Author Topic: PC Power Switch - What's it called?  (Read 6798 times)

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
PC Power Switch - What's it called?
« on: September 08, 2015, 10:40:27 am »

What is this type of switch called? I'd like to order some but no idea where to start.

Will probably need a mix of momentary and "latching" style ones. Current handling isn't important as it's running through an ATX power supply. It just needs that mounting bracket and actuator to fit most PC cases.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 10:42:51 am by Halcyon »

Offline ethan_leonardo

Re: PC Power Switch - What's it called?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 11:52:15 am »
There is a very popular switch in the PC modding community called an Anti-Vandal switch. It's perfect because you only have to drill a hole and attach it with the nut included. Even better is it's designed for custom projects.   

Here is a good example. Most places sell momentary and latching.

Offline Balaur

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 01:03:33 pm »
It's a fairly common switch type. I usually look for push-button switches.

Maybe something similar:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/TV5-Push-Button-Switch-MPS11-Series/320594_574697239.html?storeId=320594

I've recently needed something like that for repairing vintage Hi-Fi:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5pcs-Pushbutton-Switches-Sockets-with-16A-125V-AC-TV-5-Rating-UL-CSA-Approvals/1957516117.html

It's a direct replacement for the original Pioneer switch (sold on eBay for x10 the price).

EDIT: Apparently, this series is a MPS11 and there are several variants. It's only Single Pole though, you may have to dig around for Double Pole
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:06:23 pm by Balaur »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 01:15:30 pm »
Bit expensive, but here's a source: http://www.pccables.com/products/03200.html

Include "AT" and "Case" in your search to avoid endless links to Network switches when you're searching.

McBryce.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:18:13 pm by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 01:39:17 pm »

What is this type of switch called? I'd like to order some but no idea where to start.

Will probably need a mix of momentary and "latching" style ones. Current handling isn't important as it's running through an ATX power supply. It just needs that mounting bracket and actuator to fit most PC cases.

How many do you need?  And can you wait ?

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 01:52:43 pm »
Note that a latching switch will not work with ATX as that expects a momentary power-on signal. It will just turn itself off a few seconds later.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 07:20:13 pm »

Just a handful or so, no rush. They are for my vintage PC projects :-)

Note that a latching switch will not work with ATX as that expects a momentary power-on signal. It will just turn itself off a few seconds later.

The latching type works great with ATX to AT converter cables (in fact they are required). Power is only applied when you short the pins. When they are released power is off straight away. I'm guessing the motherboard does something similar as different boards have different timeouts and settings. (I'm talking about the actual power-on signalling pins on the ATX connector, not the pin header on the motherboard.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 07:29:36 pm by Halcyon »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 07:35:39 pm »

The motherboard does, the PSU expects you to hold the line low.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 09:49:18 pm »

Of course it will. I use an ATX PSU as a bench PSU on occassions and I just permanently short the green wire with a GND wire to turn it on.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 10:06:02 pm »
I expect you'll find that sort of switch available from several major manufacturers.  It'd probably be most easily found by flipping through their catalogs.  Cherry, Apem, C&K would be a good start.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 03:53:06 am »
In under a minute, the push button type latching switch can be converted to non latching. Just pry up the tabs with a small screwdriver, remove the cover, remove the bit that makes it latch, then reassemble using pliers to reclose the tabs. Great for repurposing the power switches in some AV devices, such as the old DVD player I turned into a compact gaming/media PC.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 01:27:11 pm »

Just a handful or so, no rush. They are for my vintage PC projects :-)

I can send some to you free of charge.  Savaged from old defective power supplies.  They are all latching type.  You can PM your address.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 03:18:23 pm »
The switch in the picture you posted is an AT (rather than ATX) power switch. It normally handles mains voltage/current levels and is latching.

This is an ATX motherboard switch which is non latching:

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 07:29:40 pm »
The switch in the picture you posted is an AT (rather than ATX) power switch. It normally handles mains voltage/current levels and is latching.

This is an ATX motherboard switch which is non latching:

Yes that's right. Sorry I should have been more specific. I've been using ATX power supplies in some of my old computers which would normally take AT supplies. I have the requisite converter cables, it's just the switch doesn't always connect or fit properly with the spade connectors, a replacement latching switch is sometimes required. Just depends on the design of the case.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf