Author Topic: Old Hand Mixer with Gear Not Working  (Read 845 times)

Offline Boris_yoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Old Hand Mixer with Gear Not Working
« on: December 03, 2021, 04:25:39 pm »
Hello,

Was obsessed with thought of disassembling 20 year old hand mixer that recently had its gear stop working. It's been through several repairs by repair shops already.

So far it's very interesting and I wonder if I can fix malfunctioning gear. It used to stop at every speed with a clicking sound but now it just freely turns. There are short and long metal rods that are supposed to contact each hole on plastic plate responsible for certain speed but I noticed that there is a gap between them and plastic plate.

I later found a spring and a small piece of broken plastic inside the hand mixer and put it in a switch (marked with red arrow) but don't know what they are for. After more careful inspection it's clear that plastic arch was part of rotating circle in gear until it broke.

It was a fun time tinkering with old mixer I gotta admit. Don't think Super Glue will hold both parts together. JB Weld will do probably... Sorry for messy shots of dirt and flour inside :D

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: Old Hand Mixer with Gear Not Working
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 05:37:24 am »
Hi Boris, you flagged this post for removal as you fixed it yourself. Perhaps you could educate others on how you fixed it? That way anyone else looking for the same information can find it some day, instead of deleting things.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 06:07:39 am »
Hello,

Was obsessed with thought of disassembling 20 year old hand mixer that recently had its gear stop working. It's been through several repairs by repair shops already.

So far it's very interesting and I wonder if I can fix malfunctioning gear. It used to stop at every speed with a clicking sound but now it just freely turns. There are short and long metal rods that are supposed to contact each hole on plastic plate responsible for certain speed but I noticed that there is a gap between them and plastic plate.

I later found a spring and a small piece of broken plastic inside the hand mixer and put it in a switch (marked with red arrow) but don't know what they are for. After more careful inspection it's clear that plastic arch was part of rotating circle in gear until it broke.

It was a fun time tinkering with old mixer I gotta admit. Don't think Super Glue will hold both parts together. JB Weld will do probably... Sorry for messy shots of dirt and flour inside :D

Ohhh----I thought you meant one of these:-

« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 06:10:54 am by vk6zgo »

Offline Boris_yoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 08:45:33 am »
I thought people here who are more experienced than I am and are not interested seeing how beginner fixed his old electric hand mixer.

I used Super Glue to restore broken circle piece of plastic that regulates speeds. The glue dried within minutes and 20 minutes later I could turn speeds switch. I used conpressed air to blow out flour inside and 70% rubbing alcohol on cloth to clean dirt inside.

I still don't know what that spring is used for and small plastic piece didn't seem to affect anything. Hand mixer works fine now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf