Author Topic: Pneumonia virus in China - Can Ebay packages be infected?  (Read 38518 times)

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
Re: Pneumonia virus in China - Can Ebay packages be infected?
« Reply #650 on: March 07, 2020, 08:18:07 am »
Buying stocks in dunny paper industries may be a loser once things get back to normal in a few weeks,

after the initial re-stock boost in sales, orders will revert to what they once were, maybe less so once the selfish fools use what they have for the next 6 months/years..  ::)

unless one gets tipped off by insiders that another outbreak of (guess the next country = ?) flu is sort of planned or just happens due to whatever they say  :-//

FWIW > besides giving priority to pampering their rear ends during these trying times,
have the panic-tards thought about stocking up on kitty litter and or FOOD for their pets?  ???

Nappies/diapers for the kids and aged?  ???

idiots..  :palm:

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 08:33:30 am by Electro Detective »

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #651 on: March 07, 2020, 12:26:20 pm »
No-one is panicking for toilet paper in France. But the French made a big mistake by bringing people back from Wuhan without isolating them. As a direct result, the Mayor of Compiegne is dead. In France, 653 have been known to have contracted the virus. C'est la vie? C'est la guerre.

The toilet paper panic started as soon as the Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced people should buy extra essentials when they go shopping. It is like putting a red rag to a bull. If motormouth had kept his trap shut, it is unlikely we would be in this predicament. The kanban for toilet paper is quite small due to the bulky size and lack of storage so it does not take much for the supermarkets to run out of it. In the cities in Australia, it is now almost unobtainable.

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #652 on: March 07, 2020, 12:44:10 pm »
The toilet paper panic started as soon as the Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced people should buy extra essentials when they go shopping.

Rushing for toilet paper is better than rushing for medical masks and other important supplies. It could be a good divert to relieve the stress on truly important medical supplies.

Not saying it is bad. If it helps to fight the virus overall, why not.

Offline vad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #653 on: March 07, 2020, 02:28:30 pm »
On the original topic. There is a letter presumably from Dr. James Robb, renown virologist, that has been circulating on the Web recently. The letter claims that the virus can survive outside the host for about a week. Here is the quote:

“This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.”
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 02:30:54 pm by vad »

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #654 on: March 07, 2020, 02:55:22 pm »
This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you!

This virus infects the same cells using the same receptors as SARS, and SARS is known to transmit by aerosol (not predominant, only a few cases).

A building in HK uses to have a few dozen cases infected from aerosol generated in waste pipe during flushing (and like SARS, this virus is also detected in feces) during SARS.

Aerosol traveling back through improper U-shape tubes were determined as root cause of transmission by HK health authority.

I do believe aerosol transmission is a very little risk in open areas, but there is still a possibility in confined spaces, and no, your common surgical masks don't protect against it.

Also from Chinese cases on medical care professionals, more doctors got infected when intubating a patient than any other time. That's basically the worst aerosol scenario.

In real life outside a hospital and presumably nobody is coughing like hell hear you, I do think aerosol is not a threat, but it's prudent not to rule it out right now.

If I see someone coughing like hell, even if both of us are wearing surgical masks, I will make sure to stay far away form him.

Offline vad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #655 on: March 07, 2020, 04:09:35 pm »
This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you!

This virus infects the same cells using the same receptors as SARS, and SARS is known to transmit by aerosol (not predominant, only a few cases).

A building in HK uses to have a few dozen cases infected from aerosol generated in waste pipe during flushing (and like SARS, this virus is also detected in feces) during SARS.

Aerosol traveling back through improper U-shape tubes were determined as root cause of transmission by HK health authority.

I do believe aerosol transmission is a very little risk in open areas, but there is still a possibility in confined spaces, and no, your common surgical masks don't protect against it.

Also from Chinese cases on medical care professionals, more doctors got infected when intubating a patient than any other time. That's basically the worst aerosol scenario.

In real life outside a hospital and presumably nobody is coughing like hell hear you, I do think aerosol is not a threat, but it's prudent not to rule it out right now.

If I see someone coughing like hell, even if both of us are wearing surgical masks, I will make sure to stay far away form him.
If infected person sneezes directly into your face, you are out of luck, unless wearing properly fitted N95 mask and goggles. Realistically though, most people can’t protect themselves, if exposed to virus-loaded aerosols. All these procedure masks people are wearing on streets won’t help against direct exposure to aerosols. 

But, the point the doc was making, the aerosols will settle on surfaces, and, according to him, coronavirus can survive on surfaces for a week or so. Touching infected surface, and then carrying virus from the surface to your mouth, nose or eyes is another way the disease can be contracted. An average person has better chances to mitigate this risk. Washing hands often, using hand sanitizer, using nitrile or latex gloves, not touching face with your hands when outside - can help. And wearing procedure mask can help preventing uncontrollable mouth and nose touches.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 04:13:23 pm by vad »

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #656 on: March 07, 2020, 04:30:49 pm »
But, the point the doc was making, the aerosols will settle on surfaces, and, according to him, coronavirus can survive on surfaces for a week or so.

Aerosol is the tiny thing that floats in air. Droplet is the larger thing that falls to a surface. Masks don't protect against aerosols, but is reasonably effective against droplets.

Touching infected surface, and then carrying virus from the surface to your mouth, nose or eyes is another way the disease can be contracted.

Absolutely correct. This outbreak helped me to control my OCD on facial itch. Three times of military training of two weeks each (required by Chinese government for school kids before first day of class for middle school, high school and college) didn't correct my over zealous hands, this virus did.

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
« Reply #657 on: March 07, 2020, 05:33:43 pm »

That is also all that remains of this mass psychosis/mass hypnosis.

Online vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #658 on: March 07, 2020, 06:22:40 pm »

The liberals  would say us that people don't trust at "papa state" . And the consequence that people hog goods because the state is unable to resolve the trouble.

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
« Reply #659 on: March 07, 2020, 07:59:07 pm »

The liberals  would say us that people don't trust at "papa state" . And the consequence that people hog goods because the state is unable to resolve the trouble.
Yeah, they'd like that. Close to the truth...

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #660 on: March 07, 2020, 09:31:10 pm »
I saw on the news yesterday that two baggage handlers at Heathrow had become infected. It's pretty unlikely that they would have had direct passenger contact, so surface transmission is clearly a significant problem.
Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #661 on: March 07, 2020, 09:40:40 pm »
I saw on the news yesterday that two baggage handlers at Heathrow had become infected. It's pretty unlikely that they would have had direct passenger contact, so surface transmission is clearly a significant problem.

They could have had passenger contact while walking through the public parts of the airport, or while on the jet bridges.  Also, airline employees (even baggage handlers) get discount travel benefits, so they do more traveling than average.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 09:42:46 pm by edavid »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #662 on: March 07, 2020, 10:21:43 pm »

Complete rabid speculation by the media now there is a surprise  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #663 on: March 08, 2020, 02:18:43 am »

I doubt baggage would be to blame, and why weren't they wearing masks and gloves anyway as part of standard OHS?  ???

Perhaps the baggage handlers were handling something else the night before  :popcorn:
at the doof doof club or red light zone disco?  :-*

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #664 on: March 08, 2020, 01:25:33 pm »

Well, crap. My next door neighbour works at Heathrow! I'm wondering how to inquire about his health without getting too close to him  :-//

Italy locks down 16 million, 25% of the population. I was wondering if Western countries have the bottle to follow the Chinese model of mass quarantine, seems they might. Our numbers are tracking the Chinese, delayed by about a month. Anyway, shit is getting real.

There are couple of seats to the ISS if anyone fancies riding it out :)
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline jogri

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #665 on: March 08, 2020, 02:14:15 pm »
Well, crap. My next door neighbour works at Heathrow! I'm wondering how to inquire about his health without getting too close to him  :-//

A long-range IR thermometer is always an option.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #666 on: March 08, 2020, 11:23:27 pm »

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Online Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #667 on: March 08, 2020, 11:35:06 pm »

If you happen to see him, ask him without getting too close. Otherwise, if you don't know him well enough to have his phone number, it's probably not that important that you contact him anyway.

My local Costco has people wiping down the grocery cart handles as you enter the building. Other than that, I haven't see any precautions where I am. I have enough of everything for months if need be, but that's my normal situation...no panic buying required.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 11:37:16 pm by Nusa »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #668 on: March 08, 2020, 11:38:37 pm »
My local Costco has people wiping down the grocery cart handles as you enter the building.
Which is a good thing to do anyway.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline splin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #669 on: March 09, 2020, 03:31:05 am »
As a direct result, the Mayor of Compiegne is dead.

You're  sure about about that? Google doesn't seem to think so...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 04:55:49 am by splin »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #670 on: March 11, 2020, 08:26:02 am »
As a direct result, the Mayor of Compiegne is dead.

You're  sure about about that? Google doesn't seem to think so...

Even without g00gle, if the Mayor of Compiegne is dead, he hasn't been told yet..   ???

www.en24.news/u/2020/03/the-mayor-of-compiegne-announces-two-new-deaths-in-the-oise.html

..On the air of BFMTV, Philippe Marini, mayor of Compiegne, confirmed these two deaths during the weekend.

“These are elderly people who suffered from several other pathologies.”

:palm: :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf