Author Topic: pay pal and craigslist.  (Read 7695 times)

Offline billsTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
pay pal and craigslist.
« on: March 31, 2015, 03:53:10 am »
I am selling my wife's car on Craigslist( I will include a link but this is not a offer to sell to forum members)
A person said he would like to buy it, said it was a fair price wanted to pay me with paypal full price.
he said he is stationed @ maxwell afb in Georgia, and have some one come and pick it up (SCAM ALERT)
If he pays by friends and family can it be refunded by them? ( the hair on the back of my neck is saying scam)
I made him an offer to send me a deposit and he can pay cash when he or his agent picks it up.
I am not in a hurry to sell this ,but if a service member needs a car I would love to help him out.
What do you think?
link http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/ct ... 50478.html
bill
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
Re: pay pal and craigslist.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 05:16:22 am »
Absolutely do not use paypal for that.

Hard cash or wire transfer only.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline Chipmunk

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 05:21:14 am »
Yeah I'd second what marshallh said. Paypal are NOT to be trusted. The 'stationed at an airbase' is also common in these scams, precisely to cash in on what you've expressed: an urge to help out service members. Don't fall for it

If he IS genuine, which I severely doubt, your idea of the deposit and the cash on collection is sensible and wouldn't insult a genuine buyer

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 05:46:01 am »
That's definitely a scam.
1) loves your fair price...
2) willing to pay full price (no one does this, they always negotiate)
3) service member, so you feel like you want to help
4) on active duty, deployed, whatever, so they can't come themself, a family member will come
5) the final thing that nails it for me is usually the email comes within 30 minutes after I post it.

I sell ALOT on craigslist, I've seen these time and time again.

I just delete them when they come.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 05:56:41 am »
1. Airbase most likely will be considered as an 'unconfirmed address' by Paypal, in which case you will not be covered by Paypal seller protection policy
2. He can claim item was not received, and get Paypal to refund the payment
3. "Help a service member" - very sentimental but stop this #*, it was his choice.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 06:57:21 am »
1) loves your fair price...
2) willing to pay full price (no one does this, they always negotiate)

Actually, I do it all the time. If I believe a price is fair I'll pay it without haggling. Happy buyer, happy seller, win/win.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 07:15:56 am »
Have him send the money to the person who is picking it up, and THEY can hand you the cash.
If he trusts "them" with his car, then he should trust them with his money.
Else, I agree if it is not a scam, then it is indistinguishable from one.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 11:06:02 am »
if it is not a scam, then it is indistinguishable from one.

I agree.

Hard cash, as is.

Nothing else.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 11:19:41 am »
I was paid with a hacked paypal account so it does happen. 

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 12:12:09 pm »
Regardless of cars or anything else... NEVER take PayPal for an in-person transaction.  If the buyer makes a claim, you have nothing to prove they actually got the item. 

It's like taking credit cards - the MERCHANT is the one who bears 100% of the risk, not the buyer.  Buyers fall prey to the PayPal scam because they mistakenly think the buyer is taking the risk when credit cards and also with PayPal.  The money isn't really yours until the 45-60 day claim window is over.

If someone insists on using PayPal, they can simply withdraw the $$ from their PayPal account and give it to you in cash.  You aren't a bank so don't take the risks of one.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 12:24:14 pm »
Regardless of cars or anything else... NEVER take PayPal for an in-person transaction.  If the buyer makes a claim, you have nothing to prove they actually got the item. 

It's like taking credit cards - the MERCHANT is the one who bears 100% of the risk, not the buyer.  Buyers fall prey to the PayPal scam because they mistakenly think the buyer is taking the risk when credit cards and also with PayPal.  The money isn't really yours until the 45-60 day claim window is over.

If someone insists on using PayPal, they can simply withdraw the $$ from their PayPal account and give it to you in cash.  You aren't a bank so don't take the risks of one.

Even if paid as PayPal gift?

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 12:48:19 pm »
Can you use simple bank transaction for initial or full payment? If buyer has PayPal account, he/she also should have proper bank account.

I am not sure how it is in US with bank transfers, but in EU if transfer is made you cannot simply take it back (legal reasons, bank and police officials are required) - this is much better than PayPal for simple transactions.

Online helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 01:18:34 pm »
In the US, most banks charge between $15-30 per domestic wire transfer, which might be waived if you have a very large account at the bank. Fees for international transfers are much higher.
Several years back, I needed to send money to Germany for a purchase. It cost considerably less to change dollars to euros at American Express and mail them in an envelope compared to what it would cost to transfer it through my bank.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 01:25:37 pm »
In the US, most banks charge between $15-30 per domestic wire transfer, which might be waived if you have a very large account at the bank. Fees for international transfers are much higher.
Several years back, I needed to send money to Germany for a purchase. It cost considerably less to change dollars to euros at American Express and mail them in an envelope compared to what it would cost to transfer it through my bank.
Domestic transfer costs like robbery then. Domestic or international transfers within EU/EEA members are much cheaper.

On the other hand, $15-30 is not that much for a car if buyer is interested.

Offline Tallie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 02:48:01 pm »
Well, one clue that it's a scam is that Maxwell AFB is located in Alabama, not Georgia...

Offline billsTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 05:51:37 pm »
No I am not going for it.
Just wondering how the scam worked,since pay pal refund does not cover cars.
I seems that buyer would have to do a credit card charge back.
thanks for the replies
bill
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Biff383

• Regular Contributor
  • Oh Crap!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 05:56:55 pm »
 :phew:

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 06:09:07 pm »
Also, the Paypal refund window was recently extended to 6 months instead of 45 days.

So good luck, and think twice before using it. Never use it for any transaction you can't afford to flush down the toilet in a loss.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 03:54:21 am »
6 months ? I'm going to stop accepting paypal if I have to worry about 6 months in the future.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 04:23:22 am »
Just wondering how the scam worked,since pay pal refund does not cover cars.
I seems that buyer would have to do a credit card charge back.

They use a stolen credit card to fund the PayPal transaction.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 03:53:37 pm »
Also, the Paypal refund window was recently extended to 6 months instead of 45 days.

So good luck, and think twice before using it. Never use it for any transaction you can't afford to flush down the toilet in a loss.

6 months in some cases... but IIRC it has to be either an eBay item, or something that was purchased using "PayPal checkout".  So if you have a checkout process on your website and accept PayPal for payments, that's not covered by the 6-month buyer protection unless you are actually using the whole PayPal checkout system.

There's a list of things which are excluded from the 180-day buyer protection, which include cars and anything you pick up in person. 

But you are spot on - never use PayPal if it's something you're not willing to lose the money on or unless you have to use PayPal - they are an unregulated bank.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf