Author Topic: Noisy office chair.  (Read 10597 times)

Offline steve30Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
Noisy office chair.
« on: April 28, 2018, 10:19:52 pm »
I got a Humanscale Diffrient World chair back in 2015. Its nice and comfortable, but it is extremely noisy.

I put a video on YouTube to demonstrate the noise. Does anyone have any ideas on how to quieten it?

steve30.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Re: Noisy office chair.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 10:31:08 pm »
I've bought a lot of office chairs over the years, spending anywhere from $80 to $400, and every one of them turned out to be garbage.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 11:13:45 pm »
Wow, that would annoy the hell out of me! :scared:

One thing you could try is to impregnate all the crevices with glycerol.
I am proposing glycerol in favor of mineral oil, because it is water soluble, so it does not permanently stain your clothes if you happen to apply it a bit too generously. :)
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 11:34:22 pm »
I personally would never notice this. I have a fairly cheap office chair, so squeaks and noises happen, but I don't tend to move around much while sitting down (as normally the point of my sitting down is to do nothing for extended periods of time)

I also use headphones, so these sorts of noises don't affect me as much. Perhaps you could live to ignore it.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 11:58:54 pm »
Does anyone have any ideas on how to quieten it?

Send it to  TwoOfFive!
He would't notice it, he uses headphones, and he doesn't move around too much and if all else fails, he can get used to living with it.

For plastic creaky sounds, dishwashing liquid, or talk powder  sometimes works depending on ...well...everything :)

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 12:17:54 am »
I've bought a lot of office chairs over the years, spending anywhere from $80 to $400, and every one of them turned out to be garbage.
You can't buy a decent office chair for that kind of money. I always buy the (real) professional grade second hand ones which cost like $1000 when new. Forget about the crap they sell at Staples or Ikea.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 02:12:55 am »
You can't buy a decent office chair for that kind of money. I always buy the (real) professional grade second hand ones which cost like $1000 when new. Forget about the crap they sell at Staples or Ikea.
Why are very good chairs so expensive? Maybe it's time for April Wilkerson and/or Laura Kampf to design an open source version that can be built using common woodworking tools.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 02:30:16 am »
I bought a few Ikea 'Flintan' chairs. They are completely silent and move with a nice fluid motion. Reasonably comfortable for a cheap chair, even after sitting for long periods.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 03:41:55 am »
Does anyone have any ideas on how to quieten it?

Send it to  TwoOfFive!
He would't notice it, he uses headphones, and he doesn't move around too much and if all else fails, he can get used to living with it.

For plastic creaky sounds, dishwashing liquid, or talk powder  sometimes works depending on ...well...everything :)

Lol, it's a bit of a pedantic thing to say. I'd say I agree with the glycerol guy if it's all plastic rubbing on plastic (which it sounds like). The bonus is that when the chair inevitably fall apart, you have a nice candy coated disassembly and recycling process.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 03:25:04 pm »
Mine does the same thing, but it hasn't quite hit the tolerance levels for me to do something about.

I was thinking of just covering the adjustment clutches in a plastic bag and hitting the chair with PTFE spray.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 03:25:36 pm »
I do have various sources of noise in here, so its not noticeable all the time. However, I do notice it a lot when everything is quiet.

It might be worth contacting the manufacturer, but as an engineering type, I was wondering if a squirt of grease in the right place might be easier  :-/O.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 04:04:40 pm »
I just readjusted mine and it seemed to stop it - at least temporarily.  This leads me to think the noise is coming primarily from the adjustment clutches micro slipping.
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 04:11:47 pm »
All the office chairs that I have ever had the misfortune to come across have played havoc with my back. I had to sit on one for an hour and a half last week for a meeting. The next day I could hardly move and it took three days for the effect to wear off. That was the first time I had to use such a chair for several years, i avoid them like the plague they are. Who ever designs them should be sat in one for the rest of their life.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 04:28:56 pm »
Why are very good chairs so expensive?
Quality materials. Real office chairs need to be designed to have someone sit on them for like 8 to 10 hours per work day for 10 years or more.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 05:05:52 pm »
Slightly OT but since we have the mighty crowd of chair enthusiasts gathered here: What model // manufacturer can you recommend leaving the price aside for the moment.

I am looking for a decent chair for my new workbench and was thinking Miller Aeron for a while now - Suggestions welcome :)

Edit: I saw, that this will conclude my 666th post here on the forums!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 05:19:29 pm by frozenfrogz »
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 05:11:47 pm »
The three biggest flaws I've found (almost invariably) in the cheaper* chairs:

1. Poor quality/insufficient cushioning (feels fine at first, but you often begin to "bottom out" within a month or so).
2. Pneumatic adjustment fails (gas lift becomes leaky and will not hold position).
3. Noisy, loud creaking and popping sounds with every movement.

* Apparently $400 is still considered cheap?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 06:32:43 pm »
I just bought a Serta Jennings Big and Tall Manager chair, regularly $329 USD at Office Depot on sale for $229 USD.  Dead quiet and a very comfortable chair for one sold by a mattress company.  We will see how it holds up as I am both big and tall.  Most big and tall chairs, I find, don't adjust down low enough.  I have very short legs for my height.  This is the first big and tall chair that adjusts low enough that I am not sliding to the end of the chair to put my feet flat on the floor.  I would love to have a Herman Miller Aeron but even if I could afford a 2nd hand chair, the weight limit won't work.  I buy what fits my weight and replace as I need.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 06:56:33 pm »
My last chair purchased was okay until a weld broke a couple of weeks ago. I'm back to using its predecessor, which is noisy and has a gas lift that's not trustworthy. There's an Office Depot a few miles up the Interstate, I may have to go check out that Serta.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 08:29:15 pm »
Slightly OT but since we have the mighty crowd of chair enthusiasts gathered here: What model // manufacturer can you recommend leaving the price aside for the moment.
Usually the big brands you find in an office: Ahrend, Dauphin, etc. My current chair is a Dauphin. When I need a new chair I go to an office supplies store which has a huge amount of used chairs. I tell the sales guy I won't leave without a chair but my ass is doing the shopping today so he shouldn't expect a meaningfull conversation  >:D

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Electro Detective

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 08:35:31 pm »
  I tell the sales guy I won't leave without a chair but my ass is doing the shopping today so he shouldn't expect a meaningfull conversation  >:D

:-DD

"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2018, 10:37:15 pm »

...When I need a new chair I go to an office supplies store which has a huge amount of used chairs.

I tell the sales guy I won't leave without a chair but my ass is doing the shopping today so he shouldn't expect a meaningfull conversation
  >:D

:-DD  Giggle Of The Month Winner!  :clap:

In the office supplies shop, once I've chased off any chatty coffeeholic/ice snorting salestards  :blah: or cranky old meathead that thinks I'm an easy Mark,
I sit on the most expensive overpriced corporat target market models, and the weirdo fugly shaped ergonomic ones  :palm:,
then hit on the cheapies till I score a good one that supports the lower back with little to no upward pressure on the back of the thighs,
that feels comfortable, supportive and relaxing. 

You would be surprised how good some of the cheapies are, ranging in price from $25 AUS to $100, and don't forget sales clearouts
and scratch and dent to get a one-off floor stock bargain that may need some TLC and a dust off

If you assemble a new boxed chair slowly, carefully and properly, lubing screws and friction parts along the way with WD-40 brushed on and working it in, you should have absolutely NO PROBLEMS for years 

A pack of cheap different sized metal washers can improve things too, to help screws and bolts seat better and behave

My current chair is awesome, it cost me $5 at a Vinnies opportunity shop which I spotted during a donation dropoff

After a dust off, disassembly, lube and re-assembly it works like a champ, I can sit on it all day without any issue or fatigue

It was probably some $666 ratass CEO's chair that squeeked once during a BS meeting, got tossed into the dumpster (unfortunately without the CEO attached) 
a passer by yanked it out, used it for a while, then donated it to Vinnies

Anyways, it's good for 10 years or more  :-+ and a challenge to find one better

Guys, get the chair business down pat if your butt is parked on one all day,
why blow money and lost productivity via health issues caused by bad posture and support down the track,
when a few hours of effort shopping wisely and proper assembly NOW can save you all that ?  :phew:

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2018, 10:40:19 pm »
Have you tried putting a big ferrite bead around it, steve30?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2018, 11:03:01 pm »
steve30, I think the easiest and fast fix path is a can of dry lube spray

It should sort that out if the chair can't be disassembled without grief to pack some light grease in there to get rid of the creaking

It's a few minutes work every year or so if you use the spray on dry lube, which is the stuff used for seized car and door locks too btw

Anyway, good luck with it and if you go the ferrite bead route as suggested, make sure your door opening is sufficient   ;D

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 09:42:13 am »
In my experience, a good chair starts at around 700 Euro
Never look for good chairs in office supply stores, they all suck, no matter how much they cost.

I have been using  BIMOS chairs for the lab and the office.
Look for "clean room industrial chairs", they are usually of very high quality.
https://www.bimos.com/B/ch-de/news/2688/arbeitsstuehle-in-der-industrie---der-perfekte-industriestuhl

Sometimes you can find them used for very low prices.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: frozenfrogz

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 09:46:36 pm »
In my experience, a good chair starts at around 700 Euro
Never look for good chairs in office supply stores, they all suck, no matter how much they cost.
You have to specify that a little bit further. Stores like Staples and Ikea won't have good chairs but the companies which are office furniture dealers will have the good stuff. The shop I go to is basically an office furniture dealer but they also carry office supplies (don't ask me why but apparantly it helps not to be forgotten by their customers).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 11:25:03 pm »
$700 Euros?   :o

Most chairs in OfficeWorks over here get pretty good at the $70 mark, up to $300+

Some of their cheapies under 70 can be pretty good too if the seat sponge is generous and you can live without arm rests

and I've found out the hard way that no arm rests are better than badly designed ones  :--

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 11:51:44 pm »
Re trying to quieten the chair, I would try some carbon graphite paste, it is used to stop carbon fibre bike frames from creaking - esp where the seat post enters the frame - a high-end bike shop will have some. Failing that I would try some silicon spray lubricant.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 06:27:03 am »
Re trying to quieten the chair, I would try some carbon graphite paste, it is used to stop carbon fibre bike frames from creaking - esp where the seat post enters the frame - a high-end bike shop will have some. Failing that I would try some silicon spray lubricant.

I'd be wary of using a lubricant on the adjustment clutches, if the chair has them.  They are just dry metal plates compressed together with a spring.  In the case of my chair it was the clutches slipping that caused the noise.  Adding lubricant to them may cause them to slip a lot more and destroy the adjustment of the chair.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2018, 12:36:40 am »
is steve30 still with us?    :-// 

Hoping he hasn't had a mishap trying to sort out the chair with the advice offered,

slipped and laying on the floor waiting for paramedics and news reporters to rock up

:D

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2018, 01:28:15 am »
Maybe, while choking the chair, he accidentally ended up in the ferrite-bead himself. ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2018, 02:09:57 am »
Maybe, while choking the chair, he accidentally ended up in the ferrite-bead himself. ;D

yeah, it happens, those jumbo bead click on clamps are a pain to get off sometimes,
need to speak to the leather clad little lady next time for other bed time options   >:D

Offline Ducttape

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2018, 12:41:10 pm »
After 4 or 5 office chairs over the years that were quiet only during the first 6 months of use I finally got this cheapo Nadler model. I was specifically looking for a chair with only up/down and swivel movement. And little or no plastic near where things move.

After a couple of years it is still quiet. Of course it is no longer available since management must have gotten wind of this lack of integrated obsolescence. Someone probably lost their job over this one.

Until companies figure out how to force a 'subscribe' model onto chair customers they'll just have to stick with the noise feature to spur continued sales.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2018, 01:18:14 pm »
is steve30 still with us?    :-// 

Hoping he hasn't had a mishap trying to sort out the chair with the advice offered,

slipped and laying on the floor waiting for paramedics and news reporters to rock up

:D

I'm still here :). I've been following the topic, but just haven't replied.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'll try and obtain some lubricants and see how I get on with that.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2018, 01:32:25 pm »
Until companies figure out how to force a 'subscribe' model onto chair customers they'll just have to stick with the noise feature to spur continued sales.
Historically, I think that's called rental.

The modern twist would be to add a legal mandate for some existing federal police agency to break down your door and yank it out from under your @ss when the payment is late.  :o Just bribe a few politicians, and voila! New and improved version of an existing business model. :-DD

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2018, 02:48:08 pm »
At my last office, the chairs they bought were $1200 Giroflex chairs. (Swiss made, so probably similar quality to an $800-1000 made-in-USA chair.) Maybe not the very best bang for buck, but comfortable, durable, and quiet. A good office chair is not to be underestimated. (Same goes for any other item even distantly related to ergonomics, like desks, keyboards, lamps, etc.)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2018, 07:40:06 pm »
At my last office, the chairs they bought were $1200 Giroflex chairs. (Swiss made, so probably similar quality to an $800-1000 made-in-USA chair.) Maybe not the very best bang for buck, but comfortable, durable, and quiet. A good office chair is not to be underestimated. (Same goes for any other item even distantly related to ergonomics, like desks, keyboards, lamps, etc.)

The cheapest nod to ergonomics I have are a pair of Anker vertical mice.  One is on my docked company laptop and the other on my main computer.  About $20 USD each and much more comfortable to use with my arthritic hands than a standard mouse.  They are funny looking, though.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2018, 12:32:50 am »
You can actually use these?  :wtf:

You have to be a monster! :scared:

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2018, 03:21:33 am »
It does look strange but it fits my hand perfectly.  Then again, I do wear a size 13 wedding ring. :-DD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2018, 09:03:03 pm »
Finally an update on the noisy office chair. I bought two products to try. One is Electrolube Dry Film Lubricant, and the other is 3-in-one brand Which lithium grease, both in aerosol cans.

I put some of the dry film lubricant on the moving plastic parts, and the grease on the metal parts (the rails where the seat moves in and out). I'm pleased to say this seems to have cured it, and my chair is now more or less silent!  8).

I think the grease on the metal rails tackled most of the noise.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline CopperCone

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2018, 12:32:40 am »
Ugh, that will accumulate dust. My chair was fixed for some reason by putting castor oil on the interface between the bolts and the wooden bottom  :-// I don't know if it soaked into the wood and tightened the fit or what. Had to do it every 3 months or so. Otherwise it would fucking shriek.

If you have a chair that uses wood and screws/bolts that go into it, I recommend soaking the area around the bolts with water, letting it absorb and then using linseed oil to seal it (like a hammer head or a barrel)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 12:36:16 am by CopperCone »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2018, 04:11:10 am »
My one chair that squeaked was fixed by using a welder to repair the cracked steel plates of the base, and then painting and oiling the rest of it. Seeing as it is around 40 years old, having fatigue was not exactly unexpected, as I got it on an auction a long time ago. The other I ust put a drop of oil and some grease on the swivel point every so often, as the original grease they used is both mostly turned to powder, and also was there in such a minimal amount that 1 small 50g tube would likely have done 500 chairs. I used some nice stringy axle grease blended with black moly loaded CV joint grease, as it will stick to anything ( including PTFE) and is a really good low speed lubricant, though it is stringy and tacky forever. Would use fork lift chain grease but have none to hand, that stuff really sticks, but as it quickly gets a dust coat it is not sticky in use.

With plastic parts dry chain lube for bicycles works well, it both is clear and generally does not harm plastic, though you will have to be careful in application, as it is like glue in it's ability to attach to surfaces.

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2018, 02:27:38 pm »
The cheapest nod to ergonomics I have are a pair of Anker vertical mice.  One is on my docked company laptop and the other on my main computer.  About $20 USD each and much more comfortable to use with my arthritic hands than a standard mouse.  They are funny looking, though.
Any that have a tilt wheel? Horizontal scrolling is something I use quite a bit.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2018, 10:44:22 pm »
Any that have a tilt wheel? Horizontal scrolling is something I use quite a bit.

The one that I have does have a tilt wheel.  I don't ever use it but it is there.  There are also forward and back buttons that I do use.  These aren't made for small hands.  There is a company that makes vertical mice, Evoluent and they come in different sizes.  They are expensive, about $90 USD, but they come in small, medium and large.  I didn't look into it enough to see if they have tilt wheels.  My hands are quite large so the Anker works for me.  It doesn't work for Mrs GreyWoolfe.  I bought one of the 2 for her but her hands are too small so she gave it back to me.  I will probably pick up a 3rd for my ham radio computer just because it feels so good to use compared to a regular mouse.  Then maybe a 4th for the workbench but I would have to change out my regular KVM switch for a USB KVM switch to make it work.

Offline AndersonJoan

• !
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2021, 09:41:38 am »
Wow, that would annoy the hell out of me! :scared:

One thing you could try is to impregnate all the crevices with glycerol.
I am proposing glycerol in favor of mineral oil, because it is water soluble, so it does not permanently stain your clothes if you happen to apply it a bit too generously. :)
you can try to change the shock absorbers

Offline humbertomcneary

• !
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2021, 01:10:10 pm »
I tried different things to make my chair stop making any noise, but it just doesn't help.

Offline WandaX

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2021, 06:04:09 pm »
I hate that noise. I used to sit on a squeaky chair at my old office, and I was afraid to make a move on it. All my co-workers were also complaining about that annoying squeaky noise. But I couldn’t sit still for the whole day. I also have to change my position to feel more comfortable or stand up and go somewhere. I’ve got tired of hearing all those complaints all the time, and it becomes really annoying. I tried to convince my manager to replace my squeaky chair, but he refused. I had no other choice except to pay for a new chair with my own money. Luckily, I found a stylish and comfortable chair on furnicraft-ae.com It wasn’t that expensive, so I do not regret that I gave my own money for it. Besides, I can take it home just in case.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 08:30:21 am by WandaX »

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2021, 06:12:56 pm »
Warning:  This thread has already grown maggots.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf