Author Topic: new Navy pentagon-confirmed UFO videos  (Read 9587 times)

Online coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
new Navy pentagon-confirmed UFO videos
« on: April 15, 2021, 08:28:32 pm »

tri-copter with a forward thurst? May not be so difficult with modern control systems, the main problems with these experiments in the 1950's were control systems, the designs are very unstable, an simple analog control systems that are small could not handle it. They should be judged on speed, weight and flight time (which determine power plant, how much energy the craft has available) more then anything related to maneuvers, because all sorts of acrobatics are possible with modern microprocessors doing fast cheap calculations to actively stabilize odd geometries. The power plant is the tell tale sign of advanced technology. Could be a drone submarine with drone scout ships.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 08:35:40 pm by coppercone2 »

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: new Navy pentagon-confirmed UFO videos
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 09:09:24 pm »
Where can we see first hand confirmation from the pentagon? Those people are not fast to confirm any actual observation. Why would they in this case? And the exact wording matters a lot here.

If it is a secret research thing, then why would they present that to congress as UFOs. Presumably congress should know what research is performed  and they can be told exactly what that is.

There is no point in speculating. Without good information, it will just be the same arguments all over again.

And half of the vides here are from thermal cameras, which are not very reliable for random unknown objects. It may have not disappeared into the ocean, but just turned the wrong side to the camera.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 09:12:26 pm by ataradov »
Alex

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 09:19:06 pm »
that looks like night vision (so it goes through a light amplification tube), and I don't know the fox news report says the same thing as the USA today report and its probobly online

the confirmation usually happens when some reporter asks pentagon brass if they can confirm it, I am not going to sit through c-span looking for it
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 09:21:28 pm by coppercone2 »

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 01:49:11 am »

Maybe the tic tac is some kinda physics particle that interacts with the jet (i.e. the proposed physics objects W.I.M.P. comes to mind, in some kind of form)? Maybe some interacting dust particles by some strange combination of forces? (i.e. odd super alloy turbine grindings that have built up in the atmosphere over the years because of advanced engine technology that behave some how cohesive, room temperature 'condensates' of some kind, the combinations of metals that we make in the conditions that occur in engines are not anything near natural?) Maybe some kind of sphere structure/balloon that forms naturally from the things in the air and is very strong and some how interactive with EM (naturally radar seeking metal frame ultra-solid formed by accumulation/cohesion balloon)? So the plane is kind of acting like force tweezers (laser tweezers, ultrasonic tweezers, etc) based on one of its emissions that lead to the interactive behavior? (just explain wind resistance)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 02:04:00 am by coppercone2 »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 02:16:00 am »
These UFO videos are mostly all the same - new or old. Some splotch moving on video that reminds viewers of some flying craft. But it's always apparently just far enough away to remain mysterious. When are we going to catch one close enough to see the lights, windows, engines, rivets, or an alien waving to us?

:-//

I bet - never.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: hexreader, mikerj, george.b, mindcrime, duckduck

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 02:27:29 am »
It looked to me like the interference pattern generated by an obstruction in an optical system.  Very bright pinpoint sources can create ghosts obscuring the shape of an object.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artifact_(error)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_flare
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 02:30:59 am by David Hess »

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 02:49:05 am »
what about the one with the pilot saying he saw a flying propane tank with his eyes

the only lens there might be the cockpit and his eyes, then 3 more guys saying they saw the same thing

did those jets have videcon tubes by any chance? I played with an old tube and the creepiest thing would happen, if it got too dark, the image was visible, but new objects were not visible, so if you stood out infront of it and turn a flashlight on, you teleport into place. I hung it on the roof as a driveway cam for a while before I forgot about it and spiders took over the system, one of them managed to make a web inside the lens some how and I forgot about it
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 02:54:01 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: mindcrime

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 03:54:32 am »
It looked to me like the interference pattern generated by an obstruction in an optical system.  Very bright pinpoint sources can create ghosts obscuring the shape of an object.
You can clearly see there are two identical flare-like artefacts with the same triangular shape on the left and bottom left respectively. I'm betting it's related to the camera aperture.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 03:59:33 am »
you would think the navy, dealing with missiles being launched, which are bright, and guns being fired, and plane afterburners, in all times of day and all weather would know how to deal with and identify camera aberrations, its dangerous because you might think there is a enemy missile and trigger a defense system.. for some reason I don't think its so simple/foolish.. these military systems must be designed to reduce that and the operators trained on how to identify that. and they float on water all the time and constantly scan everything around them, including odd ball dangers like glint from submarine periscopes (reportedly this was one of the best ways to spot a submarine back in the day), possibly frogman goggles, sub surface ships, etc.. they all rely on identifying glint properly.

or enemy gun fire from a ship or an explosion from a ship (be it under attack or malfunction), after 1000+ years of navy service, would probobly make this.. easy to determine? it did not really change importance over the century, they used to light small fires on boats filled with gun powder to act as torpedos.. the camera is new but I figure they must be EXPERTS at dealing with that and all sorts of optical illusions.

The military was fooled before by stuff like this with early warning systems on satellites, but that was 50 years ago, with lessons learned I am sure.

Microwave effecting pixels maybe? but those thermals are usually shielded with germanium that is conductive I think, and the systems must be RF hardened anyway (so you don't mess up a night vision tube with the radar), so they probobly have all the bells and whistles.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 04:06:47 am by coppercone2 »

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 04:16:27 am »
These UFO videos are mostly all the same - new or old. Some splotch moving on video that reminds viewers of some flying craft. But it's always apparently just far enough away to remain mysterious.
 When are we going to catch one close enough to see the lights, windows, engines, rivets, or an alien waving to us?
Well yeah, if a craft is actually identifiable, they would not be categorised together with unidentified flying objects, now would they? By nature the objects in question are unidentified because the video quality is bad and you can't infer more details from what's being shown. That's it. There is noting else anyone can say about the object in question. The problem is, people think they can fill in the gaps with a whole bunch of aliens nonsense.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, hexreader, electr_peter

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 04:17:29 am »
Well it does not hurt to revisit the case once in a while as we learn more about physics, get more information, etc.

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 12:28:00 pm »
The amazing part, is that I think 'most' of us would 'like' it to be true...  but alas...
ANYONE who has even the slightest Grasp of the enormity of our Galaxy, not to mention the whole 'known' Universe, would have to concur
that no matter how small the chances are for 'life' within other individual star systems, that due to this incredible enormity then 'Life' of some
sort must literally be PROLIFEROUS out there!!!  :phew:   However... that doesn't mean that 'they' have or ever will visit us here on Earth.   :-\
I for one would love it to be so!, but it always gets me why such Beings, (attempting to be secretive), would have lots of glowing/flashing lights!!   :)
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
iratus parum formica

Offline hexreader

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 12:34:26 pm »
Come on guys/gals...

Scepticism is a good thing but you can take it too far.....

Why can't you consider the possibility that this is a REAL fuzzy, wobbly, unidentified blob.... ?
... Not an imagined fictional fuzzy, wobbly, unidentified blob.
 :-DD
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 12:46:34 pm by hexreader »

The following users thanked this post: mikerj, duckduck

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2021, 12:36:13 pm »
Until, say, the last 100 years or so there would have been no reason for aliens to "alert" over this rock. Why would they come here? Since radio was invented it makes the rock a beacon of sorts, but EM waves travel at the speed they do so it takes time. Everyone (on this forum) knows that.

What gets me is the "Ancient Astronauts" shows that presume the ancient people were too dumb to build the things that they did without aliens helping them. Why would aliens have ever noticed the planet in the first place?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 01:41:16 pm by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 01:02:13 pm »
 :palm:

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 01:38:16 pm »
Until, say, the last 100 years or so there would have been no reason for aliens to "alert" over this rock. Why would they come here? Since radio was invented it makes the rock a beacon of sorts, but EM waves travel at the speed they do so it takes time. Everyone (on this forum) knows that.

What gets me is the "Ancient Astronauts" shows that presume the ancient people were to dumb to build the things that they did without aliens helping them. Why would aliens have ever noticed the planet in the first place?

It would be funny, if it wasn't so sad also, to realize that one of, if not 'the' first real TV video transmissions globally, was of Adolf Hitler at the
opening ceremony of their Olympics, in 1936 !!!  So this is the 1st video 'transmission' that Aliens would have ever seen about us!!!!   :palm:

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 07:26:01 pm »
It would be funny, if it wasn't so sad also, to realize that one of, if not 'the' first real TV video transmissions globally, was of Adolf Hitler at the
opening ceremony of their Olympics, in 1936 !!!  So this is the 1st video 'transmission' that Aliens would have ever seen about us!!!!   :palm:

And as mentioned in Carl Sagan's "Contact" they would not have any understanding of its meaning.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2021, 08:01:00 pm »
These UFO videos are mostly all the same - new or old. Some splotch moving on video that reminds viewers of some flying craft. But it's always apparently just far enough away to remain mysterious.
 When are we going to catch one close enough to see the lights, windows, engines, rivets, or an alien waving to us?
Well yeah, if a craft is actually identifiable, they would not be categorised together with unidentified flying objects, now would they? By nature the objects in question are unidentified because the video quality is bad and you can't infer more details from what's being shown. That's it. There is noting else anyone can say about the object in question. The problem is, people think they can fill in the gaps with a whole bunch of aliens nonsense.
In addition what is said above, I think that U[unidentified] in UFO may be taken too seriously/too formal. That is, flying object is identified, if aircraft type details, number, flight path, owner, etc. are known. If some of these data points are missing, then it is unidentified. Which obviously leads to non-trivial amount of UFO events from normal aircraft traffic. For example, in some of sightings videos exhaust of jet engines seems to be pictured from very far away, making identification not possible, thus UFO.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 09:15:20 pm »

What was in it that deserved a facepalm?

Secondly, why was the TV transmission if there was no TV receivers. Who the transmission was for?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2021, 12:46:23 am »
More than a decade ago I set up an online MySQL database of farly credible UFO sightings for a space-oriented group, there were a great many simple reports on what people had seen and reported and this database concentrated particularly on the physical traces they left.

There was a curious consistency to these reports which were from all around the world.

This database was nicknamed the traces database. It may be online somewhere.

You can clearly see there are two identical flare-like artefacts with the same triangular shape on the left and bottom left respectively. I'm betting it's related to the camera aperture.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 01:06:05 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2021, 04:16:23 am »
you would think the navy, dealing with missiles being launched, which are bright, and guns being fired, and plane afterburners, in all times of day and all weather would know how to deal with and identify camera aberrations, its dangerous because you might think there is a enemy missile and trigger a defense system.. for some reason I don't think its so simple/foolish.. these military systems must be designed to reduce that and the operators trained on how to identify that. and they float on water all the time and constantly scan everything around them, including odd ball dangers like glint from submarine periscopes (reportedly this was one of the best ways to spot a submarine back in the day), possibly frogman goggles, sub surface ships, etc.. they all rely on identifying glint properly.

or enemy gun fire from a ship or an explosion from a ship (be it under attack or malfunction), after 1000+ years of navy service, would probobly make this.. easy to determine? it did not really change importance over the century, they used to light small fires on boats filled with gun powder to act as torpedos.. the camera is new but I figure they must be EXPERTS at dealing with that and all sorts of optical illusions.

The military was fooled before by stuff like this with early warning systems on satellites, but that was 50 years ago, with lessons learned I am sure.

Microwave effecting pixels maybe? but those thermals are usually shielded with germanium that is conductive I think, and the systems must be RF hardened anyway (so you don't mess up a night vision tube with the radar), so they probobly have all the bells and whistles.

I spent much of my career working on these types of systems and agree that the systems are designed to minimize ghosts and other spurious images, and that those who work with them have a lot of experience in what is out there.

But the same lengthy exposure to these images and films convinced me that the world is too varied and strange to completely eliminate anything.  If you want a perfect image of a tyrannosaur dancing with a lion it will show up somewhere or sometime.  Very rarely but it will turn up someday.  Between the enormous variety of natural backgrounds, clouds, atmospheric absorbtion, rainfall, fires, geothermal sources, drones, birds, rc airplanes, and other stuff outside the optical systems and dust, scratches, over active filter algorithms and a myriad of other things inside the optical system there is plenty of raw material to generate many, many weird images.

So the key word in these UFOs is Unidentified.  They could be aliens.  But the odds are probably higher that they are some other thing which will seem totally mundane once identified and explained.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 05:08:05 am »

Secondly, why was the TV transmission if there was no TV receivers. Who the transmission was for?

There were TV receivers prior to WWII, electronic TV receivers were formally introduced in 1939.
http://www.earlytelevision.org/prewar.html

They did not achieve widespread adoption until the 1950s but they existed and there were broadcasts.

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2021, 05:14:28 am »

The 'facepalm' was in ref to having a NAZI highlighting the 1st transmission, although of course 'Aliens' would have no understanding.

Have a look at...
https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/first-televised-olympics
and...
https://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2016/02/20/jesse-owens-olympics-germans-nazi-radio
Not really the largest of signals! but non-the-less out there!  8)

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2021, 05:44:43 am »
Here is the one with the triangle shapes debunked:
https://youtu.be/-r2oaQWmqkk

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2021, 06:34:35 am »
so the navy has cheap triangle iris on high end fighters and has no idea what they do despite 50 years of night vision technology?

That must literary occur on every single night flight ever for 50 years.

I was intensely familiar with the lens effect on a videcon tube after about 5 minutes of night time operation.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 06:37:26 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2021, 06:45:58 am »
iratus parum formica

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2021, 07:33:33 am »
Two things always pop into my head when UFOs start trending on YouTube. Thing #1: Exceptional claims require exceptional proof. Thing #2: Seems like now is as good a time as ever to start filming the next installment in the Aliens movie franchise. How about "The Aliens Come To Earth"? That would be a good one. They tried that with "V" in the 80's, but the special effects were weak. Seems like modern CGI is up to the task. Aliens in business suits. I like it! Let's get a producer and a writer.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2021, 07:42:50 am »
I just wanna know how people flying 10-100 million dollar planes with their entire career based on operating the thing do not know how to use the targeting cameras on the plane and what they do, that is the targeting system, that is textbook, a MIG fighter can look like that. like the enemy air force can turn the lights on and cause the strike team to play scooby doo? the plane radar and sensors don't pick up flight beacons and all other things that are emanating from civilian aircraft (the theory is that)?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 07:45:08 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2021, 10:28:38 am »

Don't look too close, unless you want to see anal probing in progress.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2021, 11:36:30 am »

Don't look too close, unless you want to see anal probing in progress.

I'll risk it for science.  :box:

Online mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2021, 12:23:04 pm »
I just wanna know how people flying 10-100 million dollar planes with their entire career based on operating the thing do not know how to use the targeting cameras on the plane and what they do, that is the targeting system, that is textbook, a MIG fighter can look like that. like the enemy air force can turn the lights on and cause the strike team to play scooby doo? the plane radar and sensors don't pick up flight beacons and all other things that are emanating from civilian aircraft (the theory is that)?

It's either a Pentagon double bluff, or the aliens are forcing them to tell lies to reduce their credibility.  It literally can't be anything else!  |O

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2021, 05:39:31 pm »
I liked "Taken" the TV miniseries by Steven Spielberg.You can see the whole thing on Youtube. I wish they would finish the great story.

In the story, a girl is born of a union of the two species (played by Dakota Fanning) She ends up going on a journey to this other species home world..(what the title "Taken" is about. But that happens near the end of the series and its not included in the episodes.

But thats a story line which would really be interesting ground to cover in a TV miniseries. So they need a sequel.

Two things always pop into my head when UFOs start trending on YouTube. Thing #1: Exceptional claims require exceptional proof. Thing #2: Seems like now is as good a time as ever to start filming the next installment in the Aliens movie franchise. How about "The Aliens Come To Earth"? That would be a good one. They tried that with "V" in the 80's, but the special effects were weak. Seems like modern CGI is up to the task. Aliens in business suits. I like it! Let's get a producer and a writer.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Ducttape

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2021, 07:20:09 pm »
Maybe the government thought they could plant a seed that might tend to reduce the political polarization that's been occurring for quite some time, and only getting worse. There's probably even an old Twilight Zone that covers this, but essentially if there is another even more extreme 'Them' (extraterrestrials) to fear it might bring everyone a little closer together.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 07:25:27 pm by Ducttape »

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2021, 09:11:23 pm »
Maybe the government thought they could plant a seed that might tend to reduce the political polarization that's been occurring for quite some time, and only getting worse. There's probably even an old Twilight Zone that covers this, but essentially if there is another even more extreme 'Them' (extraterrestrials) to fear it might bring everyone a little closer together.
Show me the little green men... furthermore, get off of my lawn!  :-DD
PEACE===>T

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2021, 11:19:26 pm »

What most people don't both with, even engineers who should no better, are the SNR and aperture requirements to pick up any of earth's transmissions outside of the solar system. 

tl;dr: It is basically impossible to pick up earth based radio broadcasts from even the edges of our own solar system.  If we want to put up a road flare for aliens we need to pick a candidate solar system and point a powerful CW transmitter like the former Arecibo main dish (pours one out) directly at it.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, duckduck

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2021, 11:47:16 pm »
you never know what kind of receivers they have, look at the advances of rydberg technology (currently equal to decent equipment) and things like maser based receivers. I am sure that's not the end of it, there are probobly lots of undiscovered exotic RF detectors and amplifiers that might have spectacular SNR.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 11:49:04 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2021, 11:48:53 pm »
so the navy has cheap triangle iris on high end fighters and has no idea what they do despite 50 years of night vision technology?

It seems so.  I did not know that photographers had a specific term, bokeh, for it.  Or I forgot.

After 50 years the navy knows that this shortcoming is irrelevant because overload destroys the performance of the night vision equipment whether the obstruction is circular or not.  They apparently need to update their training or take it more seriously.

The obstruction might even be considered an advantage since it reveals that the focus is off.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2021, 11:49:48 pm »
man if they can't use the targeting system on the plane properly (its like a rifle scope or maybe binoculars, I am not sure exactly how that plane works) those tax dollars are being pissed away, what are they shortening pilot school to 2 weeks after bootcamp because of budget cuts?

before they start hanging LED strips on loitering missiles so the airforce sends planes to 'investigate triangular UFO"

those triangles might have something to do with lens momentum and rapid autofocus, maybe thats why it its a triangle.

And the fact that this got through the pentagon is ridiclous. they need to send those paper pushers out on the air field to service planes for a while lol (I restored a severely screwed up 'oxidizing' pair of binoculars internal parts and it was NOT fun). put a damn oak desk out there and have em strip, clean and lubricate mechanical things in targeting pods that got back from the desert.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 11:56:33 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2021, 11:56:21 pm »
And the fact that this got through the pentagon is ridiclous. they need to send those paper pushers out on the air field to service planes for a while lol (I restored a severely screwed up 'oxidizing' pair of binoculars internal parts and it was NOT fun).

It did not get by me.  I had it right when I first saw it.  They should hire me.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2021, 12:05:32 am »
Do you know if special conditions make this happen? How does it not happen every single time you are approaching to land or see something at the wrong distance in the air before the camera focuses?

Is it not always displaying triangles?

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2021, 12:33:58 am »
What most people don't both with, even engineers who should no better, are the SNR and aperture requirements to pick up any of earth's transmissions outside of the solar system. 

If you want aperture, consider gravitational lensing -- using a star's gravity to focus the signal from a long way off onto a receiving (or transmitting) antenna located on the focal line.  I used to hang out with Frank Drake, and that was his dream receiving system.

For what it's worth, I do *not* believe that aliens are buzzing the earth in their UFOs.  They're out there, just not *here*.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2021, 06:07:03 pm »
Do you know if special conditions make this happen? How does it not happen every single time you are approaching to land or see something at the wrong distance in the air before the camera focuses?

Is it not always displaying triangles?

It doesn't display the aperture when properly focused.  It should also not happen when the aperture is small enough to increase the depth of field to cover the source.  When I used my infrared monocular with the daytime cover which is just a pinhole lens, then the focus does nothing.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2021, 06:53:00 pm »
I figured a plane will routinely come across unfocused things in day to day operations.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2021, 07:27:00 pm »
In photography circles, the effect of the aperture shape (and lens aberrations) on out-of-focal-plane objects is called "bokeh", and aficionados discuss good and bad bokeh from different lenses from an aesthetic perspective.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2021, 09:29:24 pm »
ok, but they are flying fast, changing altitude alot, doing spins, flying at night, landing on ships, etc. you would figure during all those flight hours seeing something out of focus would be regular. if you take pictures how long does it take to go out of focus? you run into it really quickly.

with all those pilots and all those things you would figure it would be in a power point under 'weird stuff not to get confused by' slide. or the 'things you might not know about your plane because their a little different then what you are used to with normal equipment'. I figured this would show up on a manual slide project sometime around 1960 in vietnam and be standard since then, since they had the crappiest night vision with tons of problems back then and were always doing stuff at night.

'your target might look like a triangle because....'
'sometimes you see a triangle on your screen and this can mean you should..."
'we had an incident where a pilot showed up to locartion xyz during a night time support operation and did not destroy the target because he was confused by its triangular appearance, this is normal because... and can be resolved by...'

i mean it seems pretty fucking important to know when you should change the focus..........
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 09:36:38 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2021, 04:49:09 am »
The professionals are doing their jobs, know their tools and the tools limitations, etc. It looks like people “who want to believe“ when they lay their hands on footage like that doing creative editing, leaking to gullible journalists and such (watch thunderf00t’s analysis on youtube above). Then the Pentagon being the huge bureaucracy that it is keeps these “reports” for ever and ever... Still curious to see their upcoming report and all.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2021, 06:11:20 pm »
Fran is a believer.

*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2021, 06:20:01 pm »
I do agree that we need to research this more. But the research starts not with pixel peeping on a blurry 360p video, but with equipping those planes that see UFOs all the time with decent modern cameras.

How come we can get 8K footage from Mars, and can't place a stupid GoPro on a fighter jet.

If things are as common as they are described, it should not be a big problem to film them with decent quality.

And also, you see reports from commercial pilots that they see them too, yet there are no reports from the passengers. Sure, pilots look outside all the time, but there are way more passengers, so presumably there would be massive reports and videos of UFOs.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: nixxon

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2021, 06:45:33 pm »
Good luck finding everyone who's ever been on a plane that may have had a UFO encounter and was sitting on the right side and looking out the window and wasn't napping or listening to music and caring only about their vacation and the latest pop culture. Even if they did see something nowadays they'd be like, "ooh look, weird light...ah, it's gone now. I wonder what the latest Justin Bieber song is?"
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline penfold

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2021, 07:05:19 pm »
Maybe this is somewhat akin to the way humans use laser pointers to confuse cats and dogs and watch them run around in a demented fashion. The aliens are probably sat back somewhere saying "aww, bless 'em, little humans, they can't even take a focused picture of us, cure world hunger or solve gender inequality and they dream of living on Mars, how cute".

Also, this jumped to mind:

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2021, 07:52:55 pm »
You don't need to find everyone. And yes, people sleep and listen to music. But there bound to be some evidence if UFOs so abundant as those recent documentaries seems to portray.

"Researching" pixels on a low res video is a waste no matter what. It is one step away from looking for Yeti on trail cameras.
Alex

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2021, 09:06:16 pm »
I think its some kind of ball lightning plasma phase thing. there is alot of weird stuff floating around the atmosphere, maybe it makes a strange particle, condensate, phase of some kind when struck by lighting that is metastable.we make weird stuff in the lab with weird conditions. i still can't explain the weird spherical spark thing that came out of the power strip when the MOV blew in that thread, but it was not grey, but the way it navigated out of the power strip without scorching everything made it seem like it has some kind of natural tendency for 'terrain following' with repulsive forces. or maybe its something weird that comes out from underseas vents from magma.

Perhaps it has something to do with nuclear testing (why this is a more recent phenomena), having to do with the decay chains of nuclear dust in the air made by testing making specific isotopes prone to catalyzing/stabilizing/forming these spheres. Also might have to do with changing the atmospheric composition with CO2 and greenhouse gas emissions, this must have a effect on refraction, ionization, etc. Just global temperature change alone maybe has some kind of spawning pool of these things form some where in the air because of stratification of different kinds, and it might be related to solar flares and particle fluxes. There is plenty of explanations other then 'we have become a sufficiently advanced civilization to attract contact'. I think its some kind of bizzaro waste product from industrial or military activity. HAARP? We also did some strange stuff like spread dust for rain formation (silver is highly conductive and normally not scattered in the atmosphere). But I believe that

1) nature can form round plasma objects, having seen one
2) billions of reactions that can be catalyzed by really weird man made shit
3) can be some kind of weird particle analogous to a WIMP (hypothetical weakly interacting massive particle), it has visual presence but very little mass and friction (super conductor version of friction). Maybe its a single atom hit by a weird particle like a strangelet (who knows what they can do) that changes nuclear force to make it act differently but still be cohesive and some how turn visible.

I think if we captured one it might have interesting results in physics.

I would suggest two aircraft fly between it and then shoot a laser through it into a receiver to measure its transmission. they should be drones because if its doing something weird with nuclear forces and light maybe it can jump between photons to induce a voltage or something strange like that. it should be treated with caution.

Also things like superconductors are being produced fairly widely right now (even if specialized and in small amounts), since this is handled often at a university level you might assume the containment is poor and some stuff does get into the air and maybe have some kind of strange interaction with lightning.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 09:23:12 pm by coppercone2 »

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2021, 09:41:47 pm »
Organizing two aircraft is definitely impossible at this point if we can't have even one of them film it well.
Alex

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2021, 09:55:31 pm »
They only appear for people who believe 8), I've seen three. :o

There are some photos and videos taken by passengers on aircraft, some of them look a lot more like a craft than a blob. :scared:
Whatever they are, around 5,000 recorded sightings are confirmed by radar.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 01:09:46 pm by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2021, 11:54:32 pm »
 :palm:

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2021, 07:52:21 pm »
This is mostly a recruitment drive....and some people want to write books. And of course most UFO's are birds, drones, etc.

Just like ghosts, still nobody can get a good pic

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2021, 02:48:26 am »
Maybe the military are looking at new ways to acquire funding....?  Make a plan, get a few pilots on board, set up some scenarios and run some out-of-focus video then turn to congress for a modest budget in a two-step process.  (As well as getting some money up front, it is important to groom your audience so they are in a more receptive frame of mind for really "big" news.)  Use that funding for the construction of a Cecil B. DeMille epic to score the big bucks.  Maybe this could end up seeing the Strategic Defense Initiative revitalised and the Star Wars weapons realised - so that we can defend ourselves from "alien attack".

Here's a question:  What is the distribution of these Unidentified Aerial Phenomena around the world?

Offline AlbertL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2021, 04:21:56 pm »
There are too many pieces that just don't add up.  If military aviators are seeing these objects routinely in a well-defined geographic area (with restricted flight access), wouldn't someone have eventually escalated the issue as a safety or national-security concern?  At that point, there are a lot of resources that could have been brought to bear on the investigation - specialized military equipment and personnel, civilian agencies like NASA and NOAA that have planes and ships with all kinds of cameras and sensors, FAA radar, spy satellites, etc. 

We should be seeing a lot more than blobs on low-res IR video.  How about time-synchronized observations from multiple platforms and sensors?

Supposedly these objects have approached Navy planes at such close range that pilots have gotten photos showing surface texture.  Where are those pics?   

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2021, 04:40:36 pm »
It is easy to say "bring people and specialized equipment". People do not work for free, equipment cost money. It has to be a project with a justification, budget, planning, all at minimum 1 year in advance. What are your chances to instantiate such project? Projects have Requirements , Objectives, Business Case, yada yada yada. And what chances are that the phenomenon is going to be still observed when the project starts a year from now. Who wants to be accountable for the deliverables and what the deliverables are in the first place?
It is need to be understood how big organizations work. Building a solar roadway would be more attractive to one than trying to find a black cat in the dark room.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2021, 05:08:32 pm »
Supposedly these objects have approached Navy planes at such close range that pilots have gotten photos showing surface texture.  Where are those pics?

And that really leads to an interesting question in my mind. What would be the type of picture that would lead to a determination of it being an extraterrestrial craft? Can any picture (or video) convince any rational person of that? Or would it require the actual craft being in a hanger?  :-//

Offline AlbertL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2021, 05:33:00 pm »
And that really leads to an interesting question in my mind. What would be the type of picture that would lead to a determination of it being an extraterrestrial craft? Can any picture (or video) convince any rational person of that? Or would it require the actual craft being in a hanger?  :-//

At this point, given the poor quality of the images we've seen so far, I'd be thrilled just to see a photo which shows that the UAPs are physical, artificial objects, regardless of their possible origin.

Offline AlbertL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2021, 06:15:39 pm »
It is easy to say "bring people and specialized equipment". People do not work for free, equipment cost money. It has to be a project with a justification, budget, planning, all at minimum 1 year in advance. What are your chances to instantiate such project? Projects have Requirements , Objectives, Business Case, yada yada yada. And what chances are that the phenomenon is going to be still observed when the project starts a year from now. Who wants to be accountable for the deliverables and what the deliverables are in the first place?
It is need to be understood how big organizations work. Building a solar roadway would be more attractive to one than trying to find a black cat in the dark room.

On the other hand, the military and intelligence services - as well as some civilian agencies - are supposed to be ready to respond quickly to possible national-security threats and other emergencies.  They should have resources ready to deploy.  And since the UAPs are seen frequently, there's a good chance of catching them - it's not like they'd be mobilizing a team for a one-time event.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 06:51:36 pm by AlbertL »

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2021, 04:13:31 am »
Fran is fully sucked into the rabbit hole now.

*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline AlbertL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2021, 06:25:27 pm »
Again, if UAPs are such a concern to the military that they established a dedicated office to study them, why didn't they throw a full range of sensing technologies at the problem.  Heck, a California highway inspector in his pickup with a Polaroid got better photos in 1965 than we're seeing today: https://www.ocregister.com/2009/10/30/ocs-moment-in-ufo-history/.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2021, 01:07:41 am »
Again, if UAPs are such a concern to the military that they established a dedicated office to study them, why didn't they throw a full range of sensing technologies at the problem.  Heck, a California highway inspector in his pickup with a Polaroid got better photos in 1965 than we're seeing today: https://www.ocregister.com/2009/10/30/ocs-moment-in-ufo-history/.

Watch the video, that's what they plan on doing. The whole reason we have crappy pictures is the systems are not designed to take pretty pictures. All they are designed to do is make sure you = alive, enemy = dead. As long as they can do that sufficiently, any additional funtionality would have been a waste of lots of money and pointless. Untill now when we are acknowledging a potential new threat that requires better equipment.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2021, 01:18:58 am »

Watch the video, that's what they plan on doing. The whole reason we have crappy pictures is the systems are not designed to take pretty pictures. All they are designed to do is make sure you = alive, enemy = dead. As long as they can do that sufficiently, any additional funtionality would have been a waste of lots of money and pointless. Untill now when we are acknowledging a potential new threat that requires better equipment.

oh I don't know, reconnaissance is pretty important to the military. good pictures mean you get good assets. the problem is they switched to satellites for the most part because I assume on the whole it comes out cheaper and faster, at least for a cold war mentality. they should send a U2 or sr71 after it, i think they have top end optics
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 01:21:46 am by coppercone2 »

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2021, 05:38:41 am »

Because until aliens came along the military never had use for high quality photography.  |O

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2021, 06:53:36 am »
Yes...let's launch a high altitude recon plane to go look at that UFO. After we've donned our pressure suits and done the massive pre-flight checklist...aaaand it's gone...mission abort. :palm:

The whole point is to get better equipment on average planes to capture things as soon as they are spotted.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2021, 11:48:08 am »
There ARE aliens among us and the US government knows it. Just get off a plane from another country and go through US Customs. There is a sign of a queue there marked "Aliens".

Seriously, there is and never has been any evidence of any life from any other planet in the universe besides on Earth. No radio transmissions, no nothing. I believe we are alone until I see a scrap of evidence to the contrary. If we are alone in the universe, that would be far more fantastic than if we were not alone.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2021, 12:25:26 pm »
Fermi Paradox.

iratus parum formica

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2021, 12:28:07 pm »
I recon its just a ploy to get more money pumped into there budget, they've just about  worn out  the terrorism card  that has kept  then  going  since  the cold war meal ticket  threat disappeared and need to invent a something new to raise a few quid.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2021, 12:54:56 pm »
The first question I ask is why are the majority of UFO's seen by Americans over or near US soil. Why is the rest of the world of not so much interest to these aliens, surely the Russians. chinese and UK/ Europeans are of similar interest.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2021, 01:04:07 pm »
maybe usa already has what most people say is a ridiculous budget so the optics on other warplanes and radar resolutions and stuff are not good enough?

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2021, 01:12:14 pm »
The best optics come from Germany and are fitted to UK planes. perhaps it's cheap Chines optics on US planes.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2021, 01:48:27 pm »
I'm more interested in the reason why the Pentagon released the alleged UFO videos. If they don't have experts able to analyze the videos then it would be quite embarrassing. Ducks, focus issues, triangular iris, scheduled flights, misinterpretation of thermal images and so on don't require rocket science.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2021, 01:54:00 pm »
I'm more interested in the reason why the Pentagon released the alleged UFO videos. If they don't have experts able to analyze the videos then it would be quite embarrassing. Ducks, focus issues, triangular iris, scheduled flights, misinterpretation of thermal images and so on don't require rocket science.

My thinking would be to create a smokescreen in order to hide what is really out there. My betting is there is a next generation stealth or spy plane plane.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2021, 02:15:54 pm »
My betting is there is a next generation stealth or spy plane plane.
paid for by the budget set up to research ufo's

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2021, 12:14:54 am »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2021, 09:52:21 am »
In 1947 a balloon, part of the US Project Mogul, crashed some miles north of the town of Roswell.  To cover up the secret project to detect Russian A-bomb testing, the purpose behind Project Mogul, they went with a cover story about UFO's.  Almost immediately they realized the mistake as that only increased the attention so they came up with another smoke screen, albeit a more plausible one, that it was a weather balloon.  Nearly 75 years later the town of Roswell is pretty much a UFO theme park.

My guess is that the US Navy is testing some new kit and they want people that might see something to jump to the conclusion they'd prefer. 

In the video's released months ago one of them was pretty clearly a bird on a thermal camera and another video appeared to be a fighter plane distant enough that the image was barely identifiable.  The US has had cameras in planes for a century and thermal cameras for 50 years, give-or-take, and they have people trained and qualified to analyze that footage.  I find it unlikely in the extreme that they are unaware of what it is in those clips.

So, cover story!

Brian

The following users thanked this post: G7PSK

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2021, 04:43:09 pm »
In 1947 a balloon, part of the US Project Mogul, crashed some miles north of the town of Roswell.  To cover up the secret project to detect Russian A-bomb testing, the purpose behind Project Mogul, they went with a cover story about UFO's.  Almost immediately they realized the mistake as that only increased the attention so they came up with another smoke screen, albeit a more plausible one, that it was a weather balloon.  Nearly 75 years later the town of Roswell is pretty much a UFO theme park.

That is exactly what they want you to think.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2021, 09:07:10 pm »
Is this why the UFO' tapes were released, they want people who might see the SR72 to think its a ufo.
https://youtu.be/DjKwpMZanns

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2021, 10:00:01 am »
"they want people who might see the SR72 to think its a ufo."

It can't do the silent hovering, or the 90 deg. turns. :)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2021, 03:07:32 pm »
Is this why the UFO' tapes were released, they want people who might see the SR72 to think its a ufo.

The specific type doesn't matter much. There's always some secret next gen plane or whatever to hide.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2021, 03:18:12 pm »
In all this controversy, I have seen very little discussion about hoaxes.
In the late '60s, attending college in Minnesota, my dorm floor developed a recipe for hot-air balloon UFOs involving dry cleaning bags, balsa wood, and birthday candles.  In the cold night air on a clear night, these objects were the only yellow light in the sky, and we found an article in the local newspaper that the town police department had chased one of them.  As objects, they were unidentified and flying.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2021, 05:05:54 pm »
I'm more interested in the reason why the Pentagon released ...

Follow the money trail.

Military industrial complex suffers from inflation too, especially the fed keeps printing at berserk mode, meaning ... moar money for defense budget !!!  :-DD

Offline Homer J Simpson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2021, 04:01:17 am »

Interesting video on the research the Germans were doing on flying disk type craft during WWII.

The engineers involved and how the projects were managed.

Then the continued research after WWII.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2021, 10:19:27 pm »
I think it's a red herring making something saucer shaped with propellers inside and then trying to get it to fly, the real flying saucers and other shapes don't work that way, and they're usually silent. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf