Author Topic: Oops...  (Read 2186 times)

Offline slateraptorTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Oops...
« on: April 22, 2012, 01:03:49 am »
Evidently, I've been testing my prototype this entire time with the main power header unsoldered to the board. :-[

Offline Mint.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Account is inactive now. Thanks everybody!
    • Personal Blog, Mint Electronics.
Re: Oops...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 02:45:43 am »
You're not the only one, only a few days ago I wasted about 1-2 hours trying to troubleshoot my project just to find that I forgot to add all the connections to the power!
Personal Blog (Not Active Anymore), Mint Electronics:
http://mintelectronics.wordpress.com/

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 02:56:21 am »
The header pins were actually making solid contact with the board, so it didn't cause me any issues; they're 2.5A rated and slightly oversized compared to the standard. Didn't realize that I had forgotten to solder the power header in until I disassembled the enclosure to finish a bodge fix...and it wasn't until reassembling that I noticed the male header was lodged in its socket.

Offline steve_w

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 05:26:20 am »
Ive done similar,

your not a fair dinkum techo until you screw a few things up.  It's called experience.

I'll bet most of the experienced people here have a horror story or two, at least you were honest enough to share yours. 

Keep gaining experience :-)
So long and thanks for all the fish

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 06:59:55 am »
Sadly, my mistakes don't end there:

1) Accidentally wired a virtual ground net to system ground (had a lot to do with my inner voice constantly repeating "tip to left, ring to right, sleeve to ground"), and
2) botched the pin mapping of three identical SOT-23 transistors.

All hardware screw ups are corrected now. It's a bit of a disappointment to work on this project alone, without a partner to bounce around ideas and proof-check each others' work. There's another group of 2 that will be presenting their project this coming Thursday. I think everyone is in agreement (myself included) that their combined efforts will justifiably earn them the 1st place prize money this semester...and I'm willing to bet that their project will pop up on hack-a-day sometime shortly thereafter.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf