Author Topic: Opinions about "The Geek Group" on YouTube  (Read 73022 times)

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Re: Opinions about "The Geek Group" on YouTube
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2013, 04:13:42 pm »
Guys, he's a troll, you're better than that.

Now you're being the asshole. Don't be so quick to dismiss someone as a troll just because they seem a bit curmudgeonly. He's got enough of a history here to show that he's not a troll, just an often rather amusing grouch. And while I don't think he's right about your motivations, all I can say is that your history goes farther to prove his point than his does to prove yours, so watch where you throw the accusations.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

duskglow

« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2013, 04:24:57 pm »
Chris, as much as I've been willing to defend you and your group, that kinda doesn't help. :(  Please don't make that job difficult.  The guy you are calling a "troll" has about 2,500 posts on this forum, and you have about 10 (I didn't look at the number before replying).

I completely agree that we should think for ourselves, and everyone here is obviously doing so.  Sometimes you may or may not agree with their conclusions, but they are.

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2013, 05:03:04 pm »
Ill be up front about it and day that I was the eevblog member who tipped off chris.  I thought that the group deserved accurate representation.   I didn't want the thread to turn into a one sided debate. 

I have benefited tremendously from both the eevblog forum and the geek group.  On the floor of my room stands a tesla coil secondary.  And up on my desk, I have a diy cc power supply.

It doesnt matter if videos have innopropriate humour or not.  Dave says sex on a stick all the time and everyone just loves it. 
http://www.garrettbaldwin.com/

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2013, 05:06:26 pm »
It doesnt matter if videos have innopropriate humour or not.  Dave says sex on a stick all the time and everyone just loves it.

To play devil's advocate - Chris is the one who says he's worried about his image, so different rules about appropriate content apply.

To return to my normal self - I'm incredibly puerile, so the more inappropriate jokes it has, the more I'm likely to enjoy it...

duskglow

« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2013, 05:07:44 pm »
smashedProton, I will say right up front that I think you did the right thing, and I probably would have if it'd occurred to me.  It didn't, though.  I have no problem with Chris - or any of his buddies/fellow geek members/whatever coming around and giving their point of view.  That doesn't bother me at all, and I don't see that as any kind of evidence of some kind of nefarious purpose.  That completely befuddles me.

Not too keen on Chris's last comment, but I'm willing to chalk that up to not being familiar with the group, based on any further responses.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2013, 05:11:00 pm »
Not too keen on Chris's last comment, but I'm willing to chalk that up to not being familiar with the group, based on any further responses.

There are a few members on here (I won't name names  >:D) who I suspected as trolls at first too. You're probably right. I knew enough not to say it, though...

duskglow

« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2013, 05:15:14 pm »
Yes, when I suspect someone as being a troll, I look at their post count.  If it's really high, I change my opinion from "troll" to "idiot".  I won't name names either. :)  If you didn't look at the post count, it's really easy to make that mistake.

I've only said it once, and that was when some advice was given that I considered to be utterly dangerous.

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2013, 05:16:24 pm »
Maybe both groups can be co-dependant.  And people can learn sstc at the eevblog

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

duskglow

« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2013, 05:17:49 pm »
I think it would be a good fit, but I don't think it's going to happen.  Dave's and Chris's personalities are too different, in my opinion.

I also think considering some of the hostility here it would be a tough sell and cause some damage. :(

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Re: Opinions about "The Geek Group" on YouTube
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2013, 05:20:25 pm »

There are a few members on here (I won't name names  >:D) who I suspected as trolls at first too. You're probably right. I knew enough not to say it, though...

You must mean the keefs, sgtrock, and myself!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:21:56 pm by smashedProton »

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2013, 05:27:13 pm »
:)

Ah, you picked some hard ones there. Keef - on the fence between "troll" and "argumentative, blithering idiot". SgtRock - on the fence between "troll" and "part-time troll who's fun to do battle with". And I'm not even going to try with you...  ;)

duskglow

« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2013, 05:29:28 pm »
There is only one person I haven't figured out so far.  I will not name names but his initials sound like a child's word for urination.  I haven't yet figured out whether he deliberately trolls, spreads misinformation, or truly believes what he says.  Otherwise, everyone gets the benefit of the doubt, whether or not I agree with them.  So far. :)

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2013, 05:32:28 pm »
Anyway.... so... about that Geek Group...

We should have an animated graphic of a train running off its tracks, or perhaps a little plot of a tangent.

duskglow

« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2013, 05:34:58 pm »
EDIT:  Somehow between the time I posted this and now, the account got terminated.  Hah.

Here ya go!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:29:55 pm by duskglow »

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2013, 06:15:19 pm »

I like this one since it brings up the concept of where the tangent left the arc. 

" Yup, that post about unicorns was the point of tangency"

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2013, 06:19:55 pm »
I tried my hand at an animation of a circle diverging onto a tangent, but it was literally the first animated GIF I'd ever drawn, so it looked like poo. I put it in the toilet where all poo belongs.

Offline smackaay

• Regular Contributor
    • Steve's Junk
« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2013, 08:48:54 am »
I know this a bit of an old thread but I just got acquainted with GeekGroup videos. This Chris Boden guy seems somewhat knowledgeable about stuff but is also lazy and uninformed. I have seen him:
  • Hammer the tip of a screwdriver with a hammer in between batteries
  • Use a hammer on the head of another hammer!
  • Spend ten minutes boasting his lock picking skills and then ultimately fail
  • Use pry bars on lead acid batteries
  • scream and yell in weird ways without it being amusing or funny
  • Perform pointless tests on equipment, like way off tangent
  • order his comrade around to remove pop from a machine for 7 minutes, leave it in final edit

I don't mind their videos but they are of limited value to anyone and Chris Boden, while he may be enthused has more vigor than skill. While Dave may seem unprofessional due to his jokes or whatever, I would still have Dave work on any project anywhere in the world. This Chris guy seems like the kind of guy I wouldn't trust to clean a kitchen. Dave provides information, his own opinion and often some backstory. This guy provides very little of the sort.

I normally wouldn't rag on a guy just trying to do his thing but I just watched his equipment autopsy #50 (uninterruptable power supply) and I was absolutely embarrassed for him and the people filming it. Just watch it and you'll see. I watched a bunch of other videos and they were OK but many were of limited value or were strange in application but this one took the cake.

Maybe I'm being a bit picky but it was more like a brutal vivisection than an autopsy.
Come see my boring site - http://smackaay.com/

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2013, 09:11:23 am »
I know this a bit of an old thread but I just got acquainted with GeekGroup videos. This Chris Boden guy seems somewhat knowledgeable about stuff but is also lazy and uninformed. I have seen him:

It's his UPS/Hammar/Screwdriver  if he wants to smash things with a hammer why does it matter? 

Sometime it's faster to use the wrong tool, and infact - in those cases it's common to have a multiple tools so you can dedicate one for being used the wrong way. That way you can use it any way you need and also prevent anything important being ruined.

Side cutters are a good example. You have a really good pair and a cheap pair which you use when you're worried the expensive pair might get damaged because your cutting something a bit oversized.

In fact, using tools the wrong way is how new tools get invented :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 09:15:58 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2013, 09:17:45 am »
While Dave may seem unprofessional due to his jokes or whatever

My blog was always meant be an opinionated personal blog, it was never intended to be "professional" in any way.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2013, 09:18:59 am »
Side cutters are a good example. You have a really good pair and a cheap pair which you use when you're worried the expensive pair might get damaged because your cutting something a bit oversized.

Funny you mention that, as I mention precisely that in my next video which is uploaded but not released.

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2013, 09:44:58 am »
I'm really glad Dave doesn't do videos like this
all they do is assemble the kit.
They have their place, but for most people it's neither educational nor funny. They have the guy who supposedly designed the thing and that cool schematic view/animations, he explains the circuit, but that part could have been separate video. I don't want to watch this guy trying figure how to bend leads on components or solder or which component is what. But I know there might be people who want to watch that. Every other part of their videos seems good quality except Chris Boden.

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2013, 11:17:00 am »
They have their place, but for most people it's neither educational nor funny. They have the guy who supposedly designed the thing and that cool schematic view/animations, he explains the circuit, but that part could have been separate video. I don't want to watch this guy trying figure how to bend leads on components or solder or which component is what. But I know there might be people who want to watch that. Every other part of their videos seems good quality except Chris Boden.

Doesn' the responsibility in the end belong to the viewer? it's impossible for a content creator to make something that appeals to all. It's perfectly doable for a viewer to only keep watching the things that appeal to herself.

Offline smackaay

• Regular Contributor
    • Steve's Junk
« Reply #122 on: September 07, 2013, 04:43:33 pm »

It's his UPS/Hammar/Screwdriver  if he wants to smash things with a hammer why does it matter? 

Sometime it's faster to use the wrong tool, and infact - in those cases it's common to have a multiple tools so you can dedicate one for being used the wrong way. That way you can use it any way you need and also prevent anything important being ruined.

In fact, using tools the wrong way is how new tools get invented :)

That kind of logic is fine if there is truly no other way to remove something. However in those examples he was trying to remove batteries from a UPS. He completely ignored the screws on the case and grunted and groaned for five minutes, potentially damaging his tools in the process. He was more like an ape trying to open a puzzle box with brute force than a man with skill gently coaxing it open.

Sure, who am I to say what kind of tools he uses? But I watched him and was screaming "Remove the screws!". I've watched other videos of his and most of them are OK. Perhaps I don't like him because he's so painfully unfunny, I don't know.
Come see my boring site - http://smackaay.com/

Offline Things

• Regular Contributor
  • Laser Geek
    • NQLasers
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2013, 09:36:11 am »
The thing I always find amusing about discussions of this nature, both on forums and YouTube comments, is it seems people are always being forced into watching videos they don't enjoy.

Even on my tiny YouTube channel I get regular comments about my videos being boring, so don't farking watch them.

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2013, 04:33:52 pm »

Doesn' the responsibility in the end belong to the viewer? it's impossible for a content creator to make something that appeals to all. It's perfectly doable for a viewer to only keep watching the things that appeal to herself.

Just my opinion (as the topic might suggest), noone is forcing anyone to watch anything. But if they go through all that trouble then why not do it properly. Their videos almost tick all the boxes...
If they have knowledgeable people there, why put the guy who isn't into doing the stuff.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:08:43 pm by Legit-Design »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf