Author Topic: Pokemon in Minecraft...  (Read 4161 times)

Offline daqqTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • My site
Pokemon in Minecraft...
« on: April 14, 2018, 01:53:24 pm »
...holy crap...

The insanity starts after 11:00.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Re: Pokemon in Minecraft...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 02:55:23 pm »
It's pretty neat what you can do with command blocks in this game.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 11:49:44 am »
I absolutely fail to grasp/comprehend/understand what the 'Thang' is with kids these days 'liking' MineCraft??   :phew: :scared:
The visual Graphics is absolute RUBBISH, so what is it that they SEE in it??

Maybe it's like 'South Park', as opposed to others, where the graphics/animations are deliberately crap, but that's part of it?  |O
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 12:19:10 pm »
Ever seen or used LEGO? It's just a pile of plastic bricks, what do people see there? :p

Just look at this video, realize what is possible within Minecraft, and you can quickly see what is so fascinating about the game.

Or would you rather see everyone just play the 112th iteration of Call of Duty?
I play a lot of games myself, and while i can appreciate nice graphics, they can never, for me at least, be the "be all, end all" in games. The "game" part is so much more important :p

The following users thanked this post: Cyberdragon, GlennSprigg

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 04:36:09 pm »
I absolutely fail to grasp/comprehend/understand what the 'Thang' is with kids these days 'liking' MineCraft??   :phew: :scared:

Maybe it's like 'South Park', as opposed to others, where the graphics/animations are deliberately crap, but that's part of it?  |O

OK Boomer.

It's one of the most modded and customized games ever. That is just the tip of the surface of what you can do, just with vanilla programming with command blocks and redstone. Modded gets even more crazy.

There are mods for just about everything out there, and alot of technical ones too (that don't require a VM setup) with several computer mods called Computer Craft and Open Computers that you can code your own graphical operating systems in game from scratch, program drones, do CAD and 3D printing, exc. Plenty of factory style mods too, while totally "video gamey" in their science, still involve critical thinking and engineering mindsets to build complicated systems. That's what gets kids and even adults to love science and engineering, rather than than scream at people in Fortnite and COD.

Sure, most annoying kids that play Minecraft are dumb and just want to kill other players and prank them cause that's what the popular youtubers do. But there are alot of smart people that do amazing things as well.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 01:06:59 pm »

OK Boomer.

It's one of the most modded and customized games ever. That is just the tip of the surface of what you can do, just with vanilla programming with command blocks and redstone. Modded gets even more crazy.

There are mods for just about everything out there, and alot of technical ones too (that don't require a VM setup) with several computer mods called Computer Craft and Open Computers that you can code your own graphical operating systems in game from scratch, program drones, do CAD and 3D printing, exc. Plenty of factory style mods too, while totally "video gamey" in their science, still involve critical thinking and engineering mindsets to build complicated systems. That's what gets kids and even adults to love science and engineering, rather than than scream at people in Fortnite and COD.

Sure, most annoying kids that play Minecraft are dumb and just want to kill other players and prank them cause that's what the popular youtubers do. But there are alot of smart people that do amazing things as well.

Hi there, Cyberdragon...  Hahaha... I guess I am a 'Boomer'.... as in...
https://www.vox.com/2019/11/19/20963757/what-is-ok-boomer-meme-about-meaning-gen-z-millennials
I don't take offense at that, although it seems it was originally derogatory!   ;D

I admit I was previously 'uneducated' about not just the original 'MineCraft' as it was, but the amount of work/effort that was being done
behind the scenes by many coders, to achieve what you showed me in the Youtube video in your answer to me!  I DID watch that video, and
I do now understand a lot more. And how it has become a 'Platform' to present and do many other things.  How ever...

I personally, am not in 'any' way a 'multi-player'/'online' sort of person, as I understand now that the likes of 'MineCraft' IS!  And I noticed a few
times within that Video, some text popping up to the effect of...
"Your screen resolution is too high for a live feed to be sent to other players!"...  Then I guess it 'clicked'! about details & transmission?.

Previously, Ranayna said to me...  "Ever seen or used LEGO? It's just a pile of plastic bricks, what do people see there? "
Yes... I GET that, and if it was a 'LEGO Simulator' then I would expect it to look like... 'LEGO'... that's a given! (Not into 'Call of Duty' either!)  ;D
I'm just surprised that 'kids these days', accept/tolerate the simplistic blocky graphics, as much as they do??   :-//

Have a nice day/night...  P.S...  How old are you??
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline sandalcandal

• Supporter
  • MOAR POWA!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 04:43:51 pm »
Previously, Ranayna said to me...  "Ever seen or used LEGO? It's just a pile of plastic bricks, what do people see there? "
Yes... I GET that, and if it was a 'LEGO Simulator' then I would expect it to look like... 'LEGO'... that's a given! (Not into 'Call of Duty' either!)  ;D
I'm just surprised that 'kids these days', accept/tolerate the simplistic blocky graphics, as much as they do??   :-//
AAA graphics make games appealing, sell to a broader audience and make money; more so with "young-adult" and older audiences but children are still children and can be equally entertained by an engaging puppet show as much as a multi-million dollar Disney movie. Ultimately games are play not watched/viewed which is something I guess people that don't actually play video games generally have trouble empathising.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 04:48:30 pm by sandalcandal »
Disclosure: Involved in electric vehicle and energy storage system technologies

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 06:29:08 pm »
Minecraft is coded in Java...and very poorly at that. You can easily change the textures to higher resolution of whatever you want all the way up to 4K with resource/texture packs (that's a built in feature), and with a mod called Optifine you can change the lighting engine (different engines are available called "shaders"), even adding AAA level ray-tracing. It's really pretty, but expect it to take a heavy toll on your PC. You really need a beefy machine to run it like that, especially with a bunch of other mods which will eat your CPU and RAM like crazy.

I'm 24 going on 25 BTW.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf