Author Topic: PCB mount female IDC connector  (Read 3617 times)

Offline honeybadgerTopic starter

• Contributor
PCB mount female IDC connector
« on: December 01, 2019, 10:58:27 pm »
Hi,
I need a PCB mount female IDC connector and I can not find any. All female IDC connector are for a ribbon cable. Is there any other name for them?
Mouser, TME - no luck.

It does exist! There is a proof  ;D

edit:
wow, the price is ridiculous - is there only one manufacturer on this planet?
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/sullins-connector-solutions/SFH11-PBPC-D05-ST-BK/S9194-ND/1990087
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 11:17:29 pm by honeybadger »

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Contributor
Re: PCB mount female IDC connector
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 11:26:08 pm »
mikeselectricstuff: thanks, I hoped there will be something available from Mouser/TME/Farnell which are my primary source of stuff.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 11:39:39 pm »
At Mouser try searching for Female Headers in wire to board connectors.

Offline Gribo

• Frequent Contributor
I am available for freelance work.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 07:39:54 am »
    You are probably having unnecessary difficulty in your searches because there's no such critter as a "PCB mount female IDC connector" and there can never be. 
    Lets break it down:

• "PCB mount" = solders direct to a board
    • "female" = has socket contacts (as opposed to pin contacts, which it mates with)
    • "IDC" = insulation displacement connector i.e. permanently connects direct to wire/cable without crimping or soldering

"Female IDC" makes sense - that's usually a normal ribbon cable connector, "PCB mount Female" is a simple female header, though you should probably specify two row 0.1" pitch if you want something that mates with the same stuff as the ribbon cable connector, and finally "PCB mount IDC" is a non-removable wire to board connector.   

Pick any two, as more than that's contradictory and will give zero results from any supplier with a properly set up search that ANDs keywords! 

Google search is a vague mess that wont AND keywords unless you wrap each phrase in quotes, then will almost certainly tell you it cant match them all so here's the useless popularity search results.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 08:51:55 am by Ian.M »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 08:38:32 am »
Yes, it's not "IDC", it's female pin header.

Look at Chinese sources at Aliexpress/Ebay. I have used Chinese pin headers for years no problems with quality, the distributor prices at Digikey/Mouser/similar are totally ridiculous, and the availability of the basic parts is iffy.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 11:58:02 am »
I understand it is not "IDC" but male IDC connectors are also called "IDC" even when here is no insulation displacement.

Female pinheader is not the same. Yes you can plug it in but there is no key and IDC has thicker edge. You have to fiddle a bit.

Mouser does not have any "female IDC" they have a ton of "female pinheaders".

Female pinheader 6p

Female "IDC" 6p

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 01:17:54 pm »
The keyword you want that specifies a header with surround, usually with polarising notch is "box header"

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 02:04:32 am »
Yes, it's not "IDC", it's female pin header.

Look at Chinese sources at Aliexpress/Ebay. I have used Chinese pin headers for years no problems with quality, the distributor prices at Digikey/Mouser/similar are totally ridiculous, and the availability of the basic parts is iffy.

Yeah, there are a ridiculous number of variations and parts for female IDC header that you will not find on digikey. Although I did use one of those Sullins parts and the quality is good, so perhaps for some high end gear its worth it, but for a one time plug to assemble unit, not worth it.

You have to be careful as some will have extended width, some will not, so know exactly what you are looking for and the mating part (or buy both parts from same vendor). For example this one: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=557110089384 it is a bit skinnier vertically, and you can see the sides have the square for a pin but its blocked off (presumably saves some mold costs). But it works well enough.

Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 02:19:10 am »
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/sullins-connector-solutions/SFH11-PBPC-D08-ST-BK/S9196-ND/1990089

didn't count the pins so you better check that.
 It was under the filter "board to board" among others.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 02:50:00 am »
Is this for production or small run/shelfware? There are tons of them on Ebay:

5Pcs 2X10 20Pin 2.54MM Double Row Female = £2.16

Offline stevelup

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 08:21:00 am »
Those aren’t what the OP is looking for. He’s after something that replicates the size and shape of an IDC plug.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 11:34:15 am »
Admittedly they don't have the keyway and side fillers, and if those are important then you are right that these are not the ones for the job. For PCB mating those tend not to be so important because the facility they provide (orientation and position) tend to be rather more fixed than with cables...

Offline crackwitz

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2024, 06:31:41 pm »
If you're looking for an edge-mount header, or you want to submit a gerber with funky looking slots for "TH pads" to the PCB fab...

Some while ago I ordered a dongle for a J-Link, for that 2x10-pin male IDC header on these things. As you can imagine, the dongle needed to present the matching female side.

Whoever designed it just used a female header with insulation-displacing knife contacts... and left the second plastic piece off, and soldered those knives to a PCB. The space between the knives, for the PCB to go, is about 1.1 mm, according to some dimension schematics I found on google. The dongle's PCB was correspondingly thinner than normal.

The pads for a footprint would be shifted 0.025" one way on the top side and 0.025" the other way on the bottom, for a 0.050" pitch, matching the ribbon cable. I might give a 1.2 mm PCB a try but that might be tight and bending the contacts.

Attached picture is from a random aliex listing, shows the insulation-displacing knives in detail.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 06:36:17 pm by crackwitz »

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2024, 06:48:17 pm »
*NOT* good.  The back half of the IDC connector is what retains the contacts.  Without it or some other means of anchoring the shell, you can pull the shell off the contacts with fairly low force, e.g. friction from the shell of a tight mating connector and will have the devils own job getting it back on!

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf