General > General Technical Chat

POLL: Any Interest in an EEVblog Mastodon server?

(1/15) > >>

EEVblog:
As the poll says, should I bother to set up an EEVblog Mastodon server?
A couple of people have complained there isn't an electronics focussed server, whatever that matters for?  :-//
I don't use it myself, I'm all-in on Twitter.

Jackster:
I use to run a Mastodon instance a couple years ago. Around 50-60k users at the time.

I might be a bit behind on what it is like now but..
I don't really see the platform going anywhere tbh. It will sever it's current userbase well but won't get to large scale.

There is no monetisation for server owners so they are either running them at a loss or asking for donations. Granted most servers don't need the server scale that we ran with at 50-60k users and 10TB of media files.
Small instances can run on decent raspberry Pi boards..

Pretty much have 3 types of users on it.
Banned Twitter users.
Anti Twitter users
People who are on both platforms, that don't really pay attention to Masterdon.

There are also some servers that are into CP content. Said content can end up being pushed to your own server if you don't actively ban those servers from the start.

It could be interesting though as EE is so niche, even with a few hundred to a thousand users, finding interesting things and users would be easier than on Twitter where everyone is after attention.

If you do go ahead with it, I know the server stack pretty well. Happy to help out.

MrMobodies:
Seeing that it is decentralized I think it's an idea worth looking into especially if Twitter starts banning people/content or doing unfavourable stuff to the masses on there like what happened with Youtube and the dislike counter.

I wonder, is it possible to synchronize and replicate all of your Twitter posts and tweets on that platform just as a backup incase anything happens.

John B:
I've been hearing mixed things. I like the idea of decentralisation for social media. You can self select if you want an echo chamber.

But is it bound by german speech laws?

wilfred:

--- Quote from: John B on November 24, 2022, 12:30:42 am ---I've been hearing mixed things. I like the idea of decentralisation for social media. You can self select if you want an echo chamber.

But is it bound by german speech laws?

--- End quote ---

It seems to me it's the people who do the shouting that select whether you get an echo chamber. I suppose you could try talking about Nazis to find out if German laws apply.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version