Author Topic: Overpriced Stuff........  (Read 11506 times)

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Re: Overpriced Stuff........
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2023, 03:16:29 pm »
The actual gross profits of these companies are usually not amazing because they have competition from many other manufacturers as well as competition for R&D budgets.

According to their financials Keysight has roughly a 60% gross margin and a 20% net margin--$5 billion revenue, $3B GP, $1B net.  Fortive (Fluke/Tek/et al) is in a similar situation.  The companies do fine, although I wouldn't buy either stock as they are too expensive (P/E > 30).
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2023, 03:22:29 pm »
I just bought a TP-Link VDSL2 modem/router/wireless AP for a mate to replace his failing one and it's pure junk. It actually forces you to download an app and sign up for an account just to configure it. No settings in the web GUI at all (although it actually has a HTTP server and web interface for stats). It literally took me an hour to set up because of that garbage. The app kept throwing me out and I'd have to factory reset and start all over again, for no reason at all. Shit like this seems to be a common theme, not just with TP-Link.
Why was an individual buying a VDSL2 modem? They are normally supplied by the ISP. ISPs are the market for these products, The suppliers do what the ISPs want. The ISPs want remote management.

Online mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2023, 09:04:36 pm »
I just bought a TP-Link VDSL2 modem/router/wireless AP for a mate to replace his failing one and it's pure junk. It actually forces you to download an app and sign up for an account just to configure it. No settings in the web GUI at all (although it actually has a HTTP server and web interface for stats). It literally took me an hour to set up because of that garbage. The app kept throwing me out and I'd have to factory reset and start all over again, for no reason at all. Shit like this seems to be a common theme, not just with TP-Link.
Why was an individual buying a VDSL2 modem? They are normally supplied by the ISP. ISPs are the market for these products, The suppliers do what the ISPs want. The ISPs want remote management.

For me, it was control, becuase the router they supplied was crap and locked down to doing what they wanted and reporting back to them. One local fibre company gives you a wifi connection but sets the ssid and passwords etc so you end up advertising for them while not having the ability to stop it from using specific bands of wifi.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2023, 09:40:08 pm »
Costs of electronic components can be a minefield.
You can pay through the nose at usual reputable dealers.
You can take a chance on ebay or with Chinese vendors.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2023, 10:36:17 pm »

In Australia, you can get a modem/router from your ISP (usually for free) if you choose to, but you can also BYO equipment. You can walk into any office supply store or technology store and buy them off the shelf, without any ISP branding or custom firmware. Quite often the ones the ISP supplies are extremely basic. Just enough to get you an internet connection, some kind of Wifi and VoIP. We don't lock our connections down to use specific modems or lock customers out of theirs (even if it was supplied by the ISP).

His router that was supplied years ago by his ISP was very old and was starting to fail. The Wifi became extremely unreliable and after a few clients connected, it became unstable. It was time for an upgrade.

Personally, I use a Netgate appliance running pfSense. From the street, the fibre goes into an NTD which converts it over to copper ethernet, then from there straight into the WAN port of my router for me to do whatever I want with. All the authentication/DHCP etc... is done on my own equipment.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 10:41:56 pm by Halcyon »

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2023, 10:57:49 pm »

In Australia, you can get a modem/router from your ISP (usually for free) if you choose to, but you can also BYO equipment. You can walk into any office supply store or technology store and buy them off the shelf, without any ISP branding or custom firmware. Quite often the ones the ISP supplies are extremely basic. Just enough to get you an internet connection, some kind of Wifi and VoIP. We don't lock our connections down to use specific modems or lock customers out of theirs (even if it was supplied by the ISP).

His router that was supplied years ago by his ISP was very old and was starting to fail. The Wifi became extremely unreliable and after a few clients connected, it became unstable. It was time for an upgrade.

Personally, I use a Netgate appliance running pfSense. From the street, the fibre goes into an NTD which converts it over to copper ethernet, then from there straight into the WAN port of my router for me to do whatever I want with. All the authentication/DHCP etc... is done on my own equipment.
A modem is a modem. It basically either works or it doesn't, and a lot of them are unreliable enough I'd rather the ISP bore the cost of replacement. ISPs usually supply an integrated modem, router and wifi box these days. The non-modem features in those can be basic. However, you can disable the non-modem functions, and provide your own wifi router to connect to the ISP provided modem.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2023, 12:53:50 am »

A modem is a modem. It basically either works or it doesn't, and a lot of them are unreliable enough I'd rather the ISP bore the cost of replacement. ISPs usually supply an integrated modem, router and wifi box these days. The non-modem features in those can be basic. However, you can disable the non-modem functions, and provide your own wifi router to connect to the ISP provided modem.

With VDSL2 connections (as are used here in some areas), it can get a little tricky. Some modems result in faster sync rates than others and may or may not support features like Save Our Showtime (SOS) and Robust Overhead Channel (ROC), which are also used here to maintain sync on poor quality lines.

Online Miyuki

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me on youtube
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2023, 05:28:32 am »

Thank god, kere they started to offer a nice media converter for VDSL, they offer ZYXEL VMG4005-B50A without Zyxel logo and call it just "Terminator"
I was at first thinking about buying it, but it cost like 1.5€/mont to rent, so it does not make much sense to buy it at this price
I am a little nervous that I cannot look at things like signals and so, but it is the same with fiber, you have just your PPPoE parameters to connect
and it just works

Offline TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2023, 12:40:03 pm »
Test equipment may have high gross margins but if you have to run a competitive R&D department to fund it, then someone's got to pay for those salaries.
I don't think Fluke engineers spent a lot of time designing thier SV225 'Stray Voltage Adapter'...  Probably less than $10 BOM (1 3K resistor + 2 PTCs in a plastic case) and retailing for $99.

My meter lacks the LoZ feature, which has recently proved confusing while working on some house mains lighting circuits...   This would be a great adapter to have on hand, but for that price I decided to just add a 2nd meter to my bench and bought Dave's BM235 which includes the feature.

Probably a really easy build, but without knowing the exact parts I'd rather not experiment with the probes in my hands to find out!

Fluke SV225 repair video:https://youtu.be/IOoJmMBE5D8
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 12:44:46 pm by TomKatt »
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PIC

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2023, 12:24:39 am »
I was looking for some ad9201 a2d converters.
£15 + VAT at RS and similar sites.
Looked on Ali Express and they were £1.50 each.
Worked ok too.

PC graphics cards are silly money. The to pend ones while fast seem to waste a lot of energy in heat.
I dont have a graphics card in my pc I just use IGPU.
Plays games ok and does PCBCAD so  I am happy with that.

Offline SmokeyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2023, 01:09:13 am »
Why can I buy a 4-channel Thermocouple "Monitor" without any logging for $30....
(yes I know it says logging but it doesn't actually do that)

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Thermometer-Measurement-328%E2%84%89-2501%E2%84%89-Thermocouple/dp/B0C4Q984H5

But to get actual logging (5000 "groups"? and usb), it costs $75...

https://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-Professional-Thermocouple-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B0C4YTDFKG

Online globoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2023, 05:36:43 pm »
Non-military crimping tools!

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2023, 06:28:42 pm »
https://www.keenlab.de/index.php/product-category/kspot-welder-kit/

... possibly not overpriced but definitely overly seller focused - so you can afford to be aloof  :palm: and  :popcorn: try buying all your gear this way yourself
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2023, 09:03:45 pm »
that is a good machine though its super repeatable. And its super miniaturized, you have like 0402 next to bus bars. I say that its excellent quality

Offline alpher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2023, 09:39:10 pm »
LOL. :) :)
I just repaired this:
https://www.partstown.com/traulsen/tr950-60472-00
All it took was a 7" LCD screen plus resistive touchscreen, all in all with express shipping from aliexpress ~$200.
Yet they will not sell a replacement screens even though the're just plug-ins.
$5K for a simple controller is ridiculous.

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2023, 03:14:18 pm »
that is a good machine though its super repeatable. And its super miniaturized, you have like 0402 next to bus bars. I say that its excellent quality

I assume you're referring to the K weld (not the missile) - just ordered full kit from K weld UK distributor - not exactly sure what to expect or do with it - we shall see  :palm:
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2023, 03:39:31 pm »
... possibly not overpriced but definitely overly seller focused - so you can afford to be aloof  :palm: and  :popcorn: try buying all your gear this way yourself

Not sure I understand -- what do you find wrong with that web shop?  ???

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2023, 06:34:33 pm »

Not sure I understand -- what do you find wrong with that web shop?  ???

you don't know what you don't know

I now know this project is popular with makers who have a 3D printer and they may run their kWeld from a car battery.

It was not very hard to find this out, since the seller focus is on a community - not a single buyer (perhaps) :-\

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2023, 08:23:05 pm »
.. on topic

So, in total you will pay about £450 for a kWeld and kCap with their enclosure kits

hopefully my recently acquired Sorensen power supply will serve as an OK charger - it will undoubtedly be only for occasional use  :palm:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 07:35:48 am by armandine2 »

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2023, 07:34:27 pm »
On my door at work I have an ANCIENT eBay listing for a pair of USED oil-paper capacitors for $172.  The keyword is "Les Paul".
That one made me print it out and hang it up!
Jon

Offline rhodges

• Frequent Contributor
  • Available for embedded projects.
    • My public libraries, code samples, and projects for STM8.
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2023, 12:11:38 am »
On my door at work I have an ANCIENT eBay listing for a pair of USED oil-paper capacitors for $172.  The keyword is "Les Paul".
He was famous for his guitars, so spending his time rolling capacitors was probably not profitable for him. So I assume his hand-rolled capacitors might be rare items.

I don't know, but I think that the original Leyden jars might have some special value as collector pieces. Maybe an enterprising seller could combine the Leyden jars and the Les Paul cap into a superbly retro component.
Currently developing STM8 and STM32. Past includes 6809, Z80, 8086, PIC, MIPS, PNX1302, and some 8748 and 6805. Check out my public code on github. https://github.com/unfrozen

Offline nightfire

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2023, 06:49:57 pm »
This is the same story as with all collectibles that need repairs sometimes, like vintage cars.
Of course you could put in new headlights in a Mercedes 300SL "Gullwing" that have been manufactured recently from a reputable manufacturer (and maybe frome the same OM manufacturer that probably manufactured them also back in the days..), but as this is no genuine part the value of that item will depreciate.
And therefore those old genuine parts have a value to someone, especially when it comes to the exact sound a guitar or amp needs to have.

Fun fact: Steve Vai (for those that not know: Famous guitarist) also had an incident where his guitar tech swapped the bridge pickup on one of his guitars because it seemed defective and tossed it in the trash, replaced it. Steve was freaking out and made the crew search the trash to find it, because of beaing afraid that the guitar would not sound the same anymore because of all the slight tolerances the ears can still hear.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2023, 07:29:04 pm »
Currently overpriced stuff is almost everything and they say it's just the beginning. :-//

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2023, 02:09:32 am »
Sometimes there is a happy medium.
Not so cheap it doesnt work well.
Not so expensive it is over priced.
I bought a very cheap DMM and its accuracy wasnt good.
I found one for twice the price about £20 that was very good.
A lot of pro's insist on Fluke but I have found I dont need to spend that much to get an acceptable product.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2023, 09:21:48 am »
Currently overpriced stuff is almost everything and they say it's just the beginning. :-//

If people are buying stuff, then by definition that stuff cannot be overpriced.

Expensive or too expensive, yes. But not overpriced.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 09:23:19 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf