Author Topic: Once upon a time in the '70'S in WirelessWorld...........  (Read 3576 times)

Offline DoctorStrangelove

Re: Once upon a time in the '70'S in WirelessWorld...........
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2024, 04:39:22 pm »
I've built a couple of the Wireless World receivers using the 1496 mixer.

The first one sort of worked and needed much modification.

Then MSF moved from Rugby to Anthorn and lo! the signal level changed & it didn't work.

After much hacking about another version with added 60kHz amplification did deign to function, during which I was eventually reminded that bandpass tranformers need a coupling coefficient between the coils of a good deal less than one.

I bought all the ics for the original fast decoder and they've remained unused for the last 40 years.

I used a pic16f84 to decode the slow transmission, one of which uses a 16x2 LCD to display the time, the other displaying it as binary digits (well I was bored in work).

The output of the 1496 never seemed to correspond very well with the waveforms in the article & the comparator eventually became a floating comparator which did work reasonably enough.

Another receiver was the Rewbichron module from Ambit, of which I have two examples, neither of which ever seemed to do anything sensible at all.

Further potching led to a receiver using a PLL tone decoder that seems to work adequately.

I miss Wireless World, it was downhill all the way after 2005, the issues for 2006 & 2007 met the recycling last year when I determined there was nothing of any interest whatsoever in them.

Offline MarkMLl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2024, 01:25:40 pm »
I bought all the ics for the original fast decoder and they've remained unused for the last 40 years.

I've got the bits put by to make one of these http://www.creative-science.org.uk/MSF_crystal_filter.html and am glad to say that they're still younger than 40 years :-)

Comparing the various satellite constellations' idea of UTC can be interesting, and I'm still looking forward to adding MSF to the mix.

MarkMLl

Offline Chris56000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2024, 09:38:28 pm »
Hi!

I've got a boxful of bits to build the "John Linsley Hood HiFi Cassette Deck!!"

I couldn't afford it then, wants it now" nostalgia rampage.  It started with "oscilloscope", and continued with "Fluke DMM" and "Valve Volt meter", and now I'm way down the rabbit hole.

. . .I've fallen so far down that rabbit–hole I doubt I'll ever climb out of it – I've just realised I need to look for a Traco 527E Frequency Difference Meter for Part 6, Chapter 40 "Introduction to Frequency Measurements and Methods of Frequency Comparison" of the Gigantic T & M Theory and Repair Book I'm busily engaged in writing – 104 chapters nearly complete, 173 chapters still to start and 16 I can't yet start because of the stupid insane prices of the items concerned!

Chris Williams

« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 09:48:14 pm by Chris56000 »
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf