General > General Technical Chat

New Member, Please introduce yourself

<< < (577/588) > >>

makingdevices:
Hello there!

Here Rubén, I am an Electronics & Automation engineer from Spain who also studied a master's programme in Energy in Denmark. On top of that, I am currently an R&D Engineer in the field of EV (More precisely: Off-Board and On-Board chargers for some tier1 automotive brands).

However, my passion is embedded electronics and microcontrollers, which I don't have the luck to work with, so I kinda funded Making Devices, a small blog/IG account to share my personal projects on this topic and grow my knowledge about this field.

Thanks!

Fanap:
Hi Everyone,
Looking for work in electronics field. I hope I can make useful contributions here.

Rockwells:
Hello
I'm a software engineer who is interested in getting into hardware.
Thanks

Keri Szafir:
Hello there, kitties - I'm Keri, the vacuum tube witch :)
Doing stuff in my lab, nerding out, being snarky here and there. Not formally an electronic engineer, but I know a thing or two, and got two decades of experience doing the stuff.
I'm way better at hardware than software/firmware.

I'm not that good at introducing myself, so please, bear with me. 36 year old, born and living in Poland, tried to study electronic engineering but failed my maths and physics exams, then graduated chemistry, but have been doing electronics almost all my life. Mostly audio gear repairs, but I can design some cool stuff, like a Monotype composition caster controller based on a Raspberry Pi, or a scalable GoPro Hero3+ synchronized shutter release system, a X-Y scope with a built-in sine wave oscillator and electronic part signature tracer, or an advanced version of a community vacuum tube meter project.

I learned electronics when I was a teen in the '90s, first by playing with my brother's old Soviet "Elektronika" circuit building kit, then by taking apart devices, desoldering them and reusing the parts in projects: multivibrators, power supplies, motor controls etc., all discrete, no ICs let alone microcontrollers. They were too expensive... speaking of which, my budget is tighter than Ethel Granger's laces and I rarely can afford parts I would like to use, that's why I can build a time circuit control chip out of vacuum tubes... Just kidding.

I've always had a knack for analog electronics more than digital, mainly audio and to some extent test gear stuff. I started restoring & modding vintage gear and building vacuum tube amps in early 2000s, inspired by the Fallout video game series and its aesthetic ('50s/'60s Cold War and space era electronics) which vastly influenced the way I build stuff: cable looming, rackmount enclosures, lots of knobs and other controls etc. My favorite technique is point-to-point or tagboards, but I can do PCB if I really need to, and learned SMT pretty recently. Definitely not my favorite to service, it's just too teeny tiny for my shaking hands.

I love doing measurements with vintage gear too (analog scopes, generators, meters etc.) - in fact, I wish I hadn't sold my old ZRK OS102 tube scope that was the first real deal scope in my lab in 2000s. Same with a ZRK M3401SD reel-to-reel tape machine... I needed money though. Capitalism, meh.

Back in 2000s I visited a lot of electronics repair shops, sometimes bought vintage parts, sometimes got some stuff for free (see, it was obsolete to them, taking up space and all that), and I regret not being able to buy as many tubes as I wanted back then when they were relatively cheap. I kept on repairing and building gear, got to know a few guitarists and tinkerers, made amps for them, made amps for myself, took these devices apart and reused the parts in new projects... Life goes on. I volunteered and worked at some places, but nothing beats doing stuff in my own little lab. It's not really a business, my income is way too low to even consider registering as the running costs would eat me right away - I'm abysmal at life management skills, given that I'm on the autism spectrum, probably ADHD as well, overstressed and burnt out, dealing with huge imposter syndrome, got a fair deal of mental health issues with no real access to support systems. Oh, and I'm a trans woman, so more minority stress, yay.

At this point in my life, I live in a relationship of three, it takes pretty much time so I can't devote it all to my work. I'm seeing the pandemic of workaholism all over the world, particularly here in Poland or in the States. It's so toxic... people working their asses off and still not getting anything, let alone becoming wealthy. But I'm not here to rant about poly-ticks (poly being many, and ticks are bloodsucking creatures).

All your vacuum tube amplifier are belong to me :D

Apix:
Hi there! I'm Andrea, I'm an Electronics Engineer from Italy. I'm 32 years old. I've been an hardware engineer for 5 years and 2 years as a firmware engineer, that's what I do at the moment.
I really like working on some projects of mine as an hobbyist.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version