Author Topic: OOT: FSM Pastafarian minister, was sworn into office.  (Read 25121 times)

Offline phamucTopic starter

• Contributor
OOT: FSM Pastafarian minister, was sworn into office.
« on: January 11, 2014, 09:24:12 pm »
Hey Dave, 

Just letting you know that, a FSM Pastafarian minister, was sworn into office.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/week-god-90

-Paul

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Re: OOT: FSM Pastafarian minister, was sworn into office.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 05:32:49 pm »
That flying spaghetti monster does not sound credible to me but if this is what you believe in, I respect it.

Offline N2IXK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 06:24:13 pm »
Does a Flying Spaghetti Monster sound any less credible than a cosmic Jewish zombie who was his own father who can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh, drink his blood, and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magic apple tree?
"My favorite programming language is...SOLDER!"--Robert A. Pease

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 07:28:45 pm »
Ramen!
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 09:24:05 am »
Does a Flying Spaghetti Monster sound any less credible than a cosmic Jewish zombie who was his own father who can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh, drink his blood, and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magic apple tree?

blew my coffee  :-DD

Offline colotron

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:53:03 am »

Congratulations!!!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 11:47:57 am »
May you be touched by His Noodly Appendage!

Offline phamucTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 01:39:45 pm »
That flying spaghetti monster does not sound credible to me but if this is what you believe in, I respect it.

Hey you may be right. It is hard to believe that any politician could be credible.

PS: I respect the individual's right, that they can believe in any bullshit they want to.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 01:54:02 pm »

Sounds legit.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 02:07:11 pm »
Where is mechatrommer?
http://www.garrettbaldwin.com/

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 02:21:47 pm »
Still recovering from the shock of the forum's favicon, no doubt ;)
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 05:47:11 pm »
Does a Flying Spaghetti Monster sound any less credible than a cosmic Jewish zombie who was his own father who can make you live forever ...

I am not into religions but if you believe in a flying spaghetti monster it is just fine with me.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 06:22:26 pm »

Does not sound credible compared to what?
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline Tinkerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 09:07:14 pm »
So maybe hes lost on the fact that the flying spahgetti monster was meant as a kind of arguement against religion? The point is that you believe in one thing, then it is equally valid to believe in something different.

Offline N2IXK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 10:52:38 pm »
Also makes the point that if you carve out a special place for any religions beliefs in public life, equal accommodation must be made for ALL religious beliefs, no matter how "ridiculous" they may appear to non-believers. Either we let anything and everything be considered a "legitimate" religious belief and give it the same treatment, or we exclude ALL religious observances from public life.  Swearing on Bibles in courtrooms, "in God we trust" on money, prayers at public school sports events and graduation ceremonies, exceptions for religious headgear/face coverings in drivers license photos, etc.

Whole FSM thing originated with the Kansas school board wanting to incorporate "Intelligent Design" (according to the Xtian creation mythology, anyway) into public school science curriculum, as a "competing theory" to Darwinian evolution. Pastafarianism was dreamed up by a couple college kids, who wrote a letter to the Kansas school board, and launched a little website. The rest is history...

http://www.venganza.org

More power to them! While a few aspects of FSM creation mythology seem a bit backward or sexist (no more than most religions, actually), their analog to the 10 commandments (the 8 "I'd Really Rather you Didnt's") is quite easy to get behind:

1. I’d Really rather you didn’t act like a sanctimonious holier-than-thou ass when describing my noodly goodness. If some people don’t believe in me, that’s okay. Really, i’m not that vain. Besides, this isn’t about them so don’t change the subject.

2. I’d Really rather you didn’t use my existence as a means to oppress, subjugate, punish, eviscerate, and/or, you know, be mean to others. I don’t require sacrifices, and purity is for drinking water, not people.

3. I’d Really rather you didn’t judge people for the way they look, or how they dress, or the way they talk, or, well, just play nice, okay? Oh, and get this through you thick heads: woman=person, man=person. Samey-samey. One is not better than the other, unless we’re talking about fashion and i’m sorry, but i gave that to women and some guys who know the difference between teal and fuchsia.

4. I’d Really rather you didn’t indulge in conduct that offends yourself, or your willing, consenting partner of legal age and mental maturity. As for anyone who might object, i think the expression is go fuck yourself, unless they find that offensive in which case they can turn off the tv for once and go for a walk for a change.

5. I’d Really rather you didn’t challenge the bigoted, misogynist, hateful ideas of others on an empty stomach. Eat, then go after the bullshit.

6. I’d Really rather you didn’t build multi-million-dollar churches/temples/mosques/shrines to my noodly goodness when the money could be better spent (take your pick): a. Ending poverty b. Curing diseases c. Living in peace, loving with passion, and lowering the cost of cable. I might be a complex carbohydrate omniscient being, but i enjoy the simple things in life. I ought to know. I am the creator.

7. I’d Really rather you didn’t go around telling people i talk to you. You’re not that interesting. Get over yourself. And i told you to love your fellow man, can’t you take a hint?

8. I’d Really rather you didn’t do unto others as you would have them do unto you if you are into, um, stuff that uses a lot of leather/lubrication/las vegas. If the other person is into it however (pursuant to #4), then have at it, take pictures. And for the love of me, wear a condom! Honestly it’s a piece of rubber, if i didn’t want it to feel good when you did it i would have added spikes, or something.

rAmen!

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:56:55 pm by N2IXK »
"My favorite programming language is...SOLDER!"--Robert A. Pease

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 10:58:57 pm »
Prediction: Religious argument thread forms within the next 10 posts.

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 05:28:32 am »
OMG the closed captioning on that video is better than the video itself

Congratulations!!!

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 08:41:31 pm »

Remark removed.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:28:44 pm by Galenbo »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 09:16:24 pm »

You can prevent it by posting 10 empty posts.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 09:18:38 pm »

Does not sound credible period. I did not say 'less' credible. This is not a comparison.  However, if this is your belief its fine with me.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 09:26:09 pm »

Does not sound credible period. I did not say 'less' credible. This is not a comparison.  However, if this is your belief its fine with me.

Do you really not get it... or is this a dry joke that's going over my head? ???
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline nitro2k01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 10:39:07 pm »
I don't know about you, but I'm conscious about the various denominations of Pastafarianism. As a an Italopastafarian, I'm frankly not very pleased eating the body of his Noodly Appendage with a sack of beef seasoning. It comes across as all starch and no protein. Now, I'm not trying to offend my fellow believers, but I just can't think that that way of worshipping is appropriate.
Whoa! How the hell did Dave know that Bob is my uncle? Amazing!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 10:46:34 pm »
So maybe hes lost on the fact that the flying spahgetti monster was meant as a kind of arguement against religion? The point is that you believe in one thing, then it is equally valid to believe in something different.

Only if they both have the same amount of evidence. Which in the case of any religion, the evidence is almost precisely the same as the FSM, and that's the point.

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 12:14:29 am »
No evidence? Blasphemy!

Pastafarianism is, in fact, the only religion based on evidence. Our religious dress is full pirate regalia for a reason. His Noodliness likes pirates and punishes us by raising the global temperature in inverse proportion to their population.

Offline Phaedrus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 01:29:09 am »
The rise of piracy in Somalia has actually led to a decrease in global temperature. Heathen scientists are just suppressing this information to push their non-delicious agenda.
"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf