Author Topic: Old electronics shops in Melbourne: what's there today (video)  (Read 22803 times)

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
Re: Old electronics shops in Melbourne: what's there today (video)
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2019, 04:11:23 am »
I rang them up and I found out they have to clear the building by mid Sept. And the $1 on Facebook marketplace is a placeholder price. Not being a FB user I didn't know if there was a listing that opens up to people who signon. I asked about the price of TTL chips and was give a vague about half price answer. 

Not so inclined to drive over to Croydon just yet.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2019, 04:34:04 am »
Absolutely no more info on FB, just what you see. I'll wait as well to see if we get any reports from anyone who has gone to check it out.
Wonder if they've done a deal with Rocky (or similar) to pick it all up.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2019, 05:45:46 am »
Wonder if they've done a deal with Rocky (or similar) to pick it all up.

I was wondering the exact same thing today. Nearly rang Rockby to find out. It might pay to wait until the last day and park your car around the back with the boot open. Or maybe not.

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2019, 09:24:57 am »
And if only SHMBO would sit behind the wheel....

Offline vk3yedotcomTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2019, 09:39:11 am »
Went in today.

Lots of stuff. Including lots of variable capacitors, panel meters, trimmer capacitors, RF ICs & transistors, circuit boards etc.

Be prepared to work to find stuff - boxes under boxes.

Trading for about a month - judging from the sold sign the shop building been sold.

They take offers but if you make an outrageous offer be prepared to have to raise it. 
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2019, 10:05:44 pm »
I had almost forgotten about Rockby, hadn’t been there in years.   I has a squiz at their web site.... geez, I can save heaps on parts I use for some systems I repair....making a list now!

Just a question.... I assume there legit parts!  Like 80C32 CPU?

It’s so difficult in electronic backwaters it’s usually either RS/E14 or eBay.  Melbourne used to be a design hub with companies like Varian Techtron with Royal soldering.

Royal is now cheap junk.  I still use the old stuff, have quite a few (many) de-solder resistance solder stations irons and tips. Sad to see it go to the dogs.

Sent using iPhone
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2019, 11:29:51 pm »
Quote from: wasyoungonce
I had almost forgotten about Rockby, hadn’t been there in years.   I has a squiz at their web site.... geez, I can save heaps on parts I use for some systems I repair....making a list now!
It’s so difficult in electronic backwaters it’s usually either RS/E14 or eBay.  Melbourne used to be a design hub with companies like Varian Techtron with Royal soldering.
Royal is now cheap junk.  I still use the old stuff, have quite a few (many) de-solder resistance solder stations irons and tips. Sad to see it go to the dogs. 
Yep, all their stuff is from ex-stock manufacturers, mainly from Melbourne. As you say, there used to be dozens and dozens in SE Melb so many years ago.
I used to look after / assist / contract to HUGE assembly places ... long time ago. Actually, Rocky is expanding, stuff from Truscotts? coincidence?
Stoopid me, I gave away a few carloads of electronic parts several months ago, I should have donated it to them. Now I have service work back, I have to buy it all again .. oh well.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

The following users thanked this post: wasyoungonce

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2019, 02:48:55 am »
Quote from: wasyoungonce
Yep, all their stuff is from ex-stock manufacturers, mainly from Melbourne. As you say, there used to be dozens and dozens in SE Melb so many years ago.
I used to look after / assist / contract to HUGE assembly places ... long time ago. Actually, Rocky is expanding, stuff from Truscotts? coincidence?
Stoopid me, I gave away a few carloads of electronic parts several months ago, I should have donated it to them. Now I have service work back, I have to buy it all again .. oh well.

Not sure if Rockby is expanding. They might be doing it tough as home brew and the electronics industry is dying in Australia. We have to give them 10/10 for staying around, having a great range of parts and being a terrific company to deal with. We should be buying from them as a preference. For a start, their prices are usually cheaper than elsewhere and they are a real electronics store, not a Dick Smith/Jaycar toy store. If we don't support Rockby, we will be sorry if they have to close one day. Incidentally, I have found some of their prices for relays to be cheaper than anywhere else cheaper than Digikey, Mouser, RS, Element 14, Altronics, Jaycar and anywhere else.

FOOTNOTE: I visited Rockby a few weeks ago and the guys mentioned they had not seen a regular named Trevor Patterson for some time, like he had gone off the map. I did some research and found out Trevor had passed away in late 2017. Trevor was a well known electronics techo in Melbourne. I had the pleasure of working with him in the early 2000's at Tennyson Technologies. I believe he hailed from the PMG/Telecom Australia. We became friends for some years afterwards but lost contact in the last few years. Trevor was a brilliant passive RF filter designer - everything from cavities to PCB mounted filters of all types and he ran a business designing, building and selling special RF filters. He wrote a book on RF filter design. I proofread the draft about 10 years ago. It was brilliant. The book was interesting, and very practical. I don't know if he got it published. Maybe someone else knows, because it would be a best seller for anyone interested in RF filter design and manufacture.

The following users thanked this post: digsys

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2019, 01:53:27 am »
Anyone been to Truscotts recently? Is it still open or has it shut the doors for good now?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2019, 02:52:42 am »
Only recent mention I've seen was a message on a Facebook group. Still going a few days ago. Have a couple of weeks apparently.
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2019, 06:07:26 am »
I went down to Rockby today and the parts cabinets from Truscotts were there and have been for a few weeks. I would have bet actual money that would happen.
They would probably only be interesting to people looking for spares for servicing older stuff. I would hazard a guess at 50 cabinets. The old metal style popular in australia 30 years ago.

If you know the clearance area then it is looking a bit like what Truscotts looked like when I went a few years ago.

I did see a few trays of second hand stepper motors from what I would guess was big datacenter lineprinters. $5ea. I'll attach a photo of one of the trays of the bigger ones.
And a couple example photos of the parts.

Has Truscott's finally shut up shop?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2019, 07:25:56 am »
I used to jump a train from Warragul well over thirty (closer to 40) years ago with a few mates and do over most of the suspects in the Melbourne CBD. Those plus the Model Dockyard and Hearns Hobbies (before they lost the plot). Myers Basement and maybe a Movie. Then Home. Good day out for boys from the bush.

Geez I am old  ;)

Nearest Electronics shop of any sort is maybe Wiltronics in Ballarat (not a direction I travel) or 4 hours to Melbourne so sad but it is about mail order or bust for a lot of the country now. Rockby keeps on slogging it out but the rest seem to have largely given up the components and bits business.  :-[
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2019, 07:55:43 am »

Has Truscott's finally shut up shop?

Yes

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2019, 12:28:32 pm »
Whenever we can, we should support Rockby. Use them or lose them. The blokes there told me the electronics scene is very quiet compared to just 10 years ago. A sign of the times. I have found some of their excess component specials to be cheaper than anywhere else, even cheaper than vendors in China.

Once Rockby is gone, there is not much else around.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2019, 01:15:25 pm »
I do like the occasional trip to Rockby to rummage around the clearance room. They are trying to spruce up the main store area which I hope makes it easier to find the good stuff. I once about 2 years ago was given a brief glimpse in the back where there was still heaps of old tubes of through hole chips. So it should be a source of obsolete stuff for a while if they remain the last man standing. But it seems to be impossible for a small local shop To maintain stock of all the vast amount of new SMT components.

I hope they survive for some time yet. They can't be complete mugs to have survived thus far. But even being a source for surplus stuff must be getting harder if the surplus comes from businesses closing down.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2019, 07:02:54 pm »
For those who didn't get the chance to go in, there's what the now closed Truscotts looked like a couple of months back.

The following users thanked this post: wilfred

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2020, 06:01:49 am »
Was hunting around for another reason and saw this sign at 174 High St Preston. Preston Electronic Components. Shop's gone but signs remain.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/174+High+St,+Preston+VIC+3072/@-37.7458903,145.0027308,3a,29y,44.01h,93.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szMspUADQlDErcP-l5QQw-Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x6ad644f665d6ca19:0x31e8a342346aa51a!8m2!3d-37.7457556!4d145.0028535

Offline intabits

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2020, 12:56:19 pm »
I heard the name “McGrath” somewhere the other day, which prompted me to look it up as the name of an old electronics store in the Melbourne CBD, to see if any of its history had been recorded.

The first thing that popped up was in this thread of an electronics forum that I was not previously aware of:-
https://www.electronicspoint.com/forums/threads/what-about-melbourne.135600

I decided to join the forum so that I could revive the 13 year old thread and make my contribution. In the process of researching for my post, I saw there was a similar, more recent thread in the EEVBlog forum:-

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/old-electronics-shops-in-melbourne-what_s-there-today-(video)/msg791971/#msg791971

So having spent quite some time writing this rather long post, I decided  to maximzse my ROI and post it to both forums, but the older thread is now archived read-only.

A lot of this is my hazy recollections from over 50 years ago, so there is much room for error. Where I know there could be mistakes, I've added a question mark.

McGraths in Little Lonsdale Street.
My first electronics shop. I was introduced to this place at about 10 years of age by an older family friend. It was all new components laid out on tables in hundreds of small, painted, cake baking tins. A feature of this place that sticks with me is the thin balding guy at the first of the four small sales counters. Every time I dealt with him, it all seemed like life was just too much for him. He appeared to hate his job, yet was there for years.
(I think it was mentioned that they had used gear, but that would have been United Trade Sales across the street?)

United trade Sales
I'm pretty sure that this was the place across the street from McGraths? Run by Jock Ellis, an always cheerful pipe smoking Scotsman. I think he then moved to a larger shop in Lonsdale Street on the other side of the same building(s). Later moving out to Clayton as Ellistronics. Possibly he had another place out there, but I only vaguely remember just the one near the corner of Blackburn & Wellington Rds, Later to become "Tecs" for not very long, as I recall.

I bought a couple of IBM 1311 disk drives from him when he had the store in Lonsdale street. They were the satellite units, not the master that controlled them, which had more electronics. Luckily, Jock knew who bought the master unit, and put me in touch with them. Through our common interests, Mike and I became very good mates. Sadly he's been gone for quite a while now.

Waltham Trading Company
A large 2 or 3 level shop in Elizabeth Street near Collins St or Flinders Lane in the city. Lots of war surplus electronics, much of it NOS components. I didn't fully appreciate the stuff they had back then, but would like to play with now. I wish there was a place like that still around. They finished up at a large garage in Richmond, in (another!) Elizabeth street, maybe near the corner of Church St?

Ham Radio Supplies
Another large shop in Elizabeth st, like and near Waltham Trading Co - Or am I imagining that?
Certainly they later had a small shop in Swanston Street near Little Lonsdale St, plus a hangar at Essendon Airport for storage, where they'd scrapped an IBM 7044 and 1401 (From Melbourne Uni, and by which I'd been mesmerised years earlier as a youngster on open days). One day, I left the airport with my Toyota Crown station wagon absolutely chock full of the guts of those machines. About 7000 SMS circuit boards => *lots* of gold!
(I'm pretty sure the 1311's also came from Melbourne Uni)

Rockby Electronics
A friendly family run business, one of the few still operating.
I first found them in Haughton road, next to Huntingdale station, then they had a couple of places in Huntingdale road, a small shop in a small shopping strip in Huntingale Rd near Edward st (or was that only Stewart Eectronics?), then a larger place in the main shopping area, and finally the current place in Renver road. (I think there was also another location that now escapes me?)
I still go there every month or two. The building is up for sale, though they are staying on, at least for now.
But I'm told that they do intend to wind up some time in the next few years.

Stewart Electronics
Started as a shop in the small Huntingdale Rd strip, then to Stafford St in the industrial area behind the main shopping area.
A father & son team. Large Range and high prices. Specialized in keeping customers waiting.
Stock went to Rockby when they closed.

All Electronic Components
In Lonsdale street, past Russell street, so a bit away from the main CBD electronics precint.
Bought the PCBs for my EDUC-8 from them. There was an old bloke there with a bung eye, that he lost in an accident involving caustic soda.

There were also the more obscure and specialized, small non-retail local agents for various semiconductor companies. Though you could still by from some of them as a hobbyist.

Jamisom Rowe annoyingly designed the Electronics Australia EDUC-8 computer to use a $50 Fairchild bipolar RAM chip, which was far, far, far faster than what was actually needed. I don't remember the name of the place, but I bought a 2102 NMOS RAM chip for $3 from a (NatSemi?) agent somewhere in Collingwood. The 2102 had a different pinout, but did the job just fine.

A few years later, I visited a Signetics distributor in Moray St South Melbourne a number of times. I got a couple of 2650 MCUs, plus various TTL stuff as I recall. An American ex-IBM CE who worked there gave me a few pointers in trying to get the 1311 disk drives that I'd bought from United Trade Sales going (did get them seeking, but no read/write of data). 

Semtronics Queen St  Nunawading
Another of the remaining few. I only went there once, as Nunawading is outside of my stomping ground, but as I remember it, a  proper old style electronics shop, mostly new parts that have been sitting around for years, but possibly some used stuff was in the small, fairly congested space.
Earlier this year, I needed an new EMI filter for a PDP-11/34, and found a perfect match on eBay at a very good price, and was most surprised to see that it was at a shop in Melbourne. One that I'd never heard of, despite it having been there for many years. Went out there right away, and was back home with the new filter within a couple of hours of starting my search.

Radio Parts
First went there when I lived not too far from their North Melbourne head office, but much later frequented the East Malvern store which was only a few minutes walk from home. It had been there for many years, but some bean counter decided to close it, much to my continuing annoyance. They had a good range of components and good prices for "VIP" trade card holders. A couple of the guys there were good fun, when they saw me come in, they'd say "Look, here comes intabits, He must be outa bits!"

Bernie's Emporium
Three locations that I know of, only been to each of them once. Lots of used electronics gear, organized as your usual explore for yourself junk warehouse. First I went to was in North Road at the intersection of Koornang & Tucker Rds, then at Oakleigh in a back street (Fulton? or Manton?) of the  triangular light industrial area between North Rd & the railway line. He/They then seemed to become a larger, more profit-oriented/professional outfit named Macservice, selling on ebay from a warehouse in South Clayton (Fairbank Rd or Obsborne Ave)

Truscotts Bayswater ?
Now gone, only vaguely aware of it and never went there. Way out in the eastern burbs, too far away for me.

Dick Smith
Early on, the main one I went to was in Bridge Rd Richmond, around the corner from the Yarra Blvd. Much later they were the first occupants of a new large building, conveniently at the end of my street in Dandenong Rd Carnegie. I think they were owned by Woolwoths by this time?, and already sliding towards the gurlger. Initially about 20% of the store was "proper" electronics, but reduced quickly to about 2%, and then they folded. It's now Officeworks. 

Tandy
Desperation only, but the one in Glenhuntly Rd Elsternwick was once handy if I needed some wire, a resistor or a connector.

Right next to the electronics precinct in the Melbourne CBD was the Elizabeth street motorcycle precinct. Saturday mornings were a festival for motorcyclists back in the heyday of both these areas, with hundreds of bikes parked up and down Elizabeth street. In the 1970's I had a Kawasaki Z1A, and Saturday mornings in those days were an great time in my life where I could indulge two of my main passions. Riding in there with a wonderful girlfriend on a sunny day, was a joyous experience. I do miss those times. (She eventually woke up and moved on to better things)

The following users thanked this post: VK3DRB, vk3yedotcom, Circlotron, Muttley Snickers, beanflying, mag_therm

Online mag_therm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2020, 03:40:59 pm »
Wireless Institute of Australia, Victoria Division
That was located right in the city as I recall (?)
In about 1968 we got some surplus boards with tin can transistors, from WIA office,
that had to be pried off, and they worked well.
I was a member from about 1968, I got the full call in 1969 .

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2020, 10:42:31 pm »
Excellent post by Intabits :-+.

He did not mention Tasman Electronics, a husband and wife run business in Coburg, just off Sydney Road near the old Safeway. Great little shop with low component prices that was also very handy considering I lived a short walking distance away between late 1979 and 1981.

Jock Ellis ran Ellistronics in Lonsdale Street. I did not know he ran United Trade Sales as well. But alas, I do recall him smoking a pipe - that for the prompt. And his two star employees at Ellistronics in 1977 and 1978 - a skinny dark haired chap and a fair haired balding bloke that looked like Ralph in Happy Days. I heard Jock moved to Queensland, but passed away years ago.

The following users thanked this post: intabits

Offline Kerlin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2020, 10:43:39 pm »
There was one that I haven't seen mentioned.
It was maybe called Homecrafts ?
Maybe located, in Little Lonsdale just around the corner from Swanston street.
Was it the place that had a flat DC motor glued on the window spinning a weighted arm?

Another memory I have was running into the son of the owner of Ellistronics out the front of the shop.
He had showed me a second hand Dino Ferrari he just bought, for I think it was some $30-60K.
He me told that it was cheap and would be worth a fortune one day. Think they are worth millions now.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 01:47:50 am by Kerlin »
Do you know what the thread is about and are Comprehending what has been said ?

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2020, 06:47:48 am »
I don't remember the name of the place, but I bought a 2102 NMOS RAM chip for $3 from a (NatSemi?) agent somewhere in Collingwood.
George Brown in Sackville St Collingwood?

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2020, 06:55:59 am »
Was it the place that had a flat DC motor glued on the window spinning a weighted arm?
The wizzy thing on the window rings a bell... I vaguely remember a hifi shop like that, but in Elizabeth or Swanston St and with a Nakamichi 1000 Tri Tracer cassette deck in the window. Drool...
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=ll0qfmft82hmhmk6g2aqbigoi1&topic=51721.msg464210#msg464210
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 07:04:17 am by Circlotron »

Offline intabits

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2020, 09:35:19 am »
Excellent post by Intabits :-+.

He did not mention Tasman Electronics...

Jock Ellis ran Ellistronics in Lonsdale Street. I did not know he ran United Trade Sales as well.

Thanks!
Tasman Electronics rings a bell. Probably from ads in the magazines? I never went there.

I'm not at all 100% on Ellistronics & United Trade Sales. I know that Jock had another business name before Ellistronics, and I'm pretty sure that it was UTS.
And I'm pretty sure that he had the two Lonsdales CBD stores. So I'm fairly sure the Lt. Lonsdale one was UTS.
But I thought the other was also, with Ellistronics only appearing when he moved out of the CBD. But it's all a bit hazy...

George Brown in Sackville St Collingwood?
That sounds right. Looking at the street, it probably was.

"Homecrafts" also rings a bell quite loudly, I just can't picture it.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2020, 12:47:41 pm »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf