Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1440668 times)

jim_griff and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline lamja

• Contributor
    • Lamja.com
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #175 on: August 07, 2010, 07:57:44 pm »
Hi.

My name is Arvid. I live in norway, and I'm 39 years old.
I just changed my profile name from pilleyuppo23(too strange) to lamja (Just got wordpress up and running on my site www.lamja.com  ;D)
I work with telephone PABXs, mostly configurating and installing software. I have an electronics engineer degree from school.
The last couple of years I redescovered the joy of electronics. Before I always was a software/PC freak. (I still am maybe)

Offline Sam

« Reply #176 on: August 09, 2010, 09:07:38 pm »
Hi

Thought it about time I signed up and introduced myself. I live and work in the UK, for a small company carrying out Vibration and Temperature tests (ie shake stuff and bake/freeze stuff) on many different products. I did an apprenticeship through the company and got an HNC in electronics. However we don't do much electronics (I was given a choice between electronics or mechanical), it's more mechanical based, but the electronics is very handy when calibrating or repairing stuff. However the company are sponsoring me to go to uni part time to do a Beng in Mechanical Engineering. So hopefully I will end up multi-disciplined ::)

Any way enough of the boring stuff. Like most here I also have an interest in electronics especially the micro and also PC interfacing side of things. I don't get much free time for projects. However I have built a object avoiding robot which I hope to modify and make more interesting. I'm a great fan of the Arduino and think it's a great device for quick and easy prototyping.

Also enjoy the shows.

Sam

Offline kaptain_zero

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #177 on: August 12, 2010, 04:10:54 am »
Hi, my name is Christian and I'm hopelessly addicted to anything interesting.... <sigh>.

I like computers, straight razors and traditional wet shaving, machining, LED flashlights, motorcycles, leather work, electronics, ham radio........ urgle...... do I need to go on?!?!

I found the EEVBlog videos by accident, watched a few and decided that this was an excellent way of "getting up to speed" on some topics that interest me.

Regards

Christian

aka

Kaptain " I usually just connect + to - and run everything else to ground" Zero

Offline Steven8098

• chiropractic Chicago
« Reply #178 on: August 12, 2010, 07:37:59 am »
Hello Everyone I am totally new here.

Offline christopher77

• process server
« Reply #179 on: August 14, 2010, 05:11:06 pm »
Hi,
I am christopher, form UK newbie in this forum

Offline ThunderSqueak

• Supporter
  • Dont be a freak... dont be a freak... dont be a ..
    • ThunderSqueak!
« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2010, 06:59:46 am »
Welcome new people :D   
Currently working with non-binary computing, no reason for it... just doing because I can ^^

Offline Napalm

• Contributor
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2010, 12:38:04 am »
Hi Everyone,
I've been following Dave's brilliant video's on YouTube for quite sometime and signed up to the forum a while back. Never really got around to posting.. so here's my first post. I'm from London, UK.

I'm a software guy have been for quite sometime. I worked on a operating system and a few other low level things and started going further down into Firmware and so on.. PICs.. kits, projects, and the like. I've really found I like electronics.. I have learned a lot recently and I love learning new things.

Over the past couple of years in my spare time of playing with electronics's I only feel I've scratched the surface. I've slowly built up my workbench. I now have a Oscilloscope, a couple of half-decent Multimeter's (Thanks to your advice in your video's), bench power supply and Temperature controlled soldering iron, Grounding point, Vise, and lots of drawers of component's.

I've not etched my own boards (yet!), so far I've been using breadboards and then transferring those to strip-board once I'm happy. I've found myself removing reusable components from consumer electronics that I would (not too long ago) throw away.

Just purchased a new book: Electronics Explained by Louis E. Frenzel, Jr.
So far a good read. He explains things quite well, using the "average joe" perspective rather than complex engineering equations which have my head spinning. Wouldn't it be so great if those equations on Wikipedia and the like had a "C/C++" version. I would be able to understand that perfectly.

I guess that explains where I'm currently at. Always learning something new. Keep up the good work Dave!  :D

Napalm
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 12:52:40 am by Napalm »

Offline LumpyGravy

« Reply #182 on: August 22, 2010, 07:49:23 pm »
Hello everyone. Yet another EE here, in the UK. Design geophysical instrumentation for oil/gas industry by day, watch the EEVblog by night and thought it was about time I signed up and said hello. So, hello!

Offline Avionics_Guy

« Reply #183 on: August 25, 2010, 12:39:52 am »
Hello everybody! Dave Evans here. I'm happy to be a part of the blog. I ran across EE Dave's blog on youtube while surfing around
and thought it was very good and informative, so i ended up at his site and watched most of his video blogs and thought i might
sign up on the forum. For myself, i grew up similar to Dave back in the day. I was born in 1967 and my father was in Avionics out
at the now disfunc NAVY base here in Beeville Tx. I grew up watching Star Trek, Lost in Space, Space 1999 and such, and loved
the sound FX and blinky lights and so fourth plus my father would bring home parts and components for me to play with.
At about 6 years old i got my first analog multimeter kit and a crystal radio kit for my birthday, along with a dozen star trek models
and toys. The next few years yielded me the radio shack 50 in one project lab, then the 150 in one, then 300 in one, and some
other things. I really did not have any money to buy anything of value so i went venturing out on my Bike looking for stuff.
People would throw away radios, tv's and other stuff, i would allways drop by the TV shops, they would always toss out good stuff.
Anyways, i started picking up portable tv sets and taking them home and tinker with them, ask my dad questions, buy some electronic
books and getting a hold of a books like the TTL Master IC Cookbook and so fourth. Long story short, tought myself how to repair
Tv's, Vcr's, Camcorders, Etc. Only in the last 3-4 years have i got into Logic circuits, micro-controllers, etc. So looking
forward to chatting with all of you.

Dave

Offline AwesomeEcho

• 10^9
« Reply #184 on: August 30, 2010, 11:17:14 pm »
Hi everyone! I'm a EE graduate student researching antennas and microwave/RF design, mainly antenna design.  I saw this website at a friends, and I've been interested ever since!  I've built projects for my undergraduate degree (in EE), but I'm looking forward to building side projects for fun. It's a lot different when you choose to build something!  :)   

Offline dics

• Contributor
    • dicsEE - Hobby Electronics
« Reply #185 on: September 01, 2010, 12:31:46 pm »
Hello everyone, i am dics from Romania.
I come from a software development background with more than 18 years experience and i recently (since 2005) got involved into hobby electronics.
I own a website which was partially made because of Dave's video blog and partially because there is nothing like this available in my native language. I have videos recorded during work with camstudio and with my camera also (camera doesn't love me as much as it loves Dave though :) )
Looking forward to meet new people here and chat about electronics

dics
http://dics.voicecontrol.ro/

Offline red_kooga

« Reply #186 on: September 04, 2010, 10:25:01 am »
Hi everyone,

I am richard from england, i love tech, enjoy everything electronic from my first project a VHF air band radio with a 6c4 valve back in the early 70's to a pic microcontroller with everything today.

Offline Vexer

• Contributor
« Reply #187 on: September 04, 2010, 06:08:57 pm »
Hey guys,

I live in Mississippi(USA), and have been watching Dave's blog for about a year(on and off). I am probably Dave's youngest viewer(turning 13 next month).

I enjoy anything electronics related, from computer hardware to capacitors and resistors. Currently, my project is an LED Matrix(Bi-color) video game system based off of an AVR Microcontroller(programmed in C). Unfortunately, I don't have much of an electronics lab right now, though I hope to get an oscilloscope for Christmas.

Offline FLUKE179

« Reply #188 on: September 04, 2010, 09:55:54 pm »
Hi I'm Ronald I live in derbyshire in the uk I'm in to all sorts of bits I work as a mobility engineer on power wheelchair's so I get to play around with all the 12v gizmo's all day I am working on a tesla coil at the moment from the ground up hope to have some pics of it soon.

Offline nyo

• Contributor
« Reply #189 on: September 05, 2010, 04:15:38 pm »
Hello all,

I'm an electro-mechanical technician and I think Dave's blog rocks, lot's of info. When I first started watching, I didn't quite understand lots of things he was talking about, but as I learn I can go back to the older blogs and I now understand what is going on. I specifically like when Dave opens or tries limitations of devices that I can't afford to mess with.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 01:05:26 am by nyo »
Felipe

Offline AvrFan65

« Reply #190 on: September 06, 2010, 10:34:29 pm »
Hi,
I'm Jan, living way up north in Norway. Have been into electronics since early 80's.
working as a technican, but also doing some computer programming.
Just found this blog a few days ago and think it's very interesting,
have had a lot of fun looking through the episoedes.

Jan

Offline quantumfall

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #191 on: September 09, 2010, 09:29:45 pm »
Hi all good to post here I'm from the south of England, slightly older guy who has had a Tandy kit in a wooden box and other things and still playing. Only a novice but with some pro work on old PC systems years ago.

Offline Nermash

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #192 on: September 14, 2010, 07:04:02 am »
Hi to everybody, greetings from Bosnia and Herzegovina showered in pissing rain this morning :)
I first got interested in electronics way back in the begining of 90's as a teenager. I even went to some competition in my school's team, very basic stuff, variable psu and so on...

I am now involved professionaly with cable TV equipment and brodcast equipment, and in the final year of getting my long overdue engineering degree(IT) :)

Offline Raff

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #193 on: September 14, 2010, 08:31:11 am »
Hi Guys and Gals,

I am Raff. short for Raffaele, I live on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.  I am a retired electronics technician who worked for a large telecommunications company for many years doing everything from telephone installs and maintenance to payphones, to telegraphy and data networks. I have also been involved with computers for many years, ever since I fist spied a TRS80 at the local Tandy store! Well I guess I'm giving away my age a bit here.. I repaired, built and sold many computer systems from humble home PC's to heavy duty multi processor server systems.

I am now retired due to ill health, but try and tinker with my electronic toys whenever I can, I have everything from home made jukeboxes to pinball machines in my shed to play with.

I stumbled upon Dave's wonderfull video blog after I was offered a Rigol oscilloscope used and wanted to find out more about it. It's a DS5202CA which I gather is an older one, but it suits me just fine. It's going to compliment my aged old BWD 35Mhz analogue storage 'scope.

Love the blog, and love the forums!

Offline adept

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #194 on: September 18, 2010, 02:07:56 am »
Hello EEVBlog,

I love the show! Just decided today to join the actual forum and everything. Been a fan for almost a year now! My buddy (also a big nerd like me) recommended the show to me. It's really entertaining to watch! I'm "a budding young lad in high school", as my grandpa would put it. Electronics describes my life. That and music. I play trumpet for the band. My first computer was a Tandy my dad bought in college. I'm a calculator hacker, who makes do with the hardware of nothing. Junk bins are a good place to look to find me. People throw out things that are absolutely useful. Cemetech is my second home. I'm close with all of those bloggers. Kerm Martian is the best webmaster ever. Everything is custom, and he's always there to help. Lots of contests, hacks, entertainment, etc. there. EEVBlog is the place I look when I have a question about design. Dave is the most entertaining lecturer ever. Although some of his shows are long (30 minutes or more), I'm not bored, but enticed, and sit through it all. That's my life in electronics.

Offline Lance

• Frequent Contributor
  • Resistance if futile if R<1Ohm
« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2010, 11:40:30 pm »
Hello from West Canada! I tried joining the forum earlier but was having issues with it. Seems to be working now, so I signed up! I'm finishing up first year engineering and hopefully will transfer to electrical engineering next year.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 11:42:13 pm by Lance »
#include "main.h"
//#include <killallhumans.h>

Offline Jochem

« Reply #196 on: September 20, 2010, 01:13:13 pm »
Hi all,

I'm a total amateur from the netherlands, found Dave's blog through makezine (I think), and decided to join.

So far, I've been messing around with some simple microcontroller stuff, and a little bit of discrete component electronics. I used to solder together some kits when I was a kid, and was really interested in it, but never got much further due to a lack of Internets. Recently, I've been rekindling my interest.

Offline pdunz

« Reply #197 on: September 23, 2010, 12:44:41 am »
Hello everyone from New Zealand.

Well what to say.  I started when I was hmmm around 13 (Im now 29) but that was put on the back bench for the last few years but after building a kit a few weeks ago it got me interested again, and then looking around youtube and seeing the videos - it got me even more interested.  

I used to just buy kits from the store and build them without actually knowing or learning how the components interact with each other (I also made a few PCB's so I know how to do those too) - but now Im taking my time studying schematics, looking up datasheets for the various components (mainly transistors & IC's) and learning what they can do and what they are for in a circuit.  I am now in the designing stages of a project that I wanted to do for a while now.  After that is all done and working, I may delve into Microcontrollers because I have an idea with that as well.

Other than that, I am also a trade mechanic and certified in I.T.

Anyway thats me.

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #198 on: September 26, 2010, 08:16:10 pm »
Hello  :D
I'm interested in electronics for many years as a passion/hobby(since I was young). Actually I would like to buy a DSO and I have seen many informations in this forum so I give it a try  ;)
Sorry if there's some mistakes, english isn't my native langage (I'm a grench guy  :D )

Offline im_a_human

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #199 on: September 27, 2010, 03:16:20 pm »
Hello!  :D My name is Nick, im from Sussex in the UK. I work as a technician at a college maintaining and repairing audio equipment in a music department. I have been into electronics hobby for about 25 years. Im interested in homemade computers, programming, micro controllers, audio and making music. I enjoy Dave's video blogs a lot and look forward to being part of the community.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf