Author Topic: OT: F1 Amazing race from Ricciardo  (Read 4859 times)

Online tszabooTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
OT: F1 Amazing race from Ricciardo
« on: July 27, 2014, 04:05:11 pm »
Just arrived home from the Hungaroring, I must say, it was an amazing race, and I would like to congratulate the Australian driver Ricciardo!
I was afraid, he wouldnt live up to the expectations, bu he is trully amazing, a worthy successor of Webber. Webber already had years of my support, so will Ricciardo! Go Australians AND Austrian cars!

Offline _Sin

• Regular Contributor
Re: OT: F1 Amazing race from Ricciardo
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 04:33:19 pm »
Austrian car?!

Built in Milton Keynes, with a French engine... :)

But yeah, good race by the sounds of it. Waiting to see the fall-out from Rosberg's hissy fit when he couldn't catch Lewis, even though Lewis started from the pit-lane and stacked it into a barrier on the first lap...

Programmer with a soldering iron - fear me.

Offline vis1-0n

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 06:53:25 pm »
Waiting to see the fall-out from Rosberg's hissy fit when he couldn't catch Lewis, even though Lewis started from the pit-lane and stacked it into a barrier on the first lap...

Wait, what? The headlines were still about Hamilton first and the winner second. I really hate that, Ricciardo deserves better. Granted it is British sites but I saw nothing (that) remarkable about Hamilton's achievement, esp considering the multiple safety cars meant that those in front were not allowed to break away and he was always in touching distance in what is the fastest car around. It has become a standard over the years that a car out of position will make its way through the field.

Offline cjo20

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 08:45:33 pm »
Waiting to see the fall-out from Rosberg's hissy fit when he couldn't catch Lewis, even though Lewis started from the pit-lane and stacked it into a barrier on the first lap...

Wait, what? The headlines were still about Hamilton first and the winner second. I really hate that, Ricciardo deserves better. Granted it is British sites but I saw nothing (that) remarkable about Hamilton's achievement, esp considering the multiple safety cars meant that those in front were not allowed to break away and he was always in touching distance in what is the fastest car around. It has become a standard over the years that a car out of position will make its way through the field.

Getting from starting in the pit lane to finishing on the podium is an achievement for anyone, in any car.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 11:47:52 pm »
Great race.... Ricciardo seems like a great guy and it's great to see him win a race.  I wouldn't call him a worthy successor to Webber... Ricciardo is 100 times the driver Weber could ever dream to be.  Webber sucks and has always sucked and was never a patch on Vettel.  Ricciardo is kicking Vettel's ass.

As for Hamilton, he had a fantastic drive as well, as did Alonso.  Rosberg was being whiny... thinking Lewis ought to slow down to let him by when he's a second behind is silly.   Hamilton has to be one of the most unlucky drivers this year.  He's had two fantastic drives back from the back of the pack, and two DNF's from mechanical failures.  Frankly, Rosberg is lucky he's (slightly) ahead.

Budapest is one of my favorite cities in the world.  Absolutely charming, breathtaking and beautiful. 
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Online tszabooTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 03:25:24 pm »
Austrian car?!

Technically, they play the Austrian anthem wherever they win.  I'm sure there are german srews and japanise capacitors in it, but that doesn't make it an English car.
Hamilton had a lot of luck, but he still was driving very good. When you are next to the track, you dont hear the whining, so that part was missing for me. On the other hand probably Rosberg could overtake Alonso in the end if Hamilton would have let him, so this is bad for the team, I'm sure they will have some discussion about this.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 05:33:40 pm »
That race was rather good wasn't it? I downloaded the race rather than endure the RTL coverage and my girlfriend was under strict orders not to reveal the results until I watched it yesterday morning. Those last ten laps were a great example of what makes F1 worth watching.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 05:51:08 pm »
Austrian car?!

Technically, they play the Austrian anthem wherever they win.  I'm sure there are german srews and japanise capacitors in it, but that doesn't make it an English car.
Hamilton had a lot of luck, but he still was driving very good. When you are next to the track, you dont hear the whining, so that part was missing for me. On the other hand probably Rosberg could overtake Alonso in the end if Hamilton would have let him, so this is bad for the team, I'm sure they will have some discussion about this.

I can't understand why Rosberg would think that being 1 second behind your teammate implies that your teammate should slow down and let you pass?  It's not like Hamilton was holding up Rosberg when Rosberg was whining about wanting past... Rosberg wasn't able to close in on him... and these two are and were racing for position, not only in that race but also in the championship.  Rosberg hasn't exactly been looking out for Hamilton's best interests and neither should Hamilton look out for Rosberg's... if Nico was fast enough to be in front - close up and pass him, don't ask the team to tell him to slow down and move over so you can sail on by.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline abaxas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 06:02:43 pm »
Austrian car?!

Ermm,

F1 is a team sport with a separate driver's championship.

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 06:42:34 pm »
Hi all,

From what I saw it was the team that wanted Hamiliton to step aside, not Rosberg specifically. IMHO both drivers, not just Hamilton knew it was all a bad idea.
Kudos to Hamilton for sticking up for what he knew was the right thing to do.
But how the team/management couldn't have worked this all out for themselves before coming on the radio given both drivers are fighting for the drivers championhip I'll never know. My opinion is that team orders like this should ONLY be asked when a drivers position is not in jeapordy by doing so.

Great race, and basically all still to play for.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline allikat

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 02:02:09 pm »
For those who do not know:
F1 teams have to pick an official home base , which does not have to be where the cars are made.  The only requirement is for there to be a headquarters office in that location. Red Bull is owned by an Austrian (not an Australian) and so the HQ office is in Austria (Not Australia) and they are officially and Austrian team.

Ricciardo is an amazing driver, and both his wins were well deserved.  He's a real credit to the entire Australian nation, his winning smile and positive attitude.  The TV guys here were busy calling him a future world champion.
Any engineer can readily identify 3 smells:
1: Coffee, 2: Escaped magic smoke, 3: Bullshit
(from an original post by John Coloccia)

Offline Anks

• Frequent Contributor
    • www.krisanks.wordpress.com
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 04:09:32 pm »
Every single car on a F1 grid has something made in the UK if not most of it's chassis. This doesn't constitute being a British car in my opinion but dose point out that Britain is still the top dog in the this game.

Just look at a company called Prodrive who make parts for allot of sports cars designed for competition. Not all manufactures will admit it but there is plenty of information to back it up.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf