Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1433601 times)

Offline tesla500

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2010, 02:56:06 am »
Hi, I'm David, A 23-year-old from Vancouver, BC.

I got into electronics and making things way back, probably when I was about 5 or 6. My dad showed me how to make counters using 74* series logic chips. And just like Dave, I always annoyed my parents taking things apart  ;D Throughout high school, I was always building projects such as electric powered bicycles and go karts, and high voltage devices like Tesla coils.

After high school, I took Electrical and Computer Engineering Technology at BCIT. I now regret that, I should have taken an engineering degree program, but that's another story. During my free time a friend and I converted a Pontiac Firefly to electric drive.

Now, I work as a power electronics engineer at Delta-Q Technologies. They make battery chargers for golf carts and industrial vehicles like scissor lifts.

Lately my projects have been building a high power AC inverter for an electric car drive system, and a high-speed video camera

David

Offline Emyr

• Contributor
    • http://www.emyrderfel.co.uk/
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2010, 04:58:35 pm »
With a BSc Computer Science under my belt and slowly becoming a zombie at my first programming job (one of two young webdevs at a small firm of solicitors) I recently purchased an Arduino starter kit to keep me busy. Coupled with an interest in cars, bikes and guitars I already have a few ideas to work on.

My first idea is to use the Arduino as glorified ADC feeding into my Asus eeePC to make an electronic dash for my Peugeot 306 TD (no ECU, no ODB port...)

Here's my first bit of soldering since school:

Copier fix'd!

Plus the accountant reimbursed me for the soldering iron ;D I've since replaced the switch with a nice red pushswitch mounted in a square of cardboard (that switch and the leads are from my starter kit). The card means it should deter cavemen from breaking it and it's east to swap it for a fresh piece if it goes...

teebooEET

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2010, 07:42:05 am »
Im TEE,

Im from milwaukee Wi. i studying electronic engineering at MATC. i know that electronic can be hard sometime but im determine to study hard and finish my school with  an electrical engineering degree. i hope that you guy can help answer some of the question i may have.

Offline PetrosA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2010, 04:34:59 am »
Hello, I'm Peter and I'm an electrician at the moment. I was one of those kids who bought 25 cent radios at the flea markets and tried to fix them, but I never really got very advanced at it. Later I started doing electrical work for a few years, then moved to Poland for 14 years and ran a coffee house, translated a few books and came back to the US. I'm interested in increasing my understanding of various aspects of my work and tools as an electrician, as well as just learning new stuff for the hell of it :)

This is attempt #4 at posting this. I keep getting timed out errors on attempts to post. Also had this reply show up as a new post in the General chat section on the first attempt. Is Firefox 3.6 having any known issues with this forum software?
I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2010, 03:52:30 am »
G'Day. I am an engineer who has been into the industry for 30 years... mainframes, analogue and digital electronics design & manufacturing, instrument design, embedded, Labview, C etc. Dave's blogs rock. I am also a Dave.

cheers,
Dave

GeekGirl

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2010, 04:46:43 am »
G'Day. I am an engineer who has been into the industry for 30 years... mainframes, analogue and digital electronics design & manufacturing, instrument design, embedded, Labview, C etc. Dave's blogs rock. I am also a Dave.

cheers,
Dave

Is this some evil experiment ? Is Dave cloning himself ;)

Offline PetrosA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2010, 02:46:04 am »

cheers,
Dave

Is this some evil experiment ? Is Dave cloning himself ;)

Probably more like copying and pasting himself ;)
I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

Offline ShiftPlusOne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2010, 02:19:14 pm »
Hey everyone,

I am 21, studying Electrical Engineering and Business Management at RMIT. I found EEVBlog through the hackaday post and have since become much more interested in electronics engineering.

I joined the forum to see what other people are doing and to get ideas and feedback on my own future projects.

Cheers

Offline Squirrel

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2010, 03:04:35 pm »
I'm 30 year old electrician. I trust Fluke's multimeters.

I live in Finland, here we meet polar bear and ashes in the middle of streets and need fight with bear for food in the woods.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:28:26 pm by Squirrel »

Offline ArtemisGoldfish

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2010, 11:51:58 pm »
Howdy!

I'm John, currently in school for a degree as an Engineering Technician (can't quite afford college for real engineering, maybe one day.) Primary interest is RF, though I have a special place in my heart for digital. Love playing with test equipment (Scopes, service monitors, spectrum analyzers, network analyzers, etc.) and generally fixing things (seems related to Dave's latest video blog.)
John, Hardware Technician, F5 Networks

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2010, 04:59:20 pm »
Vincent from San Jose California. Working for a large semiconductor manufacturer. I develop chips that go in harddisks. Started with electronics when i was about 8 years old. Been working in semiconductors for 16 now.
Main interests : FPGA (Altera / verilog), 8051 , Cortex , Arm7, analog stuff , mixed signal stuff.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline JimBeam

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2010, 06:45:34 am »
Hello everybody,

my name is Andreas and I come from northern germany (Delmenhorst near Bremen). I was born in Berlin and have lived there for over 40 years.
My interests are electronics (of course and for more than 20 years now...), music (actively and passive) and my family.

Main interests in electronics are:
- microcontrollers, I started with 8051 and PIC, now mostly ATMEL AVRs
- firmware for the above
- audio/video and mixed signal electronics, i.e. I developed a teletext generator, that meanwhile is used by quite a lot smaller and larger broadcast stations in germany, austria and swiss.
- measurement circuits

Offline migsantiago

• Frequent Contributor
    • MigSantiago's Web Site
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2010, 02:32:57 pm »
Hi, I'm from Mexico City.

I studied Robotics Engineering and now I'm finishing a Masters in Computing Engineering.

I like the eevblog videos since because they have so many tricks and tips that could come in handy some day.  ;D

Offline mzacharias

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2010, 11:22:23 am »
Mark Z. from Wichita, KS. USA. I'm an audio and video repair technician, and I collect multimeters, some old, some new. I have had a Fluke 85III for going on 5 years and I have to admit I couldn't help picking up an 87V after continually seeing it treated as a de facto reference meter in the video blogs.
I also like old Simpsons ( I own several) AVO's (have 2) and I have a couple AN/PSM-37 military types. The guys at work think I'm crazy but as Dave says, any well equipped bench has at least 5 of these things, right? ;)

Offline anthonycroberts

« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2010, 08:34:01 pm »
Hi,

I live in San Francisco, have a background in finance & dabble in embedded systems.

-Tony

Offline VladKEasternTiger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2010, 12:11:07 am »
Hi, I'm from Mexico City.

I studied Robotics Engineering and now I'm finishing a Masters in Computing Engineering.

I like the eevblog videos since because they have so many tricks and tips that could come in handy some day.  ;D

What career can Robotics Engineering lead? Could the things you learnt be self taught I understand the college provides with the materials to use and experiement with. It sounds interesting but I cannot afford college fees :(

Offline migsantiago

• Frequent Contributor
    • MigSantiago's Web Site
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2010, 02:21:52 am »
Hi, I studied in a public university in Mexico, so fees were no problem.

My robotics major included some general courses: electronics, programming, hydraulics, neumatics, mechanic, etc.

Most of those things can be self taught, specially electronics and programming since the material you need to practice is easy to acquire.

A robotics engineer can work anywhere he wants considering the broad knowledge he can get. I love electronics and programming and I am looking forward to finding a job which includes those areas.

Offline VladKEasternTiger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2010, 08:14:26 pm »
"Most of those things can be self taught, specially electronics and programming since the material you need to practice is easy to acquire."

Thank you for the reply, tell me where to look please?

Offline migsantiago

• Frequent Contributor
    • MigSantiago's Web Site
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2010, 08:57:21 pm »
Well, I don't know where you are from, but there should be electronics stores around you.

There are lots of basic electronics and programming tutorials online, I'm sure that if you use Google you'll find some. You can also go to a library and look for some books.

Offline jyrgen

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2010, 07:13:55 pm »
Hello! My name is Patrik and I'm a recently graduated Robotics Engineer in Sweden. My main subject is electronics and in the robotic company I work in I'm designing a few pcb:s at the moment. I love this blog!

Offline migsantiago

• Frequent Contributor
    • MigSantiago's Web Site
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2010, 09:54:55 pm »
Hello! My name is Patrik and I'm a recently graduated Robotics Engineer in Sweden. My main subject is electronics and in the robotic company I work in I'm designing a few pcb:s at the moment. I love this blog!

Hi!

It seems that we studied the same major  ;D . What were the requirements they asked in your current job?

Offline jyrgen

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2010, 09:45:25 am »
migsantiago: Hello! Nice to see that there are other countries with robotics as master! After I graduated I looked at many different jobs in Sweden but unfortunately all jobs were either work only with electronics or only software. I then started to search for jobs outside Sweden and I found a few that I applied for but I guess that is really hard to get hired in an other country with no working experience. It seemed like the only solution for me were to start my own business so that's what I'm now working on along with one of my classmates and a professor at our school. We are developing a robot but I can't tell you what it is at the moment. I love this job even though I currently don't get any salary. 

I hope that answers your question!

Offline migsantiago

• Frequent Contributor
    • MigSantiago's Web Site
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2010, 02:41:15 pm »
migsantiago: Hello! Nice to see that there are other countries with robotics as master! After I graduated I looked at many different jobs in Sweden but unfortunately all jobs were either work only with electronics or only software. I then started to search for jobs outside Sweden and I found a few that I applied for but I guess that is really hard to get hired in an other country with no working experience. It seemed like the only solution for me were to start my own business so that's what I'm now working on along with one of my classmates and a professor at our school. We are developing a robot but I can't tell you what it is at the moment. I love this job even though I currently don't get any salary. 

I hope that answers your question!

Ohh that's great. I wish you success on your self employed job.  ;D

Offline A-sic Enginerd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2010, 06:54:32 am »
Doin' the newbie chime in:

Been doing chip design for a number of years. Has become "just a job", so recently started working up the hobby lab. I mean come on, you can arrange flops and AND and OR gates in only so many ways!

Computer Engr by degree, but have just about completely forgotten all the EE related background I got in school. So yeah, I'll be spending my share of time in the "Beginner" section. ;D
The more you learn, the more you realize just how little you really know.

- college buddy and long time friend KernerD (aka: Dr. Pinhead)

Offline csadzuki

« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2010, 09:46:18 am »
Hello everyone,

Newbie here from Japan ;)
I'm a Software Engineer with a strong interest in Electronics.
Hoping to learn many things and have some fun here in the forum.  ;D

- Csadzuki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf