Author Topic: Politically Correct, Softly-Softly Language & an "offensive" Lamb Commercial  (Read 13723 times)

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
On the subject of odd words, I've recently noticed a lot of use of the word survivor, when they actually mean victim. In my opinion, surviving something implies that others didn't survive.

Althought the survivor sounds very bad , certain it is clarifier , we always know that he or she is lived.  On change , when the journalists use the word "victim" we never can know the true victim's states.
The victim may be dead, injured, raped, lived,dismembered, even the victim might be on various states on both same time. Such as the Schrödinger's paradox.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
The victim may be dead, injured, raped, lived,dismembered, even the victim might be on various states on both same time. Such as the Schrödinger's paradox.
Or the "victim" may simply "offended" because they are too stupid to understand their own language.
For example:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_about_the_word_%22niggardly%22#David_Howard_incident

I just watched a few of his interviews, he seems to be an intellegent man. Wonder why I haven't heard of him?
Too good for politics.
It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellowmen.
 ~George E. MacDonald
http://www.quotegarden.com/politics.html

Offline nessatse

• Regular Contributor

Quote from: AcHmed99 on Today at 13:18:20

>Quote from: rdl on Yesterday at 20:15:58
Dr. Benjamin Carson on Political Correctness: "PC is a Bad Thing"

I just watched a few of his interviews, he seems to be an intellegent man. Wonder why I haven't heard of him?

He also happens to be a young earth creationist, anti abortion, climate change denier, to name just a few of his other qualities.  Sort of puts a damper on his anti PC qualities, for me at least  :)

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
The first one is just nonsense. I'll pay that one.
No, it is not. It is a liability issue. They are careful about avoiding pronouncing a cause-effect relationship between the injuries and the patient's death.
It's also a case of not saying 'what appears' to have happened - because it may upset some people if the statement says "the riders were flipped over and trapped in the mechanical conveyor system, causing amputations and horrific injuries"  (apologies to those offended) but it's necessary to 'tone it down' in the wider media, because many people are shocked by lambs, teddy bears and golliwogs nowadays, and would rather not know the details.

(But we have a choice of Trump -or- Clinton in the USA)
Oh noes! You have combined threads! Don't cross the streams! :-DD

Quote from: AcHmed99 on Today at 13:18:20

>Quote from: rdl on Yesterday at 20:15:58
Dr. Benjamin Carson on Political Correctness: "PC is a Bad Thing"

He also happens to be a young earth creationist, anti abortion, climate change denier, to name just a few of his other qualities.  Sort of puts a damper on his anti PC qualities, for me at least  :)

You mean a hipocrit then?
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
That could easily be interpreted to be a child who has committed a sexual offence.
But practically never is interpreted that way.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
That could easily be interpreted to be a child who has committed a sexual offence.
But practically never is interpreted that way.

Sadly not true. I'm aware of some quite well known cases in the UK and the US. So, hardly ever, but sometimes.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf