Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1443620 times)

funkydunx

Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #1625 on: February 13, 2015, 11:56:51 am »
Hello, I'm from Sussex in southeast England and my background is in physical science.. inspired by the eevblog to get stuck in to some practical electronics! ;D Got myself a basic tek 'scope, PSU and AFG, an agilent and gossen dmm and a soldering iron and having loads of fun! :)

Offline TwinScroll

• Contributor
« Reply #1626 on: February 13, 2015, 12:50:12 pm »
Hi Everyone, I am Keith, from the Southcoast (Hampshire) of England UK.
I have been in the Electronics Industry for 18 years and along the way I've been fortunate to work on very interesting projects in areas such as underwater Systems, Avionics Test Solutions, Wind Tunnel control systems, High Pressure air and more recently various Automotive.
Actually, I am very much into Automotive Electronics in general, Engine tuning, CANBUS networks and the such.
Looking to make some cool projects this year.
I am a big fan of the EEVblog and the Amphour  :blah:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:52:10 pm by TwinScroll »

Offline 6sigma

« Reply #1627 on: February 14, 2015, 01:50:05 pm »
Good morning! It's a sunny, cold Saturday here in the deep South (USA). After a career in management, it's time to dust off an engineering degree from the mid-70's and start an electronics hobby. At my age it will involve:
  • Equipping a proper lab/workbench & relearning some fundamentals (under way)
  • Two-channel audio-related repairs, restoration, kits, amplifiers, speakers, crossovers, etc.
  • Possibly some Arduino projects, RC/drone projects, toy repairs, etc.
  • Whatever I can do to entertain myself & the granddaughters - 3 as of 2015

Some generous people here. Thanks for sharing your know-how and experience.

Offline emulsifide

« Reply #1628 on: February 16, 2015, 09:15:31 pm »
Hey everybody. I've been tinkering with electronics since I can remember being alive. I'm currently in the process of building out a hobbyist's electronics shop in my basement and I stumbled across this forum after watching some oscilloscope videos on Youtube. I look forward to learning a lot from this large community.

Offline gfiber

• Contributor
« Reply #1629 on: February 19, 2015, 11:02:34 pm »
Name is Gary, been an amateur radio operator K8IZ for 39 years, hold a FCC GROL with shipboard Radar endorsement. Worked for 11 years at Icom America 1989-2001 doing mostly product support and some limited bench work. Am interested in building up circuits for amateur radio and work as I now do electronic surveillance work.
Also own a 2004 Jeep Wrangler as a 2nd vehicle (Just empty Every Pocket)  ;)

This forum is great so many knowledgeable folks here, you are like the Amateur Operators buy a new piece of gear and rip the cover off to see what is inside, I like it.
Gary K8IZ

Offline sj_bradley

Hello from Doncaster
« Reply #1630 on: February 20, 2015, 10:33:37 am »
Hi,

I'm Simon from Doncaster and I was recently impressed that Dave read out in a mailbag and put up the picture of the Vulcan Bomber that is stationed here. (Thanks Dave for showing that)

Just registered today and started back into electronics from a hobby years ago. I've just had back my first batch of PCBs from China (of course, I don't "dis" anything Chinese but was amused when a jiffy bag turned up ... See my first post in Chat)

Keep going Dave - I especially like the tutorial type videos. :)

Thanks,
Simon.

Offline ltourist

• Contributor
« Reply #1631 on: February 22, 2015, 03:35:12 pm »
Hi,

I'm Bertrand from France. I've already posted a couple of questions here but never saw the presentation thread before :)
I'm a software engineer for entertainement websites for the past 3 years, but I spend most of my free time experimenting with electronics and embedded software since a year and a half.

Dave's videos and the forum has been a huge help in my learning curve !

Thanks

Offline lbeckm3

« Reply #1632 on: February 22, 2015, 11:24:02 pm »
Hello all, my name is Lyle and I'm from Sioux Falls, SD USA.  Wealth of information here, looking forward to being a contributing member!  As far as my electronics prowess... well it isn't much.  Hobbyist with some general knowledge but looking forward to greatly expanding that as I go along.  I've done some basic work with microcontrollers (picaxe and basic stamps primarily, a bit with TI msp line and some arduino recently).  Mostly I've just made led's blink and soldered kits together to this point.

If you're bored you can have a look at a Ghostbusters proton pack I made - I used a picaxe chip and shift registers to make the blue scanning led's go on the back of the pack;

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and all that. 

-Lyle
-Lyle

Offline janaf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1633 on: February 23, 2015, 05:36:19 pm »
I never introduced myself  when I started posting here :palm:

My name is Jan Fredriksson, from Stockholm, Sweden.  I'm a plumber. And welder and my MSc was in thermal engineering. I worked 15 years as a research engineer at a major technical university, KTH, mainly with measurement techniques in various research projects. Didn't finish my PhD yet. On the side I did develop and sell a bunch of switch mode audio amplifiers and also amplifiers for piezoelectric actuators/transmitters. Now I do electronics semi-professionally, mostly applied measurement stuff. Since some years I run an un-related business with a dozen employees. It pays the bills. I'll retire in five years and I hope to have a working voltage reference finished by then.
my2C
Jan

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1634 on: February 24, 2015, 06:03:30 pm »
Nice to finally know who you are.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline eggplantUK

« Reply #1635 on: February 25, 2015, 04:19:30 am »
Hi all!

I'm from the UK and am a keen electronics enthusiast.  I've worked in the repair industry, too.  I enjoy fixing and tinkering with old computers, VCRs, audio equipment, video games, arcade machines... all sorts, really!

Just thought I'd join up to talk with like-minded people!

Offline lasersbee

« Reply #1636 on: February 25, 2015, 02:39:01 pm »
Hi all,
I have been watching Dave on Y/T for a few years now and decided to
join this Forum to see if I could contribute some content and learn from
the experts here.

Will be doing a lot of reading before Posting to get up to this Forum's
speed and nuances. Type to you later....

Jerry

Offline 10101

• Contributor
« Reply #1637 on: February 25, 2015, 07:13:50 pm »
Hello everyone, another high school student with interest in electronics (obvious ! xD) just created his account :D !!!
Been watching Dave's channel and forum for more than a year now and all i can say is that i learned ALOT from it so continue the good job !!!  :-+

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1638 on: February 27, 2015, 01:18:20 am »
Missed this when I signed up.  Retired from a career in the US defense business, with a wide range of gigs from circuit design, board and unit test, field testing, software, systems engineering and finished up in engineering management.  Have done a variety of electronics related things on a hobby basis, as well as maintaining all the various boxes that the family accumulates.  Wrote some commercial software early in the PC boom, but dropped that when it became necessary to become a GUI expert to bring anything to market.  In spite of advanced engineering degrees I have always leaned toward the practical side of the field.  Theory is great for a deeper understanding of what you are doing, but the really interesting stuff comes from people who are going beyond theory, or putting theories together in ways that seem kooky to most people.

There are an incredible number of talented people here, with a broad range of backgrounds and interests.  Am looking forward to learning much, and hopefully contributing a little.

Offline PsychoMaster

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1639 on: February 27, 2015, 11:41:56 pm »
Hello Everybody
Yes I missed it as well ,any way my name is Paul ,been married thirty years and gone quite mad .
Reliving my childhood again (never stopped) and playing with my toys .Obsessed with motorcycles since I was eight and love anything I can take to bits.Thought it about time I took electronics a bit further ( maths,I can't grasp numbers) as I always have been interested.BFN 

Offline ReaDave

• Audio Engineer and Electronics Tech
    • Synthesizers.Audio
« Reply #1640 on: March 04, 2015, 08:51:37 am »
Hi everyone,

My name's David and I'm an Aussie electronics tech and sound engineer from Adelaide, South Australia. My introduction to electronics started some time in the 70s when my Dad showed me how to hook a battery to a lightbulb and everything just snowballed from there.
My first repair job was in grade six in primary school when we had a rainy day lunchtime which meant we all got to stay indoors during lunch (I actually really enjoyed those rainy days) and my teacher gave me a broken HMV stereo valve record player. She expected me to pull it apart and have some fun in the process but by more of a stroke of luck than any skill, I managed to get it going by the end of the lunch break. That record player became my first personal "HiFi" system.

Fast forward a few years and my first job was at 3GL radio station in Geelong, Victoria (now K-Rock FM). Second job was as a sales person at Dick Smith Electronics. I later got an apprenticeship as a radio tradesman and once that was completed, I moved into the entertainment industry and worked as a live sound engineer and electronics tech for Music Workshop, also in Geelong.

These days, I am on a pension due to a disability and focus mainly on writing and recording music in my small project studio. I'm still very active with electronics though and spend quite a bit of time breadboarding various ideas and designs and building/modding things for my studio or for other purposes.

I have quite a fondness for synthesizers and have a collection of analog and digital gear from the 70s through to today which I use frequently in my musical projects. I've been playing piano/keyboards now since 1984 and also play trumpet (which was actually my first instrument), guitar, bass and drums.

Anyway, that's enough about me for now. I look forward to participating in the discussions here on this forum which I found while researching a DSO (a Rigol DS1052)  a friend of mine recently purchased. I found Dave's videos about the reasons DSOs 'appear' noisier than their analog counterparts. Great videos and great YouTube channel!  :-+

Edit - I forgot to mention that my nickname here was first created for another forum I am a regular contributor on. That is the REAPER audio forum. For those who are unaware, REAPER is very cool DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software which is my primary recording, mixing and mastering tool. I switched to it from Digidesign (now AVID) ProTools a few years ago.
The REAPER system nicknames many of it's subsystems with a 'Rea' prefix, hence my 'ReaDave' nickname to match.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:09:51 am by ReaDave »

Offline sainter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1641 on: March 04, 2015, 09:39:21 am »
Hey Everyone,

I'm Juozas from Lithuania, about 30 year old computer technician working in industrial material manufacturing plant. I am new to electronics (started few years ago), but so far I like it a lot. Currently I am a student of Klaip?da University, and working towards Electrical engineering bachelor degree. I participate in University's Robotic club, and currently we are building  Japanese robot sumo robot .

EEVblog is the main drive for my new passion in electronics, so Thank you Dave for that.

For the moment, i'm already  familiar with basic analog and digital circuitry, microcontrollers. Next step, learning FPGA. For a long time, i couldn't advance in electronics because of little or none test equipment (buying old stuff from ebay is out of the question, because usually shipping to Lithuania cost as much as the item it self), but after joining the university, with it's equipment, thing are looking better.

I'm surprised to see, how active is this forum (hardly have time to read through all the topics). So thanks to all the people that write and participate in daily life of this place.

Offline boobo-oobo

« Reply #1642 on: March 08, 2015, 05:50:28 pm »
Hello.

Im Marko from Croatia. Finished my education and started working full time in my dads business. I'm an electrical engineer, our business is a small family business est. in 1997. We are engaged in a spectrum of different activities, primarily those related to the service and repair of electrical and electronic devices, but we maintain machines for other businesses, do mechanical work and manufacture and install new electronics, service and repair electrical and electronic equipment, industrial electronics, all kinds of motors and gear units, regulators, measuring equipment, encoders, frequency converters, power supplies, PLCs, controllers, etc.

Offline nick5435

• Don't short the supercaps, just trust me.
« Reply #1643 on: March 11, 2015, 07:34:03 pm »
Hello! I'm Nick, an Engineering Student from the Twin Cities in Minnesota, USA. You might know Minnesota as the place Digi-Key is from, or where Michelle Bachmann is from (Sorry for the second one, we're trying to figure out how to get rid of her ourselves). I'm into designing Power supplies and IoT applications.
Twitter: @nick5435_Plays

Offline 7_seg

« Reply #1644 on: March 12, 2015, 01:51:38 am »
Hi everyone! I'm an EE grad out of unimelb currently living and working in Melbourne. I work in a loosely related technical field and love finding useful ways to apply my EE skills. Joined this forum as a way to help build on practical electronics skills. This forum seems a great place to ask both sticky questions as well as those things I really should remember from my studies. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

7_seg

Offline dtnicholls

• Contributor
« Reply #1645 on: March 16, 2015, 11:17:20 am »
Hi all, I'm Daniel, live in Adelaide.

I'm a tech, experience is mostly in navigational systems (gps, gyros, em log, etc), sonar, radar and RF safety.
I'm also a licenced electrician.

For about the last year though, I've been working on pokies. Very very different to what I've done previously, and good to be learning new stuff!

After watching the blog for a while I thought I'd come and join up here...

Offline C222

• Contributor
« Reply #1646 on: March 18, 2015, 09:53:15 am »
Hey, I'm Ben.

I'm a firmware engineer with experience doing a bunch of C and Python for AVR and ARM micro-controllers.
I'm also a fan of software defined radios.

I've started watching more and more of EEVblog so I thought I should drop by and say "Hi".

Offline lupu

« Reply #1647 on: March 18, 2015, 12:01:24 pm »
Hello, I'm Robert

I'm following EEVblog since 2010 and I hope this is the last time my Forum account here gets deleted :D

Offline TrunKate

• Contributor
  • Son & Mother Beginners!
« Reply #1648 on: March 21, 2015, 02:01:47 am »
Howdy from the USA. Or as Dave would say,"USA-USA-USA"!
I have been watching EEVblog for more than a year now. My son(6 yrs. old) and myself have begun learning about electronics together. In no small amount I attribute our interest to Dave's amazing enthusiasm and technical knowledge! We began simply by tearing down every piece of unwanted/trash electronics we could find. With the parts salvaged we make simple contraptions and it really gets the gears in our brains moving! My son Thomas has a favorite nick-name now, "Electronics boy"! We have an Elenco 130-In-One kit on its way, and thanks to the generosity of this community much more coming! I have begun to learn the basics and fundamentals, whereas with my son I am trying more of an experimental approach to get him excited and keep his interest. Try explaining Boolean algebra and Ohm's law to a 6 yr old!! To sum us up I will say we are most certainly beginners starting at the bottom. I will admit all the math and physics is a real challenge to comprehend. I have been out of school for almost 12 years and was never that interested in math. Slowly I am grasping it one day at a time. I love tinkering and working with my hands. I find it very therapeutic! Thanks if you took the time to read this and remember, "Don't turn it on, take it apart!"
"You may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting. This is not logical, but it is often true." -Spock

Offline vrb

« Reply #1649 on: March 28, 2015, 09:43:16 pm »
Hello everyone, I'm Vince. I'm an American high school senior interested in Electronics Engineering and vintage computers. I'm going to school for EE in the fall and would like to eventually go into the field of RF Engineering.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf