Author Topic: OT: Anyone update their ipad to iOS6? Did safari get faster?  (Read 2483 times)

Offline MrPlacidTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hobby Hobbyist
OT: Anyone update their ipad to iOS6? Did safari get faster?
« on: October 10, 2012, 05:38:13 pm »
I use the safari browser a lot on the ipad. So when I saw the iOS6 update and saw that javascript was gonna be faster. I updated my ipad 2. It seemed like safari is much slower than advertise. What do you guy think? Faster, slower, or can't tell the difference? 

And anyone know how to get the iOS5.1 back?

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: OT: Anyone update their ipad to iOS6? Did safari get faster?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 05:41:45 pm »
I'm scared of iOS 6. I'm keeping my iPhone on iOS 5.1.

Sorry, I don't know how to revert back.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hobby Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 06:22:39 pm »
I'm keeping my iPhone on iOS 5.1.

You are one smart guy. I used to think apple knows what they are doing before the latest update.

Oh by the way, I was looking for electronic podcasts and saw the EEVblog podcast. Click on it and it tells me to download the Podcasts App. Click on the "View App" and after reading the comment, "OMG!!" Dave, I have to pass on the podcast. I got screwed on the iOS6 and still scare.

Offline willb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 09:00:09 pm »
I updated my iPhone and iPad2. Safari is definitely much slower. I also HATE that they got rid of the built-in YouTube. There's the YouTube app for the iphone, but nothing for the iPad. WTF. I too want to revert back to iOS 5.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hobby Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 03:35:30 am »
willb, thanks for confirming my suspicion.

I tried reading the ipad/mac forum and when someone said their safari slowed down after upgrade. The usual reply is "I upgrade to iOS6 and now safari is blazingly fast." End of story. The other day, I picked up my newphew's iPad 1 and used it. I can feel that it is faster than my updated iPad.

Well, made a video of it, but still aren't sure how to properly test apple's claim that safari is faster in iOS6. Here is my test, though. The video has annotations, so use a non-mobile browser to view it.

http://youtu.be/M09cJwy-oWM

Oh, when you read google news and click on youtube video, nothing appear because safari can't switch you to the deleted youtube app.  Very sad.

jucole

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 01:37:57 pm »
I'm scared of iOS 6. I'm keeping my iPhone on iOS 5.1.
Sorry, I don't know how to revert back.

hehe; my iPad's still on IOS5, and so is my Touch.  The choice of a trust-worthy googlemap app vs some crap map app and probably some new social i-gimmick stuff that probably just sucks a few more minutes out my life is a no-brainer!

Offline Fluxed Matter

• Regular Contributor
OT: Anyone update their ipad to iOS6? Did safari get faster?
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 06:41:52 am »
author=MrPlacid

Oh, when you read google news and click on youtube video, nothing appear because safari can't switch you to the deleted youtube app.  Very sad.

No it doesn't. YouTube videos play without any problems. On the iPhone the videos play though a kind if hidden app that is native to safari in its own window. On my wife's iPad it just played in safari.  I tested both of these watching the YouTube video of Dave's live blog. Played flawlessly!  As for safari loading speed it depends on your area. Here in the SJ I am getting lte and my speed is 53 Mbps download. Safari is quick. If you are on an iPhone 4/4s it will be slower, but as I said it mainly depends on the area you live in.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:45:06 am by Fluxed Matter »
Have a Great Day!
Fluxed Matter

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf