Author Topic: Oh nice! Keysight offered me a calendar! (or not)  (Read 4771 times)

Offline ivan747Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Oh nice! Keysight offered me a calendar! (or not)
« on: November 12, 2014, 12:32:17 pm »
Wait  |O nope... they want to spam me
Sure, I could have got a free calendar (I actually wanted it), but I need a registered business, a purchasing department and plans to buy some of their stuff so they can have some guy calling me over the phone to convince me to make my entire (fictional) company to change their test gear grrrrrrr...  |O They even ask you what kind of equipment you're planning to buy, when, and your budget and stuff.

Why do they even offer it to me if I as a student can't get it!? I'm pretty sure I registered as a student or something like that! It doesn't even cost that much to send a bit of paper over traditional mail  :(

Offline Monittosan

• Regular Contributor
Re: Oh nice! Keysight offered me a calendar! (or not)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 01:27:04 pm »
nice calendar what's stopping you from asking them directly via email?
I'm sure someone would be kind enough to send you one surely? :-//

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 01:29:31 pm »
Why do you care? It's a cheap calendar they offer out to entice people to buy their equipment.
You don't automatically deserve it, even if they give it away for free to others. What's with the entitlement here?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 01:35:11 pm »
Why do you care? It's a cheap calendar they offer out to entice people to buy their equipment.
You don't automatically deserve it, even if they give it away for free to others. What's with the entitlement here?

Don't go knocking on my door, so that when I answer you tell me "oh... we were about to give you this cool magazine about pets but you don't seem to have pets and probably you never wil,l you boring man"

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 01:36:26 pm »
nice calendar what's stopping you from asking them directly via email?
I'm sure someone would be kind enough to send you one surely? :-//

Yeah, I'm gonna fill their web form and hope they don't call, because frankly, I cannot afford 98% of the stuff they sell.

I actually had an awkward email exchange with altium about 3 years ago back in high school. I was asking for a trial on altium designer, and of course... they wanted to talk to my profesor or lab assistant at the college I was enrolled into   :-X

Update:
yep, just filled the form right now. In theory it should arrive in a month... Let's hope it doesn't get awkward from now on...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 01:44:43 pm by ivan747 »

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 02:07:30 pm »
Lol. Sell your soul for a calendar?

I think agilent might cut you a deal as student if you ask. I never did.

I remember ordering some soldering tips from element14, and getting sales person ringing me up the next day. I explained that I was a student and not likely to buy anything soon.

I also remember emailing a company regarding a starter kit, hoping to get a discount using my student email.
Rather than give me a price, they too wanted to know contact details for teaching staff. This was for personal interest, using my own money, so i ended up walking away from that project. I suspect the administrative cost wouldnt justify jumping through hoops.

On the other hand, I think if you write education/hobby/personal in the company you might avoid the unwanted call backs.

n45048

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 07:31:36 pm »
Yeah, I'm gonna fill their web form and hope they don't call
Could you just fill out the form with fictitious information (except for address of course)?

This might help: http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Consumer-info/All-about-numbers/Special-numbers/fictitious-numbers-for-radio-film-and-television-i-acma

Because people like free crap.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 07:36:53 pm by Halon »

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 08:28:16 pm »
On the other hand, the extremely aggressive salesmen are incredibly annoying and an enormous waste of time - you buy something for 10 euro and someone cold calls your boss and tries to upsell the bewildered (and completely clueless about why they are being called) person for a few thousands of euro of gear, software, services or what have you that we neither need nor want.

Putting fake information in the forms won't help - I had a company call us because they found our info on our website, based on the company name in the shipping address ...

It is really getting out of hand.

Offline albert22

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 10:59:51 pm »
Dear albert,
As a loyal Agilent electronic measurement customer, we welcome you to join us on the journey as we move forward as Keysight Technologies. Our goal is to help you get the key measurement insights you need to inspire your next innovation. We call those moments of inspiration "Aha! moments."

Since the very first day that Agilent become Keysight they started to spam me several times a week. It seems that with the new name they started a very aggressive marketing strategy.
I wonder how I became a "loyal" customer by only downloading old service manuals?
What a cheap lure to get your data :--.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 11:26:48 pm »
I have one on the way. Several posters about wifi, MIPI and such are hanging in my room from Agilent. I give all legit information, except for the phone number. I can deal with pushiness in all forms except when its by cell.

I made the mistake of giving an injection molding fab my phone no#... got calls for 2 months.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 01:01:02 am »
I have one on the way. Several posters about wifi, MIPI and such are hanging in my room from Agilent. I give all legit information, except for the phone number. I can deal with pushiness in all forms except when its by cell.

I made the mistake of giving an injection molding fab my phone no#... got calls for 2 months.

Then you're just like me, exactly.
Well, it's pretty easy NOT to answer an international phone number. And I'm very confident Keysight does not have an office in Dominican Republic.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 05:14:54 am »
The year is coming to an end, and those companies and sales clowns who didn't make their numbers until now start getting pushy. "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts" or you end up in the sales funnel as a prospect. The good news is the aggressive advertising will start to dry down in January.

Having a PABX with a blacklist at home is a godsend. This is the time of the year where we traditionally have the highest number of new additions to the list.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 11:44:46 am »
The year is coming to an end, and those companies and sales clowns who didn't make their numbers until now start getting pushy. "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts" or you end up in the sales funnel as a prospect. The good news is the aggressive advertising will start to dry down in January.

Having a PABX with a blacklist at home is a godsend. This is the time of the year where we traditionally have the highest number of new additions to the list.

They'll have to pay quite a bit to their telecom provider if they want to call my cellphone :P.Oh, an I also missed the 1 in front of the 1-829-xxx-xxxx, so no auto dialing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf