Author Topic: PCB flux cleaning KONTAKT LR vs KONTAKT PCC are there diffrences?  (Read 1640 times)

Offline ESXiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Just a hobbyist
Yo folks,

Soldering station is running again almost all day now since I have nothing else to do. So I ordered new caps for 4 HiFi speakers I have here, and waiting for complete refurbishment.
Already did one and forgot that I have no flux cleaner... I don't like the nasty look of flux next to my new components (OCD/perfectionism) my vintage speakers need to be in perfect state.

I did one board with break cleaner and a tooth brush and washed it off with water just after cleaning it carefully. This is obviously NOT the right way (I know..) !
Used to have KONTAKT LR back in the days, but ran out and never actually got new cans.. Until now, working on amps and really need cleaning.

Are there big differences between PCB cleaners or are they just all as effective or even the same?

KONTAKT LR
EAN: 5412386840135

VS

KONTAKT PCC
EAN: 5412386058608

Just wondering.
I need to remove some flux that was sitting there for 30 or 40 years, and some of my new flux. I know the LR worked but is slightly more expensive, is there even a difference? The website I want to order it from says nothing special just that LR can do more so is it more aggressive / concentrated?
my elcheapo lab:
Hantek DSO5102P, KSGER T12 STM32 V2.1S + safety mods, RD6018W DC variable power supply, Quick 861DW, Quick 201B, Telequipment D1011, Optika ST-50LED (ringlight modded)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: PCB flux cleaning KONTAKT LR vs KONTAKT PCC are there diffrences?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 12:47:32 am »
Dunno about LR but PCC IMHO isn't much better than simple IPA. I had used Fluxclene from Electrolube which was much better.

The following users thanked this post: ESXi

• Regular Contributor
  • Just a hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 12:56:48 am »
Dunno about LR but PCC IMHO isn't much better than simple IPA. I had used Fluxclene from Electrolube which was much better.
Yep. Used to have IPA. But IPA is all out of stock now because of SARS-CoV-2.. What I did like about LR was the brushed head. It's almost the same as a tooth brush and IPA, but I think a little bit more aggressive.

Ah whatever I just order one can of PCC and see how it works out, I know that LR works fine, but whatever lets try this one now and see how it works. If I order both cans and some soldering tin that's almost 60 USD. Bit too expensive for just what I need to do right now.

Eh I checked out Fluxclene, looks nice. Thing is they don't sell it in the shop I want to order my parts from (Conrad Electronic), what a bummer..

PCC it is..
my elcheapo lab:
Hantek DSO5102P, KSGER T12 STM32 V2.1S + safety mods, RD6018W DC variable power supply, Quick 861DW, Quick 201B, Telequipment D1011, Optika ST-50LED (ringlight modded)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 02:34:19 am »
Kontakt LR and PCC are the same thing, it's just the German vs English product name (LR = Leiterplattenreiniger, PCC = printed circuit cleaner, which mean the same thing).

I vehemently disagree that Kontakt LR is hardly better than IPA; it's definitely much better. But I do agree that Fluxclene is better still.

I really like Techspray E-line defluxer, which is very similar to Kontakt LR, but with an even better brush (natural bristles instead of nylon). Alas, my usual supplier for it (Distrelec) has stopped carrying it.

FYI, Reichelt still has IPA in stock, part number RND 605-00129.

• Regular Contributor
  • Just a hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 10:01:55 pm »
BTW, if you want a really good flux remover, consider limonene, a very good universal solvent that dissolved sticker adhesives, flux, baked flux and more.
It can't be used alone as it leaves a oily residue. Always post-clean it with alcohol.
As a bonus, it is much less toxic and is used as a dietary supplement and fragrance.

If you need some in a pinch, squeeze on an orange peel, the oily stuff is some quick limonene.

Good tip. I used to do this kind of trick on my 2 stroke moped tank which had some rust inside. Worked well.
By the way. Last time for me that I use break cleaner for something else. Got a nice mark on my desk, lol.. Clear coat is eaten away. It's just too aggressive stuff. Anyways whatever, I ordered a can of PCC for the meanwhile I just put them back together half ass and clean them afterwards. Order will arrive 4-4 4-3 so, that's not too bad.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 06:42:52 pm by ESXi »
my elcheapo lab:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf