General > General Technical Chat

New Twist to Printer Ink Refill Scam

(1/8) > >>

jonovid:
Canon DISABLES scanner when ink runs out. Who owns this scanner

this video deserves more interest.  :o
when independent functional systems stop working just because one part is out of ink. so international corporations can sell more ink.
just knowing that this is happening is troubling
IMO this is a new twist printer ink refill scam.
now just imagine if your Internet of things shutdown in sympathy, for your printer? or its it their printer!
or your operating system had sympathy for the printer been out of ink, so stopped working!  >:D
were will this type of BS end?

Refrigerator:
I had an inkjet printer do something similar-ish.
I found one at the dumpster and it still had plenty of ink in it but wouldn't print because some ink drainage was full  ??? ???
To fix this issue it said to bring the printer in for service (yeah right).
But if i pressed a button combo to print a test image it worked perfectly well.
I didn't find a way to reset this nonsense so i tore it down to salvage components, there was no sensor to sense any kind of drain.
The whole thing was entirely calculated in the processor to just assume it's done with life after some number of prints.  :--

Sal Ammoniac:
I have a Brother all-in-one that works the same way--you can't scan documents or FAX anything if the ink cartridge is empty.

bob91343:
Refrigerator, what model printer?

amyk:

--- Quote from: Refrigerator on October 21, 2021, 08:33:28 pm ---I had an inkjet printer do something similar-ish.
I found one at the dumpster and it still had plenty of ink in it but wouldn't print because some ink drainage was full  ??? ???
To fix this issue it said to bring the printer in for service (yeah right).
But if i pressed a button combo to print a test image it worked perfectly well.
I didn't find a way to reset this nonsense so i tore it down to salvage components, there was no sensor to sense any kind of drain.
The whole thing was entirely calculated in the processor to just assume it's done with life after some number of prints.  :--

--- End quote ---
That's the "waste ink counter", there's an absorbent pad on the bottom that holds the ink it spits out when doing cleaning cycles, and when it gets "full" (as calculated by the counter) it stops, because continuing could cause the ink to actually overflow out of the printer. For some models there are reset programs, it's a value stored in EEPROM somewhere. Of course the real solution is to make it a bottle that you can empty when it gets full, and those running a CIS will usually have an external one added: http://www.undr.com/understatement/2008/epson_1280_ink_waste_tank/index.html

The community has managed to produce working open-source 3D printers, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in hacking 2D printers beyond the commercial ones (some of those greedy ba$tards charge to reset the counter too....)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version