Author Topic: Pakistan returned the UH-60 Seals stealth helicopter back to the U.S.A.  (Read 24154 times)

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
Unfortunately there is something more to it,
there is a law that Malaysia cannot export to EU anything that looks or smells like cloth. 

Uncle Vernon

This state believes in protecting itself.  I agree with most other people here, I will bury my guns before I let the government come take them.
A curious POV given that most shootings are done by the owners own or their families gun. People carry pistols, what use does a pistol have other than shooting people and guess who's most likely to be shot by a carried pistol?

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
I'm from Texas, so the NRA is a highly supported organization here.  I was told once there are many more guns in Texas than people.  And it has been that way since the 1800's. This state believes in protecting itself.  I agree with most other people here, I will bury my guns before I let the government come take them.

In Australia the govt has indeed took ours. Most of us believe there is no need to protect oneself from the State.  ;) Historically there has been no need to be concerned. And from a law perspective, injuring someone with any weapon other than perhaps your own forehead constitutes using excessive force as is frowned upon when you are defending yourself in court. And yet every morning our city (Sydney) is bombarded (excuse the pun) with at least one news story involving a shooting. And probably, more than likely, it involves an illegal gun and we never get to find out the origin of said weapon. We all just assume the guns handed in are just recycled -cough- and somehow end up back in the hands of the nutters.

iratus parum formica

Offline ngkee22

• Regular Contributor
most shootings here involve illegal guns and those that shoot themselves probably didn't need a gun.

Here in Texas, if someone comes into your home without permission, you automatically have the right to do what ever is necessary.  This has happened several times where the home owner killed the intruder.  The cops in most cases don't do anything to the homeowner.

Uncle Vernon

most shootings here involve illegal guns
Most illegal guns were once legal guns.

and those that shoot themselves probably didn't need a gun.
Those shot with their own gun didn't need a gun either. look at just how high the stats are for those shot with their own gun rightfully defending their property. Your odds aren't good.

Here in Texas, if someone comes into your home without permission, you automatically have the right to do what ever is necessary. This has happened several times where the home owner killed the intruder.
I  have a strong belief a man's home is his castle too. The law here says reasonable force, I'd guess your law doesn't differ too far from that. Pull the trigger and your up to prove your actions were reasonable. A good lawyer can make what is reasonable sound anything but reasonable.

The cops in most cases don't do anything to the homeowner.
Most cases? Better hope your protecting  yourself from someone who isn't well connected.

People really need to look at why they want to possess firearms? Sure there are legitimate uses, but the self protection BS doesn't wash, it's universally proven not to work.
When I've needed it I've had access to a rifle, I've got a circular saw that will cut your head off quick smart too. Both are tools and both are sensibly kept locked away safe unless needed. There is no good reason to have things that can kill or mame at arms length all the time.

Ready availability of firearms just escalates the problem, the social misery and paranoia. Same applies at a national level to armed and ready warheads. It's unnecessary and borderline insanity.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Here in Texas, if someone comes into your home without permission, you automatically have the right to do what ever is necessary.  This has happened several times where the home owner killed the intruder.  The cops in most cases don't do anything to the homeowner.

We have similar laws here in Australia (NSW actually, it's state based), a home invasion law that says you can use reasonable force to defend yourself and your family in your own home. Over and above normal self defense laws.
http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/sessionalview/sessional/act/1998-109.pdf

I can imagine a baseball or cricket bat is MUCH more satisfying than a gun in defending oneself!

Dave.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Ready availability of firearms just escalates the problem, the social misery and paranoia. Same applies at a national level to armed and ready warheads. It's unnecessary and borderline insanity.

I deem that to be quote of the week!

Dave.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
And yet every morning our city (Sydney) is bombarded (excuse the pun) with at least one news story involving a shooting.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/carjacking-of-maserati-latest-in-wave-of-gun-crime-20110215-1av7i.html

The Police Commissioner, Andrew Scipione, said statistics showed gun crime had decreased over the past decade. There were 513 crimes involving a gun in the year to September 2010, down from 1128 offences in 2004.

And that's in the entire state of over 7 million people, and very few people actually die as a result.

And maybe half of those in recent times have involved a feud between two rival family criminal gangs.

Indeed, when anyone dies of a gun crime in Australia, it makes the national nightly news.
So it's all a beat up, we have very low gun crime rates here in Sydney and Ausrtalia in the scheme of things.

Compare it with the US states:
http://www.statemaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-death-rate-per-100-000

Let's take an average figure of 10/100,000
In Sydney if that was the case we'd expect 450 people in Sydney to die of gun related crime per year by US standards. I doubt we even reach 1/100th that figure.

Dave.

Offline PetrosA

• Frequent Contributor
Err, try the military industrial complex that Eisenhower tried to warn everyone about, but ultimately came true.
Possibly the biggest problem the US has (financially) is it's massive military budget that it keeps convincing everyone it needs (by fear, and corruption), that's how the system works.

Or try any other major lobby group in the US that has so much power it's not funny - the NRA, Jewish lobby, the big financiers, drug companies etc etc

Dave.

Everything you wrote proves my point in that a majority of people here acquiesce to this bullshit. A bunch of us bitch and complain and try to paint a picture of things in a more realistic light, but there are way more people who are content to let things keep going the way they have been. Unless that changes, the politicians will continue down the same path since it insures their re-electability. All humans have problems, but only a very few try and work on them before they really effect their lives.

@mechatrommer: You do see a lot about lobby groups on TV here with the exception of "The Jewish" lobby which is only really discussed in far right wing media. Moderate media will discuss Jewish groups lobbying for various things, but no rational person wants to approach the razor's edge of sounding antisemitic or like an extremist screaming about "commie-jew-masons."
I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
People really need to look at why they want to possess firearms? Sure there are legitimate uses, but the self protection BS doesn't wash, it's universally proven not to work.
Yes, guns are totally useless for self defence, most of the time.

If the attacker has a gun you're dead because they will have drawn their weapon before you can reach yours.

A gun won't protect you against a surprise attack from an unarmed person. A woman carrying a gun won't stop her from being raped by a strong man who'll just pin her down before she can even reach her weapon.

If the attacker has a knife they can stab you before you have chance to draw your weapon.

If someone wants to mug you, they'll sneak up on you behind you back and hit you over the head, they'll distract you so you're not prepared for it.

The only legitimate uses for guns are: hunting, pest control and target practise. The only reason for carrying a gun on the street would be to kill feral foxes.

Offline Leo Bodnar

• Frequent Contributor
I think a lot of gun appeal comes from movies where two gentlemen have a witty chat over whisky before inflicting quickly healing flesh wound on each other. 
The reality must be ugly and senseless.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
And yet every morning our city (Sydney) is bombarded (excuse the pun) with at least one news story involving a shooting.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/carjacking-of-maserati-latest-in-wave-of-gun-crime-20110215-1av7i.html

The Police Commissioner, Andrew Scipione, said statistics showed gun crime had decreased over the past decade. There were 513 crimes involving a gun in the year to September 2010, down from 1128 offences in 2004.

And that's in the entire state of over 7 million people, and very few people actually die as a result.

And maybe half of those in recent times have involved a feud between two rival family criminal gangs.

Indeed, when anyone dies of a gun crime in Australia, it makes the national nightly news.
So it's all a beat up, we have very low gun crime rates here in Sydney and Ausrtalia in the scheme of things.

Compare it with the US states:
http://www.statemaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-death-rate-per-100-000

Let's take an average figure of 10/100,000
In Sydney if that was the case we'd expect 450 people in Sydney to die of gun related crime per year by US standards. I doubt we even reach 1/100th that figure.

Dave.

Point taken. So you are saying I have nothing to worry about worry about worry about worry about...

I know I am safe by staying under the doona.
 ;D
iratus parum formica

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Point taken. So you are saying I have nothing to worry about worry about worry about worry about...

The boogie monster and Murphy are real dangers, I advise staying under the doona at least until summer kicks in!

Dave.

Uncle Vernon

Heck no it's only a matter of time before some obscure and wholly unsubstantiated link between Doona filling and testicular caner is discovered. Tontine will be exposed the next corporate criminal, the purveyors of The Death Doona.

Hell I once lived in a fibro house so I know if I get lung cancer, piles or alcoholic poisoning any time in the next 70 years, I'll be able to place blame fairly at the Hardie corporation.

We have nationally funded research that is day by day proving that every member of the periodic table is a killer so don't for a moment think anywhere is safe!

Funny old world isn't it, people are certain carbon will kill them and yet they feel quite at ease encouraging cycling on a peak hour motorways?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Funny old world isn't it

I'm convinced the world it batshit crazy.
But hey, I can't talk, I'm contributing to it...

Dave.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf