Author Topic: Our Electronics Lab / Workshop.. Pics, ideas & layouts  (Read 15456 times)

Offline WayneoTopic starter

• Contributor
Our Electronics Lab / Workshop.. Pics, ideas & layouts
« on: August 07, 2010, 01:27:29 am »
Hello all,
            I just thought of an idea, I don't know if its been done here before?
I thought we could post pics of our Electronics Labs / Workshops on here (like Dave's EEVblog Lab picture)
We could share Ideas, layouts and storage ideas with one another!
What do you think my fellow Electronics enthusiasts?  :-\
Wayne.  :)

Offline Zyvek

• Regular Contributor
Re: Our Electronics Lab / Workshop.. Pics, ideas & layouts
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 01:58:14 am »
Don't let the wide angle lens fool ya, the room is ~9'X7'. Still not finished, but I was too impatient to wait any longer before setting up.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 04:04:08 am by Zyvek »
-Z

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 01:58:54 am »
We do have an older thread to that effect, but there's nothing wrong with starting new!

I'll have to see if I can get the camera working.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 02:27:24 am »
Don't let the wide angle lens fool ya, the room is ~9'X7'. Still not finished, but I was to impatient to wait any longer before setting up.
Thats really nice! I LIKE!! Mine is nowhere near as tidy as that, But I do beat you on size ~ 9' x 3'!
Yep its really small but practical (ish) he he, I will add pics soon when its more organised but its getting there slowly but surely :)
Wayne.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 02:31:38 am »
We do have an older thread to that effect, but there's nothing wrong with starting new!

I'll have to see if I can get the camera working.

Thanks for that pal, I missed that link, oops! but as you said no harm in starting new :)
He he I can just imagine now all the people reading this thread then dusting off their cameras  :D
Wayne.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 02:52:04 am »
Don't let the wide angle lens fool ya, the room is ~9'X7'. Still not finished, but I was to impatient to wait any longer before setting up.

Wow, a door!, I want!

Dave.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 02:59:41 am »

Wow, a door!, I want!

Dave.
Dave, he he, I took the door off mine to make more room, I will post it to you if you like...
(I hope the counsil don't mind)  :D
Wayne.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 03:26:28 am »
Well I just took a few pics in its current state of randomness, Im wondering around my house butt naked taking pictures of my hidey hole at 4 am! ha ha my missus is used to my odd behaviour and my nocturnal shenanigans by now!  ;D

I think I will carry on working on it this weekend... :)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 04:42:57 am by Wayneo »

Offline Zyvek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 04:13:18 am »
The theme was storage storage storage, otherwise the bench ends up with too much stuff and no space left to work on anything!  I tried to maximize the 'dead' space under the bench with shelving and containers, the bins on the walls are 'tilt-bins' from Sam's Club.  I thought the overhead cabinets would be a good idea, they look better and hide the clutter but I find I'm not using them as much as I thought. 

Next on the list is to mount an old range hood over the soldering station to help with the fumes for long soldering/desoldering jobs.

As for tidy, I did 'clean  up' a bit before I took the picture so it ain't always that clean!

Threads like these are good, cause they help give me ideas - like Dave's banana jack outlet on the front of his bench for an anti-static strap. Also picked up on a better way to sort resisters as well.  Keep the good ideas coming.  I'm beginning to think the magnetic strips for holding tools might be a better way to go, or at least in addition to the tool holders I already have.

I'm an old school tech getting back into the hobby and I'm wondering if anyone uses the Xcelite handles and blades anymore? They were convenient to have in my tool bag because of the space saving, but on the bench I think I'd rather be able to grab the driver I need without having to switch inserts.  Not that saving space on the bench would be a bad thing either.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 04:15:25 am by Zyvek »
-Z

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 04:37:50 am »
I'm wondering if anyone uses the Xcelite handles and blades anymore? They were convenient to have in my tool bag because of the space saving, but on the bench I think I'd rather be able to grab the driver I need without having to switch inserts.  Not that saving space on the bench would be a bad thing either.

I have one of these tools made by Kamasa and I use it everyday I rate it 10/10!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kamasa-High-Quality-Screwdriver-Set-Precision-30pc-/360254964876?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item53e0de848c

Offline abbtech

• Contributor
    • Alan's Electronic Projects
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 07:37:59 am »
Don't let the wide angle lens fool ya, the room is ~9'X7'. Still not finished, but I was too impatient to wait any longer before setting up.

Nice room! I think you are the one who made the tupperware stock jump. :) Is that a super wide laptop? Or is that just the lens making it look supersized?
Personal projects http://alan-parekh.com
Other cool project ideas http://hackedgadgets.com

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 07:58:00 am »
Ok, I'm horrible with a camera and it's dark here, but I tried.

My workshop is a little larger, but I sleep in here too! I'm jealous of all you guys who sprung for nice storage. I'm still hurting after buying a bunch of shelving. I had to put the books somewhere!

I love peeking at all the details in the lab pictures, and doing that to my pictures unearthed a hard drive I'd lost track of.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 12:13:54 pm »
I'll be setting up my lab room as soon as I've finished the blasted decorating. I'm making the smallest room in my house a lab so it is going to be a 2 bedroom and 1 lab room house. I've also got an outhouse I'll probably do etching in and the UV exsposing if I run out of room in the lab, I think the garden shed that is very solid will escap being used as a work room and get stuff stored in it although I'll be putting my solar panels on it with the battery and inverter inside

Offline kek

• Regular Contributor
    • Ken's Electronics Projects
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 04:20:18 pm »
I've got two cheap plastic tables and a plastic bin holding up my old linux PC and TV. Want to get a proper desk but this will do for now! I use the old PC to play music and as a serial terminal. I have since added a few multimeters (have discovered ebay!).

Ken

Offline cybergibbons

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 04:40:57 pm »
DJPhil - you have a Carl Jung action figure?

Offline Zyvek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 05:15:32 pm »
I'm wondering if anyone uses the Xcelite handles and blades anymore? They were convenient to have in my tool bag because of the space saving, but on the bench I think I'd rather be able to grab the driver I need without having to switch inserts.  Not that saving space on the bench would be a bad thing either.

I have one of these tools made by Kamasa and I use it everyday I rate it 10/10!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kamasa-High-Quality-Screwdriver-Set-Precision-30pc-/360254964876?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item53e0de848c

Thanks, actually since that one comes with a nice bit holder it looks much more practical for bench use. You still have to change bits all the time but it looks very easy to grab the right one. Nice
-Z

Offline Zyvek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 05:18:15 pm »
Nice room! I think you are the one who made the tupperware stock jump. :) Is that a super wide laptop? Or is that just the lens making it look supersized?

A bit of both actually, the smaller laptop on the right is an old Dell D600, 15.4" normal sized, the one on the left is a Dell M90 "workstation" with a widescreen 17" display.  It's a beast, I didn't really pick it myself, one of my team members offered to order me a replacement laptop for and and asked if I wanted to super high performance model. Of course I said "Sure", I think he had an idea that it would be so big and heavy I'd regret it every time I picked it up! Sometimes when I work from home I work down in the Lab, and the D600 is dedicated to the lab - mostly because it has a parallel & serial port.

I'm a sucker for the plastic bins, it somehow magically disguises my clutter as organized. Until you look inside the bin!
-Z

Offline Zyvek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 05:22:01 pm »
Ok, I'm horrible with a camera and it's dark here, but I tried.

I see nice a Tektronix scope there.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 05:23:36 pm by Zyvek »
-Z

Offline Zyvek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 05:35:47 pm »

Awesome!
-Z

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 06:46:55 pm »

Haha, yes I do. A birthday present from my brother (I think it was my 26th). He finds all sorts of strange stuff.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf