Author Topic: Paypal has gotten retarded  (Read 5419 times)

Offline slateraptorTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Paypal has gotten retarded
« on: April 10, 2012, 06:22:50 pm »
Evidently, Paypal's recent policy switchover has incorporated a system of withholding funds for a ridiculously long time...as in the funds were deposited into my account 3 days ago but is inaccessible until an estimated date of April 23. WTF?! >:(

After 10 years of eBay, the camel has broken its back. I can't believe sellers are seriously putting up with this crock of shit.

Offline Chet T16

• Frequent Contributor
    • Retro-Renault
Re: Paypal has gotten retarded
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 06:31:18 pm »
Is that not because it's an echeck/echeque?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Chet
Paid Electron Wrestler

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:41:41 pm »
PayPals security verification is now a real pita. My credit card expired and I updated my details with my new card.Three months later and I'm still not verified (lost interest) I'll only bang my head against a wall for so long, bye bye paypal.
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 07:00:02 pm »
Evidently, Paypal's recent policy switchover has incorporated a system of withholding funds for a ridiculously long time...
maybe due to ebay/paypal buyer protection policy (45 days period for dispute, another 20 days for "excalate to claim") if seller is found guilty (item not received by buyer), the money will go back to the buyer, even if the seller did send the item and lost in shipping.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 11:30:29 pm »
I just transferred funds to my bank account within the usual 3 days. Nothing seems changed to me.

Dave.

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:44:38 pm »
ebay seems to the culprit here.  I recently sold a box of books for $25 and the payment was held for 3 weeks.  Actually, it was 2 boxes of books for shipping and there was no way to convince ebay's on-line shipping to ship 2 boxes for one bid so I had to do deal with the post office directly.

In the ebay mentality, since I didn't do the shipping via their site and I didn't have a tracking number, they essentially considered the order unshipped and waited a week or two past the estimated arrival date to release the funds.

By the time it was all finished a few bucks went to ebay and a few more to PayPal so it was hardly worth the effort.

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 04:21:55 pm »
It must be different for ebay/paypal outside Australia or something. The only time I don't have funds instantly released to me is when someone pays via eCheque (which is when they have no money in paypal and fund it from a bank account, which takes a few days to clear). Postage you can do any way you want, and manually mark items as shipped. The only issue is buyer protection. If someone complains that you never sent an item, and you haven't sent it via a trackable/registered method, you're out of luck and paypal refunds your money back to them. Seems quite fair to me, protects both sides - just ship everything registered post and include the cost in your postage.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 06:02:37 pm »
> when someone pays via eCheque
Isn't that "most of the time"?  That seems to be how paypal encourages buyers to fund their purchases.

Offline Ajahn Lambda

• Regular Contributor
  • quecksilberdampfgleichrichter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 07:05:32 pm »
ebay seems to the culprit here.

Bingo. 

I haven't had any problems with Paypal, outside of eBay.  Inside the eBay biosphere, they do seem to make things easier for the buyer than the seller IMHO.

Offline slateraptorTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 07:55:51 pm »
Well, it's Paypal. But I'm not so frustrated now since I've gotten official clarification.

Three criteria must be met in order to prevent this particular hold from occurring:

1) $250 total sales
2) 25 items sold
3) 90 days since first item sold

From the history rip that the rep pulled on my account, the only thing that hasn't been satisfied is criterion 2; the recent item sold was the 16th.

The problem was further exacerbated by the tracking number. Since I used my local post office rather than eBay's middleman service to ship, I had to manually input the tracking number for the item and mark it shipped in my seller profile. The shit part about the predicament is if you enter the tracking number manually, it doesn't register with Paypal immediately (or ever??) unless you log into your Paypal account and log it in the transaction's details. So the approximated April 23 release date still reflects on my Paypal account, but I can call their customer service 3 days after the tracking number reflects the item being delivered and tell them to release the funds...which is still pretty shit since it effectively saves me only a weekend. Oh well.

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 11:34:44 am »
> when someone pays via eCheque
Isn't that "most of the time"?  That seems to be how paypal encourages buyers to fund their purchases.

eCheque is whenever Paypal isn't entirely sure they are actually going to get the funds to send you. For example, is the buyer has no money in their Paypal account, but they have a linked bank account to draw from, it takes a couple of days. If the bank withdrawal is declined, the eCheque gets declined. If they have funds in their account, its an instant transfer.

The other way to still do an "Instant" transfer while still transferring from a bank account, is to link a credit card to your account. If the bank withdrawal fails, Paypal simply uses your credit card as a backup.

I would say 95% of payments I receive are the instant type. The credit card backup option is actually quite good if you think about it. A regular bank transfer takes a few days, which means delayed shipment. Paying by credit card involves (more) fees. Best of both worlds this way ;) Paypal does actually have a few things going for it despite all the negative media.

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 11:03:08 pm »
Greetings EEVBees:

--I agree that the eBay folks can be a bunch of boorish twits. I often order items from HK, which take more that 30 days to arrive. After 30 days, eBay sends me, an Email that reminds me to leave feedback. The Email also adds the admonition: "Don't forget to pay your seller". Joy. Previously eBay has reminded me to rebid on items, because "In order to win, you have to bid" If anybody working for me ever sent a similar Email to a customer, I would fire them.
What arrogant bastards. Arrrg.

“The main difference for the history of the world if I had been shot rather than Kennedy, is that Onassis probably wouldn't have married Mrs Khrushchev.”
Nikita Sergeyevich Krushchev 1894 - 1971

Best Regards
Clear Ether
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:07:01 am by SgtRock »

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 11:16:07 pm »
I ordered something on ebay 4 months ago and after that my payment got rebounded .
Oh well the digital vernier came ( i got back the full sum in my bank !  :P )
4 months later another order came too ... LOL ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf