Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1433670 times)

Offline lxmute

• Contributor
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #2875 on: June 04, 2022, 12:06:44 am »
Hello,

Alex there, Briton from Bretagne/Brittany. Owned 8bits then 16/32bits mighty Amiga.
I've studied maths and physics at University level long ago gathering some diplomas. Then I switched to computer science.
I'm a Unix developer, sysadmin. I'm fluent in a few languages, C, C#, PERL, PHP, JAVA, playing with sensors and databases. I'm curious about electronics trying to go deeper for quite a few years.
I'm here to request for help about a big electrical problem hammering badly my life atm.
I stay positive.
cheers.

Alex

Offline kora

• Globar LLC
« Reply #2876 on: June 04, 2022, 04:18:21 am »
I am Sergey, from Ukraine, former Motorola SE (systems engineer) since 1992. Will be happy to help in field of telecom, radio, any trunking systems (SmartZome, Astro, P25 etc.). Skype: kora007 .

//kora

Offline ppeatman

« Reply #2877 on: June 14, 2022, 08:49:33 am »
Hi guys & girls,

I'm Peter (65) from the Netherlands. Long ago, I graduated from the Delft University of Technology in Electrical Engineering. Since then, I mostly worked in telecommunications, software developement, mathematics. Now that I'm getting closer to my retirement, it's time to pick up and refresh my good-old hardware hacking skills :-)

Offline TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2878 on: June 27, 2022, 04:00:07 pm »
Greetings all - I'm Tom from Vermont in the USA.   I do IT for a living and to support my electronics hobby.  Started out with a Radio Shack 100-in-1 kit back in the 70's and have taken apart more gadgets than I have put back together.  I have a perverse kink for clocks of all kinds and equally appreciate all electrons, whether they be electromechanically derived or silicon in a microcontroller.

Long time EEVblog viewer, just signed up to the forum today.   This place looks like it has a LOT of smart folks with good ideas, and I'm eager to learn.

Thanks!
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PIC

Offline dermotkirk7

« Reply #2879 on: July 03, 2022, 12:09:48 am »
Hi

I’m Dermot I don’t have any qualifications to list but like to believe I have a strong understanding of electronics mostly in the automotive industry

Offline makingdevices

« Reply #2880 on: August 02, 2022, 07:10:23 pm »
Hello there!

Here Rubén, I am an Electronics & Automation engineer from Spain who also studied a master's programme in Energy in Denmark. On top of that, I am currently an R&D Engineer in the field of EV (More precisely: Off-Board and On-Board chargers for some tier1 automotive brands).

However, my passion is embedded electronics and microcontrollers, which I don't have the luck to work with, so I kinda funded Making Devices, a small blog/IG account to share my personal projects on this topic and grow my knowledge about this field.

Thanks!

Offline Fanap

« Reply #2881 on: August 23, 2022, 09:24:05 am »
Hi Everyone,
Looking for work in electronics field. I hope I can make useful contributions here.

Offline Rockwells

« Reply #2882 on: August 23, 2022, 04:19:44 pm »
Hello
I'm a software engineer who is interested in getting into hardware.
Thanks

Offline Keri Szafir

• Contributor
  • Vacuum Tube Witch
    • youtube
« Reply #2883 on: August 23, 2022, 04:53:56 pm »
Hello there, kitties - I'm Keri, the vacuum tube witch :)
Doing stuff in my lab, nerding out, being snarky here and there. Not formally an electronic engineer, but I know a thing or two, and got two decades of experience doing the stuff.
I'm way better at hardware than software/firmware.

I'm not that good at introducing myself, so please, bear with me. 36 year old, born and living in Poland, tried to study electronic engineering but failed my maths and physics exams, then graduated chemistry, but have been doing electronics almost all my life. Mostly audio gear repairs, but I can design some cool stuff, like a Monotype composition caster controller based on a Raspberry Pi, or a scalable GoPro Hero3+ synchronized shutter release system, a X-Y scope with a built-in sine wave oscillator and electronic part signature tracer, or an advanced version of a community vacuum tube meter project.

I learned electronics when I was a teen in the '90s, first by playing with my brother's old Soviet "Elektronika" circuit building kit, then by taking apart devices, desoldering them and reusing the parts in projects: multivibrators, power supplies, motor controls etc., all discrete, no ICs let alone microcontrollers. They were too expensive... speaking of which, my budget is tighter than Ethel Granger's laces and I rarely can afford parts I would like to use, that's why I can build a time circuit control chip out of vacuum tubes... Just kidding.

I've always had a knack for analog electronics more than digital, mainly audio and to some extent test gear stuff. I started restoring & modding vintage gear and building vacuum tube amps in early 2000s, inspired by the Fallout video game series and its aesthetic ('50s/'60s Cold War and space era electronics) which vastly influenced the way I build stuff: cable looming, rackmount enclosures, lots of knobs and other controls etc. My favorite technique is point-to-point or tagboards, but I can do PCB if I really need to, and learned SMT pretty recently. Definitely not my favorite to service, it's just too teeny tiny for my shaking hands.

I love doing measurements with vintage gear too (analog scopes, generators, meters etc.) - in fact, I wish I hadn't sold my old ZRK OS102 tube scope that was the first real deal scope in my lab in 2000s. Same with a ZRK M3401SD reel-to-reel tape machine... I needed money though. Capitalism, meh.

Back in 2000s I visited a lot of electronics repair shops, sometimes bought vintage parts, sometimes got some stuff for free (see, it was obsolete to them, taking up space and all that), and I regret not being able to buy as many tubes as I wanted back then when they were relatively cheap. I kept on repairing and building gear, got to know a few guitarists and tinkerers, made amps for them, made amps for myself, took these devices apart and reused the parts in new projects... Life goes on. I volunteered and worked at some places, but nothing beats doing stuff in my own little lab. It's not really a business, my income is way too low to even consider registering as the running costs would eat me right away - I'm abysmal at life management skills, given that I'm on the autism spectrum, probably ADHD as well, overstressed and burnt out, dealing with huge imposter syndrome, got a fair deal of mental health issues with no real access to support systems. Oh, and I'm a trans woman, so more minority stress, yay.

At this point in my life, I live in a relationship of three, it takes pretty much time so I can't devote it all to my work. I'm seeing the pandemic of workaholism all over the world, particularly here in Poland or in the States. It's so toxic... people working their asses off and still not getting anything, let alone becoming wealthy. But I'm not here to rant about poly-ticks (poly being many, and ticks are bloodsucking creatures).

All your vacuum tube amplifier are belong to me :D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 05:22:20 pm by Keri Szafir »
...its loveliness increases, it will never pass into nothingness

Keritech Electronics - building vacuum tube amps and restoring vintage gear since 2004!

Offline Apix

« Reply #2884 on: September 06, 2022, 07:23:22 am »
Hi there! I'm Andrea, I'm an Electronics Engineer from Italy. I'm 32 years old. I've been an hardware engineer for 5 years and 2 years as a firmware engineer, that's what I do at the moment.
I really like working on some projects of mine as an hobbyist.

Offline AzGuy

« Reply #2885 on: September 10, 2022, 09:57:36 pm »
Hi everyone! Greetings from sunny/hot Arizona-USA. I just joined.
I've been in the electronics-based industry for many years. Previous Motorola/Freescale employee. Doing IC Layout since 2006. Bench tech. for a few years. Kinda edged into semi-retirement when the company sold. Right now I have the most important job of my life: taking care of my wife.
I enjoy fixing things. I don't care what it is, I'll make a valiant effort to fix it. This is 1 reason why I'm here. On occasion, one needs help, advice, a schematic, etc.
I'm looking forward to exciting future reads and helpful information.

Offline NiallDarwin

• Right to Repair!
    • The Infinite Monkey Lab
« Reply #2886 on: November 10, 2022, 11:21:18 pm »
Niall in New Zealand here. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm a Professional Mechanical Engineer with experience from steelworks to sports cars but mainly I was a designer of machines to make semi conductors, specifically LED & LASER stuff. I'm now trying to get into the power industry with my startup 'The Infinite Monkey Lab'. http://timl.me

Believer in Open Source, right to repair and general empowerment of the individual to make a stronger society.

Offline robinhp1

« Reply #2887 on: November 12, 2022, 04:10:58 pm »
Hi, I'm Robin, a retired Electronic Design Engineer and classic car enthusiast. I enjoy tinkering with gadgets, 3D printing, keeping stuff working as designed, and trying to grow stuff in the garden :)

Offline gubezon

• Contributor
« Reply #2888 on: November 19, 2022, 01:35:08 am »
Hello all!

After a long time lurking, I decided to sign up here today.

Been knocking around with electronics since I was a kid in the 70s/80s. Whenever a product that had a battery or mains cord had the statement "no user serviceable parts inside", that was an open invitation to figure out how to crack it open!

One of my earliest recollections of hacking (albeit lame) was dismantling a nine volt AM transistor radio just to see what was inside, and then for whatever reason, instead reassembling it in the plastic housing (maybe I broke it?), I used a King Edward cigar box as an enclosure. Mounted the tuning cap and on/off volume potentiometer on one side of the box and rigged the small paper cone speaker on the front.

Wish it had survived the tumult of the years cause I'd take a pic and post it on here. It wasn't too awful looking.

Also had a hand-me-down (was one of my uncles) 150-in-1 electronic kit (Tandy/Radio Shack) in the late 70s that kept me occupied on plenty of dreary days when starting fires and having rock battles (etc etc) with the other neighborhood kids wasn't possible.

The big jackpot: when the public high school I ended up in had electronics classes as a possible elective for all four years. Mr Fowler who instructed me all four years was the best. Back in the 80s, he thought nothing of illustrating concepts of collapsing magnetic fields by shocking students foolish enough to believe that a 9v battery on the primary of a 6.3 volt filament transformer couldn't possibly give them a shock. Good times. (Would NEVER fly today!)

Anyway, I wasn't great academically, but always had a knack for hardware hacking. Ended up in the IT field most of my career. It pays the bills, and I still get a kick out of anything with a CLI interface or shell prompt. Long live BSD/ksh/bash/Linux/perl/python/etc/etc!

Got my amateur radio ticket along the way, and while I am not one to spend a lot of time ON the air, I love tinkering with transceivers and antennas.

Ultimately, while no engineer, I have always kept electronics close to my heart, and now am in head over heels with modern test equipment, the likes of which I thought I'd never be able to afford new.

Got new siglent toys on the way, and have been scraping the forums here for months for info about Rigol/Siglent gear. Love watching the tear-downs Dave does of the stuff, and once I realized that Siglent and Rigol are "HACKABLE" I just couldn't resist having a go at some of this kit!

Sure beats the day job! Office 365 and AD administration is like watching paint dry.  ::)

Looking forward to hopefully contributing anything of value here. Already benefited immensely just scraping the topics as a lurker!

See you down the threads!

Offline meballar

« Reply #2889 on: November 27, 2022, 04:36:21 am »
Hello all,
I'm Michael Ballard.  I was in the USAF 22 years as a ground radio technician. After retiring from the AF, I took a job as an RF tech at a site in southern Germany. I had the luck of learning from the Master there, but for only 3 months before he retired. I was the sole maintainer of a bunch of dishes and it was a challenge everyday for sure. After that place closed, I went to a site in Korea as an RF tech. After the experienced tech retired, I continued getting deeper into the RF assurance testing.  We had a Tek 1502 time domain reflectometer (TDR) in the shop.  I had little experience with it, but I soon found out how incredibly useful it was.  I could shoot the RF cable at the base of these monstrous LPA antennas and see all the impedance transitions through the 10 connections in the 105' path. 

The biggest benefit I found with the TDR is its ability to clearly display sections of water contamination and degraded connections. I don't have any other TDR-type equipment (I read that the Fieldfox has an optional TDR function, but mine only has the CAT).  I also have an Anritsu S332D, and like the Distance-to-fault/VSWR function, which I used frequently, along with the TDR.

I encountered some DC voltage when I connected to a wrong port (which had the B+ running through the cable to power the antenna amplifier), which I assume smoked the "unobtainium" tunnel diodes.  I think to fix that I'll have to gamble on some of the 1502's on eBay advertised as not working, and hope that there are some salvageable parts.

So I bought a 1503 TDR off eBay, but have found that it is nowhere-even-close to being as useful as my 1502.  I don't know the condition of the eBay 1503, but I ran the 1503 diagnostics and it had no errors.  The pulses at the high and low impedance parts of a test cable look like what's depicted in the user manual-all I see displayed is an upclock (open) that drops back down to the middle, or downclock (short) that rises back up to the middle . 

This is nothing like the display of the 1502's "fingerprint" showing all the impedance deviations (such as the aforementioned LPA antenna sections) within a short distance.  When there's an open, the 1502 shows a steep upclock and a high plateau.  When there's a short, the 1502 shows a steep downclock and low plateau.  But other than those extremes, the 1502 tells a great story:  I see a variable impedance over time, indicative of the impedance changes as the cable transitions to the antenna hardware (load coils, connectors, changes in cable impedance (50 ohm cable, to metal airline, to 93 ohm cable, etc.).

Does this huge difference between the displays I'm getting from my 1502 and 1503 suggest that the 1503 has a problem?  Would it be a correct statement that the 1503 is more suited for just looking for shorts and opens in a cable path?  Thanks for any insights.

Mike

The following users thanked this post: gubezon

Offline Detlev

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2890 on: December 28, 2022, 03:44:55 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm Detlev from Germany and I live in the beautiful Weserbergland.

I've been reading here for a while and the forum has already given me a lot of valuable information  :-+

I had studied electrical engineering a long time ago, but then slipped into IT. This year I fulfilled a small dream and set up a small electronics measuring station. For me, this is a playground where I can refresh what I've learned and get back to my old hobby of electronics.

My hobbies are cycling, listening to music and much more and now electronics :)

Unfortunately, my English isn't that good, please don't be mad at me, I wasn't paying attention in school  :=\

Many greetings
Detlev
This post is "Made in Germany" 😎

The following users thanked this post: gubezon

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2891 on: December 28, 2022, 04:32:52 pm »
Unfortunately, my English isn't that good, please don't be mad at me, I wasn't paying attention in school  :=\

Welcome to the forum, Detlev
Don't worry about the language, your English is very good.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: Detlev

Offline gubezon

• Contributor
« Reply #2892 on: December 31, 2022, 01:31:42 am »
Welcome meballar, detlev and apkoff!

New here too, and like detlev, pay the bills slogging around in IT and still love my original hobby and am always looking for ways to spend more time on it than everything else that gets in the way.

Hope to see you all down the threads!

Happy New Year!

The following users thanked this post: Detlev

Offline p38arover

« Reply #2893 on: January 08, 2023, 03:39:16 am »
Ron from western Sydney (Australia) here.

Retired telecomms tech (37 years in international telecomms) followed by 8 years controlling trains (signaller in a signal box).

Amateur radio operator (VK2OTC) but not very active; treasurer of the local amateur radio club - BMARC.org

Stumbled across this site whilst looking for info on Adcola T-80 soldering iron tips.  Still looking.  :)

Offline AnalogTodd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2894 on: January 10, 2023, 03:45:09 pm »
Hello all,

My name is Todd Owen, I'm an active power IC design engineer in industry. Started learning electronics in the late 70's with the old Radio Shack kits and then really got into it when I went to college to get my BSEE in the late 80's to early 90's.

Have been doing IC design as a career since I graduated in 1994 and started at LT. Was given the LDO product line to do, so if you've used an LT LDO, I've likely had my hands on it at some point (if not my design start to finish). Most recently heavily involved with low noise products and now into space and radiation environment designs.

Had the opportunity to work with some great people over the years.

Feel free to ask me questions!

-Todd
Lived in the home of the gurus for many years.

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge, jmw

Offline jagwire64

« Reply #2895 on: March 04, 2023, 01:53:45 pm »
Hi all,

Tom from Virginia, USA...I'm not in the industry, I just enjoy fixing things. Recently I started repairing old computer boards and fell down a rabbit hole. Should have been an EE instead of an attorney, maybe in another life. I have been lurking for quite a while and I have learned a lot. The education continues...

Offline Lowkus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2896 on: March 16, 2023, 07:24:55 am »
Mark from Redmond, WA, USA.  I've been lurking on this site for a few years now.  My day job is programming and it drains the life out of me.  I'm hoping eventually to design some new products that I can sell and earn enough to escape having to work a day job.  Not just for the money though, I like the idea of creating new electronic devices.

Offline twistedpair

« Reply #2897 on: March 28, 2023, 05:21:31 am »
Andrew from Adelaide, Australia.

Electronics Technician working in hardware / firmware development environments for the last three decades, most recently in the Aerospace, Science and Engineering sectors.

I have and interest in prototyping, test & measurement and all things retro.

Offline ekoloski

• Contributor
« Reply #2898 on: March 29, 2023, 03:43:38 pm »
Hi All,

Ed from the USA here. I am not in the industry outside of a few PCB layouts that I've been commissioned to produce. I have been a hobbyist for many years though, and a ham radio operator for just about as long (KC2FNA). I have been a lurker on the forum for quite a while and would like to see what I can contribute back to the community.

I've been tinkering with circuits since for many years. Lately I've been working on a few nixie tube related projects, but my past has ranged from home automation to vacuum tube amplifiers, to test equipment modification and all sorts of obscure tangents. Aside from that I tend to try to repair any broken device I come across.

Offline elshazlio

« Reply #2899 on: March 29, 2023, 07:49:53 pm »
Hello. I am an undergraduate Electronics Engineering student and I hate math, physics, and circuits \$\Omega\$. I find the semiconductor industry interesting as it sits at the cutting edge of human progress and development. I want to be there, right on the edge. So I want to work in a premiere semiconductor company like TSMC, Arm, Mediatek, Qualcomm, NVIDIA, or Apple.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf