April 26, 2021, 09:03:07 pm »
Hello everyone!

I'm Michal, been lurking here for a longer while - had an account under this name since 2017 but it got deleted at some point due to inactivity I guess  ::)
Welcome aboard.

Yes Dave purges zero posters from time to time so for any registered readers on a zero post count it's best you say something.... anything !
Better still be active enough to get to 5 posts and lose Newbie status and gain full PM (Personal Message) rights.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: AmnevaR, elevendroids

Offline nick.theboatman

« Reply #2818 on: May 04, 2021, 10:36:33 am »
Hello All and thanks for the add...
(repost from something I wrote just now...)
I'm also in sunny England (well hell everything's relative)
In the '70s I was a ardent self-taught hobbyist. I made stuff that sometimes worked. Sometimes it went bang ;) You could do that then lol
In the '80s I did a degree in Electronic Engineering and got a 1st for my practical work (ok so I flunked field theory but whatever. Never did like capacitors..)
In the '90s I ran a telecomms company. We built good shit. Infostrada in Italy (the first internet backbone there) - worked because of our central office boxes. Those light-up bus-stop signs that tell you when the next bus is in? My team and I made the comms network happen. We charged $1000 a light. "You want a box to do what? How much? How many lights...? 6? $6000 a box. Easy )
In the '00s I ran a renewables business. We built wind turbines. Big ones. We got shut down by state-sponsored vested interest. Never mind, moving along...
Now I'm not exactly retired but I'm a volunteer advocate and a boat-builder. I handle 60 cases a year. I spend quite a bit of time in court. As a boat-builder I also make good shit. The good shit also has some electronics in it. At least I don't charge $1000 a light any more and the computers cost £1.
Looking forward to chatting here :)

Offline ususos

« Reply #2819 on: May 04, 2021, 09:34:33 pm »
Hello, name is John. Thick film micro circuitry engineer/ analog and tube (valve) interest.

Offline sigma_xi

• Contributor
  • PhD student.
« Reply #2820 on: May 06, 2021, 01:23:03 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm Simon, 25 years old, and I am currently a student at TU Wien, Austria, where I will soon start my doctoral programme on integrated analog circuits/optical receivers.

My main interest are analog circuits, but digital signal processing fascinates me too. In my free time I have been doing smaller PCB projects for the past 10 years, which eventually allowed me to get several internships in the automotive industry (ECUs and headlights) in the past.

Have a nice day!

Offline AtomicRob

• Contributor
« Reply #2821 on: May 17, 2021, 06:05:08 am »
Hello all, I'm Rob. By day I'm a software engineer, been working in the tech industry for about 25 years now, and by night I'm a musician and hobbyist. I enjoy designing and building tube/valve amps and conversions, effect pedals, and mostly analog circuits. Occasionally dabble in microcontrollers - but that sometimes feels a little too much like work! I found the forum while researching new test gear, as I'm looking for a newer/better DMM. Seems like a wide range of topics here, I'm interested to read more and share some thoughts where I can.

Offline gasoil

• if you like mechanics too
« Reply #2822 on: May 18, 2021, 10:17:26 pm »
Hello, I'm JF from France.

Always works around electronic workshop as embedded software developper. Thanks to the 1st confinment I've been able to set up a "lab". Thanks to this forum I've heard about the micsig. And now i'm looking for time to play with these...

Currently i'm intersted by audio amp (i'm trying to fix an old trace elliott), audio effects (repairing old pedals, experimenting with op amp)...

Hope to be able to help...

Offline LECKO

« Reply #2823 on: May 29, 2021, 08:07:31 pm »
Been following Dave's Youtube videos for a number of weeks now, great work Dave!!
The names John, I'm a licensed "Ham" call sign is KM6MB.
Got the scope bug, bought seven for parts a couple of years back, a couple for parts to fix a Tek 2465, who's PS released it's magic smoke..
Anyway I was digging through the seven carcasses a few days back, and one was a complete Tek2465 that was labelled "dead", brought it to the office and opened it up, holy Tektronix, it was complete!. Put it on power, yep dead, pulled the P/S and put a known good one in, switched on....WOW!! it worked, tested all channels and a good trace on each!!
Last week I saw an offer I couldn't resist, a Tek 2213 for Bucks plus S/H. It arrived on Thursday last, opened the box up after demolishing the box, boy was it well packed, foam protected. Liberated it from the box and my jaw dropped, looked like it was brand new, not a scratch or ding anywhere, spotless. It was supposed to be an as is for parts!! The guy had even thrown a new power cord in for good measure!
Plugged it in, switched on and IT WORKED, good trace on both channels!!
I'm no electronics tech, although I have plenty of electronics experience, by trade I'm a mining electrician, trained in the UK coal industry, when it existed, during the 1960's, worked in the NSW coal industry for ten years and now retired, whatever that is, here in "Misery" Fun name for Missouri.

I was reading the thread on the Tek 2215 Friday, as it also has a dead P/S, so every contributors input has been helpful to diagnosing it's problem.

I've a load of old tube test gear to recap, when I have time!! I love old gear, but I also have a new Rigol DS1202Z-E I'm still getting my head around... Us oldies need a little longer.. 8)

Look forward to getting to know a few of you.

Offline PfannenHans

« Reply #2824 on: June 01, 2021, 08:36:54 pm »
Hi I am Johannes, 24 years old and currently an electrical engineering student in the last half of my M.Sc. degree.

I have been a long time viewer of Dave's blog and thought it is about time to get on the forum as well.
I have interests in PCB design, embedded software and linux.

Looking forward to read (and hopefully write) interesting forum threads and comments.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf