Author Topic: Andy/Photonicinduction Alive And Well  (Read 83435 times)

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Andy/Photonicinduction Alive And Well
« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2021, 05:33:53 pm »
It just needs windows to be fixed or reiand reliable nstalled.
That's true, but how long will it be before it goes wrong again?

With the exception of Windows 3.11, Windows 10 has been the most robust and reliable release I've used.
There is probably some hardware or other conflict that is preventing Windows update from installing so it just reverts back every time.
No, it definitely updates. It just deletes stuff it doesn't like, for some bizarre reason. I get fed up with fixing it. |O

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2021, 07:07:39 pm »
I love Windows 10 so much I just bought another Mac. Also I can pretend I have no idea how to fix it then when I'm perpetually asked. "I'm a mac user so no idea"  :-DD

Killer was Windows 10 20H2 where they actually broke Alt-tab to the point it's unusable. For some users (both of my computers), it switches randomly between the second and third window each time you do it. 25 years of muscle memory down the shitter. It's QA breaking changes like that which completely finished it for me. The thousandth paper cut. Unfortunately I still have to put up with the corp turd Dell for the near future until I've ported some stuff from Windows to Linux >:(
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 07:09:34 pm by bd139 »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2021, 10:57:41 pm »
No, it definitely updates. It just deletes stuff it doesn't like, for some bizarre reason. I get fed up with fixing it. |O

Andy sent me screen shot that I shared here that shows the "restoring your previous version of Windows", that's what it does when an update fails.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2021, 11:36:24 pm »
Ah standard shite. Last one of them I had I left it. It had a spinny rust disk in it which takes forever, something MS staff seem not to care about. Took 14 hours but eventually unfucked itself.

You can boot into recovery mode as well and tell it to reinstall windows and keep files. Whack F11 like a mentalist and follow the fairly well described menu entries.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #129 on: January 04, 2021, 12:16:08 am »
Friends don't let friends use Windows.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, Red Squirrel, schmitt trigger

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2021, 05:40:33 am »
It just needs windows to be fixed or reiand reliable nstalled.
That's true, but how long will it be before it goes wrong again?

With the exception of Windows 3.11, Windows 10 has been the most robust and reliable release I've used.
There is probably some hardware or other conflict that is preventing Windows update from installing so it just reverts back every time.

You're talking about an OS which forces you to manually install a vendor driver to update it, then proceeds on the next boot to force you to reinstall the Microsoft supplied driver which is incompatible with the update you just installed, which results in a fallback to VGA mode, and a really difficult loop to break out before you can force it to ignore the driver they're trying to shove down your throat, despite knowing full well that it won't work.

It's an untested pile of vomit, much like every other version, except now they change the flavour on a weekly basis.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: January 04, 2021, 08:55:42 am »

Andy sent me screen shot that I shared here that shows the "restoring your previous version of Windows", that's what it does when an update fails.
My dad's PC didn't to that, it just randomly uninstalled his software, but you're right, if it does that, any software installed after the previous restore point, will be gone.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2021, 08:57:39 am »
Friends don't let friends use Windows.

Not since mainstream support for Windows 7 ended in 2015, no. :-P

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline RumbaMon

« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2021, 04:35:31 am »
Any further news?? Any idea if he is coming back to YT? He has got a great Fan-Following after all waiting for him to be back ASAP.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2021, 07:28:44 am »
yes I have some new respect for his work when I got a 2000 amp resistance soldering transformer a while back, I have been able to do flame straitening of metal using nothing but resistance.

Not very useful compared to normal electircal welding but it is quite interesting, since you do fine work with 4/0 gauge cable. I don't think I would have thought to try the method out if I did not remember his you tube channel. It is a little slow and tedious and the control is a little wonky because of soot but it is a very tame process. It is only a single phase (20A) unit with a massive step down ratio. It is interesting how voltage almost ceases to matter when doing this. And if you do it for a while its quite a work out dealing with those gigantic cables. Also the cost is very little so I can attempt some serious bullshit work *untouchable materials, seriously warped failed projects* that would make me question the use of acetylene (the only other way I could do it)

I am guessing its not popular because using high current tools by hand is very unwieldy, difficult and slow, compared to a cute little induction heater.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:36:16 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2021, 05:45:05 pm »
Whenever I'm feeling down or depressed, I watch the video where he throws a big rock into a spinning washing machine. That always cheers me up.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2021, 12:43:30 am »
Whenever I'm feeling down or depressed, I watch the video where he throws a big rock into a spinning washing machine. That always cheers me up.

As I recall he was inspired to do that by a late friend of mine. Memories..

I hope he's still doing well.

Offline lurntwubber

« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2021, 11:05:07 am »
After doing my quarterly check to see if Andy had posted any more videos i found this thread!

Firstly, very happy he is alive, well and not currently in India - but if Mr Eevblog can relay the message i am more than happy to assist in any computer woes, even if it's just pointing in the right direction. It is my bread and butter, and the least i could do for the hours of hilarious, questionably safe, beer swilling electronic tom-foolery.

Can provide email/FBmessenger/whatsapp on reqeuest.

Might want to also add, more than happy to edit some videos too, maybe you can knock up an NDA alongside that health and safety document  :-+

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2021, 11:06:55 am »
After doing my quarterly check to see if Andy had posted any more videos i found this thread!

Firstly, very happy he is alive, well and not currently in India - but if Mr Eevblog can relay the message i am more than happy to assist in any computer woes, even if it's just pointing in the right direction. It is my bread and butter, and the least i could do for the hours of hilarious, questionably safe, beer swilling electronic tom-foolery.

Can provide email/FBmessenger/whatsapp on reqeuest.

Might want to also add, more than happy to edit some videos too, maybe you can knock up an NDA alongside that health and safety document  :-+

His contact email is on his Youtube profile I believe.

Offline lurntwubber

« Reply #139 on: May 06, 2021, 09:05:36 pm »
Ah, so it is.

Sent.  ^-^

Offline Giaime

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2021, 01:37:28 pm »

He's VERY alive it seems  ;D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 01:46:39 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: tom66, Towger, pardo-bsso, joeqsmith, sandalcandal

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2021, 04:09:27 pm »
He's comprehensively addressed his PC issue:

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Red Squirrel

Offline The Soulman

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2021, 07:05:18 pm »
Yep, good to see he is back, he even gained a couple of pounds.  :-DD  :-+

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2021, 08:30:52 pm »
Yep, good to see he is back, he even gained a couple of pounds.  :-DD  :-+
Stopping smoking can do that. I hope he does go to the gym. It would be good to have him around for many years to come.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #144 on: June 07, 2021, 08:36:30 pm »
I want flames.

:rant:
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2021, 01:46:12 am »

Yep, looks sorted  :-+

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2021, 05:23:54 am »

Yep, looks sorted  :-+

We've all done it. Not all will admit it.  :)
iratus parum formica

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #147 on: June 09, 2021, 08:29:05 pm »
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

The following users thanked this post: Red Squirrel

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
Re: Andy/Photonicinduction passed away (unconfirmed)
« Reply #148 on: June 09, 2021, 09:03:51 pm »
His now deleted last video has a long rant about how he's pissed off + upset with the UK government who refused his new wife a visa.

Without knowing all the true details, we can't judge anything.

I don't know the rules about UK, but in US, you can visit the US with intention of getting married and apply for green card, but only under K visa.
If you attempt to do so under a B1/B2 visa or under visa-free program, you will be refused entrance at the best case, or be deported (which implies a 5-year ban) at the worst case.
And if you wonder -- with a legit invitation letter, US consulates are almost guaranteed to issue a K visa.
So why bother? Well, it's just bureaucracy.

I think there is a chance that UK has the same setting, and his wife simply came to UK without a proper marriage visa.

afaiu there were already married
I'm British.We had been married for 21 years when my wife and I came to the UK to live, but my wife still has to go through the same process as a fiance or a newly wed to get a visa to stay beyond the visa free period permitted by her passport. Photoinduction's problem seemed to be that he couldn't meet the income or saving requirement for bringing a partner to the UK. You have to show you have an adequate income to support both of you, and any children you may have.

Offline Red SquirrelTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2021, 10:43:54 pm »
Glad to see he's back at it!   8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf